Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

HisouTenshi
Dec 15, 2020

Hammer Bro. posted:

Can you at least spoiler which town such quests show up in?

There's also a quest in Wiswald, it may not be until the post-game, where a kid wants to get mushrooms for his sister. The two show up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

HisouTenshi posted:

There's also a quest in Wiswald, it may not be until the post-game, where a kid wants to get mushrooms for his sister. The two show up there.

That showed up immediately in chapter 3 for me

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Butzly Debutz

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Butz, Larry Butz.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Does a character's main job at level up affect stat gains? My Adelle does like 50 percent more damage than my Seth with same gear and had a lot more Physical Attack in the stat screen but I'm not sure why.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

PageMaster posted:

Does a character's main job at level up affect stat gains? My Adelle does like 50 percent more damage than my Seth with same gear and had a lot more Physical Attack in the stat screen but I'm not sure why.

Nope. All base character stats are equal. If you feed buns to a character, their base stats increase. Odds are there's some wonkiness with an ability or something.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Srice posted:

[quest spoiler]

I just wrapped up with that town according to the main plot and I even think I found the mansion that you're talking about; it seemed like a cool set piece though I was already higher level than the enemies.

Pretty sure I'd talked to everyone in the town but clearly somehow I missed that one. Thanks!

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
What exactly are these games?

Are they final fantasy but called something else?

I'm intrigued, but I bought dragon quest whatever and just put it down, so I'm hestitant.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just finished what I assume were the end of chapter 1 bosses and after a bunch of lame asterisk fights I thought these were actually really solid. There was even some fun uses of counters!

I can’t remember if Bernard had the same gimmick in the demo of stealing bp whenever you default but it was pretty successful at forcing me to change strategies and it wasn’t anywhere near as frustrating as like the Barf countering white magic with putting your healer to sleep. It also helps that the fight seemed to be built around the idea you’d be at a bp disadvantage since his damage and health was only average. The next fight was a lot simpler but I had to use a lot of tricks to stay on top of the incoming damage and unlike previous fights it felt appropriate that I had to have a character focus entirely on healing.

Hope future bosses are more like this because after Shirley I was beginning to think the asterisk fights kinda sucked.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oswald ownenstein posted:

I'm intrigued, but I bought dragon quest whatever and just put it down, so I'm hestitant.

They're sort of like spiritual successors to Final Fantasy V specifically. They share things like job and spell names but have some twists that make Bravely something a little different from FF, but still familiar.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

The big thing they have is a combination of a pretty deep job system (there are a lot of jobs in this game, each of which has ~12 abilities, some of which are passive and some of which are active, and you can choose any 5 passives + 2 sets of active abilities) and a really neat action economy system. To put it quickly, you can bank extra turns by defending (which makes defending an interesting choice at times), and you can spend extra turns to take up to four actions at once. You can even borrow against future actions by spending yourself from 0 down to -3 at the start of a fight. Some abilities even cost extra actions to activate, and there are other abilities that will grant extra actions under certain conditions.

There's a lot of interesting design space and play space that opens up with the combination of the jobs and the action economy, and the game is not afraid to let you break it wide open.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The precursor to Bravely Default was a Final Fantasy spinoff (Four Heroes of Light) so it's basically like a modern take on old Final Fantasy games. FF5 specifically.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Andrast posted:

Nope, identical stats this time around

(unless you have fed them those permanent stat boosts)

They scale differently with what job they have when they level up, don't they?
Most of the stat boosts I've gotten have been defensive or JP/EXP orbs, I can't come up with a reason otherwise why he does way less damage than everyone else across the board.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

raditts posted:

Most of the stat boosts I've gotten have been defensive or JP/EXP orbs, I can't come up with a reason otherwise why he does way less damage than everyone else across the board.

Jobs modify base stats. All base stats are always equal across all characters unless you modify them with buns.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

raditts posted:

Also, every job has its own weapon affinity ranks (the letter next to the weapon types when selecting gears), going from E (worst) to S (best). Stat gains from weapons/shields will scale depending on affinity.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

(mild end of Chapter 1 spoilers)

Btw I saw someone mention not seeing the first two Asterisk holders again, but they just showed in a side quest that appears in Savalon after finishing the main plot there.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I wanna play this but I decided to brush off my 3DS and picked up BD1 instead

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So now that I'm in Chapter 3 an overall idea for something that's hilariously dumb and memey.

Spoilers for a Chapter 2 job and potentially strategies you might come up with yourself.

Vanguard 11 can donate BP as an ability. Pictomancer 9 has a passive that reduces the BP cost of actions on a sub job by 1. So any job subbed with Vanguard gets to donate BP with this passive at a 1 to 1 ratio.

The rate at which you get actions and therefore BP is determined by your speed and weight.

So equip a thief with thunder talismans/wind talismans to minimise weight and maximise speed. Remove all weapons from the thief and equip him with the most mitigation from armour you can manage. Your thief will have near 15 weight points or so below cap and a speed that's ungodly fast, we're talking 100+.

Your thief will get turns faster than basically anything. Spam default until you max its BP at which point you donate your BP stash to whoever needs it.

The really mad part is that your thief can still deal crazy damage on his own because of godspeed strike effectively being maxed out with this build.

It is really quite dumb and just insanely powerful in the context of the action economy in this game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Natural 20 posted:

Vanguard 11 can donate BP as an ability. Pictomancer 9 has a passive that reduces the BP cost of actions on a sub job by 1. So any job subbed with Vanguard gets to donate BP with this passive at a 1 to 1 ratio.

Oh boy that is not even close to the dumbest thing you can get away with that combo. :allears:

(Chapter 2 job spoilers) Shieldmaster's second passive says that every time they successfully block an attack for an ally, they get 1 BP. Now sub Vanguard onto Shieldmaster, keep the rest of the party at critical HP, and...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Just finished the Beastmaster asterisk, first non-worldboss fight in the game that wiped me (twice, even!) before I could clear it. Playing on Hard mode. Good fight. Very pleased with the challenge.

Gloria dragged the team across the finish line with like 50 hp remaining and everyone else dead (and missing out on the huge XP/JP bonuses :() as the final poison tick kicked in and took down the asterisk.

https://twitter.com/agent_kincaid/status/1367298975624089600

Have loading times been an issue for anyone else? I'm playing on a physical cartridge and I'm not sure whether I should move the game to internal memory or something. It takes about 10-12 seconds to load into a city or overworld zone. Going from Savalon to Halcyonia via caravan takes 30-40 seconds total of loading. It takes about 3-4 seconds of blackscreen to get in and out of fights. The game is pretty great but the constant blackscreens/loadscreens are really wearing on my patience.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Do people recommend this game so far?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yusin posted:

It is...

good

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

SKULL.GIF posted:

Just finished the Beastmaster asterisk, first non-worldboss fight in the game that wiped me (twice, even!) before I could clear it. Playing on Hard mode. Good fight. Very pleased with the challenge.

Gloria dragged the team across the finish line with like 50 hp remaining and everyone else dead (and missing out on the huge XP/JP bonuses :() as the final poison tick kicked in and took down the asterisk.

https://twitter.com/agent_kincaid/status/1367298975624089600

Have loading times been an issue for anyone else? I'm playing on a physical cartridge and I'm not sure whether I should move the game to internal memory or something. It takes about 10-12 seconds to load into a city or overworld zone. Going from Savalon to Halcyonia via caravan takes 30-40 seconds total of loading. It takes about 3-4 seconds of blackscreen to get in and out of fights. The game is pretty great but the constant blackscreens/loadscreens are really wearing on my patience.

Load times are not noticeable to me on digital so yeah this sounds bad

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
gently caress, Late Bloomer from Freelancer starts to really add up after a while. It's got twice the base magic attack of black mage at around 5 or so jobs mastered and Bare Knuckle Brawler starts to really kick that physical attack score into overdrive.

Still, haven't actually hit level 40 yet, so maybe it's just getting flat bonuses that won't scale as well as the levels keep rising?

Caidin fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 4, 2021

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question regarding chapter 2 and the three paths it seemingly presents. The game asked who I wanted to go after first with Roddy and Lily and I chose Roddy- literally every fight I went through was giving me the underdog bonus and things were hitting me for 700+ damage easy, I only mitigated it due to Gloria as a white mage overhealing everyone and having enough boons to never run out of MP but uh, is this just a level check or was I supposed to do him second?

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question regarding chapter 2 and the three paths it seemingly presents. The game asked who I wanted to go after first with Roddy and Lily and I chose Roddy- literally every fight I went through was giving me the underdog bonus and things were hitting me for 700+ damage easy, I only mitigated it due to Gloria as a white mage overhealing everyone and having enough boons to never run out of MP but uh, is this just a level check or was I supposed to do him second?

You can do either path, going after Lily would just have you getting blown up by plants casting Banish on you for 600-1k damage. Though all the fights have light as a weakness so it is kinda a good idea to do the forest first if you use Beastmaster

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

For what it's worth, i picked the forest first, got obliterated by said plants and thought maybe going after him would be easier. Turns out the path to the sewers that you have to take get blocked off by people at some point! I had made it all the way up to Lily and triggered the pre "walk up to her again to start the fight" cutscene so it might be right at that particular instance to make sure you stick around to fully get the asterisk or something

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Man, the late- and endgame takes the gloves off and slaps you around with them. :catstare:

So you know how all the tooltips talk about "level 12 or higher" in regards to jobs? (late/postgame spoilers) Yeah so to get past level 12 you gotta fight for the privilege in challenge asterisk boss fights and hot holy poo poo one of them is a utter redefinition of the word "sustain". It's White Mage, Red Mage, Vanguard, and Ranger all with their level 15 job skills. Since White Mage's is loving arise all, they have to die first, but you spend so much of the fight provoked onto the Vanguard while the White and Red Mages just pour out healing constantly.

I must be underleveled or something because the fight took a loving hour.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Has anyone been having problems with the game crashing after resuming from sleep mode? Happened to me twice in the past 12 hours and I've gotten a bit miffed about it, especially since the second crash happened overnight so I wasn't able to wake up to a lot of boat loot :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yusin posted:

i can't speak on behalf of People but for my own sake, absolutely

i went into the game expecting to be disappointed (but still enjoy the job system and music) after the demos, but so far it's nothing like i thought and way better in every way. characters own, jobs own, story owns, music owns, game owns

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Still in Chapter 1 because I'm slow, doing the dungeon where I assume I'll get Beastmaster and found an alcove in the overworld with a rare monster I could actually beat. Got a Defender and now my Vanguard's making GBS threads out great damage. Same with my Monk now that she got those Power Bracers.

Difficulty's been just right so far (playing Hard) but I also haven't gotten to the bullshit stuff yet. Enjoying it so far!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Where did you get power bracers. I got that defender last night but haven't seen power bracers

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Where did you get power bracers. I got that defender last night but haven't seen power bracers

Chapter 3 town sells them, and the ogres out in the swamp in chapter 2's area has them as a rare steal.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yusin posted:

Eh...

It makes me deeply wish that anything about its aesthetic or story was remotely interesting it's like intentionally white noise so far.

The battle theme is good though

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Game is worth is solely based on Elvis’s accent IMO, I could listen to him refer to cats as Moggy-Woggies all day

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Caidin posted:

Chapter 3 town sells them, and the ogres out in the swamp in chapter 2's area has them as a rare steal.

Mega64 says they are still in Chapter 1 and got them though

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Mega64 says they are still in Chapter 1 and got them though

I think I got mine from the dungeon under the town when there is that path that opens up back to the over world. There was a rare snake enemy and behind it was a chest that contained the accessory.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah that's the monster with the defender. The chest was a different set of bracers good for healers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

IIRC There's two sets of Bracers there. One is hidden in the trees.