Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fadam posted:

If this game came out ten years ago I’d be all over it, but at thirty I feel like I just do t have what it takes anymore :(

There are many 30+ year olds in tier 1 leagues across esports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Asema posted:

At the same time, just because they've played it non-stop also doesn't really mean anything at this point. Though it's encouraging that Riot didn't do the EA/Apex paid advertisement for 3 days for the viewership and they are still playing it.

Didn't EA only pay a couple of streamers and the rest was organic?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

StabMasterArson posted:

This looks really bad

Turn on your monitor so you can watch streams of the really good new game from Riot, VALORANT.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I remember people streaming artifact and trying to convince their chat that actually this was a good game and not a convoluted pile of trash.

That said, everyone was really hyped about Apex too and while its still a good game its popularity is nowhere near what the original week of streams would make you think it'd be like.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Asema posted:

Apex is still doing pretty well for itself. Chasing view numbers is insanity.

Actual player pops are pretty clearly nowhere near what they were the initial month too, but that dramatically outpaced what EA expected for the game. EA didn't have any content or a roadmap ready to go, they probably had very, very low expectations for the game.

edit: for your chasing stream metrics amusement bernie sanders's twitch stream currently has 123k viewers to watch him drop out of the race

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 8, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Overwatch has to pay for what a decade of failed MMO development just to break even? so it may still be a “failure”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BurgerQuest posted:

this game seems boring as gently caress, at least watching teh streamers play it

- throw magic powers around
- peak around corner and be killed or kill first person you see

rinse repeat for your 12 hour no peepeepoopoo stream

Yes, its a tactical shooter, if you don't like them you won't like VALORANT.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I just got my beta key and played around and can confirm the game is good even if I haven't played CS in over a decade.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

prom candy posted:

fair. i was embarrassingly old before i realized that if i only like a game when i'm winning it means i don't like that game.

This needs to be the startup screen for overwatch.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

does that include games where you scream nonsense at goons all game, go 10-18, then rage quit the discord?

:thunk:

Everyone on the discord channel counts as a kill!

Uh... two kills?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kimcicle posted:

It shows how much the Valorant devs care about the gaming experience. CS:GO can run at 128 but still cap the official matchmaking servers to 64. I think CoD and Overwatch only run at 30-ish? Having a high tick rate really helps with making sure that what you see on your screen is as close as possible to the in-world state that exists on the server. Downside is that it requires beefier hardware for the game servers.

Also enjoy this chat log:

wow that kimcicle guy is an rear end in a top hat

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jimmydalad posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/teamliquid

In case anyone cares, Team Liquid’s CS team is playing against a bunch of prominent Valorant players like Shroud, Mendo and Aceu.

CS team is winning.

If you're throwing random streamers onto a team of course the organized team is going to win. You could probably put an OWL or even LCS team in there and have it be competitive.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They've intentionally kept graphics demands very low so I expect the native resolution of your monitor will be fine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Seagull is duo queuing with and interviewing a valorant gameplay designer on his stream right now:
https://www.twitch.tv/a_seagull
The gameplay interruptions are amusing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

He’s the character design lead for valorant.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

See so many people peak corners while reloading

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I feel called out

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

they ask, on the forum where blinky posts regularly

blinky only posts in one overwatch thread

if you want a major streamer with drops just watch seagull

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ufarn posted:

So far, Raze is apparently a Brazilian whose voice is very much not Brazilian, so I guess it's fair to admit to some similarities to Overwatch given how Tracer very much did not sound like a Londoner.

Look, they got someone from the right country, what more do you expect from an american game dev company?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Keegers posted:

I feel like all non csgo/r6 players gonna be stomped. Non including devs

Uhhhh

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Burgo posted:

To be fair they arent pros just streamers.

So was Cloud 9 a charity or

If you want to say "I want to see a team play this game" then say so instead of saying former c9 starters aren't pros.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Also the rez has the serious downside of returning someone to life in the place where they died. If that person's on attack, it's likely that being in that place is just going to get them killed again

Its also on such a long cool down, its nowhere near as powerful as it seems.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lex Neville posted:

@hobbesmaster, the cooldown depends on your own performance

Its 7 pips, thats realistically only going to be up every what third round at most? If its up more often you're hard carrying and clearly don't need to res anyone.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

ESPN tournament happening now with CS vs. R6 https://www.twitch.tv/espnesports

I've watched for 30s and this is the most scuffed production I've seen in a long time and I briefly watched a game of OWL this season.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr.Citrus posted:

I don't find valorant fun to watch, like apex / pubg / Cs / siege. This might be due to spectator tools but also 40 second round intermission is great in game, terrible for viewing.

Thats going to depend greatly on the casters and other packaging. Goldenboy casting the devs vs streamer team was quite good because Goldenboy is good at what he does.

Its telling that the caster audio is such poo poo. Streamers that peak with 30 concurrent views have better mics.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Heres a good sample of the experience https://clips.twitch.tv/BadProtectivePterodactylPeoplesChamp

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Finally found where the rosters were hidden:
https://liquipedia.net/valorant/ESPN_Esports_Invitational

Team Overwatch is going to get rolled but their voice chat will be amazing if streamed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

TEAM GRAPHIC would be a good name though

Guaranteeing that half of the teams in the next community tourney will try and get that name.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Small indy company (checks notes) ESPN

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Whoever those League pros were I'm now 100% confident that five goons half-drunk in discord could wipe the floor with them

boostio and kephrii could 2v5 them

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This OW/R6 match is great

edit: I’ve never seen emongg taking command quite like this before, seriously watch the team OW stream

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 21, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

:siren: Overwatch players are better than R6 players :siren:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Make a new hero who screams "TRADE ME" every time they die

Esports ready!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Auto shotty is ok but the alt shot on the semi is so much cooler.

I'm not sure I've seen a scout used well? The problem is that theres no reason to get it over the deagle but different maps may change that balance.

HMGs are to wallbang with but again I'm not sure I've seen them do better work than the rifles?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The important thing in the tournament is that the overwatch team embarasses other FPS teams and that the LoL people rage quit.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Overwatch v Apex is live: https://www.twitch.tv/emongg

(I am NOT linking that main stream)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You defeated the purpose!

Anyway, team overwatch is not doing well so far, down 5-0 at the moment

edit: ugh Emongg needs to igl instead of lurk and they're losing every entry frag

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

11-12 Apex :ohdear:

Apex wins by like 10% of a defuse bar. Really good match.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 22, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

Carter blew a rez in a 3v1 and was 5-20 :(

*checks nvidia recording directory to make sure he didn't record any of his own sage games*

Haha yeah, what an idiot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What’s the best POV for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Dizzy, Aceu, and Mendo all played CS pretty heavily. Not pro level, but still top 1%.

The CS team is all active tier 2 though, thats pretty impressive regardless. And the Overwatch team just lost to this team thats even with CSGO 13-11