Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

If you haven’t tried the Ares as an eco weapon you definitely should, it’s like the galil in the famas/mp5 cluster of eco buys.

Shreds sage walls too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Anecdotally I feel like round 2 eco wins are more common than in CS but I don't know how much of that might be to people just not saving either.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
From what I've seen, most people just force buy every single round regardless of situation or how little they can afford or what their teammates are doing.

I once saw the opposite, a guy that insisted we should full save after winning pistol round. We correctly ignored him, but managed to lose the round anyway. He then full bought round 3 with the rest of the team full saving. I think he was buying and saving opposite of the rest of the team for the rest of the half. Dude must be a galaxy brain cause I don't understand that play, and he wouldn't explain it to me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Its so you can do full buys with rifles on round 3 regardless of outcome of round 2 I think? Dying on a win can put you in a bad economic position if you want rifles.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

wondering if they’ll adopt the different kill rewards based on weapon class that cs has. i really like that system

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

RVT posted:

From what I've seen, most people just force buy every single round regardless of situation or how little they can afford or what their teammates are doing.

I once saw the opposite, a guy that insisted we should full save after winning pistol round. We correctly ignored him, but managed to lose the round anyway. He then full bought round 3 with the rest of the team full saving. I think he was buying and saving opposite of the rest of the team for the rest of the half. Dude must be a galaxy brain cause I don't understand that play, and he wouldn't explain it to me.

I've had a 10 year old tell us to do this too. Its just playing to lose

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool
Since we're all giving econ takes, I saw something a few weeks ago (maybe in this thread, it was a medium post I think...?) that really helped me with my early game economy. I try to buy down to 100 bucks in R1. Saving 100 gives you more options in the following rounds.

If you lose R1, you end up with 2000 total. You can force up with Light Armor + Spectre, buy a Ghost to go down to 1500 and have 3900 for R3, or full save for 4400 in R3.

If you win R1, either full buy to the best of your ability or buy down to 900; you've got a minimum of 2200 to play with. I'll usually do the 900 buy on Bind/Haven and go all out on Split if I'm on offense, because offense rounds on Split are precious. You get 3k for wins, so that gets you a minimum of 3900 for R3. If you end up losing the round, you're probably saving in R3 anyway.

There's lots of nuance in there, like the fact that Sage has a hard time saving 100 in the pistol round and other stuff, but that's the general idea. I've also gotten used to the idea that Light + Rifle at 3300 is a pretty decent buy, and on some characters it's worth losing the heavy shield to grab utility if you need it.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I just buy light armor in the pistol round because I can't aim and the armor will buy more time for my teammates to shoot the guy that's murdering me. :v:

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Ellipson posted:

There's lots of nuance in there, like the fact that Sage has a hard time saving 100 in the pistol round

I wasn't a guy that usually bought a pistol round 1 in CS, but I really hate the default pistol in Valorant. I recently switched to mainly playing Sage and her wall can be so huge on round 1 when it's much harder for the other team to bring down. I was buying wall and ghost (favorite pistol) round 1, but then they increased the cost of the wall from 300 to 400 and now I've had to switch to the frenzy.

I've had a ton of success on pistol rounds in Valorant, I often get 2-4 kills and start us off with a win, so I'm hesitant to change. When we get up higher and that drops off I'd consider switching to staying with the default pistol and buying some slow orbs and saving a bit of money.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I usually buy armour + utility on pistol because I'm usually playing breach and am probably gonna get traded. I'm usually torn on whether I should get two flashes or a flash and a damage thingy but that saving 100 creds tip is good so I think I'll go flash and damage thingy from now on.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I was divided on it, Frenzy + Armor was the very first thing I bought in the game just on instinct and then I kinda adapted to the Ghost meta. But now I'm back to thinking Frenzy + Armor, or just abilities and armor is strong and almost hard counters the Ghost. It's finicky to use, but close-medium range you almost can't lose a duel to no armor + ghost with a bit of recoil control. Rationing your bullets between two people can be a bit dicey though, at least for me.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Sometimes I'm trying to play CS and it turns out my opponent is playing Overwatch:

https://streamable.com/g2hnh0

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
We have a fifth now and so we're back in unrated getting yet another person their matches so they can play ranked.

Even with the hidden MMR, unrated is super all over the place. One game we play an Omen who kills one of us with every pull off his awp's trigger every round and we just get rolled. Next game I absolutely shred the enemy team for 39 kills. Last game we barely win but the team squeeks it out as I revert to being useless.

Writing that I still think unrated is all over the place, but I'm also realizing i have no consistency in my level of play.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been having some great games in unrated. Gotten quite a few teams that are coordinated and friendly. Occasionally the skill level is really wonky though. Had a game last night against a super good team and a guy on our team said he was immortal whereas I'm iron 3.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Yeah after playing more unranked there's no way there's some sort of 'hidden' MMR. The extreme spread in skill from match to match has been insane. First game today was against what felt like a five-stack that was running coordinated plays & fakes. Second game had two people on both teams who didn't understand how to plant the bomb, or why you shouldn't run towards the site with your flashbang out ready to throw for when you inevitably run into an enemy.

Also I hope they're putting a high priority on implementing punishments for quitters / allowing forfeits once someone DCs. Both games tonight had someone quit. First was on my team when the score was 8-9 which I don't understand because we weren't even getting stomped. Dude just raged out of the blue and quit. Second game was the same thing but on the other team. Dude was top of the board but I guess didn't like the team he was given so he bailed.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I doubt they'll ever add punishments for unrated leavers. I think there must be some kind of hidden MMR but my theory is they find 10 players of whatever skill and then try to make even teams out of them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, unranked is super swingy. Out of my last 10 unranked games, only three of them were decently close (within five points score difference), while the other 7 were blowouts one way or the other. And one of those close ones was only close because the winning team was down a player.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Has anyone been getting really weird ping spikes/network issues that seem to be related to gameplay? Like suddenly high ping when the gates drop or when rounding a corner.

this kinda got buried but yeah on the whole the game's been a bit of a mess since 0.50

some news on it though:

https://twitter.com/PlayVALORANT/status/1262865758108835840

https://twitter.com/RiotZiegler/status/1262849284010938368?s=20

also, to illustrate how off everything is atm, i had this happen last night, which i thought was pretty funny (but only because i wasn't on the receiving end):
https://streamable.com/1pgvi9

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I've noticed I get the "network issues" icon on the top right corner of the screen almost every game, even though my ping is ~30 and I never have any noticeable lag spikes.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I never got into CS because it was the first big "realism mod" and I always hated those, generally preferring shooters in those days that didn't have things like bonus damage to headshots, stopping to heal, etc. Of course I lost that battle over time as every game has that poo poo. More importantly I have always loathed guns and the culture around them, so the shift from "Super Shotgun" to Desert Eagles and MP7s left me cold.

There's just enough disassociation from that military/NRA bullshit that I'm kinda interested in this game, but I think I'll just wait and see how it shakes out. If my only experience is COD, what do I need to know?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIfezRztpcU

This guy has been putting out really good content the past few weeks and will quickly get you up to speed on some specific CS concepts you’d need to know to dive in and have a good time.

You don’t need to wait to see how it shakes you. If you get in just start playing and have fun. It’s a game after all not some serious commitment.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 20, 2020

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Craptacular! posted:

I never got into CS because it was the first big "realism mod" and I always hated those, generally preferring shooters in those days that didn't have things like bonus damage to headshots, stopping to heal, etc. Of course I lost that battle over time as every game has that poo poo. More importantly I have always loathed guns and the culture around them, so the shift from "Super Shotgun" to Desert Eagles and MP7s left me cold.

There's just enough disassociation from that military/NRA bullshit that I'm kinda interested in this game, but I think I'll just wait and see how it shakes out. If my only experience is COD, what do I need to know?

Just hop in and click heads brother, you'll pick up the basics pretty quick. Don't move while you're shooting or your shots will most likely miss.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

George H.W. oval office posted:

You don’t need to wait to see how it shakes you. If you get in just start playing and have fun. It’s a game after all not some serious commitment.

I meant "wait and see" as in "wait until I don't have to do a bunch of Twitch bullshit to be able to play."

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Craptacular! posted:

I meant "wait and see" as in "wait until I don't have to do a bunch of Twitch bullshit to be able to play."

i just put on a stream for like 2 hours for 2 days and then stopped and got the key like a day later

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah despite rumors I heard that it doesnt work if you mute it, or poo poo like that, I just left mine muted in the background for a couple hours and then got an email a day or two later

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They just announced that the launch is being brought forward to June 2nd

The 4th map, 11th agent and a new gamemode will be in at launch

No details on the new mode yet but they say games are shorter

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 21, 2020

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

:pray: I hope they are planning some map changes (specifically split gently caress you split)

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
nothing on that yet, but i personally don't deem it likely

woops, beaten sorry repiv

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

:pray: I hope they are planning some map changes (specifically split gently caress you split)

They already made some changes to split (unless you mean more). Any specific problems you have with split?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
well, that was the announcement:

repiv posted:

They just announced that the launch is being brought forward to June 2nd

The 4th map, 11th agent and a new gamemode will be in at launch

No details on the new mode yet but they say games are shorter

i might be too cynical here but i'm kind of bummed out about that june 2nd thing. i feel further big patches and testing were definitely needed prior to launch. i mean just this week they went from "you're seeing things" in response to the hitreg issue to "you're actually right. we're working on it but it might not be in the next patch" so it can't have been on their radar for long

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

poe meater posted:

They already made some changes to split (unless you mean more). Any specific problems you have with split?

It's gimmick sucks.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
They might replace the ropes with ladders instead

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
they should do away with the ropes from mid to a in general. the ones in sewer and on b are fine but the others make going from mid to a on offense entirely unfeasible. just make it a hallway, hell add two ramps if you absolutely must.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Lex Neville posted:

they should do away with the ropes from mid to a in general. the ones in sewer and on b are fine but the others make going from mid to a on offense entirely unfeasible. just make it a hallway, hell add two ramps if you absolutely must.

I like to take A ramp control on attack by smoking the cross. We can at least usually get the orb and allows for mid to A to be much more viable/open.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
i look forward to an influx of noobs that i can be better than for a short time

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Same, but I am very concerned about the current state of the net code.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

poe meater posted:

Too many angles to check as an attacker, mostly. Streamlining the pathways to site would help.

My new favorite map, gimmicky as it is, is the teleporter map. Having a quick but risky rotation is a cool risk/reward option, and it benefits coordinated teams.

Kabraxis
Mar 22, 2003

Well I guess it's lucky for me I'm not unarmed. Seeing as I'm....eating your beans.

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, I literally pulled up one of those "DROPS!!!11" streams one night before bed, turned the volume down, and woke up to my invite. Hassle free, baby.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

hobbesmaster posted:

Same, but I am very concerned about the current state of the net code.

It's not like bad net code has never existed in full retail price games before, let alone f2p ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Corbeau posted:

It's gimmick sucks.

What gimmick?

The way to make split work for you is to control mid aggressively, that’s all it comes down to.