Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Man, how can Alien not win this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Shrecknet posted:

Reminder this first, ranked-choice vote is just to establish seeds for the eventual brackets. There will be plenty of heads up voting later

EDIT: Hey folks I already, in true goon project fashion, hosed up with creating the poll and using the default 3 winners instead of 59 winners to create actual rankings. If you already submitted your vote (all 9 of you) please use the link in this (or the OP) again and re-submit. I am an rear end in a top hat. I am sorry.

This is great, you're doing great! I hosed up my first vote by only voting for one so this works out just swell!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Jedit posted:

Because Alien: Resurrection and Prometheus count.

Prometheus is in the top 3 of Alien films you heathen, I'd fight you irl if it weren't for social distancing.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
There's two Exorcists in those brackets my man.

vv I wouldn't hesitate to vote for Jurassic Park if it had just been the first three movies, but as it is I gotta go with Psyho.

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 23, 2020

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Shrecknet posted:

This is a bizarre take since JW2 is straoght up gothic horror down to a monster on a castle spire siholetted in the moon

I have never seen any of the new ones

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Watch Kvlt! drop their Evil Bong essay just in time to knock out Friday the 13th.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

TrixRabbi posted:

poo poo, how did we all miss Silence of the Lambs/Hannibal Lecter?

Oh gently caress, seriously. That should have been a top contender.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Speaking of snubs, would Argento's Three Mothers trilogy have counted?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
This isn't meant as criticism of you OP btw, you're doing a great job!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
This is entirely a boob vs butt people discussion.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Yeah sorry, current situation is making everyone a bit thirsty I suppose.

I'm pleased with Psycho knocking out Jurassic Park! Now in my entirely uninformed opinion of having watched Psycho and not a single Friday the 13th, I think Psycho should knock out that franchise as well.
I have never even heard of Feast, let alone a horror series of that name. I doubt it has a chance against Child's Play, but I am interested to watch. Anyone want to make a case for it?\

Another series we missed is Ring/Ringu

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
All Leprechauns have been dogshit, and I won't let some Nazi dipshits hijack the entire Puppet Master franchise bad enough to lose to THAT.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ah gently caress, I was specifically holding off my vote until the weekend cause I thought we'd have time until monday. Please give us more of a heads up next time.
loving shameful voting of Underworld and Leprechaun, smh.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Are we counting The 9th Configuration as an Exorcist movie?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The idea of Ginger Snaps sequels always felt silly to me since it came to such a good conclusion in the first part - how is the rest of the series?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I have to admit that I was really close to voting for The Purge but Exorcist 3 is so drat good, I just can't.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Reminder that Species is single-handedly responsible for inventing the Chupacabra. What other horror movie can even come close to claiming a comparable influence on culture outside of cinema?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Can someone point me towards a legit good Hammer horror movie? I've been very bored by Vampire Lovers, Vampire Circus and Satanic Rites of Dracula, but I greatly enjoyed Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires and Captain Kronos:Vampire Hunter but I wouldn't call them "good good".

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm defintely watching Bloodrayne before either Friday 13th or Saw, don't @ me

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
This is exactly why there was the Bloodrayne option in previous rounds. Bring back Bloodrayne!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I can't wait for Wishmaster to wipe the floor with Friday 13th so we can at least postpone this discussion.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

STAC Goat posted:

I'd give it a watch tonight but none of the Ghoulies movies seem to be streaming anywhere. I would have thought they'd be locks for Tubitv.

Do your part in defeating the zombie plague!

Ghoulies III: Ghoulies Go To College (lol what?)
https://tubitv.com/movies/369850

Ghoulies IV
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CNJK8KC?camp=1789&creativeASIN=B07CNJK8KC&ie=UTF8&linkCode=xm2&tag=justwatch09-20

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Tremors 2 is at least good for a surprise chair to the back of some second rate Dracula.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I can't be the only one who is incredibly jealous of Jedit still being able to watch Evil Dead 2 for the very first time in 2020.

edit: Also it strikes me how Evil Dead is the only franchise here that consists entirely of very good movies.

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 22, 2020

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

STAC Goat posted:

But like to me the rape or eyeball or nailgun stuff stands out way more. Its a brutal film that gives no real quarter. And I don't generally seek those out or love them but Evil Dead '13 works for me for whatever reason.

It's that elusive "tone" thing that I'm never quite able to put into proper words, and I'm not even sure is real. But Evil Dead remake somehow manages to not feel like someone is figuratively or literally jerking off behind the camera, nor does it come off as "ironic". It's just good, horrifying fun that keeps the spirit of the franchise.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
There's always a next year for redemption (or next Halloween)! Lots of franchises that were shamefully left out, lots of total jobbers, lots of opportunity to watch new movies.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Lake Placid is a great subversion of so many creature feature conventions. It's really good and catches you completely off guard with how wholesome it is.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
gently caress, Alien vs. Exorcist is a hard one. Personally I'm tending towards Alien, but having recently seen Beyond The Door reminded me how well made Exorcist is compared to any other movie in the rather dire exorcism movie subgenre. Exorcist III is of course wonderful, and if we count The 9th Configuration (are we?) there is probably more versatility in that franchise than in anything else in the competition.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Shrecknet posted:

please please please don't ask how long this took

Man, we need gang tags.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ah, the eternal Prometheus discussion (it's a masterpiece).

It's insane that anyone would rank Leprechaun above Wishmaster. Not that Wishmaster is great, it got this far because of pure luck, but Leprechaun sucks so, so much.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Prometheus is way more sci-fi and more horror than most Alien movies though.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Not the right thread but all the humour in Hereditary was absolutely intentional.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I've never even seen a Friday the 13th movie but I can guarantee you that Wishmaster is better than any of them. Vote Wishmaster or perish!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

TrixRabbi posted:

gently caress, I know a sci fi bracket was floated as a potential follow up to this but I just realized how much Star Wars bickering that will entail and the idea just exhausted me right then and there.

We can all just agree to exclude Star Trek and Star Wars and the obvious champ, Alien.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Sarx posted:

The fact that they are making a Scream 5 is baffling to me.

Scream 1 was a meta-commentary about slasher movies.
Scream 2 at least had some meta-commentary about sequels.
Scream 3 tried to continue this premise with trilogies but that was obviously a huge stretch.
Scream 4 was a meta-commentary about reboots.

What would Scream 5 possibly be about that's worth doing? What is left?

Scream 5 is gonna be a Nightmare crossover and a commentary on cinematic universes.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Nobody is cheering on the Scream killers though, a big appeal of the series is seeing them eat poo poo.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Shrecknet posted:

Bruh.

Aliens defined what scifi action/horror would look like to this day. Halo, Gears, most sci fi completely lives under the shadow of Aliens.

That may be true, but is ANY of it actually good? I'd argue that Alien has irrevocably ruined the entire genre due to its influence.
The zombie genre, as dire as it is nowadays, has some drat good entries other than Romero's, but still thanks to him.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

STAC Goat posted:

I mean... there's probably more terrible zombie things out there than alien horrors.

Oh absolutely. But if we're talking influence, we'd be missing out on a whole lot of horror classics without the Romero trilogy, whereas Alien has given us pretty much nothing genuinely good that I can think of off hand (though I'd love to be reminded)

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Someone PLEASE kill Jason already!

Lecterverse should have it in the bag based on pure quality of entries, if we assume Manhunter is as good as Halloween I, what other Halloweens can measure up to Silence?
Also R.I.P. Freddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Makes u think