Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I used to run diplomacy games in LP a while ago. I don't have an android devide but i will be watching this thread with great interest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Austria wins
France is first eliminated
Austria and Germany make a NAP, as does turkey and russia

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dash Rendar posted:

Hmm, question for the thread. As I was quickly tossing up the opening moves, I wondered how much of a run down I should be writing in the update posts. Is it obvious from the board moves what is going on? Is it worth my repeating? Should I offer speculation? Is my speculation worth anything considering I am also in the game and it may all be a clever ploy to further deceive the players in the thread?

Some true moral quandaries are arising...
The main moves are obvious, maybe point out supports, convoys and anything you find interesting.

France and England have a pact afoot, probably along the lines of England leaving France to take spain while england gets norway. Given how italy has moved i feel this is going to be of more benefit to france, who can get a guaranteed +2 supply year one

Not sure what russia is doing, holding two units on turn 1 seems like a mistake, particularly as it left the black sea unoccupied.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

A general tip for diplomacy which i hope all players are following is that you absolutely must be talking to every country,regardless of how irrelevant they seem to you. If you're playong as Britain and you arent talking to turkey, you'll suffer if the french player is coordinating with them.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Did england really just use a fleet to support a fleet into a spot nobody else could contest?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Aagh, that border!!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

As a bare minimum, dash as england will have been talking to France, Russia and germany, on turn 1 he may have backstabbed Russia by making assurances of going for the channel instead of heading for scandinavia. A lot of betrayal won't be seen, and potentially never talked about here.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Peanut Butler posted:

Used to play this in high school, ~20 years ago, probably logged abt 100 games- we would name each game after a historical or news figure afterwards, and the one I remember most clearly is Linda Tripp, in which Russia won by hiding a tape recorder in a walk-in closet we used for conferences

it's way too stressful for me to play these days, lol, I've had a copy of Diplomacy for a long time that's been used like once or twice- but it's rly fun to watch!

e: in my old group, A-H lost the most, France won the most. We'd just almost always crush Austria regardless of who was running it

Russia staying true to "lie to everyone but the gm"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ZiegeDame posted:

Kinda looks like it's between England and Italy to decide who gets to take Brest

I wish i could seize brest

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Alittle risky, but i think Britain will be next out.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Russia its time to attack turkey you coward

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AH next out, then Germany.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

While in my head i think russias probably last out, i suspect that theres one more elimination ahead.

Given that goons are goons, my suspicion is we're in for a spite coalition against the UK, and as such my vote is for the UK to be next out

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Also i saw dash saying he had to burn a unit in a recent post so...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Germany, now is the time to seize edi

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

EDIT: Oh, it might've just been this post by Namtab that got me thinking that way.

Wait did nobody but me read the thread?

Dash Rendar posted:

I suppose now is as good a time as any to reveal that I am Great Britain. Good luck, all. And may we find peace in our time!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yeah its a funny twist imo

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Theres only one rule in diplomacy, dont cheat the gm. And dash is the gm

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I maintain that the joke was funny haha

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The fun tging with a game like this is the meta that springs up among the players as well. For example we found out that dash apparently leaks private messages like a sieve, so now whoever joins the next game will be aware of that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yo dash if you wanted to open the game up to more people and play more of a GM role we used to use https://sourceforge.net/projects/jdip/ back in the day until zorak banned diplomacy lps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dash Rendar posted:

(but why were Diplomacy LPs banned by Zorak? hilarious drama reasons? or was it just to try and move them to TG?)

Being generous about his perspective on an argument i was on the losing side of, i suspect he felt we were doing too many at once (to be fair we probably should have stuck to one thread), there was little audience interactivity outside of recruitment and that overall it belonged in TG.

Oh well, that was the old era of no pokemon pseudohobby lp. All hail the new era.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 18, 2020