Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Due to chronic lack of time I'm still really early in the game having just rescued Gloria. I've already decided to grind out Freelancer on everyone while Sir Sloan is still with the party, but should I also grind out the first job sets (Black Mage/White Mage/Vanguard/?) on at least one character? I assume I'll want those maxed out at some point, but I'm not sure how much opportunity there is to do that before I'll want to grind out the next set of jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Due to chronic lack of time I'm still really early in the game having just rescued Gloria. I've already decided to grind out Freelancer on everyone while Sir Sloan is still with the party, but should I also grind out the first job sets (Black Mage/White Mage/Vanguard/?) on at least one character? I assume I'll want those maxed out at some point, but I'm not sure how much opportunity there is to do that before I'll want to grind out the next set of jobs.

Unless you really love to grind you might as well just keep going through the game since you'll have more efficient ways to grind later on.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kyrosiris posted:

Man, the late- and endgame takes the gloves off and slaps you around with them. :catstare:

So you know how all the tooltips talk about "level 12 or higher" in regards to jobs? (late/postgame spoilers) Yeah so to get past level 12 you gotta fight for the privilege in challenge asterisk boss fights and hot holy poo poo one of them is a utter redefinition of the word "sustain". It's White Mage, Red Mage, Vanguard, and Ranger all with their level 15 job skills. Since White Mage's is loving arise all, they have to die first, but you spend so much of the fight provoked onto the Vanguard while the White and Red Mages just pour out healing constantly.

I must be underleveled or something because the fight took a loving hour.

Can't Freelancer clear provoke with that reset ability what the name I forget?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Huh, the card game is more fun than I thought. I usually don't get on with them.

Is Shirley difficult enough that I should earn the best available cards and come back later for her or can I just dive right in as soon as the option's there?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ytlaya posted:

Btw I saw someone mention not seeing the first two Asterisk holders again

People clued me on on what I missed. I'm glad they did; it was charming.

Caidin posted:

There seems to be this whole game spanning card game thing to do to get it but so many people seem to have gotten it right away that I guess you can just grind points off c rank players loitering around the first two towns until you can play for that job?

I think you just have to play one of each person in the same room you learn about it. The dialogue basically told me to do so, then I immediately got a quest. Played maybe 5 matches before I got the outfit.

And now I'm on a bender. Gotta catch 'em all.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It also won’t automatically activate an inactive quest when you complete an active one which is bad design IMO

I did not even realize quests could go inactive. That would explain a bit about their irregular behavior.

Ugh, menus.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

stev posted:

Huh, the card game is more fun than I thought. I usually don't get on with them.

Is Shirley difficult enough that I should earn the best available cards and come back later for her or can I just dive right in as soon as the option's there?

Nah, clown on them

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hammer Bro. posted:

I did not even realize quests could go inactive. That would explain a bit about their irregular behavior.

Ugh, menus.

It's even more frustrating that the lore menu has a really good list of every weapon, gear piece and item in the game - but nothing for sidequests.

It feels like something they really need to prioritise when they look at patching this (assuming they're even planning any post launch support?).

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Most of the Square games I've purchased for Switch have not received much if any post-launch support.

They've been mostly fine and generally stable first releases, which indicates that they're great at executing but maybe not so hot at designing.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Trials of Mana got one or two two large content patches so idk it’s kind of a toss up. They fixed some stupid poo poo and added more difficulty levels, since the game was way too easy.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

B'n'D is like Triple Triad but better.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Anyone else getting periodic crashes? I've had two so far. Nothing huge lost by them but still odd to experience on a console

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SKULL.GIF posted:

B'n'D is like Triple Triad but better.

I like it but I wish it was more useful outside the room you learn to play. Once you get the Asterisk you never really need to play again for any reason. At least in FF8 you could obsessively grind cards and turn them into something useful. Like a lot of other things in BD2 it just ends up feeling half baked, regardless of how legitimately good it is to play on its own.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Weight's super annoying when it's like... "hey you found this cool new shield for your Vanguard! jk it'd put you two points over capacity so your stats will drop a ton".

Just let me use my cool dungeon loot, man...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Levantine posted:

I like it but I wish it was more useful outside the room you learn to play. Once you get the Asterisk you never really need to play again for any reason. At least in FF8 you could obsessively grind cards and turn them into something useful. Like a lot of other things in BD2 it just ends up feeling half baked, regardless of how legitimately good it is to play on its own.

Completing card collections gives you prizes, doesn't it? You probably havr to do a 100% collection to unlock some end/post game ultimate thing too.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Completing card collections gives you prizes, doesn't it? You probably havr to do a 100% collection to unlock some end/post game ultimate thing too.

Does it? I have no idea. I don't know how to track what cards I have outside of playing a game so once I got the Asterisk I just stopped.

Also that battle made me really hate the counter system in the game. Hit Orpheus with phys attacks? He buffs. Hit him with magic? He hits you right back. Heal? He puts you to sleep. It's like, gently caress dude, just chill out. I like the idea that bosses can counter, but the reality that some just counter everything you can do is super annoying.

EDIT: i hate complaining about the game because I am having a good time with it but everytime I get rolling something just undercooked or irritating halfway derails me. The game is so close to great, in spite of its shortcomings though.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LiefKatano posted:

Weight's super annoying when it's like... "hey you found this cool new shield for your Vanguard! jk it'd put you two points over capacity so your stats will drop a ton".

Just let me use my cool dungeon loot, man...

Yeah, but it makes for interesting choices when you get/steal cool loot from the overworld bosses. A lot of the better weapons weigh something like 20-30, so even though you can get them super early, you can't actually use them without making major sacrifices to your other gear. By the time you can slot them in normally, you're rocking other equipment on the same power level and they're no longer exceptionally powerful and gamebreaking.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is over encumbering yourself to use body slam viable?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Levantine posted:

Does it? I have no idea. I don't know how to track what cards I have outside of playing a game so once I got the Asterisk I just stopped.

Also that battle made me really hate the counter system in the game. Hit Orpheus with phys attacks? He buffs. Hit him with magic? He hits you right back. Heal? He puts you to sleep. It's like, gently caress dude, just chill out. I like the idea that bosses can counter, but the reality that some just counter everything you can do is super annoying.

EDIT: i hate complaining about the game because I am having a good time with it but everytime I get rolling something just undercooked or irritating halfway derails me. The game is so close to great, in spite of its shortcomings though.

It also totally took me out of the whole asterisk system that Orpheus seems to have retained all of his powers after losing it and is just as strong as he was before if not stronger. So it's just the clothes that change?

Also why couldn't the game have just let me save between the card match and the actual boss? It took me a few attempts to beat her, so immediately plunging you into a 30+ minute fight after doing so is rough. If I hadn't done it first time I probably would have just given up on the quest entirely.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm only in chapter 2 but the Gambler fight was definitely the worst fight so far.

It's real bad.

E: Like, it's not the hardest or anything. It just sucks.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

stev posted:

It also totally took me out of the whole asterisk system that Orpheus seems to have retained all of his powers after losing it and is just as strong as he was before if not stronger. So it's just the clothes that change?

Just because you forcibly swapped him back to Freelancer doesn't mean Bard can't still be his sub job! Probably did some level grinding to work off his frustrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Got a Huge JP orb (3k) from my boat...But now I have no idea who to use it on, haha.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Beat what I assume is the big bad of chapter 2 Folio fights like a little girl. All the others were tough to some degree but she just crumpled and couldn't do a thing to anyone. Was a pretty bad first impression of this goofy rear end class if all it could do was die :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

For a village that worships dragons the fact we have the son of the local god hiding out in our backpack that could very easily defuse the situation going on here does not occur to ANYBODY in the party? I know they are already suspected of being fairies and all but what's gonna happen if they try? More suspicion?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Turns out that there are ribbons in this game! You can get them in Chapter 5. The Cyclops boss south of Holograd has a Ribbon as its rare drop. Definitely not the easiest boss to take down, but also not too terrible. There are also a couple of other bosses in the area, Zeus and Susanoo, who have a powerful staff and an absolutely nuts sword respectively.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

For a village that worships dragons the fact we have the son of the local god hiding out in our backpack that could very easily defuse the situation going on here does not occur to ANYBODY in the party? I know they are already suspected of being fairies and all but what's gonna happen if they try? More suspicion?

Yeah, that whole area strikes me as one where the story would be perfectly fine if the party didn't have access to as many asterisks as they do. They have literally dozens of possible solutions to the situation at hand, many of which would outright prevent all of the bloodshed entirely. Instead, they just kind of sit there and say "we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas" over and over again. If it were the first area and they were freelancers with maybe a black mage crystal, then sure, but by the time that reviving the dead is a party trick, and one of the least powerful things that they can do, that sort of story really loses its impact.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think Raise actually resurrects the dead.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I can't imagine there's much left to resurrect after falling thousands of feet.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

*beats 10,000hp out of boss in a couple of turns with focal blast and body slam*

my party: We're hardly doing any damage! Let's run away!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Have you seen the kind of hits that we routinely take in combat from legendarily powerful enemies? If something hits you for 5,000 damage, it probably wouldn't exactly leave much of a corpse either.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone have a good start for jormungandr? I’ve tried a couple things and got dumpstered every time which is weird because every other field boss has been a pushover

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

Have you seen the kind of hits that we routinely take in combat from legendarily powerful enemies? If something hits you for 5,000 damage, it probably wouldn't exactly leave much of a corpse either.

When we hit enemies for 5000 damage they seem fine a lot of the time tbh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

By the rules of JRPG, combat is abstracted and getting shot 300 times in a single round doesn't do nearly as much damage as getting shot once in a cutscene. These are the rules :hai:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Why not simply Use a ton of phoenix downs on the mass grave in the canyon below the city? I think that would solve all their problems

That being said though, was anybody else bothered by How when it was the priests daughter we just coulden't get there in time to do anything to stop her from being killed, but as soon as it's the hot flirty lady that used to have the Dragoon job suddenly THAT'S when Adelle decides to use the wings?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

That being said though, was anybody else bothered by How when it was the priests daughter we just coulden't get there in time to do anything to stop her from being killed, but as soon as it's the hot flirty lady that used to have the Dragoon job suddenly THAT'S when Adelle decides to use the wings?

To be fair, the latter is a close personal friend of Adelle's, so she's willing to go the extra mile to protect her.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I think the worst kind of counter is "Counter: Any Ability" and it just gives the boss a free BP point. Considering the most damage they will do at any time is when they decide to Default up a bunch of unleash hell on your party. In normal circumstances you can see it coming since they will just stop everything and start defaulting a bunch in a row.If you happen to get unlucky and they get that counter a bunch on a row as you're struggling to raise and heal for example though? All that effort will be down the drain as they suddenly go ham on you.

I know half the strategy in these boss fights now is figuring out a way to get around/minimize the impact of the counters the bosses have. But when the counter just gives them extra turns for trying to do anything to help yourself, what exactly is the strategy other than hope it doesn't proc to many times?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Playing on normal I maxed freelancer first, and didn't have to do any grinding. I just leveled them up going through the story. It's easy enough that a team of freelancers can handle anything in the early game. Just make liberal use of forage to stock up on attack items for bosses.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The demo gives a pretty bad impression of this game, I reckon. I decided to take a punt on the full game and it's a lot better starting from the start than in chapter 1 with some pre-set characters.

I wish the card game's animations were a bit quicker.

Prologue farming JP etc: Max out Freelancer ASAP, the 1.7x boost in JP makes everything so much quicker to level that it's essentially mandatory. it's a bit tricky to start with, but if you poison the leanan sith while Sloan is with you, you can stall it out and get a lot of JP at a time. The more you do it, the more you can survive when she spams her AOE

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There are also some mushroom enemies in a story required dungeon in Chapter 2 and if you have gambler's rare drop up on all your characters they drop magic attack up buns very consistently. :getin:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The sheer amount of counters bosses and their friends have are ridiculous, I agree. It might not be so terrible if they triggered less often or even if when you examined the enemies their counters showed up as part of the info.

Also the card game is really good and it has pretty good music, too. Does any one know what kind of prizes you can get for collecting a lot of cards? I’m not going to sink too much time into it if there isn’t a good reward later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The sheer amount of counters bosses and their friends have are ridiculous, I agree. It might not be so terrible if they triggered less often or even if when you examined the enemies their counters showed up as part of the info.

At the very least I wish counters and immunities showed up after you'd seen them in effect. Remembering that poo poo gets very tiresome.