Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

fadam posted:

Yeah, it doesn’t matter how good you are in this game, you can’t really fight your way out of bad situations by being better than the other guy if he’s got the drop on you, which is why all the abilities that make people have to move/give up their positioning are so strong.

how accurate is this because i dont dig that :whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Doctor Nick posted:

I'm looking at gameplay footage of this, and I'm looking at how they're promoting the game, and I can't help but feel that everything about this just reeks of cynicism.

The game looks like a very obvious and uncreative way of blending CS:GO with Overwatch, whether you're looking at the character's abilities, the map design, the visual design, etc.; It's predictable, I don't really see any creativity or inspiration in any of these design decisions, and as a result it looks just very bland and derivative.

I suppose I can't really fault Riot for doing what it's always done and lift whole game concepts from mods and other games and turning them into popular F2P stand-alone games, but it bothers me that one of the most popular and anticipated multiplayer game launches this year is something THIS creatively bankrupt, especially when its main method of promotion is a very obvious ploy to artificially inflate viewership numbers. It doesn't exactly presage good things for future games.

csgo has the best competitive shooter mechanics ever so I mean..........who cares as long as its good.

the demo who is looking for a tight, laser-focused experience, will dig on this if it can out-perform csgo on a technical level while bringing in interesting and balanced mechanics.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

yeah. I'm excited for it basically because it's a Counter-Strike that makes utility use far more intuitive so random people you play with don't go the whole game without throwing a flashbang.

pop-flashes and smokes are really fascinating aspects of play....that are super clunky and obnoxious to learn.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I can feel mcvey reading these posts and getting completely riled up :dogcited:

:haw:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

bugs me they don't do 30 round games

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

a couple pros are getting banned for plugging in their phone to charge while playing lmao

https://www.dexerto.com/valorant/csgo-star-mixwell-banned-from-valorant-after-bizarre-anti-cheat-error-1354284

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Snapes N Snapes posted:

So I figured this thread would be a good fit for the following question: it's finally time for me to git gud at pc fps and start using low sens and arm aim instead of high sens and wrist aim. How do I go about this though? I've been putting this off for years and seems daunting to me. Any tips?

Big rear end mousepad like a steelseries and lots of slack on the cord. Make sure to turn off mouse acceleration in windows settings and in game.

Try going really low, and slowly raise it until you feel like you have good control over your mouse. Most people feel pretty good with 800-1000 effective DPI in counterstrike, which is usually 2 sensitivity in game and 400 on the mouse.

Conversion guide here if you ever played a fps https://www.dexerto.com/amp/valorant/set-valorant-sensitivity-overwatch-csgo-apex-legends-rainbow-six-1348648

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Stux posted:

everyone you can stop using comically low dpis now its 2020 just use a normal dpi and low in game sens its a lot better

:hmmno:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

charity rereg posted:

I dont love any of these maps so far and I'm bummed we will probably never have community servers like we do in CS, but maybe i'm wrong.

they all look like low-poly versions of mirage, dust, etc lol

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

charity rereg posted:

i'm ok with them looking kind of choppy (again i played 1.6 :v: ) because visibility is really really good, and like all hardcore sweaty nerds i'm on low anyway to keep it >144fps during action. but the map design itself isn't as good as in CS (theres a reason like 8 maps have stood almost 20 years time) and I really worry about the maps becoming unbalanced by hero, and in general continuing to balance around heroes/abilities seems like a loving fools errand that has never ever worked in any game except maybe apex. I feel like OW has been constantly endlessly balancing around heroes/buffs/new heroes/etc and its something I didnt like about CS:GO - how much it changes the meta all the drat time.

yeah, I cant quite put my finger on it, but I literally cannot remember a single distinguishing thing about them. im sure they will reiterate, but considering Volcano is a dev I expected a lot more.

granted, im not in beta yet, but this is after watching hours of streams.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Haven't played yet, but how do revives work? The idea of a 1v1 retake suddenly becoming a 2v1 is pretty :vomarine:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Lex Neville posted:

I mostly meant to clarify to Famethrowa that it isn't a set timer

that said, you can pretty easily distribute the ult points for defuses/plants (and to a certain extent even for kills; on entry it's probably better to bait for sage than it is for phoenix for example) so every three rounds definitely isn't unthinkable

quote:

1v1 someone rezzed me making it 2v1 and we took the site planted & defended, it was insanely OP. probably a better CT would have heard/stopped it, but 1v1 you can get a second away from the other guy.

this is a cartoonish, fun CS-like which does not exist, CS may actually be the most casual of the CS-likes (Ghost Recon, etc) and i am enjoying myself. that continues to be my read on it.

it'll be very interesting to me how they thread the needle between OW and CS. I don't think I'm interested in a "casual" CS, because the minute to minute gameplay isn't what hooks me (even if it feels good), but the metagame totally does. I can't wait to see what the metagame and head-fuckery for this shakes out too, and I hope it doesn't become piss easy decisions like "always expect a revive on bomb plants".

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

ESPN tournament happening now with CS vs. R6 https://www.twitch.tv/espnesports

I know it's a beta tournament, but man the spectating is rough. Seems like the caster is controlling camera, which is weird, considering one of the devs is married to the best CSGO spectator in the business. Woulda thought they would have contacts to get them someone decent. I wonder what the tournament tools are like.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mr.Citrus posted:

I don't find valorant fun to watch, like apex / pubg / Cs / siege. This might be due to spectator tools but also 40 second round intermission is great in game, terrible for viewing.

yeah...if they are going to use force walls, why not have a 15 sec buy period, spawn you by the walls, and go from there? the timings are forced anyway...

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

low-key hoping league team wins a match. if they beat overwatch i'd cry laughing

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Doublelift quit before the CS match and then imaqtpie quit afterwards.

The immaturity from both is truly shocking

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Or... they are trying to reduce false positives + make it harder for cheat sellers to adapt their cheats when they see bans trickling in

... also reduces faith in cheat sellers etc

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

dogstile posted:

People who are cheating know they'll get caught eventually, they're not reducing faith.

some people are hardcore cheaters, but there's also a lot of kiddie rage hackers who if they see a sudden flood of "wtf this no longer works" on the cheat forums, may be dissuaded from trying it.

imo, reducing casual cheaters has a much bigger impact in general.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Knowing you can cheat without disruption for 4-6 months at a time actually increases faith in cheat sellers and ensures people keep buying new accounts after they're banned. hth

We never will, but I would kill to see game sales data for the week before and the week after a ban wave.

yes, ban waves every 4 months would be bad, but I have never seen that long of a break between.

and, to remind you, most systems ban pretty consistently over time if the cheat isn't sophisticated. the only reason you see a "wave" is because a new sophisticated cheat signature is fully vetted and it takes time to weed out false positives.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Pretty much every competitive fps or BR that I've played has been on a 4-6 month cycle of banwaves. Apex, pubg, cs, ow, etc. all were 3-4 months minimum and often substantially longer. OW was at over a year recently until some concerned citizen acquired the source for a couple of the prominent hacks and then literally had to raise a shitstorm to get them to do anything at all with it.

The kicker? OW leaderboards lost 120 of the top 500 acounts in korea, and 180 of the top 500 accounts in SEA and a ton out of NA/EU as well.

I can only speak for CS, but vacwaves are usually 4-6 weeks right now, and they don't even use a kernel system. I'm not surprised the other games with flagging esports aren't doing so hot :smug: (of course, other banning systems don't have an open API so it is possible it is actually more similar to CS. )

if Valorant can do banwaves in this fashion I'm not too concerned.

https://steamdb.info/stats/bans/

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Finally played my first couple matches. Feeling...mixed?

Certain guns feel pretty nice, but they're pretty hard to tell apart when they're dropped. Visual signatures on guns are really bland, which is weird considering how drat good the fidelity on enemies are.

Loved the wallbanging, reminded me how much CS is missing it

Not digging the R6 style abilities at all. Having double fakes ruined because of a camera really sucks rear end. Defenders feel way too overtuned as a result. Overwatch abilities are ok and feel reasonably close to balanced.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

charity rereg posted:

in the long run despite goons being goons, this is why playing with goons tends to be more fun i guess

the sub.io crew is a nice group of gamers. would recommend.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kild posted:

my ex mcree main has picked up phoenix and he mains sheriff - i think people are really going to learn to respect this gun in the hands of mcree mains, they can absolutely pull off some nutty plays
its going to change how people play pistol rounds
were already noticing people play a lot more at range now

sheriff is essentially a better deagle for me, a CS player. recoil feels so minor, and the accuracy is basically perfect. I was struggling with sprays, but was getting 2-3k with that stupid gun.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

Do I stall the plant for 15 seconds and win or do I try and 1v1 and risk the loss immediately? With pubs it’s the 1v1 every. Single. Time. Maddening

im glad this game is so friendly to csgo veterans :v:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

tildes posted:

everything is popdog.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

fadam posted:

My hot take is I don’t think this game should have any sort of Rez or heal tbqh.

icy cold in the center microwaved take here, but I agree

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I hope this doesn't become "form a giant meatball of ability spam and push" because that was the worst part of OWL

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

The CS1.6 shield could be added, it'd be a disaster but its something that might happen.

bring back dynamic economy while we're at it

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

I went looking for actual charts showing what fuckery that was all I can find are comments about things like "$16000 deagles and $200 m249s" and I don't remember it being THAT bad but I barely played CSS.

the dynamic economy only lasted like a week? two weeks? because it was so unbearably bad.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I can't believe y'all are dogpiling on him when this threads only idea for good Valorant maps is to just literally copy CS maps.

I can't think of any maps, outside of maybe Quake or UT, that have had more playtesting done to polish timings and angles. Most of the major map features currently ingame, like mid-doors, directly copy snippets of CS maps anyway.

A poorly balanced map for a CS style game is a nightmare to play, and pooping out 7 maps that haven't been playtested to death sounds pretty unfun.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

poe meater posted:

IMO, cypher is still allright on offense. You can safely ignore flankers with a cypher on your team and is a nightmare to deal with on post plant situations. Then you still have an incredible anchor on defense.

cypher completely breaks post plants, to the point that I would almost want his cameras to be disabled on bomb plant.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

repiv posted:

oh you'd better believe that's already happening on reddit

#1 post on /r/pcgaming right now is people very mad that vanguard blocks some hardware monitoring tools because their driver allows anything to bypass the entire windows security model and take over ring0

https://secret.club/2020/04/28/anticheat_blocking_overclocking_tools.html

I recently started a cybersecurity major...and I think my professor might have a conniption reading reddit right now.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

mcvey posted:

You thought cs 1.6 maps were too whacky, interesting and, out there? Well have I got the game for you

It's really cool that site only has 2-3 places to hold from, and 1 of those is getting spammed with nukes.

Give me more nooks and crannies and sneaky peek spots please...

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

I wonder if valorant has better/more generous hit registration that contributes to more consistently fatal engagements. Maybe 128 tick makes that big of a difference?

spray spread is relatively small, and movement penalties are really low for guns that arent scout or awp. crouchwalking, for example, has perfect accuracy.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

had a realization about what is causing the blandness of matches for me. it's the timing and buy periods

there is absolutely no tension before you make contact with the enemy! with CS you rush forward, making last minute calls, and you have ~10-20 seconds of anticipation before you hit the enemy. even in the pro scene, some of the best moments happen after a tense period of waiting.

in valorant, you run up to an invisible barrier, buy some items, slice the wall a bit theeen....you run up to face enemy and die 2 seconds later.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

So push the invisible wall back about a five second walk and make the round five seconds longer :rolleye:

I don't get that complaint. You don't have to start right up against the wall if you don't want to, and the first play at the choke is blowing all your sightline/movement impairing abilities and gathering information, not W+M1. That's not a tactical shooter, that's deathmatch in the choke with more steps.

I don't have that many hours watching high-level players, but the games I did see were all 90 seconds of mindgames with smokes and arrows and walls of opaque stuff followed by a 15-second gunfight

you don't see how walking out to a choke, pressing buttons, and waiting, kills a lot of the inertia and momentum of the game?

maybe this would be alleviated by maps that allow more disengagement and pick play, I agree that you don't necessarily need to have the "run-up". right now though, it boils down to what you said...90 seconds of waiting followed by a 4-5 man push onto a site. I like the mindgames, but it leans really heavily on them right now.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

I'm claiming, possibly wrongly, that there should be no momentum at that point: the info gathering stage is for gathering info. Ts can't go in without some kind of plan, CTs shouldn't be going anywhere that isn't the site where the bomb was seen last. At that point, feinting and smoking is really all T side can do, unless they wanna show the bomb and then make a lot of noise from that area while someone else runs away with it and plants it clear on the other side of the map.

Lately on T side I've seen this translated to not going in at all. Players really shouldn't be able to block each other, or their shots, in casual play. It's really irritating.

the main issue I'm seeing, is that the way to take a site is to spam abilities at every corner, and clear the CTs from the site, no need for pick advantage usually. if there was a more robust way to pick, and create an advantage that can be pushed, I think the flow would be a lot better.

in general, it's hard to reach an angle before a CT to attempt to pick them off, unless the CT is dumb and pushes. CTs not having a good risk/reward (since disengaging is so hard) for pushing is a problem too, because it makes the game boil down to holding site, placing some abilities, and waiting.

mid-doors on the map ??? is one of the few exceptions. it's nice to win that battle and split the map in half.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

In that sense it is a bit like CS. If CTs are posted up in a "correct position" (bonus points if you're Jett) then you're either going skill vs. skill-plus-position and hoping to win a duel you shouldn't,

That was partially my point about the run-up and timing which needs work. In CS, there are often opportunities for a T to be covering an angle before a CT can be there, which gives the possibility of a pick. It can be mitigated by CTs, but sometimes a "surprise motherfucker!" happens, which makes for some tense retakes and desperate 1vX site heroics.

which, I would love for this game to have, because the clutch moments are on par, if not better, then CS sometimes.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jeza posted:

Not being a dick, but what positions are you thinking of? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any. Certainly not for straight up holding site entrances. You can have cute poo poo like T awping from A Ramp on Mirage to hit players crossing to connector, likewise on mid on Inferno. But the CT's can be holding every major angle first(?)

not a dick, I was unclear. it's not usually a direct take, but crunching on a site from a couple angles based on a timing pick happens a lot, like mid-Mirage, mid-DustII, B apts etc.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

:eyepop:

yeah thats the games potential right there. can't wait for them to iron things out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

I've actually heard the argument from someone that removing the RNG spawn aspect is a negative. In a competitive shooter that has no other RNG. :psyduck:

some people are just determined to hate change I guess

it does make round strats more variable depending on your spawn position, which can stop teams from running the exact same strat round after round. I guess this applies more to spectating an esport though.

I also don't mind forcing CTs to play around the possibility of a T beating them to an angle some rounds, and creating some risk/reward for certain peeks, but :shrug: I guess it's not huge.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 6, 2020