Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Anyone else getting getting an anticheat error and kicked to desktop whenever you join a game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

jimmydalad posted:

I think it’s a bit premature considering the game’s only been in closed beta for 1 day but ok?

AZK is permanently banned from competitive CS:GO after being caught in a match fixing scandal so it's not like he has any other options for going pro in this type of game lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

fadam posted:

My only complaint right now is that I wish the character designs were a little more crazy, but I guess they have to keep everyone’s silhouettes semi-similar.

Yeah everyone has the same hitboxes so they can't vary the character proportions too much

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

Skin prices not final according to the post that went on the website earlier, though most skins in League are £10-15 so that's probably the baseline they're working from.

PSA for everyone, they're refunding all real money purchases at the end of the beta plus a 20% bonus on top, so if you buy something and they make it cheaper later you won't get ripped off

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

fadam posted:

The voice acting in this game seems very high quality but it’s simultaneously also very obnoxious.

If you mean the extraneous voice lines are obnoxious you can turn those off, it's the Agent Flavor setting under voiceovers

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

fadam posted:

Does this remove ult/ability call outs?

No, those are controlled by the Tactical Callouts toggle

Agent Flavor is just the unimportant fluff lines

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

e;fb on the ult stuff

icantfindaname posted:

Do the defenders/CTs get the same equipment as the attackers? Are there any slot restrictions on heroes, or can you have 10 Phoenixes playing at once?

same equipment on both teams

you can't have duplicates on one team but in the current unranked format you can have the same hero on both sides, we don't know if ranked/competitive will work differently yet

repiv fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 9, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

one thing the wiki doesn't get across is that ultimates are heavily telegraphed, activating one plays a global voice line to the entire server (different lines for enemy and allied ults) so you know it's coming

i.e. if you hear JOKES OVER, YOU'RE DEAD you know the enemy phoenix just used his ult

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Many of the pros are mad about the direction Riot took with Raze, so we'll soon get to see how they respond to feedback.

https://twitter.com/RiotZiegler/status/1248106622351638529

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

i dunno what showers are but you can pull up a big map in-game by pressing M that has all the callouts on it. i think it also shows your current location by the radar?

yeah the problem is those callouts on the map weren't implemented in the earlier build the streamers got, so they already coined a bunch of callouts (like "showers" and "hookah") that don't match the official ones

if you google valorant callouts some sites have made maps based on the streamer callouts

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 9, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

fadam posted:

What’s the lore behind that boost? Did it get patched out?

It did get patched out but Valve left a new decal there to remember it by

"climbing the rails is forbidden"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's a sad state of affairs but anti-cheats need to be invasive to have any hope of being effective, when malicious users have full control over the machine being cheated on the AC devs need every edge they can get.

The good news is that the driver will be picked apart by cheat developers and we'll soon find out if they're doing anything shady, like that time VAC got caught snooping on users DNS history.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I7SIr3lfas

:eyepop: riot pls fix

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Vanguard seems most similar to ESEA, what with loading a driver at boot, which makes sense given that Riot poached several of the ESEA anti-cheat developers. The other anti-cheats usually only load their driver when the game is running.

It's a super invasive way to go but there's no denying it works, as far as I know ESEA is the hardest environment to cheat in outside of LANs. The minimally invasive route is something like VAC which may as well be a sign saying "no cheating please".

repiv fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 14, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There is a "last weapon" button you can bind to Q if you want, I know a few CS players who had to do it because they couldn't break the muscle memory :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/PlayVALORANT/status/1250235221024231424

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They also rigged the FOV so it's exactly the same regardless of aspect ratio, so the CS weirdos who play 4:3 stretched to make the player models fatter can't do that here.

Well they can try, but since the FOV doesn't change they just end up back where they started except with ugly stretched pixels.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

what is the 'econ rating' based off of, because i have never seen one above 100 until a game where i had 167

It's how much damage you dealt per 1000 credits spent, on average.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Wheeee posted:

i can't wait for the email advising me that their rootkit anticheat got compromised oops who could have seen that coming but don't worry you may not have been one of the 200,000 people whose systems were compromised

i've got bad news about nearly every other multiplayer game if you're worries about this happening, they all have kernel modules that get silently updated on a whim

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

Haven't played yet, but how do revives work? The idea of a 1v1 retake suddenly becoming a 2v1 is pretty :vomarine:

Ultimates like the revive need to be charged up, you get 1 ult point per kill/death/plant/defuse and need 6 or 7 of them for a full charge (the revive is 7 IIRC). You can't use them very often.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

It does the same thing that EasyAntiCheat and BattlEye and numerous other ACs do except it gets loaded at boot instead of on demand so its callbacks and hotpatch points can't be hooked while loading by cheats by intercepting driver loads.

Source: am someone who has done both kernel development and anticheat development.

I did some reading on what the other anticheats are doing in the wake of the vanguard controversy and it's extremely funny to me that reddit is pissing its pants over hypothetical privacy violations in Vanguard while completely ignoring actual documented privacy violations in BattlEye

https://secret.club/2020/03/31/battleye-developer-tracking.html

The title of every window you have running gets sent to their servers lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Tetramin posted:

I think the scarier part would be if someone found a way to exploit the AC to install malware or whatever, it'd be way worse than if someone found an exploit in say, easy anti-cheat or other root level AC's.

I'm not seeing it, if someone found a local privalige escalation exploit in EAC or BE their unprivalidged payload can probably just load the driver the same way the game does, or failing that execute pubg.exe and let that load the driver. The driver not being loaded all the time is barely an inconvenience.

Poorly coded drivers leading to that kind of exploit is a genuine concern but Vanguard doesn't seem to be any worse than what the competition is doing.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Vermain posted:

That's to be expected, since the game's just barely gotten into the hands of people with the know-how to crack it open. It's why the devs are offering a bounty of up to $100k for verified exploits.

The bug bounty is only for exploits that would allow malicious code to escalate to ring0 via the Vanguard driver, not exploits that allow Vanguards detections to be bypassed. It's a good move but not related to actually stopping cheaters.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jeza posted:

Vaguely tragically, CS:GO did start to get a handle on cheating in my opinion, in combination with Overwatch, more proactive VAC development and a year plus of Prime MM where eventually most cheaters were culled from the system with the trust factor. Then the game went F2P, and any hope of ever stemming the tide was just detonated on the spot.

It didn't help that you used to need a unique phone number to get Prime but after CS:GO went F2P you just needed to play enough or spend 10bux to become Prime eligible, and all pre-F2P accounts got Prime automatically.

Needing a constant supply of non-blacklisted phone numbers (they blocked most VOIP providers) made life harder for cheaters to come back on new accounts and they just threw that away for no reason.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Prism isn't supposed to look like that, that's a bug that only happens on low settings. Riot already acknowledged it so it'll probably be fixed in the next patch.

This is how it's supposed to render:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF9T3irrkxI&t=65s

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 22, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Astrognome posted:

Got my beta key last night, still can't play because of something to do with Vanguard. Went as far as uninstalling VirtualBox and a couple other services it supposedly flags, still can't play. GG Riot, good game you have here that requires the player to have a separate work computer.

Apparently they started blacklisting a bunch of drivers that are known vectors for ring0 escalation, most notably the Gigabyte driver that has been abused by cheaters and malware devs for ages.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/ransomware-installs-gigabyte-driver-to-kill-antivirus-products/

This has made the situation on Reddit even funnier as people who are terrified of Vanguard possibly being a backdoor into ring0 are now mad that Vanguard won't let them use a driver that's definitely a backdoor into ring0.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ufarn posted:

Reminds me of how quickly everyone stopped giving a poo poo about Intel vulnerabilities and all the Kaiser stuff. Just gimme more frames.

It's not even more frames in this case, they're mad because the software for controlling their RGB LEDs is blacklisted for being a gaping security hole lmao

Astrognome posted:

I've removed everything I could find that's on the naughty list. The problem isn't that they're flagging vulnerable drivers, the problem is that Vanguard can choke on things like that and provides literally 0 information to the user about what's making it fail. If a driver is blacklisted there needs to be a message that tells you to remove the driver, not a generic "reboot to finish installing Vanguard" error. That's why it's beta though, hopefully they're working on improving this.

Yeah they do need better error messages so the user knows what to remove/upgrade

Apparently it's being worked on: https://www.reddit.com/r/VALORANT/comments/g4ac08/anticheat_fix/fobyt5v/

repiv fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 25, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Elman posted:

Just got beta access but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with installing a gaping security hole on my computer just to play some videogame.

If you consider ring0 anticheat to be an inherent security risk I have bad news about *checks notes* almost every other shootmans game

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You'll get a Twitch notification and also an email once you're in.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It varies a lot depending on how the games regions are structured, English may be prevalent in western europe but games like Valorant treat EU/CIS as one giant region and the more eastern countries have far fewer english speakers. Like 5% of the population once you reach Russia.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

fun fact, although there's no way to disable the profanity filter within valorant it's an account-wide setting so disabling it in league of legends also disables it in valorant :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Astrognome posted:

I've removed everything I could find that's on the naughty list. The problem isn't that they're flagging vulnerable drivers, the problem is that Vanguard can choke on things like that and provides literally 0 information to the user about what's making it fail. If a driver is blacklisted there needs to be a message that tells you to remove the driver, not a generic "reboot to finish installing Vanguard" error. That's why it's beta though, hopefully they're working on improving this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VALORANT/comments/g9aoap/upcoming_vanguard_changes/

Vanguard is supposed to inform you what specifically is blocked by its blacklist now

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

congrats to omen on the monster energy sponsorship

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

err posted:

They delayed ranked? Until when?

It's not delayed, they never said it was coming today. It's coming when they decide new patch is stable.

Speaking of which

https://twitter.com/PlayVALORANT/status/1255681803446185985

repiv fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 30, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Phoenix's VA is spot on tbh, sounds exactly like some Black Londoner FGC guys I know, they did a great job with him.

It helps that they got a British VA to voice him rather than an American doing a bad impression like most games would :v:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm9580667

They made some effort to match the accents in general, Cyphers VA is British-Moroccan, Jetts is British-Korean, Breaches is Norwegian, Razes is Colombian, etc.

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 30, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Up Circle posted:

starting today. vanguard disabled my wifi driver. so my choices are either launch valorant without an internet connection, or launch valorant without vanguard. hahaha

Try updating the WiFi driver, Vanguard deliberately kills drivers with known security vulnerabilities and it may have been fixed already

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

dogstile posted:

I can't wait for gamer's to start begging to use their exposed drivers while in the same breath cursing vanguard for being a possible security flaw.

oh you'd better believe that's already happening on reddit

#1 post on /r/pcgaming right now is people very mad that vanguard blocks some hardware monitoring tools because their driver allows anything to bypass the entire windows security model and take over ring0

https://secret.club/2020/04/28/anticheat_blocking_overclocking_tools.html

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They're easing up on the driver blocks after they accidentally broke peoples mouse input by blocking Interception. We'll see how it goes from here.

https://twitter.com/PlayVALORANT/status/1258493180510519296

https://twitter.com/arkem/status/1258494545035014144

repiv fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 7, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

prom candy posted:

Can you spend IRL money to unlock agents or do you have to just slog through the XP grind?

You can throw money at it if you want, it's about $2 per contract level so $10 to get the agent at level 5 if you haven't progressed at all.

I think contract levels 6-10 (all cosmetic stuff) require you to grind XP though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

FWIW Riot said the agent contracts will be easier to grind out in the launch version

https://beta.playvalorant.com/en-us/news/game-updates/02-on-vanguard-errors-solutions-gun-skins-and-agent-progression/

quote:

I’ll lead with the straightforward news on agent contract progression—it’s a bit slow right now, so we’re going to speed it up for launch. Our original plan was to introduce weekly missions that would provide meaningful chunks of XP to your character contracts. However, in playing through our current system we realized that being gated by weekly missions to unlock the next agent you want to play doesn’t feel very good. So at launch we’ll be reducing the overall amount of experience needed per character contract level while still having weekly missions function as supplementary XP boosts.