Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

It's Cemetery Man, but Return is also pretty great and I'd definitely take it over Braindead. Which was a ton of fun the first time but doesn't feel nearly as re-watchable. Same problem the original Dawn has - easily one of the best movies I've ever seen on the first viewing, but there's just not much there to support re-engagement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I'm a hyperfixated weirdo when it comes to the original Dawn. At a guess I'd say I've seen Dawn around 200 times, and it's still as great to me as the first time.

Honestly I'm jealous. How do you feel about the remake?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

E: I'm campaigning for Leprechaun over Puppet Master just because while there are not one but TWO horrifically racist Leprechaun movies, at least none of them are explicitly Pro-Nazi.

I'm entirely willing to accept that I'm just bad at reading stuff but even the apparently Nazi Puppet Master movie is not explicitly so - I didn't see any of the poo poo people talk about with regard to "you're supposed to be rooting for the puppets" in it, and only knowledge of the people/production company involved can make that apparent. Even if we write that one off entirely, though, we've still got like 13 other movies that are at least 60% about how much Nazis suck. Including the one or two where you actually, explicitly, are supposed to be rooting for the puppets while they kill Nazis.

In conclusion, I'll take 13/14 anti-Nazi and 1/14 quasi-pro-Nazi over 2/8 racist and 6/8 who cares nobody's even seen the newest Leprechaun. It could be full Nazi for all we know.

On a related note, this is about the only way the brackets could have worked out to give Evil Bong a victory so hooray for that.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I'm outraged that Puppet Master lost to Leprechaun but either would fall to Chucky so whatever. I'm probably going to keep voting against Universal Monsters as long as the squad is their poster child - I watched it for the first time last challenge and it was the most disappointing thing I've seen in ages. Just amazing setup and then constantly fumbling it with only a couple of bright spots.

This round the only question marks are Ghoulies vs. Human Centipede, which I guess I finally have to watch, and HS vs. FD. My gut says Ginger Snaps since the first two are both really good and I can't remember much of anything about any of the Final Destinations, but I probably owe them a viewing with attention.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Sono posted:

Ghoulies/Centipede?

Nah, Bloodrayne is going to win Amityville vs. Prophecy. I'm going to watch the Human Centipede movies for this, but there's not enough wealth in the world to bribe me into engaging with Amityville.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The first two Predator movies are both good but only the first one is horror and Critters has way more good entries than you'd expect, so this feels like an easy Critters vote to me. The rest of these aren't even contests. I guess I do have to watch Prom Night 2 before voting closes to be sure, but one great movie isn't going to be enough to take down Tremors. I'm sad to be voting against Species in its very first matchup.

And Jaws is cool I guess but seriously it's up against TCM, this is an easy call.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

That's absolutely true and I hate voting against it, but against Hammer?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The only one of these that's really tough is NoES vs. Phantasm, and I have to give the nod to Phantasm. Even when the quality starts to suffer the movies are full of ideas and clearly have a lot of genuine passion put into them. NoES has some fantastic highs, but as was mentioned everything after Dream Warriors is forced at best (even when that ends up working out ok, like FvJ). If the franchise had managed to hold on to the quality and quantity of ideas being thrown around in the first three movies it would be a blowout in favor of NoES, but it really really didn't.

I really wish RE was up against Blade instead of Scream, because I fuckin' hate voting for Blade and not voting for RE, but that's how the matchups worked out.

Poltergeist vs. Hellraiser is the easiest call in the world in favor of Hellraiser - the first two movies are so good that it doesn't matter how many or how bad the sequels, the franchise is secure.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

Woo! Now I'm just going to nail this petition to get that Monster Squad image changed on the cathedral door.

But then I have to think things through rather than just snap voting against it, Monster Squad is a valuable public service.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Sarx posted:

Yeah, there's some definite "I haven't seen the whole franchise" bias to this voting because if you've watched all of FDtD and PA, there's almost no way you could say the former is better. PA's mythos is actually more interesting than you'd think even if the shtick does start to wear on you when marathoning the films. FDtD just barely squeaks one good movie out of its concept.

I mean yes, I'll freely admit to not having watched every PA movie and I'm probably never going to; I just don't care about found footage enough to watch a movie solely because it's found footage, and that was all the first PA had going for it. Adequate found footage. But that's a perfectly reasonable way to evaluate a franchise - the first movie is more important than the others, and having a strong start that trails off into garbage is way better than having a weak first movie and then recovering a little bit (especially if the recovery never actually reaches greatness). If you want to point me to one of the PA sequels you think is as good as or better than the first FDtD I'll give it a watch, but if all they can manage is "not as bad as you expect" I don't like their odds.

You're 100% right about Basket Case though, I blame all the degenerate losers who voted Leprechaun over Puppet Master.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

It's certainly better than 6, which sucks.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Very tough to vote against Re-Animator but I had to do it.

Same but the exact opposite. You, of all posters, I expected better from - this is tantamount to voting against From Beyond. I mean I don't like voting against Alien, but there's no choice this time.

And yes, one RotLD is enough to carry the franchise, but it doesn't have to because there's also part 3.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

and for that alone we must bury it

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

I never said the first movie was the best, only that there was usually consensus on which in the franchise was best

I don't think anyone is attacking your personal picks here or anything, they're disagreeing on the bit about consensus saying first film is usually best, which you did say:

Shrecknet posted:

I would venture every other franchise has a consensus best film (usually the first)

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I can see how someone who just watched all the Tremors sequels might feel like the results are being dominated by single-movie voting, but yeah it's just variance in how heavily people weight the standouts and the dreck. I'll forgive a lot of pointless garbage if you've got something as good as the first two Hellraisers, while if you never rise above "that was okay, I guess" I don't really care that you have fifty perfectly okay movies to your name. Other people feel differently.

edit: Well, that and people not actually watching Hammer stuff. Monsters.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Ironically it will probably be my "suck it up and vote responsibly" compulsion that gets me to pull the lever for Jason.

That behavior is why you will never get a good candidate in the actual election. Vote Wishmaster. Follow your heart.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I remain baffled that so many people don't appreciate Prometheus. It has a couple of flaws but if you want to stack it up against the weaker Exorcist movies we're looking at a complete blowout in favor of the Xenomorphs. I still need to watch Covenant, and maybe the good cut of III (is that streaming anywhere?) - on the Exorcist side I've seen the first three, which as far as things people claim are good go I guess I should watch...the TV show? That just sounds annoying.

I should watch the first two Universal Frankensteins before I make up my mind on that one, but given the decision that Universal Monsters is actually The Wolfman Saga and doesn't include The Invisible Man it's really hard to get excited about checking the rest out. From a distance there's just nothing interesting about Larry and I'd rather have Hammer Dracula.

I hate Friday the 13th as a franchise just because there's so much wasted potential. Every time one of the entries comes close to greatness the MPAA cuts out all the violence or something. Probably still better than Wishmaster but ugh.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Romero vs. Return is an interesting debate because percentage-wise I think it's a very close parallel to Chucky vs. Universal. Even Universal's staunchest defenders admit that it's a wildly uneven set, where despite there being several all-time greats they're surrounded by some mediocrity and some dreck. Child's Play, on the other hand, is (excepting Evil Dead) the single most consistently high-quality franchise in horror history. Sure there's probably no individual movie in there you love as much as Bride, but the fact that we're like seven movies deep and the only one that gets any actual hate from anyone (seed) gets a similar amount of love from other audiences. The actual nadir of this franchise is Child's Play 3, and it's still got some good stuff (https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3412431/lets-admire-awesome-haunted-attraction-childs-play-3/). The rest is all good to great, weaving across subgenres and maintaining a strong sense of continuity and character. It's the best Brad Dourif showcase we've got, and he's the best part of most of the movies he's in. Like, without him the Exorcist franchise is down to one great movie. And you get tons of him here!

Chucky is Romero, is what I'm getting at here, but with a better average. I'm still going to try to watch the Frankenstein core before I finalize my vote, but I'm having trouble finding a good copy of the original so that's been a pain.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Archive.org has a bunch of the early Universal monster movies, if that's helpful to anyone catching up on them

Thank you! I checked them for Frankenstein but apparently putting in Whale's name instead of Universal made sure I didn't find it. If this and Bride sway my vote, they will have you to thank.

I am sad you're not digging your time with Chucky more, though. I remember when Cult came out buzz in the thread was like "yo there are two more Chucky movies than you've even heard of and they're both pretty good" and I was puzzled because, like, the killer doll series I haven't thought about since part III was kind of boring? Really? Then I watched Curse and Cult and they were both so good and so different from what I expected that it made me reconsider and revisit the whole thing, and I just love it all as a package now. That it's managed to stay so coherent and consistent while going in so many different directions is a really unique achievement and the way Cult ends is just such a great, optimistic setup for potential future stories that I find it impossible not to be excited about the franchise. I haven't seen the 2019 yet just because a remake at that point in franchise continuity felt like such a sad and needless thing when it was so much healthier than any of the other classics, but people claim it's pretty good too and really I can forgive it since, like, it's a direction all the major franchises have gone so maybe it was sensible for Chucky to check it out once. I hope Fiona Dourif gets to go to a space station in the next movie or two, though.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I don't like voting against Hellraiser, but the time has finally come. Sad day.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

It's obviously not better craft-wise, but it's full of ideas and that counts for a hell of a lot. The prequel to Halloween 3 is a more interesting story than anything you could possibly do with Michael at this point and it's criminal that it's just been left on the table like that.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Alien vs. NotLD is the first matchup where I really don't know which way I lean. I hope I don't have to watch all the bad sequels as a tie breaker.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Pretty much every argument you could make in favor of Friday the 13th over Universal applied to Chucky as well, only Chucky maintains a consistently higher level of quality than F13 with both better standout movies and low points that aren't as low. Friday the 13th is missing its Cult/Curse to make me go "wow this is a great franchise that can both still make its classic approach interesting and veer off in really cool and interesting new directions". You people passed over a delicious and reliable omelette and now you're championing oatmeal for its consistency. Most of these bowls don't even have cinnamon or anything in them. gently caress that, Universal gets this one easy.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I can't say I'm upset with either outcome of Night vs. Aliens even though my pick lost, but F13 beating the mess that knocked Chucky out is just shameful. Shame.

If we could swap Nightmare and Lecter's positions in the current matchups this would be a pair of easy calls, but even with what we have it doesn't feel too tough to me - I love a lot about Nightmare, but Evil Dead is the only franchise present that doesn't have a single movie worse than good and depending on who you ask it has 1-3 greats. Wouldn't shock me if there's someone out there who puts it at 4, even, though I haven't met 'em personally. That at least ties Nightmare for greats without any of the dreck along for the ride. The only regret to be had here is that Nightmare's premise is better and it feels like the sort of thing that the genre should really aspire to, so I want to give it some bonus points for that, but as someone in here has been pointing out all thread the actual movies have consistently failed the franchise. It just can't stand up to the rock solid record of Evil Dead, however sad it is to see it go down.

Lecter vs. Halloween... I don't think there's any question that I like and respect the body of work that comes with Lecter more, and my feeling is that Halloween 4+ is straight up trash until we get to Rob's work which is still kind of rough around the edges. I think Lecter just falls a little too far outside what I want from horror to feel good about voting for it, somehow. Because even though the later Halloweens suck, they mostly suck on account of the core story and characters - there are still some great peripheral elements. I think setting your movie on Halloween is straight up cheating in some ways because it's just the absolute best time of the year and watching kids in costumes run around while a dead body's stuck in a tree is just never ever going to get old. Even if the movie it's in sucks. So I feel gross and bad about it, and I feel like my vote is incorrect and purely driven by sentimentality, but I'm voting for Halloween here. I'm going to go take a hot shower now.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

This was the easiest round we've had in ages, with Evil Dead and Romero both going up against much weaker competition than they had in the last round. Even though Romero doesn't win on proportion of good movies as handily as Evil Dead does, the highs are so much higher than Friday that it feels even less fair. I do feel like I've been poo poo-talking F13 a lot this tournament, and while it deserves most of that I should be clear that it's not a bad franchise or anything - every single entry is at least some kind of weird, and that counts for a lot. It's just that whenever an entry does something spectacularly well it fumbles three other things and we never get a standout movie from the lot. We might be looking at a more even fight if the MPAA hadn't butchered the otherwise coolest one, or if Jason X's middle section hadn't been so much flabbier than I remembered. Still, it's merciful to put the old boy down here before next round involves Evil Dead vs. a literal Evil Dead fan film and it's just embarrassing for Jason.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

TheBizzness posted:

I actually think the first movie gets a bad rap. I understand the problems people have with it, but it has a couple decent jump scares (one all-timer) and I really enjoy the atmosphere and sound design.

I agree - it's definitely not a great movie, and it feels a little hollow going into it knowing who the killer is, but there's some good stuff in there including the absolute best corpse-through-window throw in the entire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I had to spend a while thinking this one over, but I think I've settled on Romero's zombies for best franchise and sequel, Evil Dead for best gore and remake. Easiest first:

Best remake is no contest. On the Romero side they both feel like echoes - there are some real points of strength in both movies and they're absolutely worth watching, but they're uneven and stay so close to the source material that they end up feeling like lesser copies to me. Evil Dead 2013 actually has ideas of its own and is good to great all the way through.

Best gore has solid arguments either way, but style-wise I love what Evil Dead does and I've just never cared that much for the Savini approach. There's more breadth to it - that pencil into the ankle in the original ED actually made me wince the first time I saw it, and the fountains of blood never stop being fun. All that really sticks with me for gore on the Romero side is a bunch of (admittedly excellent) zombie makeup, and a bunch of piles of intestines. Intestines just don't do much for me.

Best sequel is where it starts getting hard for me. Evil Dead 2 gets tremendous credit for polishing and refining the spirit of the original, but it's also...nicer, I guess. Slapstick in horror can be a lot of fun, and it certainly is here, but it feels like something was lost. Dawn sharpened its fangs instead of filing them down, and I think I have to give it the nod for that.

I still haven't seen any of the Evil Dead TV series so I guess we can call my vote on best franchise tentative, and I hope I'll be able to make some time for it, but when I make myself tune out all the cultural noise that's followed them there's just no competing with the Night-Dawn-Day sequence. Honestly, though, I'm surprised that people are spending so much time talking up Romero's influence as a factor in his favor here - it came close to costing him my vote. If we look at the stuff most obviously and directly inspired by his zombies, it's overwhelming in quantity and almost all of it sucks. Try to trace the most direct lines out of Evil Dead, and you have a lot of really great movies.