Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

dy. posted:

You guys should look on the bright side: at least Reyna provides a convenient target for you to blame for losing. You may have to choose something more abstract like interpolation or spray randomness if she gets nerfed.

She's a bad character and I can't remember the last time I actually got killed by her flash. If anything she needs buffs.

I just think Riot's hero and map design just aren't very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i am pretty good at valorant. reyna is not op, but that doesn't really change that, like Raze and Sage, she is a character that doesn't really fit with the way these games were initially conceptualized to work.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I played some Reyna for the first time yesterday in Unrated, she's really fun to play casually, but I wouldn't want to play her in Competitive.

Many of her voice binds sound cute though.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

People pointing out her lack of pro play are missing the argument. Just like most of the pubstomp characters in League, she isn’t OP, but the way she magnifies skill differential is unique and spectacularly unfun to be on the losing end of.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

I played some Reyna for the first time yesterday in Unrated, she's really fun to play casually, but I wouldn't want to play her in Competitive.

Many of her voice binds sound cute though.

If I'm the top ranked person on the team I pick Reyna. It's consistently worked out well, since the rank system has outright told me I'm probably better than most of the other team.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

she is a character that doesn't really fit with the way these games were initially conceptualized to work.

this is real loving tone deaf at best and absolute goon game design at worst because the entire Riot team has said numerous times that Killjoy rounds out the entire "foundation" of what Valorant's agent pool is and that Killjoy, Reyna, and Raze have all been in the game since the very start. The next agent we get will be the first one made from scratch that hasn't even been in the game yet from alpha/beta/release to help give more options for what is missing in the game.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
I will say that despite my misgivings about Reyna's design, so far I'm pretty happy with the class balance in casual play in valorant; when I die it very rarely feels like bullshit or that there was nothing I could have done about it, and I think that's largely to do with the general low impact of agent abilities compared to the gunplay; hopefully they don't allow power creep to disrupt that. I'm surprised that I'm really enjoying this game so far because I'm absolutely terrible at FPS and the learning curve on this is pretty steep, but drat if the shooting doesn't just feel really good. My only real concern is the low number (and iffy quality) of maps; I think I read on reddit that the devs have said there won't be a new map until next year, which seems insane??

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Asema posted:

this is real loving tone deaf at best and absolute goon game design at worst because the entire Riot team has said numerous times that Killjoy rounds out the entire "foundation" of what Valorant's agent pool is and that Killjoy, Reyna, and Raze have all been in the game since the very start. The next agent we get will be the first one made from scratch that hasn't even been in the game yet from alpha/beta/release to help give more options for what is missing in the game.

https://twitter.com/niiicolo/status/1184400033631866880

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/RiotMorello/status/1288609366375936000

https://twitter.com/RiotMorello/status/1288292085078999041

https://twitter.com/RiotMorello/status/1289042969073299456

Asema fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 1, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm really surprised they believe that. The information those abilities provide is huge and boombot or the turret could just as easily "detonate" or "fire" smoke or a flash.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Morello's response to the OP meta was "I expect if you play a team comp without flashes or smokes, that you will have a tougher time dealing with the OP than not"

The good thing about Riot is that they listen to the fanbase

The bad thing about Riot is in some cases they have to be beaten over the head by community response to get over their pride or design philosophy to do so

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

Asema posted:

Morello's response to the OP meta was "I expect if you play a team comp without flashes or smokes, that you will have a tougher time dealing with the OP than not"

The good thing about Riot is that they listen to the fanbase

The bad thing about Riot is in some cases they have to be beaten over the head by community response to get over their pride or design philosophy to do so

I've not played much CS (dabbled a little bit back when it was in beta and again when source came out), but I know the AWP has always been in the game, but has it always been a 1-bodyshot-kill hitscan weapon through the game's entire history? There's probably very good reasons why my instinct is wrong, and I fully admit I'm coming from a position of almost complete ignorance of tactical FPS at any kind of competitive level, but instinctively the AWP/Operator just feels kind of weird in a game like this. I know Valorant clearly has a bit of an issue with the OP at the moment which I see when games on Ascent in particular devolve into mid sniper-fests with 3 or 4 OPs on each team, and that this is partly due to the lack of smokes/flash compared to CS (probably exacerbated at the level I play in as people use what utility they do have less efficiently), but it just fundamentally feels somehow at odds with the rest of the gunplay mechanics in the game in a way I can't really properly describe. I guess I just don't see why a game like this NEEDS a gun like the OP, and it feels a little bit like its only there because it's such and ingrained and iconic part of CS. Has it ever actually been removed from CS or nerfed to the point where it wasn't a one-hit kill weapon and the result was clearly a net negative for the game? If not it makes me think that its just there because that's how it was originally coded into the game in 1998 or whatever and its just too entrenched to change. Anyway like I said, this might all be nonsense and feel free to call me an idiot etc, that's just how it seems to me as a relative newcomer to this type of game.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Waaaay back in the day even leg shots were one hit kills with an awp

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 1, 2020

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

In CS everyone in your team has a smoke, two flashes and a grenade or molotov. The smoke and flashes are way stronger than any equivalent ability in Valorant, and they make it much easier to handle someone that's using an AWP.

Also, in CS usually when there's a very strong position for an AWP to hold there's an alternate entrance that allows you to flank them. So for instance long in Dust 2 is a textbook AWP shooting ground and an AWP can defend it while taking cover and being very difficult to take down. However, if they're focusing on long that means you can rush them from short and they'll be completely exposed (same thing if they're defending against short: they'll be exposed to anyone who peeks long).

This is very different from the Valorant designs where all the entrances to a site are in the same side and often the only way to flank an AWP is by really going out of your way to get to CT and attack from behind.

So basically Valorant's more limited utility and linear map design make it harder to deal with AWPs.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Asema posted:

'these games' means half-based tactical shooters a la the original CS and all of it's variations and clones, not specifically Valorant.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the big thing Valorant needs at this point is newer map list, CS has had the benefit of two decades of map iteration but Valorant should have at least started with some of the basics learned from that

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
The devs have said from the start that the game will be different from CS, and I think this is the first real big difference maker they’re adding to the game, and it’ll be interesting to see if they will stick fo their guns and make the game they set out to make, or if they’ll cave and just scale things down to be like alt-CS.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

If you want to compare the games, the OP is also a lot less nimble than the awp. The weapon draw time is way longer, the zoom-in to shoot accurately is longer, and swapping to a pistol after a shot is slower.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

can someone what is better at maths than me please update the second tab of this to be for season 2

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FOTack-NBwbDYwkYiuoTrL58WiPWS-xTmI4O8OMLBCo/edit#gid=5861423

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhNyPZj-nQk

:nyan:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

sure do hate that

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.polygon.com/2020/8/3/21352039/valorant-deathmatch-mode-free-for-all-ffa-act-2-spike-rush

deathmatch coming with act 2

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

No Phantom, no sale.

...not that I'd have bought it anyway

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

No Phantom, no sale.

...not that I'd have bought it anyway

Sales for packages that don't have at least one of phantom/vandal/OP are going to be dire, I bet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sinatraa is out there every weekend trying to sell Ares/Odin skins at least!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

https://playvalorant.com/en-us/news/game-updates/valorant-patch-notes-1-05/

1.05 patch. Raze nerfs, killjoy, death match, new rank system. No weapon changes so op supremacy will remain for now.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Great Beer posted:

https://playvalorant.com/en-us/news/game-updates/valorant-patch-notes-1-05/

1.05 patch. Raze nerfs, killjoy, death match, new rank system. No weapon changes so op supremacy will remain for now.

I can’t wait to spend every death match game as kill joy with an OP while the whole server shakes their fists at me in rage.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

No map changes or new map :(

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zs5RPIJELQ

The Korean branch of riot makes nice little videos demonstrating patch features. Also gives a good look at killjoys gadgets.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

killjoys molotov damages through walls and ceilings lol

mendo is already finding tons of ridiculous spots to use it

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

repiv posted:

killjoys molotov damages through walls and ceilings lol

mendo is already finding tons of ridiculous spots to use it

I want to believe that this is unintended, which would be a very riot thing to do.

Also, glad to see her turret doesn't do TONS of damage. You definitely die faster from her molly than the turret.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

V for Vegans posted:

I can’t wait to spend every death match game as kill joy with an OP while the whole server shakes their fists at me in rage.

There's no ability usage in deathmatch.

Also, don't the other mollies in the game go through walls? It would be nearly unbelievable that this isn't intended, since Riot has had her in the game for a long time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Crimson posted:

Also, don't the other mollies in the game go through walls? It would be nearly unbelievable that this isn't intended, since Riot has had her in the game for a long time.

Ehhhhh, there was that random patch in Beta that was live for like 24 hours letting cypher's camera use a gun.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Crimson posted:

Even with no abilities, I’m sure just the site of her will set of pubbies.

Are there no weekly challenges the first week of the battlepass? I only see two daily quests and no weekly ones.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Crimson posted:

I'm not sure about other mollies and it could be intended behavior, but if you think this isn't the sort of thing riot could gently caress up, I would direct you toward the thread title.

Like, just last week, someone figured out that red side cannon minions have had less attack range than blue side since alpha.

https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/hyr8dn/red_side_cannon_minions_have_20_lower_attack/

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

V for Vegans posted:

Even with no abilities, I’m sure just the site of her will set of pubbies.

Are there no weekly challenges the first week of the battlepass? I only see two daily quests and no weekly ones.

Weeklys reset at 5pst/8est on Tuesdays. They should be up now.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The new character is as fun as expected.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Her ult is an absolute game changer, the rest of the kit is boring though but I'm sure that will change the more I see her

edit; her molly going through walls and being able to placed appropriately with that knowledge is also real strong. The turret + alarmbot seem extremely balanced though

Asema fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 5, 2020

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

The molly is the meta changer. Especially since it clips through many props (e.g. ammo cans on Haven A), and is a guaranteed kill on a defuser if it's planted under the spike.

That thing's gonna get nerfed. A delay before damage starts, or a ramp up in damage, to give players time to escape it, etc. Right now it's like a Brimstone ult with no warning.

Yeah you can shoot it, if you're looking at the ground (bad) and if it's not buried inside a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah that's really the only thing in her kit that really needs to be looked at. The ult is a round changer and leaves to some really good moments in taking/retaking and just in general. It really moves the game forward that I'm so happy it exists.