Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

id like to play with some skin in the game in a game that takes less than 40 minutes to complete, and i expect there are others like me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

strong bird posted:

id like to play with some skin in the game in a game that takes less than 40 minutes to complete, and i expect there are others like me

Yeah that’s me.

The only issue I’m having is that 40 min on the same map gets exhausting. I never really played much CSGO so maybe I’m not the target market.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I've found I can't really get into this quite as much as I had previously gotten into CS, though I think part of that might be the fact that I got into CS in 1.6 and quit in 2017 and this is just so new and doesn't have a really consistent goon showing to be able to crank out a 5-stack every night. We were doing real well for a while in the sub.io Discord but I think the rather crap map pool and the big delay on releasing ranked post-launch kinda made the game boring after a while.

I know the pubbies aren't *horrible* in this but I want to play with people I actually like even if they're strangers who paid ten bucks to post on a web 1.0 comedy forum.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

I know the pubbies aren't *horrible* in this but

They're horrible. There's barely any communication and there's a ton of AFKs since there's no way to pause the game and barely any punishment for leaving. This is at plat so YMMV if you're diamond+ but my experience has been dreadful.

I'd never play this game if I was forced to solo queue.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
CS used to run on the same MR12 ruleset. Basically, more rounds, less variance.

It's always a compromise between time and accuracy.

They can put in as many alternative modes as they want, but any gamemode labelled 'Competitive' should be optimised to allowing the better team to win as often as possible.

Reducing round count should not be on the cards. Games are not even that long. Unrated or other potential modes - sure, they could be clipped to have a shorter average length.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

40 minutes win or lose is a long time to invest in a game that isnt really that fun most of the time. its not 40 minutes of action, its like 8~ minutes of action spread out across 40 minutes where the remainder of time is staring at corners and walls and down hallways waiting to see if something will happen. im not sure what can be done about that particular part of the game but they could make it first to 10 or 9 and im sure the valuable, engaging Economy Minigame/Metagame (buy phantom if you have money for it) would survive

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

strong bird posted:

40 minutes win or lose is a long time to invest in a game that isnt really that fun most of the time. its not 40 minutes of action, its like 8~ minutes of action spread out across 40 minutes where the remainder of time is staring at corners and walls and down hallways waiting to see if something will happen. im not sure what can be done about that particular part of the game but they could make it first to 10 or 9 and im sure the valuable, engaging Economy Minigame/Metagame (buy phantom if you have money for it) would survive

Games are infrequently that long imo, and it's not a long time regardless. You can mess with Unrated and other modes in whatever fashion, but MR12 is really a minimum bar for a competitive ruleset in a tactical FPS like Valorant.

If you don't enjoy the game, go play something else. Saying games should be shorter because the game itself is boring to you is just absurd.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That’s fine but the only shorter mode is spike rush which isn’t really the same game.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I like the game and think it's fun but still don't like committing 40 minutes to a single match. I don't really care if first to 10 makes the results slightly less accurate because that can be offset by playing more matches in a day. I'm sure it won't ever happen in ranked, fine, but I'd really appreciate a shorter unrated mode and I think that's pretty fair for people to ask for.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

strong bird posted:

Hey its not just the phantom. Sometimes you buy an op if you want to make the game even easier.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Valorant games do not average 40 minutes, especially in lower skill tiers where rushing is common and rounds are short.

Also, if a game goes a nail biting 13-12, 40 minute run, it’s not going to feel like 40 minutes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

merk posted:

Valorant games do not average 40 minutes, especially in lower skill tiers where rushing is common and rounds are short.

Also, if a game goes a nail biting 13-12, 40 minute run, it’s not going to feel like 40 minutes.

Say I have something to do at 8pm. What’s the latest time I can start a match of VALORANT?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Say I have something to do at 8pm. What’s the latest time I can start a match of VALORANT?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ok, match is fast and ends at 7:25. I have to quit or play spike rush.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Ok, match is fast and ends at 7:25. I have to quit or play spike rush.

use an aim trainer for thirty minutes and git gud scrub

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

merk posted:

they *absolutely* average 40 minutes. Here's my last 8 games (2 out of 10 were spike rush so not counting those):

The average here is almost exactly 40 minutes.

As you can see, a game doesn't really even have to be that close to get up to the 40 minute mark, and the closest games are actually closer to 50 minutes! Even my shortest game was over 25 minutes. Also, you still have to "commit" 40+ minutes of your time whenever you queue for a game since you don't know how long the game will be until it's over. And that isn't even taking into account the time spent in queue and agent select. For me, this is just too long most of the time.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

It's a completely fair criticism to want a shorter game mode because you don't want to play Spike Rush and Competitive can be long, but that's more the fault of the game having a lack of modes to play, not that Competitive is too long. 30-40 minutes (and that's at the longer end of the spectrum) is not particularly steep compared to many games. DotA 2 used to throw you matches that could end in 20 minutes or pushing on 2 hours. CS:GO is almost a minimum of 40 minutes for MM, and proper competitive has Overtime that can last a very long time indeed.

If you want to argue that time can and should be cut out from games in other ways: bomb timers, round timers, freezetime, changing walk speed, map size, etc. then that's a different story. But the amount of rounds for a game that mimics CS so closely shouldn't really be on the cards without proper justification. This is simply because it's super easy for two pretty balanced teams to have a scoreline like 6/7-0 in a game. You need enough rounds to compensate for variance. The less rounds you play, the less chance that the better team wins, the worse the MM system is in general.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The thing I think you guys are missing is that the economy straight up stops being effective if you cut it down any further. Economy swings take multiple rounds to play out and if you only have enough space for a single swing which essentially boils every half down to whoever wins the pistol round. It's fine if you want shorter games- I do too- but that's why they gave us spike rush which is fun as hell. They're also signalling pretty hard that they intend on pushing a lot more gametypes so... just wait for it I guess?

Also this is another fantastic example of why having no private moddable servers is a terrible idea.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

They could just add a casual game mode with a lower round limit that gives you $5,000 every round, just like tie breaks.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Jeza posted:

It's a completely fair criticism to want a shorter game mode because you don't want to play Spike Rush and Competitive can be long, but that's more the fault of the game having a lack of modes to play, not that Competitive is too long. 30-40 minutes (and that's at the longer end of the spectrum) is not particularly steep compared to many games. DotA 2 used to throw you matches that could end in 20 minutes or pushing on 2 hours. CS:GO is almost a minimum of 40 minutes for MM, and proper competitive has Overtime that can last a very long time indeed.

If you want to argue that time can and should be cut out from games in other ways: bomb timers, round timers, freezetime, changing walk speed, map size, etc. then that's a different story. But the amount of rounds for a game that mimics CS so closely shouldn't really be on the cards without proper justification. This is simply because it's super easy for two pretty balanced teams to have a scoreline like 6/7-0 in a game. You need enough rounds to compensate for variance. The less rounds you play, the less chance that the better team wins, the worse the MM system is in general.

Almost no valorant games are shorter than 30 minutes though so you can't say that's on the longer side. The longer side is 45 minutes. The shorter side is 35 minutes. An absolutely stomp of a game is 25ish but I actually think riot did a decent job with matchmaking so I very rarely see stomps like that happen. In Counterstrike, you can leave the server (in unranked) whenever you want with no penalty so it doesn't matter as much how long the game is.

Is there any way the money given each round/the cost of guns could be tweaked to offer a similar economy meta game for a first to 10 limit?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

d0grent posted:

Almost no valorant games are shorter than 30 minutes though so you can't say that's on the longer side. The longer side is 45 minutes. The shorter side is 35 minutes. An absolutely stomp of a game is 25ish but I actually think riot did a decent job with matchmaking so I very rarely see stomps like that happen. In Counterstrike, you can leave the server (in unranked) whenever you want with no penalty so it doesn't matter as much how long the game is.

Is there any way the money given each round/the cost of guns could be tweaked to offer a similar economy meta game for a first to 10 limit?

I mean, I'd be happy if they put Unrated to MR10 or MR9, or even better, new modes like DM/Casual modes etc. There is a pretty big gap between 40 min modes and 5-10 min Spike Rush right now for sure. There's not too much reason for Unrated to be full-length other than it serving as an identical companion to Competitive to practice and get used to how Comp operates.

The only similar experiments I'm aware of for shorter comp modes in CS was MR9 16k. That was sort of feasible because it minimises variance and economy 'streaking' by just giving every player max cash so pistol rounds/eco rounds are effectively removed. No dead space, just buy rounds. It wasn't particularly popular though.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We are probably getting the DM with Act 2 alongside Killjoy.

I get it, I understand the complaint. You don't want long games because we all should have actual personal real life poo poo to do.

Hell I mean "make the games shorter" has been a common complaint in Dota/League for a long time.

Also the goon discord tried to get a set day for people to show up, had a vote and everything, and then the same 3 people showed up so if you want the five-stacks to happen that might be a good place to start.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

This game is really fun when you hit the highs of big multikills and such, but the poor map pool and the impossibility of community servers or maps makes me not want to go in for the long haul. That and I can't get any friends to tag along so I have to play with pubbies, which is a mixed bag at best and is never as fun as playing with your friends. I think I'm just too old for a competitive game, the idea of grinding out matches for hours to get better does not sound as fun to me as it did 10 years ago.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

its not 40 minutes of action, its like 8~ minutes of action spread out across 40 minutes where the remainder of time is staring at corners and walls and down hallways waiting to see if something will happen.

the best description of the game that I've heard yet. so why can't i stop playing it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

boar guy posted:

its not 40 minutes of action, its like 8~ minutes of action spread out across 40 minutes where the remainder of time is staring at corners and walls and down hallways waiting to see if something will happen.

the best description of the game that I've heard yet. so why can't i stop playing it

because it's a terrible description. 'mario is mostly just jumping around on blocks and maybe 5% of the time is actually stomping on enemies'

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is just running around in fields and looking at stuff with your binoculars. very little actual fights what a waste of time

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is just running around in fields and looking at stuff with your binoculars. very little actual fights what a waste of time

Well maybe but at least in STALKER you aren't forced in to one area for 40 min in order to make progress.

Edit: Its also not a bad way to describe the game. The buy phase is what 60 seconds? x 20 rounds is literally like 20 min of not a lot of action.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

because it's a terrible description. 'mario is mostly just jumping around on blocks and maybe 5% of the time is actually stomping on enemies'

Theres a lot of downtime but thats not necessarily a bad thing. Its hard to be "always on" so to speak.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Well maybe but at least in STALKER you aren't forced in to one area for 40 min in order to make progress.

Edit: Its also not a bad way to describe the game. The buy phase is what 60 seconds? x 20 rounds is literally like 20 min of not a lot of action.

Off the top of my head I think it's ~40 seconds for the pistol rounds and 15 seconds for every other round. The first pistol round having that long of a timer is okay I guess for people who don't connect right away or alt-tabbed during the loading screen but I can't see any reason for the 2nd pistol round to also be that long.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

d0grent posted:

Off the top of my head I think it's ~40 seconds for the pistol rounds and 15 seconds for every other round. The first pistol round having that long of a timer is okay I guess for people who don't connect right away or alt-tabbed during the loading screen but I can't see any reason for the 2nd pistol round to also be that long.

Ah ok that sounds right.

I think it just seems the matches take too long. I know I was having map fatigue by the end of it but had to finish it to get my score.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I'll gladly sacrifice economy for something faster.

Please just give me overtime rules first to six or something.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

d0grent posted:

It makes sense if you consider that defence needs to decide who goes where.

e: the second pistol round start time being as long, that is

strong bird
May 12, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

forgot about the epic economic metagame so add about 2.5 seconds over 40 minutes where you look at the shop and buy phantom

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Lex Neville posted:

It makes sense if you consider that defence needs to decide who goes where.

e: the second pistol round start time being as long, that is

Definitely this. The first round of defense usually involves a lot of running back and forth in spawn while you figure out who is going to which site

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Can someone share the discord link? I didn't see it on the first page.

Just recently built a PC and hopped on this game. I used to play 1.6 and Source way way back, and I've been enjoying this a little bit more than CSGO just because it's something different.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

compton rear end terry posted:

Can someone share the discord link? I didn't see it on the first page.

Just recently built a PC and hopped on this game. I used to play 1.6 and Source way way back, and I've been enjoying this a little bit more than CSGO just because it's something different.

https://discord.gg/VSSSEk

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

https://playvalorant.com/en-us/news/dev/act-ii-ranks-and-competitive-changes/

Apparently they're adding a super convoluted and entirely pointless badge system to ranked :confused:

At least they've confirmed they won't be disabling ranked when the new act comes out.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://playvalorant.com/en-us/news/dev/enter-killjoy/

oops someone published the new agent overview early

mirror for when it gets taken down:
http://archive.is/gUvod
https://streamable.com/akzxeg
https://streamable.com/fsc7b8
https://streamable.com/ufs36x
https://streamable.com/ocsmtu

repiv fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 28, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

:rip: this game it looked so promising too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

servers down?