Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm in to give it a try if you get 2 others for the 10 player map. Never played Thai one before but I have an android phone at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'll play anything but I'm always partial to the Classic Europe, if I have to vote.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
This looks interesting - count me in if you need someone for one of the larger maps.

EDIT: IGN same as here.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 27, 2020

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Well, we only need 1 more to do North America...

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I'll be interested in watching this, I have an iFruit sadly :negative:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Current count is nine. Let's get one more for the NA map. That one's pretty fun:

Dash "Blind Sally" Rendar
oldskool
circlmastr
Dr. Snark
Danaru
ProfFrink
Enchanted Hat
Retro Futurist
Jossar

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I think at this point (about 2 hours before the expected start time) I'm gonna withdraw unless there's a last minute entry. Joined as something of a whim and i'd rather that the people who are really committed get the chance to get the show on the road rather than sit around waiting for a 10th.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, I was hoping we'd get a last minute sign-up, but hey, it's a bit to commit to. If Jossar is dropping, I assume Retro Futurist is out too. And as Oldskool has been the only vote cast for Classic Europe... Let's do Classic Europe!

Player list is:
Dash "Blind Sally" Rendar
oldskool
circlmastr
Dr. Snark
Danaru
ProfFrink
Enchanted Hat

I'm sending out invites to the game tonight. Once everyone has accepted, the game goes live.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CirclMastr posted:

Sign me up, just downloaded the app and username matches forum name.

believe it or not i struggled a minute to add you because i kept spelling your username wrong.

again.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Invites sent.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
(Waiting on two invites to be accepted...)

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Dash Rendar posted:

believe it or not i struggled a minute to add you because i kept spelling your username wrong.

again.

Well I can at least confirm that I received and accepted a game invite from somebody.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
oh yeah. my username on there is john fastolf. if you accepted that invite youre in.

Game has started!!

Turns are 24 hours. Get your orders in before then. If everyone gets their orders early, a new turn starts. Identities are anonymous in-game.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Lots of nice diplomacy happening. By the Tsar, I think this will be the one game of Diplomacy where everyone stays within their borders, respects the sovereignty of all the minor nations and war in Europe is averted forever!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'd play if I had an Android, though my experience is that the Kaiser tends to be the driving force of the early game in Diplomacy. Germany's the central strategic position, and true to real life basically anything they do - including doing nothing at all - will be seen as threatening by other European powers. Everyone wants you to be their friend, and everyone wants to murder you.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hey, so shall we take some bets so that observing goons can be engaged in the outcome? Prizes can and will be given out for most successful bets. I don't know what that is though. Avatars? Gang tags? We could make Diplomacy gang tags.

I recommend betting on the following:
- Which goon is which nation?
- Which nation will win the game?
- Which nation will be eliminated first?
(Alternately rank which nations you think will come in which places... for points)

Any others?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I like all of those.

Also, how about a running “which country is getting knocked out next”? Immediately after a country gets knocked out, everybody can bet on the next country to be eliminated. Every time you’re right, you get a point, top score at the end wins the category. Might help people keep involved even if your full-game bet on “____ is going to win” flops instantly.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 28, 2020

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Dash Rendar posted:

- Which goon is which nation?

You're not going to tell us this? Are the players just not going to post in the thread at all?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I gotta admit that as a player I don't see the point of hiding which country I'm playing as. We're already on a level of anonymity with the forum names, and it keeps me from shitposting in the thread.

And if you can't shitpost in a Diplomacy game, then what's the drat point!?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Akratic Method posted:

You're not going to tell us this? Are the players just not going to post in the thread at all?

I dunno! Running a Diplomacy app as a let's play is a new thing for me. I threw the anonymity filter on just to add another layer. You're all right though... it'll probably cut down on shitposting in the thread which is actually what I DON'T want. I am preoccupied with family stuff right now but will put together an opening update for tonight.

Sadly, as the anonymity filter is already on, it's up to individual players to reveal their identities. They may choose to keep it anonymous for another level of trickery. That said, I WILL be posting the general chat from the app in here. so shitposting can come from all sides.

I suppose now is as good a time as any to reveal that I am Great Britain. Good luck, all. And may we find peace in our time!

ProfFrink
Nov 7, 2007

"Stun" may be a bit of a misnomer.

Enchanted Hat posted:

respects the sovereignty of all the minor nations
Was I supposed to do this? I may need to change my orders.

E: Turkey here. Delicious turkey

ProfFrink fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 28, 2020

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

MagusofStars posted:

I like all of those.

Also, how about a running “which country is getting knocked out next”? Immediately after a country gets knocked out, everybody can bet on the next country to be eliminated. Every time you’re right, you get a point, top score at the end wins the category. Might help people keep involved even if your full-game bet on “____ is going to win” flops instantly.

This is actually a real good idea. Let's take a running bet on which country gets knocked out next.

So take your bets! Who will be the first nation eliminated?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gonna take a chance and guess France

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
I guess Italy

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Enchanted Hat posted:

Lots of nice diplomacy happening. By the Tsar, I think this will be the one game of Diplomacy where everyone stays within their borders, respects the sovereignty of all the minor nations and war in Europe is averted forever!

Not to worry, my friend, although I appreciate you swearing by me. Russia will be sure to respect the sovereignty of minor nations like Luxembourg and Montenegro.

Hrm? What about the Balkans and Scandinavia? Well I've been told by my beloved advisor Grigori that they apparently don't count! And if you can't trust a man like Rasputin, who can you trust!?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Dr. Snark posted:

I gotta admit that as a player I don't see the point of hiding which country I'm playing as. We're already on a level of anonymity with the forum names, and it keeps me from shitposting in the thread.

And if you can't shitpost in a Diplomacy game, then what's the drat point!?

Some forum-goers know each other better than others, and it could lead to alliances forming based on knowing the player behind the nation rather than the nations themselves.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Jesenjin posted:

I guess Italy

This feels the most likely. And unlike WW1 Italy, I refuse to wait until after the battle progresses to place my bet.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Here's a vote for Germany.

In the few games I've played with friends, they've been an interesting swing pick - either they turn into a juggernaut or get triple-teamed and wiped quickly.

CirclMastr posted:

Some forum-goers know each other better than others, and it could lead to alliances forming based on knowing the player behind the nation rather than the nations themselves.
Just like real-world diplomacy...right up until the country's interest requires stabbing someone you "know" in the back.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
I mean, I assume that we'll post the map images each turn so the entire LP isn't just a black box until someone posts "good news! I won!" And if we're posting maps, I think it'll be more entertaining if people talk about their countries and their situations in the game. The thread will be another layer of intrigue and diplomacy! :ninja:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
^^^
i also figured that would happen. people are free to post whatever they want from chats or maps with scrawls on them... or hell photoshops of chats.

fair game i say!

But for every Spring and Fall round I will post an update for the thread. I am just stuck away from my PC until evening so I can only phone post and diplomacize for the moment.

MagusofStars posted:

Just like real-world diplomacy...right up until the country's interest requires stabbing someone you "know" in the back.

man have I got a story about THAT. I'll write it up for the opening update.

EDIT: well, perhaps a later update. got busy, haha

Sally fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 29, 2020

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Dash Rendar posted:

^^^
i also figured that would happen. people are free to post whatever they want from chats or maps with scrawls on them... or hell photoshops of chats.

fair game i say!

But for every Spring and Fall round I will post an updatr for the thread. I am just stuck away from my PC until evening so I can only phone post and diplomacize for the moment.

man have I got a story about THAT. I'll write it up for the opening update.

how dare you stab me in the opening update

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

oldskool posted:

how dare you stab me in the opening update

how dare you quote my post before i could edit out that spelling mistake!

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

silvergoose posted:

Gonna take a chance and guess France

That was my first choices as well, so instead I'll pick Austria

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I'm guessing England because nobody else has

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
People are aware that more than one person can vote for a particular nation's fall, yah?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I don't want the England player to feel sad and left out!

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012

Dash Rendar posted:

This is actually a real good idea. Let's take a running bet on which country gets knocked out next.

So take your bets! Who will be the first nation eliminated?

At first, I thought that this would turn into an unfair self-fulfilling prophecy, but then I realized that you all can still plot secretly and can even influence these bets as part of the game. :D

So with all that said, Austria will be eliminated first.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I think the app allows people to observe the game if they know the room name (and have the app).

I'm voting for Austria just because.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Yeah, my vote goes to Great Britain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

1234567890num posted:

I think the app allows people to observe the game if they know the room name (and have the app).

oh man, i did not know that! yeah, there's an observed game feature buried in the menu options. (unfortunately, this is a private game--so it isn't showing up in the search).