Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The dumbest counter I’ve seen so far was the snakey boi in the Beastmaster fight countering singing. Like bro, for real? I just braved three times to use singing skills and now my bard is dead, cool.

Then again I had a cat once who loving hated singing, when we would sing happy birthday he would come into the room and yowl loudly and then bite people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008

Impermanent posted:

You need a hidden puzzle piece to make this work:

lite spoiler:

An important sidequest in a side town in the third chapter area hides an important job for enabling casting over a long period of time. note that i didn't say "big" magical dps. just sustained. this will change though!

lite spoiler 2:

in the mean time get the status-conscious skill on your caster and use RDM/BLM to drown your enemies in status effects.

lite spoiler 3, early-mid ch 3:

the job you get in the cave has a very useful power for an AoE focused mage...

heavy spoiler:

use the new job's abilities with ethers ensures that your MP problems are solved... but the big brain play is to combine its ability with the thief related ability to do big number damage in fights with the compound ability.

end of chapter 3 spoiler:

the oracle job gives you ways to dramatically magnify the damage you can do with spells while also giving you a huge discount on them, allowing you to basically cast BLM and RDM spells endlessly with no real drawback on enemies you may have double-weakened to the element. (and also lets you add that damage to your physical attacker) that's a spicy damage meatball.

Thanks for this post, are you saying that Salve maker's damage is boosted by thief's item damage amp? It sounds like i need to just push through and get to the end of the chapter. Right now, I have my mage double fisting rods of fire or ice depending on the situation, which has been a decent bandaid so far. Red mage felt really mediocre even with the second specialty but maybe status-conscious helps out with this.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The sheer amount of counters bosses and their friends have are ridiculous, I agree. It might not be so terrible if they triggered less often or even if when you examined the enemies their counters showed up as part of the info.

Also the card game is really good and it has pretty good music, too. Does any one know what kind of prizes you can get for collecting a lot of cards? I’m not going to sink too much time into it if there isn’t a good reward later on.

You get an accessory for getting all the cards

It boosts JP/pg by the number of games played.I don't know the factor it multiplies by

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

The Shame Boy posted:

I think the worst kind of counter is "Counter: Any Ability" and it just gives the boss a free BP point. Considering the most damage they will do at any time is when they decide to Default up a bunch of unleash hell on your party. In normal circumstances you can see it coming since they will just stop everything and start defaulting a bunch in a row.If you happen to get unlucky and they get that counter a bunch on a row as you're struggling to raise and heal for example though? All that effort will be down the drain as they suddenly go ham on you.

I know half the strategy in these boss fights now is figuring out a way to get around/minimize the impact of the counters the bosses have. But when the counter just gives them extra turns for trying to do anything to help yourself, what exactly is the strategy other than hope it doesn't proc to many times?

There are quite a few abilities that allow you to reduce an enemies BP.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I don't know why they would include chain battles for leveling and then make it so frustrating to actually set any up with more than a couple enemies at once. Trying to wrangle enemies together is a nightmare, and then when you use your food you end up pulling something just far enough away from the group wasting all your effort.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There are also some mushroom enemies in a story required dungeon in Chapter 2 and if you have gambler's rare drop up on all your characters they drop magic attack up buns very consistently. :getin:

As a heads up, most random enemies have buns as either their rare drop or their rare steal. Running through the game with rare drop increases and some AOE stealing ends up netting you massive amounts of stat increases of various types.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Any benefit of having Nintendo Online for this?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wow Godspeed Strike is obscenely powerful, I almost singlehandedly destroyed the Archer asterisk with one character by doing a Brave x4 of it.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Any benefit of having Nintendo Online for this?

There's an online component that works while you have the game in sleep mode that randomly grants you permanent stat boosting items(which also works offline, but supposedly doesn't grant you as much loot), but that's it so far, they don't seem to have carried over Abilink or any of the other idle minigames from Bravely Default/Second, sadly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PageMaster posted:

I don't know why they would include chain battles for leveling and then make it so frustrating to actually set any up with more than a couple enemies at once. Trying to wrangle enemies together is a nightmare, and then when you use your food you end up pulling something just far enough away from the group wasting all your effort.

The secret is to chase weak enemies into a corner then pop the item. Still seems like you need 7+ enemies to get 10 fights even at night which is annoying.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

How do you even have that much mana?

I can usually only Godspeed Strike twice, maybe three times, a-fore I'm out.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay I am officially over how ridiculously long these dungeons are.

Dungeons should not take more than two loving hours to do. There is absolutely no excuse for poo poo like this, you could literally cut two thirds out of these things and achieve the same result. I've spent an hour and a half wandering through identikit corridors with no minimap and it's just not fun.

Maybe, maybe your final dungeon takes that long, but these things are the size of Persona 5 palaces but a tenth as interesting and there are four times as many of them.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Evil Fluffy posted:

The secret is to chase weak enemies into a corner then pop the item. Still seems like you need 7+ enemies to get 10 fights even at night which is annoying.

That's what lure food is for. Corral people into the corner, then pop a lure food and go off.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

Okay I am officially over how ridiculously long these dungeons are.

Dungeons should not take more than two loving hours to do. There is absolutely no excuse for poo poo like this, you could literally cut two thirds out of these things and achieve the same result. I've spent an hour and a half wandering through identikit corridors with no minimap and it's just not fun.

Maybe, maybe your final dungeon takes that long, but these things are the size of Persona 5 palaces but a tenth as interesting and there are four times as many of them.

what dungeons are you referring to? i've sped through all of them in like, 30 minutes so far

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Just entered the cave dungeon in chapter 1 and man I would loving kill for a loving minimap

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man the rewards for slogging through that mansion in chapter 1 are nonexistent.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Chapter 3 ice cave 1, chapter 3 pit and chapter 3 tower are the most recent offenders.

Edit: Chapter 3 tower, I started at 5pm my time and finished the play session at 7pm and I've hit the halfway warp. It's absolutely mad.

Others include Chapter 1 cave, Chapter 2 sewer.

All of these have clocked in at well above two hours, playing on hard and fighting everything, no grinding.

Additionally the levelling curve is completely hosed because I fight everything and skip nothing and I've been in constant underdog since the beginning of Chapter 3.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 5, 2021

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Oh my loving god I somehow just got turned around in this cave dungeon and undid about a third of my progress because there's no loving minimap to help me keep track of side paths aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

edit: okay I wasn't set back as far as I thought, especially since I can just run past enemies, but still: minimaps. they're good. I would like them

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 5, 2021

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Finished off the true ending just shy of 40 hours on the clock. What a game. :allears: The shenanigans you can get up to with the endgame's features are just delightful.

Natural 20 posted:

Additionally the levelling curve is completely hosed because I fight everything and skip nothing and I've been in constant underdog since the beginning of Chapter 3.

That really doesn't change, but that's also really superfluous because a good team steamrolls regardless.

Also, consider just... not fighting poo poo. :v: Most of the enemies are not that hard to avoid.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hammer Bro. posted:

How do you even have that much mana?

I can usually only Godspeed Strike twice, maybe three times, a-fore I'm out.

Some accessories (and maybe other gear as well, I'm not sure) gives you a ton of MP, plus one of the job abilities makes you use 20% less MP.
Otherwise toss an ether in there somewhere as one of your actions.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

Finished off the true ending just shy of 40 hours on the clock. What a game. :allears: The shenanigans you can get up to with the endgame's features are just delightful.

I've been going around doing all the sidequests, identifying / trying to catch every monster, and trying to find treasure chests whenever possible and I'm at like 20 hours halfway through chapter 2, somehow. I guess that's how I'm mudstomping all the bosses so far that people ITT are having lots of trouble with.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Kyrosiris posted:

That really doesn't change, but that's also really superfluous because a good team steamrolls regardless.

Also, consider just... not fighting poo poo. :v: Most of the enemies are not that hard to avoid.

Chapter 3 tower is a set of extremely narrow corridors with enemies that hurl themselves at you faster than your movespeed. It's very difficult to avoid them.

A good team can smash but at this point everything is a 3000+ HP sponge. They survive a free BP punch so every combat takes a minimum of two rounds.

I'd love to just skip everything at this point but I have no idea if that's going to get me to a breakpoint where I'm hosed on bosses.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kyrosiris posted:

Finished off the true ending just shy of 40 hours on the clock.

40 hours?! I'm nearing 15 hours and I'm still in chapter 1.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I'm working on Chapter 4 stuff and I'm trying to do all the side quests I can (the Jormungandr one is out of my level 61 range) and completely clear every area of treasure chests (I've had to look up a guide for some chests, especially one specific dungeon) and I'm at almost 58 hours. I'm also on vacation this week and I've basically only been playing this game.

By the way, how many endings are there?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

do u believe in marigolds posted:

I'm working on Chapter 4 stuff and I'm trying to do all the side quests I can (the Jormungandr one is out of my level 61 range) and completely clear every area of treasure chests (I've had to look up a guide for some chests, especially one specific dungeon) and I'm at almost 58 hours. I'm also on vacation this week and I've basically only been playing this game.

By the way, how many endings are there?

3, and they need to be obtained in order

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was just trying to get a list of the names of the stats in this game without leaving my desk, but searching that has proved difficult. Everything seems to talk about jobs and abilities and there are a lot of top ten lists.

Including Top 10 Classes for Elvis, where they talk about his jawline and what roles he'd be good at. They spend a whole bunch of words saying how his base stats complement the caster oriented classes and how he does better this-and-that than the other party members.

We've confirmed that all the party members have identical base stats, yeah? And that that article is fake news spun from whole cloth, right?

Except for the jawline bits.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Farg posted:

3, and they need to be obtained in order

Does that include Seth refusing the wind crystal?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

We've confirmed that all the party members have identical base stats, yeah? And that that article is fake news spun from whole cloth, right?

Almost every article like that on the super search-optimized sites is complete bullshit cranked out just to get something out there on Google for people to click on, yeah. That's true for nearly every even moderately-known game that comes out.

AFAIK the characters have identical base stats so the only real "which character gets which job" thing to consider is how much you like how they look as that job.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

do u believe in marigolds posted:

Does that include Seth refusing the wind crystal?

no

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I was kind of tolerating the Counter: All Abilities until that last Chapter 3 boss who just destroys you for nuking him.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

Finished off the true ending just shy of 40 hours on the clock.

I have 25 hours already and I'm on my way to last boss of Chapter 2

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm kind of just laughing now at how skewed the action economy is towards your enemies. I'm in chapter 6 and I'm pretty sure the bosses are getting like four turns to every one that my slower characters get. Though that is mainly due to the fact that everything has Counter: All Abilities which just gives them free BP.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Who are you people who speedrun rpgs lol

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
In the first Bravely Default game, I remember relying heavily on a team strategy that involved Salvemaker compounding items and some kind of self-poison gimmick that gave the team a ton of BP every round.

I'm hoping there's some gamebreaking combos to build a team around in this game, but I'm only just reaching Chapter 3 now.

When is Rank A possible in the B&D game? Seems to be locked by the storyline to some extent.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The pro-strat in Bravely Default was to equip that Red Mage(?) ability that gave a character 1 BP when they were afflicted by a negative status then having a Red Mage cast Poison on your whole party three times then Esuna to remove it. Then you could endlessly spam that Pirate attack that did 4x damage or Godspeed Strike or whatever.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The pro-strat in Bravely Default was to equip that Red Mage(?) ability that gave a character 1 BP when they were afflicted by a negative status then having a Red Mage cast Poison on your whole party three times then Esuna to remove it. Then you could endlessly spam that Pirate attack that did 4x damage or Godspeed Strike or whatever.

In BD1 it was a Red Mage sub Time Mage who would poison your entire party two to three times for BP and then Esuna or Reraise based on what you needed more.

In BD2 it was using chef to spam your team with poison pies and then using the custom special system to generate more BP when you ran close to a BP deficit.

But both of them had alternatives in the form of Performer/Mimic and Haste World/Spiritmaster.

Here I've found one major battery strat so far with two permutations to it.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

yeah you don't need to care like...at all about whether or not enemies are red. For the most part you can just steamroll enemies multiple levels above you with a decent team. Alternately if you want to speed through a dungeon really fast you can just use a few of the lure items and you'll quickly get 2-3 levels ahead of the current dungeon and can then ignore all enemies.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm in chapter 3 and the cave sure is a thing huh.

Also what level are you supposed to be. I popped out into the land at level 28 and everything is spicy hot. It wasn't until I got to the cave boss (at 31) that things were 'normal' and that seems kinda bonkers.

Also that boss was also really easy thank you godspeed strike ilu

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Bravely 1 monk sub red mage with natural talent and phantom weapon lets you drop damage capped tier 1 black magic. Well bye

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

berserker with the no cost skills while raging passive is just bonkers af

Seth is mowing down bosses and random encounters single-handedly while the rest of the party durdles doing whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Speaking of berserker hot drat does the boss hit like a shitton of bricks.

I know you can dispel his berserk with one of the freelancer skills but holy gently caress at everything else. Holy gently caress at his counters.