Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
BNA
Otome/Bakarina
Tower of God

Continuing Railgun S3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Qwertycoatl posted:

Tower of God didn't do anything interesting in the first episode. People have been hyping it, does the source get better later on or is it a bad adaptation?
It's been so long since I read the starting chapters of ToG that the first episode had this very empheral, mystical quality to it that I thought was rather neat but upon actually rereading said chapters they skipped over quite a bit to actually ease people into the setting (most notably in Yuri just kind of showing up out of nowhere). That said yes it does get significantly better as it goes on, its had a million arcs by this point that ebb and flow with quality but if nothing else just has a lot going on in it that I find very compelling.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Silver2195 posted:

I enjoyed the first few arcs but stopped reading towards the end of the Hoaquin/Hell Train arc, vaguely meaning to pick it up against at some point. Do later arcs have more compelling villains than Hoaquin? Because it's disappointing that after Khun made fun of Viole for pretending to be a "villain from a third rate fantasy pulp," we got an unironic storyline about a smug guy who brags about how he killed a billion people because his daddy didn't love him.
Hoaquin/White is a literal Team Bam party member now which is how off the wall things have gotten at this point, and lot of stuff has been going down. I'm not sure if that's a positive or negative answer to your question though but yes there are far bigger fish to fry at this point than that dope.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like it's a little more complicated than that; a lot of floors do have Hunter Exam-like tests but they play it pretty fast and loose with the formulas (in some cases straight up abandoning the tests because it just winds up being a pretense for the actual plot happening at the moment).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I hate this. All of this. Make it stop, please.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Mostly just gets discussed in the manwha thread, as you might expect.

It's definitely been a highlight, I'm glad it's been a great adaption so far.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Silver2195 posted:

I feel like the first episode missed some of the nuances of the comic. Part of this is due to a few omitted lines that make Headon, Rachel, and even Baam seem rather mysterious and sinister in the comic (e.g., Baam admitting that Rachel sometimes lies to him). But I wonder if the real problem is the pacing just not translating well; I feel like the chapter breaks and use of empty space create a certain sense of suspense that, for example, obscures the fact that basically every person Baam meets early on conveniently bails him out of danger.
The first episode is definitely the weakest of the set. Paced rather weirdly and skims over some stuff that probably would have better led the audience into the first floor test. It doesn't help that the most interesting character in that first little story is Yuri, whose deal is largely skipped over. Bam is a good MC but like so many before him he needs a strong supporting cast which is much more the case in subsequent episodes.

quote:

I think a separate thread for people who haven't read the comic could be interesting.
I mean you're not wrong, but the story's as old as time; any time there's an existing thread for a series that subsequently gets an adaption getting an anime-specific thread is sometimes slow to gain momentum.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Look we all have to start somewhere.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Gridman's ending occupies this weird space in my mind where I like everything about it but wish the actual episode was about twice as long to let more plot threads breathe and touch on some other elements that they kind of had to skip over.

Also yeah the digital world isn't fake, it's the digital world. That's the whole gist of classic Gridman too, after all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've not seen Bookworm but much of the defense of it is on this subject is coming off as very Thermian Argument-esque; because it is consistent with the in universe explanations for its setting, however forced or handwave-y it appears, it cannot be therefore be criticized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The basic gist is that the characters need to do XYZ before proceeding to the next floor and some sort of contest or tournament is usually the most convenient way for administrators to let them do so. However not every floor is like that and in fact they start playing pretty fast and loose with the format because well, the cast frequently at various points will have bigger issues at hand than climbing the tower itself.

E: To use another Shounen example, think about how the Straw Hats in OP are always heading towards Raftel throughout the entire manga but still spend multiple arcs sometimes just, not doing that.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 30, 2020