Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Ok, finally got the voting thing to work (apparently it doesn't work in my new experimental browser, which is a black mark against the browser). I tried to basically go like the franchises with the largest number of good movies went highest not really counting how many bad movies you had against you coughHellraisercough. Then the ones that I don't really know the franchises but they had a great first film. Then the ones I don't really like but I'm familiar with. And finally the ones I don't think I've ever seen a single film of.

I shall try and expand my horizons in April. Except probably not Human Centipede.

Basket Case is a perfect trilogy imo. The only reason I didn't put it in my top 5 is because this is a really strong bracket. And the original Human Centipede is worth watching, it's pretty much a dark comedy for most of the runtime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

The greatness of Return of the Living Dead makes it the better franchise all on it's own. Return of the Living Dead is the best zombie movie ever made.

Better than Braindead? Honestly I dont think I could choose a favourite zombie movie, there's way too many perfect entries

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I'm a hyperfixated weirdo when it comes to the original Dawn. At a guess I'd say I've seen Dawn around 200 times, and it's still as great to me as the first time.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Irony.or.Death posted:

Honestly I'm jealous. How do you feel about the remake?

I only saw it once when it came out, and I thought it was okay. It departs enough from the original Dawn that I didn't think a side by side comparison was necessary. I thought the zombie girl scene at the beginning was well done, I liked the touches of humour, and it introduced me to Richard Cheese, which I appreciated.

I've since seen a lot of discussion about the homophobia in the film, and I can definitely see that. The original Dawn dealt with a lot of race issues, but the racists were always unambiguously the bad guys. So it's disappointing that the remake has homophobes presented sympathetically. It really doesn't feel in keeping with the spirit of the franchise.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

A very bad snub and why I would have preferred we spent some time "playing in" and choose the field by council/community. But them's the brackets. Always snubs from the mysterious choosers.

What's the homophobia in it? I've seen the Dawn remake a million times and I can't think of anything unless you read a lot into that one quick scene of a dude trying on heels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjm6gdzhoTs

Scaredy Cats does a quick breakdown of it, he speaks about it specifically at the 14min mark, but the whole video is pretty good and sets up the context

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

married but discreet posted:

Speaking of snubs, would Argento's Three Mothers trilogy have counted?

I think this was discussed in the Horror Thread, and the decision was to not count it because the films aren't within the same continuity

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I remember at the time just being happy that there was LGBTQ+ representation of any type, even if it was just a stock character. The only horror films I can remember seeing during the period that do it really well are maybe The Doom Generation, and that came out about a decade prior.

I do remember seeing that scene though! I just don't remember if it was in the cut I saw or maybe I tracked down deleted scenes afterwards, which I guess is possible as it was around the time that YouTube was becoming a thing

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I voted Ginger Snaps, simply because of the two franchises it easily has the more personality. Without going to the wiki, I couldn't tell you who any of the characters in Final Destination were, they're almost all interchangeable. Everything is milquetoast and extremely unmemorable, until it's time for someone to die, then it excels. Ginger Snaps on the other hand has two of the most memorable female characters in all horror, and it drips with personality from the very first shots of them posing as murder victims

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

married but discreet posted:

The idea of Ginger Snaps sequels always felt silly to me since it came to such a good conclusion in the first part - how is the rest of the series?

I haven't seen Ginger Snaps Back, but Ginger Snaps 2 is a lot better than it has any right to be

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

I will tell you, based on early results, it is entirely possible for Uwe Boll's Bloodrayne to win one of these matchups. Just not this one:

NotLD clearly didn't stand a chance against the mighty SNDN

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

It's a shame that Gremlins didn't have a third installment, because those first two movies could carry it a long way. I'd even put it over the F13 series

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Look at this guy mocking my plans for tonight.

edit: For real, my plans tonight are to watch Exorcist II and Poltergeist III and I'm having serious second thoughts.

I watched Exorcist, Poltergeist, Re-Animator, Bride of Re-Animator, and Candyman over the last few days. But suddenly I've discovered my flaw in binging multiple franchises at once plan when you hit all their low points at once.

Poltergeist 3 is a treat, it's miles better than Exorcist 2

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I decided to give the Leprechaun series a watch, seeing as I'd never seen them before. Within the first half hour of the first movie I realised that I'd actually seen it before, and my mind must have completely scrubbed the memory asif it were a severe childhood trauma.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

For anyone else curious about The Prophecy, a content warning: It contains a scene of a child being groomed and then sexually assaulted, and the perpetrator is portrayed as a heroic character. It's explained away as innocent in the context of the film, but JFC, who the gently caress thought that scene was a good idea :gonk:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Yep, that's the scene. I only say heroic because the character sacrifices himself in order to protect the child's identity, but I 100% agree that the angels are dicks. I think the film would have worked a lot better as a trashy supernatural romance. Ditch the child, swap out Elias Koteas with Adrian Paul or David Boreanaz, and introduce some real sexual tension with Virginia Madsen, or better yet with Viggo :swoon:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

Honestly could go either way. Blair Witch re-launched found footage, but Basket Case has a head in a basket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tOOYAfIn7k

The Basket Case films are a dumb, joyful, sleazy, grimey, funny, gorey, charming series about the love between two brothers. What really elevates them is the compassion everyone involved clearly has for their characters. These aren't just films about a murderous head in a basket, they're films about a murderous head in a basket that will warm your heart

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I voted TCM for bullshit personal reasons. I remember being about twelve, and my older brother and his friends were having a party, and around 3am/4am someone put on TCM. Everyone but me had been drinking, and passed out within the first hour of the film. So it was just my little rear end, a movie I had never heard of before, surrounded by about 10 passed out bodies, and it felt like an education, it felt like I was being initiated into a higher plane of horror. I remember vividly the scene where the family are gathered around the table, trying to help the grandfather wield the hammer, and my young mind was absolutely blown. Just as the movie ended, the sun came streaming through my windows, in a fantastic blue light, and I finally allowed myself to sleep. If NotLD made me a horror fan, TCM absolutely cemented my love, and made me chase that feeling ever since.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I'm just catching up with Sleepaway Camp. I initially thought that nothing could match up to Evil Dead, and maybe it doesn't, but holy poo poo is that a crazy movie. There's no way the rest of the franchise could possibly match the first film, right!?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

They get campier and funnier but not necessarily crazier or better. Definitely check them out though, they're a lot of fun.

I'll take campy and funny!

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Child's Play is obviously going to beat Leprechaun, but I'm really glad that I went back and watched some of the Leprechaun films. The first one sucks on toast, but the rest are really a lot more fun than people give them credit for.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

And apparently it was produced by WWE Studios too, which isn't exactly as bad a sign as you might think. They fart out a few decent b-movies every now and then, like The Marine 5 (not horror)

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

This is how I rank them.

1. Part 3 (best scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R3G_beQccA)
2. Part 4: Final Chapter
3. Jason X
4. FvJ
5. Part 2
6. Part 7: New Blood
7. Friday (2009)
8. Part 6: Jason Lives
9. Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan
10. Jason Goes to hell
11. Part 5: A New Beginning
Unranked: Part 1 (gently caress animal cruelty)

e: Jason X is awesome. Good taste is for assholes
vvvvv

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 9, 2020

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

My favourite Jason is Part 2/3/4 era. There's something human, relatable, and feral about him. He's just a big, adorable, easily-confused momma's boy. Then all of that character building is gone once he turns into a zombie, except of course for the end of Manhattan.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I just watched Cube and Cube Zero. Cube I thought was a really fun, nice little bottle movie. It had the feel of an intimate student film, or stage play. I hated the dramatic shaky camera during the Doctor's death, it reminded me of Star Trek in a bad way. The practical effects were really nice. All in all I enjoyed myself, and thought maybe the Universal monsters would have some competition. Then I watched Cube Zero, and now I'm voting for the Universal monsters.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

One thing that Cube did that I don't recall seeing before, is that it explicitly states that there is no grand plan, no observer, no conspiracy. It's all just a Godless universe, and incredibly complex evil systems can just emerge and trap people mindlessly. The implication being that we're all creating metaphorical cubes for ourselves and others in our daily lives. Everytime we go to work, or buy a coffee, we're materially contributing to the misery in world. Then Cube Zero says nah forget that, here is a million layers of weak universe building negating all that, have fun. They do melt a dude within the first ten minutes though, so that's fun. Is guess Cube 2 is more of the same?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

This is the easiest bracket for me. I'm voting for what has brought me the most joy. While I acknowledge that Alien is the more accomplished series, it hasn't brought me nearly as much unbridled pleasure as Re-Animator and Bride of Re-Animator. The same goes for RotLD. Final Destination holds more of an even keel throughout the series, but nothing there touches the genius of the fist RotLD.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The Virgin Death vs The Chad Julie Walker

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

TheBizzness posted:

I voted Alien but I am going to watch Re-Animator tomorrow and give it a fair shake. I haven’t seen it in 15+ years and Alien + Aliens are fresh in my mind from a couple of weeks ago.

If you can watch Bride of Re-Animator too. I prefer it over Re-Animator, as they really pushed the crazy zombie effects to the next level

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I'll say that you can count all of the z-grade NotLD ripoffs as long you're willing to watch them all, and report back with proof.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I'm hoping that we have three zombie franchises moving forward into the next round. Fingers crossed!

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

You know, I'm not sure if I've ever seen Ghoulies 2 now that I think of it. I liked the first one well enough but I think that's all I saw.

But NotLD is one of those movies I just stop everything and watch when I come across it. And Dawn and Day are good. And Land is ok. Diary is bad. Never seen Survival.

I thought I hadn't seen Survival, but then I came across a Facebook memories post a few weeks ago which suggests that I enjoyed it. I have zero recollection of actually watching it, but I kind of trust past me. Then again I also thought Diary was okay, so :shrug:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I am utterly irrational about everyone declaring Exorcist III better than Exorcist. Like I get why people feel that way but I'm just apoplectic about it.

:same:

Three is the more accessible entry, but the original is definitely superior imo

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I voted for Candyman. The first film stands above everything in the NoES franchise, and I actually really like the second Candyman more than most NoES films. It's nowhere near as great as the first film, but it's a solid little moody film, and I don't hate the flashbacks.

I voted Scream, not because I really care for the franchise, but because Blade is an empty vessel.

Evil Dead, because of course.

Hellraiser because of course. Hellraiser has two great films, Dusk has one, but I'm going to jump into the later sequels of both films this week just to double check. Wish me luck :smith:

Also Hammer was robbed!

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

I would say more matchups with longer voting period to allow more time to watch the movies we haven't yet.

:agreed:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I'm rewatching Candyman 2 to confirm that it's as good as I remember, but it's just really mediocre. Tony Todd and Veronica Cartwright give excellent performances, but it's not enough to cut through all of the time wasted on white anxiety bullshit and boring milquetoast characters. I'm going to keep my vote for Candyman because I'm really not much of a fan of the Freddy films, but I'm not going to be mad when Freddy wins.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

That one definitely wasn't an objective pick for me. Like, I objectively realize that NOES has more good movies in it than Candyman but I just like Tony Todd's Candyman more. Always have. So I voted for Candyman. Not really based on logic, but that's ok.

:same:

It's just a shame we don't have Jordan Peele's Candyman yet, maybe that could have tipped the scales? If it ever comes out.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

This is a bit last minute, but I'm changing my vote from Hellraiser to From Dusk Till Dawn. I just watched both FDTD sequels back to back and they're very fun b-movies. They're flawed of course, but at least they're consistently entertaining. Now more cynical people might say that I'm just reeling from the trauma of watching Hellraiser 4, 5, 9, and 10 yesterday, and to them I say yes, absolutely, but still...

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I voted for Scream, but I'd question the logic of voting for something based upon its historical context. If that's what you want to do, that's valid. For me though, there are a lot of Historically Important films which I respect, but would never recommend to anyone as a worthwhile viewing experience

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The Alien films are fine, but none of them come close to the power of The Exorcist or The Exorcist III. The Exorcist isn't just a great horror film, it's a great film. Who could forget the iconic image of Max von Sydow in silhouette against the beaming window light, Linda Blair's rasping whisp like breath clawing at the air, the terror in Ellen Burstyn's voice as she pleads with Jason Miller's Father Karris, or Karris' own terror at the dreamlike image of his lost, spectral mother. The film is a nightmare, pulled from the depths of the human imagination. Growing up I could see Alien on the television, it was accessible and ordinary. To watch The Exorcist you needed a friend with a bootlegged grainy copy, because it was deemed so terrifying, so galling, so dangerous and beyond the pale, that it could not be allowed to exist within the public domain.

The film itself is such a rewarding, uncanny experience that rewards multiple examinations and repeat viewings. Beyond being just scary, it's a work of incisive art that reflects back at you what you bring to it. It works at the level of a straightforward theological tale of good versus evil, but it also works as a nonreligious tale of a parent's spiralling terror as their daughter is inhabited by something beyond conventional understanding. Just that visceral, medical body horror, and psychological horror of having a child whose faculties are being slowly replaced by something which is beyond distressing, beyond transgressive, and just the sheer panic of needing to turn anywhere, and place your child's wellbeing in the hands of anyone just for the chance of improving their quickly disintegrating mental state. You watch The Exorcist and you fear for not just the characters, but the actors. After watching The Exorcist the first time I remember asking a friend if Linda Blair needed serious psychological help after putting themselves through that ordeal as an actor.

As for The Exorcist III, I would put Brad Dourif's monologues alone against any Alien film. "Show don't tell" is such an often repeated phrase in film and television, yet here is a film that shows you nothing and tells you everything in excruciating levels of slow, deliberate detail, and is all the better because of that fact. All that is contrasted with George C. Scott's firey, ragged, emotionally unhinged performance, as he moves through the film cauterising everyone he touches. And the scares in Alien come from things lurking in the dark, waiting to leap out at you. The Exorcist III says "No!", this is your grandma with dementia in bright lighting, and she's going to crawl along the ceiling and chop your head off with a mortician's giant gardening shears, and they actually make it work! Honestly it would be an excellent film even without the Exorcist name.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea definitely if you're just gonna watch one make it Exorcist II.

Reminder that Exorcist II is directed by John Boorman(Excalibur, Deliverance, Point Blank).

How are you going to mention Boorman and not mention Zardoz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Which is how the whole "Larry Talbot Saga" idea was born. The movies that actually do kind of canonically connect with each other. Which I believe we determined was Dracula, Frankenstein, Bride, Dracula's Daughter, Wolfman, Son of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman, House of Dracula, House of Frankenstein, and Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein. And in hindsight I think Invisible Man and Invisible Man Returns kind of loosely get looped in technically.

So I made this into a Letterboxd list and I'm going to try and work through my gaps this week. Let me know if anything is missing!

https://letterboxd.com/debbiedoesdagon/list/the-larry-talbot-saga/