Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm only getting started, but I have some reservations about the way information is presented to you in the equipment menus and all

the text for the tooltip when your cursor is on a piece of equipment is far too small and really packed together in a way that defeats easy reading, and then you can't see a character's full attributes until you actually select an item

in the same way, when you're on the Abilities screen, the only indication of whose abilities you're messing with is their name in small font in the bottom right corner, as well as a few pixels high picture of their head

there's lots of little steps back in this way. I'm still hype for it, the Bravely series was basically created in a lab to appeal to me, but this kind of throws me off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

tithin posted:

Is BD2 good? BD1 on the 3ds had issues with the endgame dragging, and I heard a lot of complaints that BD2 was bad from a gameplay perspective

also heard chuds complaining about stuff, but I wrote that off because I don't give a gently caress about ~censorship~

e: oh wait, is this *not* a remake of BD2 for the 3ds and is a whole new game?

that game wasn't BD2, but Bravely Second, and it was good

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

RunawayPantleg posted:

That....feels like a significant change to the fundamental way the battle system plays out. I think you could also set up pre-arranged attack rotations for clearing out trash fights if you didn't want to turn off enemy encounters. No enemy slider combined with inability to do a pre-loaded attack rotation and on field enemies is going to make dungeon crawling a slog. Hoping this is still an early representation of the game

yeah, I realized at one point that I didn't have the advantage I was used to with the previous games because I couldn't manage the fight as easily by how much BP everyone had

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I would guess that you don't learn spells by leveling up jobs in the real game, that'd be a huge step back from the previous games

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I wrote about my concerns early on but I'm not that worried about the full game because I get the idea from the demo that this is probably really early in development

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

as long as they fixed the weird menu design, I'm happy

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it just seems wrong that you don't choose everybody's moves all at once anymore

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

complaining about cutscenes at the beginning of the game is goofy, it's like fifteen minutes before you can pull up a main menu

also I started with a fish in my inventory that mentions luring aquatic monsters into "continuous battle," so it seems maybe there's something like there was in Bravely Second after all?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Tatsuta Age posted:

How much does being overloaded matter? Just a speed penalty or something?

it tanks a lot of your stats, it looks like they really wanted to make each job have its own identity in terms of equipment

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Jackard posted:

How linear is the storyline? Did that reviewer from earlier make a mistake?

even having just beat the first dungeon, I'm anticipating that all is not as it seems with this "collect the four crystals" setup

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

friends, I encountered what the game called a rare and difficult monster and I said, well I'm sure it's not that bad

it had 52,008 HP and cast Blizzaga on my party

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

PageMaster posted:

Where do you get these? That first fight is a horrendously unfun slog where I can't kill them but they can't kill me and I have to reset the game to get out and I'd love to just be past them so I can play the rest of the game.

I've only just finished the prologue, but I've gotten many from side quests, the boat, and I bet I've dug some up with Forage

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Ethiser posted:

I'm up to that boss that the reviewer was complaining about earlier in the thread and I think they were right. There is a boss that is immune to all physical damage and can only be damaged by purely elemental attacks. I'm stuck in a long battle of attrition where I'll eventually win because my characters all regenerates MP, but it is going to take awhile. I hope I'm just being a huge idiot here, because this seems like a very poorly designed encounter.

elemental magic damage or can you use elemental physical attacks? I know the Vanguard can pop people with earth damage

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I wish the ship was a menu option and not something I need to travel to the first town every morning to get my stuff.

she's in Savalon, as well, so I assume she's in other towns

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

PageMaster posted:

What are your early game damage dealers? For bosses it basically comes down to apply poison and survive with me, but after a certain point they can't kill me but I'm hammering out fractions of the poison damage with my other classes. Vanguard does ok thanks to a strong weapon drop, but my monk feels feels incredibly weak, even with the unarmed perks, and my mage/bard is stuck on defense buffs and I feel a little unequipped with no way to buff damage or debuff enemy defense.

Black Mage has been mediocre for me as I near the end of Chapter 1 but Monk's abilities do great damage if you level it up. Firebird, Qipong Wave, and the heeldrop move all do great damage in exchange for health

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I understand if it's just me but I'm kind of glad there isn't a map to pull up during a dungeon because I definitely used to just watch the map screen instead of the game screen as I ran around dungeons. now I have to actually engage with the dungeon

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I keep mousing over spoilers for the early desert zone since I'm past it and see people talking about the Gambler job, did I manage to miss a sidequest that gives you a job?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yes, if you know the job name you have a good idea of where to look for it.

yeah, I'll check it out when I play later, I know where it must be, I'm just surprised. I'd even been a "pshh, they don't hide sidequests that bad" guy

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

When is this available? I just got the beastmaster job. I would expect the quest to learn this one would be where I would expect it to be but I've seen no quests in there yet.

I would wager it's available when your party is ready to move on to the next town

e: I'm wrong as hell, boy

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

do u believe in marigolds posted:

You don't have to play too many matches of the card game if it isn't your thing and even after I've gotten the Asterisk I still haven't had anyone level in it.

buddy I am all in on card games. no problems here

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

Finished off the true ending just shy of 40 hours on the clock.

I have 25 hours already and I'm on my way to last boss of Chapter 2

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Russad posted:

Sorry if this has been answered, but I checked the last few pages and didn't see it. Is there a way to see a count of how many monsters you've captured?

other than in battle, hitting Off the Leash? not that I know of

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

lot of people itt discovering they only like or are accustomed to easy RPGs

I'm playing on hard mode and the enemies in every dungeon as I leave it are red and angry. don't grind

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Andrast posted:

i don't think the difficulty has much to do with the dungeons being too long

sounds like you're talking about something different to what I'm talking about, but that's okay

the dungeons aren't too long, they give you ample teleport pads, teleport stones, and ward lights. you could cruise past most enemies in your way if you so choose. hell, you can set your game down and walk away from it if you've been doing one gameplay segment for too long. take a break!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the dungeons in BD1 didn't feel great because you'd end up running through them with the encounters off and not even looking at the actual dungeon, you were looking at your map, which ends up feeling wack. it's good they put the map away

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's more fun to get to know a dungeon and remember which way to go than steering around while looking at your map, which would get you owned in this game because an enemy would come bop you while you're not looking where you're going

e: I am hardcore. thank you, Captain Monkey

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

stev posted:

I don't think the dungeons are particularly long, they're just quite boring to go through and don't have interesting enough layouts to bother learning.

I think that's more fair to say, although I've been enjoying seeing how they connect with other locations in the world, like (Chapter 2) the sewers dungeon having a midpoint break at the Institute, and then connecting to the research labs. it's neat!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

When you all talk about Berserker/Monk you mean a Berserker with Monk as the sub job and bare-knuckle brawler? Or do you keep a weapon on them?

go with whatever has the higher attack power for you, axes get better after a point and there is an ability that makes weapon use better later as well

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Ragequit posted:

For me axes were slightly more damaging, but bare handed my characters are getting turns twice as fast. They act first, go negative BP with Pressure Point, and still get another turn before everyone else most of the time. Absolutely bonkers.

if you're going BP negative, you have yet to fully unlock the power of Monkzerker...

but honestly as of beginning Chapter 4, I've dropped Monk because Amped Strike and Leveled Slash is crushing with Bard buffs

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

For sailing, have you guys been able to "meet" actual players? I keep getting players named Bravely, Default, etc, with Seths named "A. N. Other" and such.

I have a Nintendo Online membership and the first time I went out sailing I was encountering real players, not defaults.

I had given the game permission to go online during expeditions, but I discovered in my settings that it was actually set to Off. go check and see what yours is set on right now

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm mid-Chapter 4, but I love the (job combo spoilers) combination of Shieldmaster and Swordmaster I've put together, where Adelle can tank hits for everyone with Defender of the People, gain BP, and then on subsequent turns pops Fluid Stance and then Fluid Left to counterattack and take a BP away from the attacker. I've locked down the two occupying commanders I've fought so far in Halcyonia and Savalon this way

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

shameful people not naming their protag

he has a name and it's Seth

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Impermanent posted:

after a certain point, if you've put any thought into your party's build at all, the only way bosses have any chance of actually using an ability is through counters giving them free bp or whatever, and the counterattacks can be auto-avoided, so i don't know what the people complaining about counters are saying other than "i don't know how to play this game."

Which is not to say that we couldn't have benefited from a little more transparency. i'd rather have a list of counters from bosses upon using a magnifying glass / survey instead of just guess and checking.

one of my few complaints is that I wish the info screen on enemies at least told you what kinds of damage they're resistant to or which they absorb

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

everyone stop right now, because I've realized something and I might be a huge dumbass

I turned my Switch back on and was greeted with messages along the top of my screen describing exploration rewards, while not on the exploration screen

you can just turn the mode on at a boat place and then leave and it'll run whenever you do put your Switch on sleep mode, I think

I had definitely thought you had to hit the grandma up every time you were done playing

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wtf. I just got to chapter 2 last night and my Google feed sent me this today. I didn't Google anything about it or say anything out loud.

but could your phone have heard the game

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

realizing I straight up skipped Salvemaker and the town you get it in. I just beat (Chapter 4 end) Adam

are there more than two optional jobs in the first part of the game?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Only 2 optional jobs. The latter of which is the one you're talking about.

okay, great. not sure how I missed the place given I was scouring for chests

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Question about Shieldmaster. What's the point of reprisal? Enemies do like 5 damage a hit to them so far. I mean I'm halfway through chapter 3 and my shield master cannot take damage so reflecting half of that 14 damage back doesn't seem good.

it's for wheedling bosses down as you use Defender of the People

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

The story isn't as strong as BD1 and a quest log would be very much appreciated, but otherwise I really like it. The cast grew on me really quickly, too.

It definitely does things differently than Default/Second but that's not in itself a bad thing. It's a lot easier to max out a job very shortly after getting it this time, and the level 12 specialty every job has also seems to encourage you to continue using mastered jobs because some of them are really strong. That particular dynamic ends up making me really want to take a bit to grind up new jobs whenever I get them, rather than just continuing on with the story and leveling jobs naturally as I go through dungeons. I can understand someone else feeling that way and not liking it, but I haven't really minded it, so it's not really a negative for me.

I hope if there's anything everyone can agree on, it's how good the JP curve is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the specialities are very powerful, and adds complexity to building your party for bosses, I'm into it. it feels great when you realize cross-class synergies, such as Swordmaster's second speciality enables the subjob's specialities when you're dualwielding, so now I've got a dualwielding Swordmaster/Berserker who's much faster and whose Level Slash pierces Default and has Full Force behind it. it also feels hard for me to complain about the JP required for level 12 when it's ~1900 and I gain 75 JP a fight in Chapter 5-- I don't even have the Freelancer's JP increasing abilities. that's just a dungeon's worth of fighting, never mind the JP items you get from exploring.