Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

from the past but: anyone who wants to watch shokugeki should instead watch shin chuuka ichiban

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Electric Phantasm posted:

Any chance the stuff Funimation picks up ends on Crunchyroll or another streaming site? Their app on the PS4 is complete garbage.

Some of their stuff ends up on Hulu, I don't know vis a vis their app being garbage though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you're in Australia, thankfully AnimeLab's app is pretty decent and they get ALL of Funimation's stuff now due to a partnership.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Crunchyroll will sometimes get Funi shows after a delay like with the Madoka spin off last season.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
First episode of Appare- Ranman! was pretty cool.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

First episode of Appare- Ranman! was pretty cool.

Wait what? It's not out til next week

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait what? It's not out til next week

Appearntly not for some sites.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

theres always a few shows where they release the first ep early online to get more eyes on it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, since it's out, I'll make the thread tomorrow.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I'm hyped for several of the siren shows (new trigger, kaguya s1 was loving hilarious) but really hyped for Tower of God. imo the best korean webtoon and it made no sense to me why all the korean studios spend all their time adapting japanese works while this gem sat untouched.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is Tamayomi streaming anywhere?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Before you guys forget, they added a final post-credits scene in Re Zero director's cut.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Tower of God didn't do anything interesting in the first episode. People have been hyping it, does the source get better later on or is it a bad adaptation?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Is Tamayomi streaming anywhere?

funi has it

funi has the lion's share of the new shows this season, dunno what crunchyroll is up to other than banking on tower of god to be a hit

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Qwertycoatl posted:

Tower of God didn't do anything interesting in the first episode. People have been hyping it, does the source get better later on or is it a bad adaptation?

It gets better, this episode was just super basic foundation setting. The series is kind of like One Piece in that the beginning doesn't immediately hit it out of the park, but things continuously build up to better and better things.

It's a real shame you didn't recognize the greatness of a Hunter and his turtles though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tales of Woe posted:

funi has it

funi has the lion's share of the new shows this season, dunno what crunchyroll is up to other than banking on tower of god to be a hit

Cheers also ugh

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's been so long since I read the starting chapters of ToG that the first episode had this very empheral, mystical quality to it that I thought was rather neat but upon actually rereading said chapters they skipped over quite a bit to actually ease people into the setting (most notably in Yuri just kind of showing up out of nowhere). That said yes it does get significantly better as it goes on, its had a million arcs by this point that ebb and flow with quality but if nothing else just has a lot going on in it that I find very compelling.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

It's been so long since I read the starting chapters of ToG that the first episode had this very empheral, mystical quality to it that I thought was rather neat but upon actually rereading said chapters they skipped over quite a bit to actually ease people into the setting (most notably in Yuri just kind of showing up out of nowhere). That said yes it does get significantly better as it goes on, its had a million arcs by this point that ebb and flow with quality but if nothing else just has a lot going on in it that I find very compelling.

I enjoyed the first few arcs but stopped reading towards the end of the Hoaquin/Hell Train arc, vaguely meaning to pick it up against at some point. Do later arcs have more compelling villains than Hoaquin? Because it's disappointing that after Khun made fun of Viole for pretending to be a "villain from a third rate fantasy pulp," we got an unironic storyline about a smug guy who brags about how he killed a billion people because his daddy didn't love him.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 1, 2020

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Silver2195 posted:

I enjoyed the first few arcs but stopped reading towards the end of the Hoaquin/Hell Train arc, vaguely meaning to pick it up against at some point. Do later arcs have more compelling villains than Hoaquin? Because it's disappointing that after Khun made fun of Viole for pretending to be a "villain from a third rate fantasy pulp," we got an unironic storyline about a smug guy who brags about how he killed a billion people because his daddy didn't love him.
Hoaquin/White is a literal Team Bam party member now which is how off the wall things have gotten at this point, and lot of stuff has been going down. I'm not sure if that's a positive or negative answer to your question though but yes there are far bigger fish to fry at this point than that dope.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Grouchio posted:

Before you guys forget, they added a final post-credits scene in Re Zero director's cut.

How much did the Director's Cut end up adding/changing? I kind of tuned out after looking up a summary of changes of the first episode and it was

• Camera lingers on Elsa's butt longer

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Tales of Woe posted:

funi has it

Crunchy was probably banking on Re:Zero being their big hitter before it got delayed.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad CR at least got one of the detective shows I was planning to watch and funi didn't end up with both of them but I was kinda hoping to not have to deal w/having to separately track down a show this season, alas.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Thoom posted:

How much did the Director's Cut end up adding/changing? I kind of tuned out after looking up a summary of changes of the first episode and it was
THERE IS A CLIFFHANGER AT THE END
HERE IT BE

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 1, 2020

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

The very beginning is the roughest part, even in the original, because it has none of the strengths that makes people like ToG (outside of Yuri Zahaad being kinda cute I guess) and the author just kinda dumps shitload of lore, characters and motivations (that are, to be honest, not super intriguing on its own) on the reader and then just rushes through them to get the basics out of the way. The anime makes it even worse, because it rushes through the introduction even harder, so it cuts out even the little bits of info and hints that were present in the original webtoon to makes things a bit more intriguing. That being said, it was success in the sense that the anime managed to get through that rough start in one episode, so I would recommend to continue watching for one more episode, because that's the part that usually hooks people into reading(watching) Tower of God.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The first episode of Tower of God was actually one of the best we've got in a while, certainly better than any non-Dorohedoro intro last season. Mainly because every just jumps right into the flow of poo poo. Hope it keeps up without getting too confusing.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I don't know if I'm the only one, but when I read ToG, I found a certain recurring antagonist to be the most compelling character, they have to rely on wits and skill to scrape by against some ridiculously overpowered bullshit.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

for a general feel: how much is every single other korean comic just ripping off tower of god because it sure feels like 75% of the ones that i see are ripping off the same thing and it's either solo levelling or solo levelling is just also ripping off tower of god

i haven't watched tower of god yet, from what i hear i think i want to let some episodes pile up

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If anything Tower of God is fairly different from the standard Korean comic/webnovel template and that's why it's more popular.

In particular it has a way more interesting setting and a strong supporting cast.

As for what originated the genre, Legendary Moonlight Sculptor is probably the oldest example I know of (it started in 2007) but I doubt it was the first.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 2, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not sure if solo leveling was the original work or not, but every element in that story is found in many other korean webnovels. most of the closest matches i'm aware of came out a year or two after sl started, but who knows?

i can't think of anything that really imitates tower of god, though. there are plenty that are about climbing towers, but the tone and content aren't otherwise similar.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I just reread the first few chapters of Tower of God and was surprised by how much the anime cut out. Granted, a lot of what was cut out were passing references to random aspects of the setting to set up things way down the line, as well as comedic bits that didn't really work, but they also cut out some bits that genuinely built atmosphere. In particular, Headon seems more sinister and obviously planning something long-term in the comic, but Bam and Rachel themselves also seem more sinister and enigmatic than what we get in the anime. It's possible they're saving some of the exposition about Bam being born alone in darkness (and implicitly non-human?) before meeting Rachel for a later episode, but I think they cut Bam telling Black March that Rachel sometimes lies to him and also trimmed Evan's inner monologue about Bam so that it's less clear that he thinks Bam is a pretty nuts.

I guess I'm nitpicking a bit here. The episode had a difficult job of balancing introducing different aspects of Tower of God without feeling like pure setup. They handled it reasonably well, all things considered.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 2, 2020

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Silver2195 posted:

I just reread the first few chapters of Tower of God and was surprised by how much the anime cut out.

I think they're skipping over a lot of content for two reasons: 1) They get to the meat of the story much quicker to hook the audience, and 2) They can easily add more/elaborate on it when we get Rachel's POV later on, when we actually have more context on the story.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Watching Tower of God w no familiarity w the comic, I can think only of a slightly more boring HunterxHunter. Looked alright, mostly, but the characters are whatever, there's too much exposition upfront and the voice acting was annoying, too. Imma give this one some time to build up and marathon it but what w all this buzz around it, color me unimpressed.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Pootybutt posted:

Watching Tower of God w no familiarity w the comic, I can think only of a slightly more boring HunterxHunter. Looked alright, mostly, but the characters are whatever, there's too much exposition upfront and the voice acting was annoying, too. Imma give this one some time to build up and marathon it but what w all this buzz around it, color me unimpressed.

The HxH comparison is pretty common.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
gonna watch:

BNA
Dropkick Dash
Gal n Dino
Gleipnir

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Pootybutt posted:

The hunter X hunter comparison is accurate Its Hunter X Hunter but the hunter exam arc never ends

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The hunter X hunter comparison is accurate Its Hunter X Hunter but the hunter exam arc never ends

that sounds like the worst thing in the world

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like it's a little more complicated than that; a lot of floors do have Hunter Exam-like tests but they play it pretty fast and loose with the formulas (in some cases straight up abandoning the tests because it just winds up being a pretense for the actual plot happening at the moment).

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i look forward to seeing anak/androssi fighting and the resulting fanart again. good love/hate, good attitude lizard

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I doubt the anime will ever actually get there, but I stopped reading because it kinda devolves into DBZ power levels after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Appare-Ranman thread