Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Very, very different show. It's a goofy action-comedy with light social commentary. Think furry Promare, or Zootopia by way of Little Witch Academia.

Yeah, I wouldn't exactly call BNA "insightful" as I would just "fun as poo poo"... yet, anyway. We're only on episode 6 of possibly 12 or more and the Real Plot has finally just started, so who knows, it could pull out a real whiz banger in its back half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't exactly call BNA "insightful" as I would just "fun as poo poo"... yet, anyway. We're only on episode 6 of possibly 12 or more and the Real Plot has finally just started, so who knows, it could pull out a real whiz banger in its back half.

at first I thought there might be a valid queer reading but that fell off after like ep 2

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Seizon posted:

at first I thought there might be a valid queer reading but that fell off after like ep 2

Episode 6 suggests a valid bi reading is not completely off the books yet.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Wait where is the valid straight parts even coming from? She's clearly got a major crush on her friend

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Seizon posted:

I think there still is. Our main character refuses to use her human form and the animal city stating that her animal form feels more comfortable. You could liken this to a transgender experience.

On another front. She's experiencing body dysmorphia after having transformed into an animal wishing to return to being a human. This could also be a transgender read as well.

Perpetual Motion
Aug 12, 2013
The exact line Michiru says is that using her human form "feels like walking around with heels on." That threw up so many flags in my head as a trans person that I had to rewind and read the line again. Obviously it's a non-equivalent fantastical situation, but the writers are definitely drawing on that type of feeling in the characterization, and it was kinda validating.

And yeah, she's crushing on Nazuna suuuuper hard. A trait that Nazuna absolutely notices and exploits along with Michiru's normal Shounen Protagonist tendencies to further her own goals, which actually kinda made me admire her as an antagonist. It's one thing to be a sociopath who doesn't understand or care about the emotions of others. It's another to understand extremely well and still not care when you selfishly crush them for the sake of an agenda, especially when by all appearances you were once very close with the person you're exploiting.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

I didn't explain myself at all, wow, mb. The animal forms in ep 1 & 2 especially seemed to translate to being open about an LGBT identity in a very clear & direct way, I think later episodes (aside from the party scene) muddied the waters there a lot with more standard anime hijinks type of stuff. I absolutely agree that the main character can be read as transgender - I got that vibe hardcore as well. The relationship with her friend is also totally a crush, I suppose I just thought that a lot of the show would lean into the queer identity elements harder. As it is now I think that its messaging could as easily wind up being primarily environmentalist with a queer side-plot as the other way around. I will admit that I could be totally off base, I might just feel burned after how hard they went in the first 2 eps - especially after those really well delivered last few lines in ep 2.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think there still is. Our main character refuses to use her human form and the animal city stating that her animal form feels more comfortable.

I feel she might be lying and that she once again can't turn back to her human form. As she has not even attempted to do so after being asked by multiple people.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Seizon posted:

I didn't explain myself at all, wow, mb. The animal forms in ep 1 & 2 especially seemed to translate to being open about an LGBT identity in a very clear & direct way, I think later episodes (aside from the party scene) muddied the waters there a lot with more standard anime hijinks type of stuff. I absolutely agree that the main character can be read as transgender - I got that vibe hardcore as well. The relationship with her friend is also totally a crush, I suppose I just thought that a lot of the show would lean into the queer identity elements harder. As it is now I think that its messaging could as easily wind up being primarily environmentalist with a queer side-plot as the other way around. I will admit that I could be totally off base, I might just feel burned after how hard they went in the first 2 eps - especially after those really well delivered last few lines in ep 2.

what's weird is i'm gay and didn't even read any of that into the first two eps*--instead i was really concerned about the idea of beastman-as-racial-category and how casually the people themselves were basically saying "yeah this minority, if left to their own devices, will beat each other up and freely violate each other and that's just OK, it's how life works."

But then, I also read something much more ambitious and political into the first 10 or so episodes of franxx and was let down pretty hard, and given how much just kinda... flat exposition makes up 3, I'm getting the vibe that BNA might not do all that much in any direction beyond pretty animation

*michiru is absolutely A Metaphor tho

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 18, 2020

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Don't give up Michiru, you can get your gf out of that cult. The masked leader was totally one of the ones experimenting on her.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Nitrousoxide posted:

Our main character refuses to use her human form and the animal city stating that her animal form feels more comfortable. You could liken this to a transgender experience.

I thought she couldn't get it back, and the one time she did was a fluke.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Anora posted:

They're being very ambiguous about it. If you take Michiru's word at face value then yeah, the first time was a fluke, but she has since figured out how to go back and forth but prefers to stay in her animal form now because what happened at that party kind of traumatized her so she's not in any hurry to change back again any time soon, despite her protests otherwise. It's also possible that she's lying her rear end off and that one time was indeed a fluke and she's just telling people otherwise.

Either way, she's lying to herself on a whole bunch of levels and Nazuna turning out to be a fame-crazed sociopath has hopefully begun the process of dislodging a lot of her own bullshit from her brain.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Anora posted:

Maybe. She outright says she can return to human form but chooses not to. Whether you believe her or not is really up to you.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Definitely gonna keep an eye on this one. It looks and sounds fantastic, but I'm not completely sold on the writing and characters like I am with Beastars.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Apparently Episode 7 is out now, BTW.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Apparently Episode 7 is out now, BTW.

Episode 8 as well.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
And 9! Looks like Nazuna isn't as cold on Michiru as she pretends to be.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Glad it's back.

Looks like the cult, while still shady, aren't the top of the villain totem pole. Definately calling bullshit on the beast-transfusion being an accident, though probably only Nazuna was supposed to get it, or Michiru would have been kidnapped too.

Meanwhile, if the blood of 2,000 beastmen can turn Shirou into Ginrou, I wonder how many went into making a Kitsune and Magical Tanuki... and that story probably isn't the whole truth. Maybe Shirou didn't never find the human general, but in fact WAS the general. Throat cut open, body left with his victims... then underwent an accidental ancient version of our heroine's experience. Nobody knows what humans are capable of more than one responsible for it.

And going back to episodes before the hiatus, I enjoyed that Michiru's first attempt at transforming involved putting a leaf on her head and doing a backflip. Probably for the best no 'Raccoon pouches' were involved though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7cowIHjCD4

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It's pretty clear the Sylvia company is developing a drug to turn all beastmen into humans and thus wipe them out. Our protagonist getting the beastmen factor and the gull getting turned into the hulking behemoth were just experiments by them in perfecting their ability to control it.

It's also possible they are developing the means to turn people into beastmen to use as weapons

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's pretty clear the Sylvia company is developing a drug to turn all beastmen into humans and thus wipe them out. Our protagonist getting the beastmen factor and the gull getting turned into the hulking behemoth were just experiments by them in perfecting their ability to control it.

It's also possible they are developing the means to turn people into beastmen to use as weapons

My bet is that the freaky mutant beastman rage disorder was artificial from day one, and Alan is either continuing his ancestor's mission of genocide or is that ancestor himself, empowered by the blood of the beastmen he spilled. Those monsters just look way more like an intended end product than a side-effect, and Alan's got enough of a habit of pretending noble motives for his actions that trusting his intentions to be anything less than utterly hideous seems like a mug's game.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Once again I wonder If Nazuna is in on Alan's plan.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

All 12 episodes are out now

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Like most of Trigger's stuff, I'm not sure the main plot was as interesting as the side bits, but I'm glad Michiru made up with her sparkledog girlfriend.

Was Boris meant to be another messed up inbred beastman like Alan, or was that just the effect of the whatsit syndrome?

ghost sex
May 19, 2013

Dzhay posted:

Like most of Trigger's stuff, I'm not sure the main plot was as interesting as the side bits, but I'm glad Michiru made up with her sparkledog girlfriend.

Was Boris meant to be another messed up inbred beastman like Alan, or was that just the effect of the whatsit syndrome?

given the source of the magical transforming tanuki and kitsune girls and that he seems to be an allusion to orochi, my (admittedly flimsy) theory's that his beast factor was tampered with by alan's company

i came expecting a series that was pretty to look at and that's basically what i got!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Finale was a little limp. Could have used an extra episode to help everything breathe.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

ghost sex posted:

i came expecting a series that was pretty to look at and that's basically what i got!

It didn't fall flat on it's face, which is a welcome change from a typical trigger ending.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Well, the plot could have used a bit more cooking time, but drat that air wolf final battle looked cool.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Well, the plot could have used a bit more cooking time, but drat that air wolf final battle looked cool.

That's about where I fall. Cool visuals, but I really would have made that last episode like two or three episodes and give it some room to breathe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Gonna have to binge the back half later on. Too bad that it sounds like it couldn't stick the landing, but I wasn't expecting much anyway. Also this is my first (and probably only) Trigger series, so I have no real metric to guage whether it did "well" or not beyond a general content barometer.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I wouldn't say the landing didn't stick. It was perfectly competent, just not the kind of wow we've come to expect after the likes of Gridman and LWA. It's by no means a Franxx.

The show was at it's best letting Michiru experiment with her powers. The baseball game was perfect for this. Learning to fly was a high point too. And Chameleon was a cute moment where she comes up with something as needed. Compared to that, her moment of triumph in the finale was... chasing some robots, being chewed to bring Shirou back to his senses, and jobbing to Alan. The moment of her morphing into a wolf, and sniffing out Shirou with a gun was an interesting reflection of earlier, but not as profound as something like that should have been.

And then... we never got to really see Michiru 'fully powered'. The implicit tease was that by the end we'd see Michiru in control of herself, mastery of powers aligning with acceptance of herself as a human and beastperson, seeing friends and enemies for what they are etc. We got some of that from Shirou, but he's a secondary protagonist/mentor.

TLDR: Series good, but concept wrote cheques the animators couldn't cash.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah it sticks the landing, it's just a very wobbly landing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, they didn't exactly flesh out what the main antagonist's deal was - we got a rough, vague sketch with implications, but nothing concrete. How immortal was he? Did he destroy Nirvasyl himself, or was it just one of his ancestors like he claimed? Exactly how did destroying beastman cities help him?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I think the objective of the villain was clear. He was racist against what he considered to be half-breed beastman and wanted to wipe them out for the ubermensch pure bloods

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Well. Show was fun.

The dynamic between the two main girls was surprisingly fun and wholesome, and it was an absolute blast whenever Michiru tried figuring out her powers. The baseball episode definitely felt like the strongest one, being chaotic shenanigans throughout with all the wacky animations you could ever want. But I did feel like the show never again reached the great atmosphere of the first episode. Like it was trying to go into a direction that it ultimately couldn't deliver. Ending felt rather weak, Shirou and the main antagonist were rather lame, final episodes felt like they randomly decided what needed to happen now

Oh well.

Lesson I'm taking from this: if people are saying LWA and Gridman were better, why the hell didn't I watch Gridman, I need to get on that right away

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think the objective of the villain was clear. He was racist against what he considered to be half-breed beastman and wanted to wipe them out for the ubermensch pure bloods

That was why he was OK with horrible things happening to them in general. It didn't make it clear why he wanted to turn them all human specifically.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

That was why he was OK with horrible things happening to them in general. It didn't make it clear why he wanted to turn them all human specifically.

He wanted to kill them all and then any he didn't catch turn into human.

He needed an inciting event like them going crazy to give the rest of the nations in the world a reason to purge or turn their own beastmen into humans. The drug was there to give those less willing to commit mass murder a means to still achieve his goal of wiping out the half-breeds

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I laughed at the Cerberus corkscrew laser whirlwind. What a great cut.

That was an fine ending, especially Alan and Michiru's dialog near the end. It would have been enormously improved if Michiru, Nazuna, and Oogami all had to join forces to fight Alan. C'mon, he even has three heads! It's right there!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The fact the final boss was literally Furry Ghidorah cracked me up

Also the commentary on the Idol industry

Torquemadras posted:

final episodes felt like they randomly decided what needed to happen now

Welcome to Every Trigger Anime Finale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
They kinda recycled the villain from Promare, didn't they?