Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm just about a hour and a half into the game (cleared first boss) and I'm in love. I never got the chance to try out Bravely Default 1 or B2nd but this tickles my jRPG cockles in ways that haven't been tickled since Octopath Traveler and... before that... poo poo, not in years.

I get the very distinct impression that BD2 is pretty much a FF5 spiritual sequel. The main four characters correspond pretty easily to the FF5 characters, you have the outfits per job, the Crystals motif, even the Wind/Wind connection and the Magisa/Forza successor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Man I'd been griping to my friends about framerate drops, it turns out the game runs much more stable in handheld mode than docked mode. Does anyone know if there's a "performance" option to run at a lower resolution even when docked? I don't mind playing at a lower resolution but I can't stand fps drops, they really take me out of the experience when the game skips several frames in the middle of a sweet animation.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A princess leads from the front!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It bugs me that scenes will sometimes render characters in low-res with jaggies everywhere, then in the next scene it renders them in HD with no jaggies.

How does weapon rating work? Vanguard has a S for axes, does that actually do/mean anything?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FF5's was the Saturday morning cartoon version of JRPG plots.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Just finished the Beastmaster asterisk, first non-worldboss fight in the game that wiped me (twice, even!) before I could clear it. Playing on Hard mode. Good fight. Very pleased with the challenge.

Gloria dragged the team across the finish line with like 50 hp remaining and everyone else dead (and missing out on the huge XP/JP bonuses :() as the final poison tick kicked in and took down the asterisk.

https://twitter.com/agent_kincaid/status/1367298975624089600

Have loading times been an issue for anyone else? I'm playing on a physical cartridge and I'm not sure whether I should move the game to internal memory or something. It takes about 10-12 seconds to load into a city or overworld zone. Going from Savalon to Halcyonia via caravan takes 30-40 seconds total of loading. It takes about 3-4 seconds of blackscreen to get in and out of fights. The game is pretty great but the constant blackscreens/loadscreens are really wearing on my patience.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

B'n'D is like Triple Triad but better.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Black Mage is undertuned, and, honestly, magic just seems overall undertuned in this game compared to the "physical" jobs which get a wide variety of damaging abilities and status debuffs, combined with excellent stats.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Captain Monkey posted:

He’s just here to show us how hardcore a gamer he is and how awesome that makes him and tell us we’re playing wrong and are bad.

Just ignore him lmao

Please see a doctor about your very concerning rear end situation.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

raditts posted:

I don't know what you think you're accomplishing with this weird attempt at a flex, but in the prologue you scarcely have enough jobs to go around without doubling up (which would be an incredibly loving stupid thing to do) and by the end of the first chapter you should be able to cycle everyone through in between mastering other available jobs. Not to mention that mastering freelancer helps you master other jobs much faster. But then, I'm not the one complaining about how hard the bosses allegedly are so what the gently caress do I know

By the time I'd cleared chapter 1 I'd mastered maybe one job per character. Does Hard mode reduce JP gain or what?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

For sailing, have you guys been able to "meet" actual players? I keep getting players named Bravely, Default, etc, with Seths named "A. N. Other" and such.

I have a Nintendo Online membership and the first time I went out sailing I was encountering real players, not defaults.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I had given the game permission to go online during expeditions, but I discovered in my settings that it was actually set to Off. go check and see what yours is set on right now

That was it, thanks!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mega64 posted:

Turns out any time your connection is disconnected while sailing, the game auto-turns off online connectivity, meaning you have to manually enable it again in the settings every time.

Why would it possibly be implemented like this? :psyduck:

But now I know to check my settings every time I log 12 hours of sailing, at least.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I do think it’s kinda dumb that I can’t abandon side quests. I was accepting a bunch of quests and thinking why can I only see the old ones still

If you go into the travelogue you can "abandon" the quests you don't want to track anymore and track new quests. It's very, very clunky and limited but it's there.

This is a solid game but desperately needed so many QOL stuff.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Woof, cleared Red Mage on the first try but I was pretty underleveled (20-21) and I blew through all my hi-potions and phoenix down to do it. I'm gonna have to start optimizing aren't I?

Pleasantly surprised after the Chapter 1 bosses were cakewalks even on hard mode.

That was a long rear end dungeon though. I had to stop and completely reconfigure everyone's gear halfway through, and at about the 2/3 mark I just began using ward lights because ugh. Not sure what the point is of having non-random battles if the enemies move fast enough that you can't dodge or slash them without split second reactions.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

That one BnD player in the first *chapter 2 dungeon is ridiculously out of line compared to every other BnD player I've encountered so far. Her cards have like 4 or 5 tiles each, so even without her global (if you counteract it with a global of your own) she has huge board advantage.

edit: clarified where she was

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 10, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is there really only one BnD player in the first Chapter 2 town????

More will pop up as you progress through the story.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It amuses me that they deliberately made the working project name even worse than "Octopath Traveler" to avoid having their working name stick a second time.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Natural 20 posted:

Getting super powerful really early is fine conceptually, you should absolutely be able to do it and that's part of what some people find fun in an RPG.

But if the ostensible goal of the weight system is to prevent that, then you could just not have a weight system and pace your item drops instead.

The weight system isn't there to prevent you from doing that, it's to allow you to get cool poo poo early on without completely breaking the game's pace by having you make tradeoffs to use this shiny gear.

"Just pace the item drops" means progression/power curve closer to linear which by this point has been thoroughly explored and mined by the genre.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm liking the gameplay so far but man this game runs like complete poo poo. Like I can't believe how badly optimized it is, especially relative to the visuals which are middling at best. The load times are bad and the sheer number of them is annoying. I even get a weird lag in the menus sometimes. They really need to get some patches out.

There is no predictive loading and it drives me crazy -- especially when using the caravan to travel from city to city.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do I tell how many enemies I captured for the beastmaster job, and how do I tell what their moves are? and for seriously, each monster is a 1 time use?? I don't get to LEARN white wind? the gently caress is this poo poo

It's Beastmaster, not Blue Mage.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I figured the dungeons were that large mostly so you'd get into plenty of combats -- as this is a combat-focused game -- without doing something insane like Black Sigil's sky-high encounter rate where you got into a random encounter every 3-4 steps.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How exactly does dual wielding work? I keep getting stat losses whenever I try it. I am not going over the weight limit.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Evil Fluffy posted:

It sold 93k copies its first week in Japan, compared to 140k for BD1 and 100k or so for BS. Pretty sue the (3)DS userbase was much larger than the Switch is but :shrug:

Isn't this number for physical copies sold, not accounting for digital downloads?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My impression of Godspeed Strike and the Beastmaster passive was that the developers deliberately gave players the option to just bulldoze the game if they didn't want to actually engage with the game, in way of heading off complaints that "This game is impossible!!" from players who couldn't or didn't want to understand the mechanics. This is also why these two things show up so early in the game.

I do agree that BD2 felt half-baked.

As for Octopath Traveler, I loved the poo poo out of it. I think Boost/Break was in some ways better implemented than BD2's Brave/Default (even if Boost ends up not having all that much depth to it), and being able to interrupt enemies felt a lot more meaningful than just getting a damage boost from hitting their weakness. The 8 travelers' stories have this melancholic, lonely feel to them, even as they travel with others, and I really enjoyed trying to connect all the pieces together to figure out the underlying mystery. I think it helped a lot that I went into Octopath with zero idea of what to expect and didn't spoil myself on anything about it, just engaged with the game as fresh as possible trying to figure out what was making the game tick.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 28, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Clarste posted:

I do not ascribe nearly as much intentionality to the developers, given how everything else turned out.

I think it's fairly clear that BD2 was developed chapter-by-chapter but ymmv.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Evil Fluffy posted:

I like that a couple of fights in Octopath had very clear "if you haven't figured out how to break enemies properly, you're hosed" fights like Warmaster.

I fought Winnehild *very early* and absolutely loved trying to solve that fight with massive sandbagging and "What the gently caress do I even do?!". It was kind of a disappointment that very few other fights were like this, aside from Managarmr and the final boss.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Octopath is on Gamepass and I'm gonna give that a try although I understand it's very much not a FF5 clone.

It seems a bunch of people bounced off Octopath because of Chapter 1, so my advice is to get a team of 4 as early as you can and keep an eye out for the job Shrines on the path between towns which will let you swap classes. Once you can start mixing and matching the game opens up a lot. I really liked it, spent all of April on it last year during the pandemic.

My other bit of advice for enjoying the game is that there ARE intraparty character interactions, but they're a pain to get because they rely on specific characters being in your party at specific times in each chapter. What I did was just play the chapter normally and then after the chapter go to Youtube and watch the party interactions for that particular chapter -- there's a bunch of compilation videos.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

Kind of sad to see that this game has basically fallen off the radar. Not that I’m surprised, but for BD’s triumphant return, I’m sure this wasn’t what Square-Enix was expecting.

I think it really desperately needed 6 more months in the oven. Rushing it to release, for a game like this, just meant that all the little things they did wrong stood out extra much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I would've enjoyed BD2 a lot more if not for the serious issues with optimization on the Switch. There's no reason load times needed to be this long and the framerate drops bug me.