Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

It seems like only 20% of my games have no AFKs on either side, and it's really bumming me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Ya know, it doesn't take that long to design a map for a game like this. Not seeing a good reason they still only have 3.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I'm now up to 15 games in a row where someone afk's on one or both teams

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Jeza posted:

It takes longer than you think to design a tight competitive map, which is what they are shooting for. Some people may only be used to games where devs poo poo out like twenty maps at launch, most of which are totally unsuitable for anything but public play. However, you're right in that they've probably had plenty of time to develop more than 3 maps. And it is very likely that they have 2-3 more competitive maps ready to line up and launch. In fact I'd expect them to release another one or two during the Closed Beta, or at least for the Open Beta if that is happening. They won't release all the maps they have immediately into the beta pool, because they can thoroughly test this pool of maps and iron out the literally hundreds of quirks and bugs.

I used to make a lot of maps for Counterstrike, so I know exactly how long it takes to make a good map. They've had more than enough time and there should be at least 6 by now if not more.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

I'm sure that your experience with custom maps in CS relates directly to devs making maps in a game that has a lot of new abilities that do things totally unlike anything in cs that maps have to take into account and also when all the maps so far contain unique art assets

Yes, as someone who has spent a significant amount of time making levels for games I do have a good idea of how long these things take. Not sure why that's hard for you to believe. They are also an entire team of professionals who's job it is to make content for this game for 40 or more hours every week. I'm not expecting them to poo poo out a bunch of half finished maps, but this is a closed beta so a few more maps that aren't 100% ironed out is fine. I'm honestly surprised they even released a playable version of the game with only 3 maps, considering the maps are one of the only ways a game like this has any variety.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Audax posted:

My dude, the drat CS community plays the same drat 7 maps for 20 years. People are going to play this game no matter the loving what.

There's a lot more than those 7 maps to choose from though. Just because 24/7 de dust servers exist doesn't mean 3 maps is enough.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

interrodactyl posted:

Hey, I'm still interested in playing your CS maps, can you link a few of your favorites?

Hey friend. I was part of a mapping group called Dimension Studios. We made maps for cs source from like '05-'07. Seems like only a few maps still have an intact download link somewhere. Here's a small collection of map names + screenshots I was able to find from google:
https://www.moddb.com/groups/dimension-studios

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

this is the beta, let me play test those other maps

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Jeza posted:

I don't think the main point that "3 maps isn't very many" is really wrong or anything. The full game being released with only 4 maps is pretty low, but I have no idea the size of the team working on the game, we have no idea how many maps they have in the pipeline, and so on.

For a game in development for "years", it does seem like few. It doesn't really matter a great deal to me, given they are obviously building this game for the long-haul. Different agents make the same maps play out differently, and the most important thing is the overall gameplay loop being solid.

To me, the more salient mapping question is less whether Riot will drip-feed us new maps from their ivory tower, but whether community mapping will be permissible. If it isn't already obvious, a massive amount of things in CS were community sourced. Game modes like gungame, surf, climbing maps, totally bizarro poo poo, and even a large number of maps in the competitive pool.

I'm pretty sure they have no plans on allowing custom servers, so the answer is almost certainly no custom content :(

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

they updated the menu music to be less repetitive lol

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I'm not seeing any indication of LP next to my rank, is there a point system behind the ranks or what?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

poe meater posted:

Btw volcano just said they plan to have 4 maps on release, so send your cs map making portfolio over

4 maps total? So one extra map from what we have now? lol.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

it wouldn't be so bad if the maps we had already were more interesting

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

Real question. What makes a map good and interesting that these aren’t? Im curious about map design principles

the biggest problem I notice with these maps is that they're all basically just a gently caress ton of right angles and corners

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

SweetBro posted:

Am I just absolute poo poo at this game because it feels like I'm constantly getting one tapped by people who randomly turning on bad angles before I can even fire off a single shot? It literally feels like every game there's at least one or two people who like teenagers tweaked out on caffine and adderal trying to break into the pro-scene. Like if I didn't know better I'd say this game is flooded with aimbotters, but Riot has a super invasive anti-cheat system so surely that can't be it.

A lot of the people that care enough to grind out a beta key are the ones that are really into counter strike already, so a big percentage are people with really good aiming. 5% of the time though, I feel like the game is a bit broken because I'll shoot someone in the head point blank before they kill me and it'll tell me I did 0 damage. And probably another 5% is aimbots.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

the big difference I see from that map is a lot more 45 degree angles

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

put orb in choke
then put wall on choke
then put another orb in choke

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

am I the only one who doesn't think the heal is that big of a deal? It doesn't repair armor, which means you will lose a spray fight against a healthy opponent, and head shots kill you pretty much instantly whether you have 20 or 100 hp anyway.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Elman posted:

If you're at 20 hp and there's no Sage in your team the enemy will know they don't need to headshot you and will just shoot you in the chest or even wallbang you knowing any damage will kill you. The moment you add a Sage to the equation that kind of info becomes a lot less reliable and forces your enemy to aim for tougher shots, whether you've actually been healed or not.

She's also invaluable in pistol rounds.

the difference between killing someone at 20hp and 100hp with no armor even with bad body shots is like 500ms or less. I'm certainly not saying the ability is useless because it's definitely not, but surely it's not the part of her kit that makes her op.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

For me so far, every enemy team's top fragger has been Reyna. I'm not drawing any conclusions from this observation yet.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

the stinger should be deleted, what a lovely gun

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean it’s only 1000. Your other options are the deagle, scout or pump shotgun at that price range

I'd rather use a ghost than a stinger, gently caress that gun

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. I play Valorant very casually. I'll only ever play unranked and I'm never going to use a mic nor do I ever want to here your gross nasally nerd voice.

very cool

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Not using a mic, fine. But as far as muting everyone, I just don't see why it can't be on a case by case basis instead of a permanent decision. Most players aren't annoying and use comms to convey (mostly) important info. if you get a game where that isn't true, muting takes literally 2 seconds.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

When is the guardian better than a vandal? Is it just to save 200 bucks? I thought it was maybe for longer range scenarios but I still feel like the vandal is just as good with 1-tap shots.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

The stinger can suck my dick. I'll buy a ghost and save $500 for next round.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

ghost has better recoil/recovery and I also play omen so I like being able to get behind someone and shoot them with a silencer without them knowing what direction the damage is coming from.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

and if I REALLY wanna save, I'll do some cheesy poo poo with the shotgun pistol

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I've grown wary of upgrade orbs ever since it gave me a marshal

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Just watched a sage block a raze ult by putting a wall right in front of the raze, causing the raze to blow herself up and lose the round. REALLY wish this game had replays.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I hate haven the most and I like split and ascent equally.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I double smoke mid as omen at the start of every round and take control of mid no problem and then I never have to deal with snipers

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I love shotguns in this game, on defense at least. The right click on the bucky rules.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

are footsteps a lot quieter in CS? I don't remember having to walk so much back when I played.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I have literally never had a person just scream into their mic at any point and I must have played over a hundred games at this point. Where are you all finding these people?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

So for some weird reason I downloaded Counter-Strike after not playing it for like a decade, kicked a bit of rear end (SBMM I assume), and then I recalled that this had been released. How terrible is it with pubbies? I don't mind playing with goons, but I'm in the eurozone and with my ADHD I have a tendency to want to play a game at random hours of the day.

Pubbies are fine really, but there's a weird amount of 4v5s still

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

craigslist > valorant > missed connections

d0grent fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 2, 2020

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

which training type do you do more, tracking or flicking? I just got kovaaks and I can't tell which one I should focus on more.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

it's the classic 4 head > 3 head > 5 head dillemma

If someone is playing dumb enough, you'll underestimate how much your own play has to change when dealing with them, versus facing another more competent player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Should be first to 10 imo. Really don't like when any game takes 40 min.