Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

getting a headshot at full gallop >>>>>> sex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

Empire absolutely has horse troops and shield users (cataphracts/legionaries), they're just high in the tech tree.

What's the skill line I need to invest in/dump a companion's xp into to be able to passively train troops? I think there was a "trainer" skill in Warband so I assume there is one here. Hate having to kill looter after looter and losing a couple levys I am trying to train every time.

Leadership has a perks that give xp. Not sure if anything else does tho

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

one of those southern desert tribes attacked me. 27 to 16 in a village

they got pressed up against a house then destroyed with one one death on my side

I recruited all their prisoners and took as many then prisoner as I could. Now I have somewhere around 50 horses 10k in the bank and a slew of high level units in my army.

Stupid loving lucky hell yeah

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

So apparently the conspiracy quest isn't bugged, it's just unfinished. Early access!!!

Also I think my game is bugged. The only companions I ever find are combat focused people from sturgia

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Hideouts aren't much of a problem on realistic so long as you use ranged weapons and remember to tell your dudes to fire at will since it's the one time it's off by default

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

w0o0o0o posted:

I might actually try raiding them again now. Getting your entire party wiped because the diceroll gave you eight peasants to work with against 20 bandits was a painful experience.

Is it determined by dice roll? I though it went by whoever was highest up in the party menu so you just drag and drop some heavy hitters to your number 3 slot or whatever

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I've never actually seen lords in a castle, they're always doing army stuff

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

How do you actually swing a couchable/swingable hafted blade style weapon like a glaive? I picked up a glaive but even when I'm on foot I still only seem to be able to use the overhand and underhand thrust attacks.

I could with the steel menavlion and it did just as much damage as a couched thrust attack

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

explosivo posted:

I finally caved and bought this after trying to force myself to play more Warband instead and man this is some good poo poo.

even tho it's incomplete and jank as fuckthe quality of life stuff is super good

like that villages are tied to castles and towns now, always sucked fighting some hellwar just to be given a shitfarm

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

considering they've put out a patch a day I would advise anyone itt not to get too attached to their campaigns

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

When in hideouts you can always retreat with no penalty except you can't attack again till the next day, if you hit a group and most of your group gets wiped just retreat. The hideouts don't replenish either so you can wear them down this way pretty effectively if you have the time

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

So what does it take to remove a kingdom? The southern empire got split up between 3 different other kingdoms and have been reduced to a 4 people wandering around. I'm not sure if my sides gonna declare any more wars while they're around

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Generation Internet posted:

Holy poo poo the AI commanders in Army battles are smart and will actually try to use the terrain now. I just had an army I was in win despite being outnumbered ~500 to ~400 by virtue of the leader being smart enough to put my party's 30 Sergeant Crossbowmen on a hill in a defensive position. I led one wing of the cavalry and started by skirmishing with their cav before smashing into the back of the enemy infantry as they charged out line, it felt like a first person Total War battle.

I attacked a noble who's army I outnumbered and it had it's infantry form a circle with archers firing out when my horse archers closed in. I was legitimately impressed. Sucks that the battle prep is locked behind tactics 75

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It also currently doesn't work. :v:

Well at least I know to stop worrying about now!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Depends what you want, crossbows do more punch and have better range but bows have better rate of fire. I think most of the archers are very similar but Vlandia does the best crossbows IMO because empire ones have broken stats.

Battanian Fians are probably the best archers overall though because they're the battanian nobility line.

I find the aserai master archers are also super good. Not as good as flans, but you can get them at any aserai settlement so can make it up in volume and how easy it is to replace them when they eat a javelin to the face

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i have no clue if moving in a wedge gives some kind of combat advantage but im gonna keep doing it because a giant wedge of cavalry slamming into the side of the enemies archer swarm rules

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

beserkers are the one exception because the great axe oneshots most shields which lets them absolutely mow through most formations

still immediately get wiped if an archer group has any sight lines at all, tho. javelins aren't tooo bad at least...

now in skirmish/siege two-handed is actually king

I find javelins to be more of a menace than arrows. with arrows and my current armor I can take 3, maybe 4 hits to the body and 2 to the head. With javelins its 1 hit and my health is 75% gone, and if I get hit in the head im done. not as much range, but all they need to do is get lucky.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Archonex posted:

Speaking of difficulty, I am at a legitimate loss as to how to deal with this bandit camp that's set up and harassing my peasants.

We're talking, like 30 forest bandits (all with bows and arrows!) and it auto selects like 7 at most of the worst suited people to the task.

I'ma about to say gently caress it and enable cheats. Its the first battle i've savescummed in because it's simply that bullshit.

if its like 30 high level people i would honestly just say gently caress it and cheat, but if you dont want to do that hideouts dont replenish troops. so you can just go in, kill a few dudes then retreat from the tab menu with no downside other than waiting 24 hours to attack again.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

The good thing is that the AI doesn't care about troop composition and they get their rear end kicked regularly so their parties are almost always like 50% raw recruits, 25% tier 2 trash, and a handful of decent soldiers so even when fighting the Khuzaits you don't have to worry about ever facing the veteran all-horse archer armies that players will field.

the downside is of course when you go up against a country that got lucky with its previous wars and still has a big chunk of their elite units from when the game starts so ur stuck in an army thats mostly trash vs an army thats also mostly trash but has like 50 cataphracts causing havoc

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I'll catch you and your drat entourage alone one of these days Garios!!!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Generation Internet posted:

I saw this on reddit, custom banners are a thing apaprently but I haven't tried yet myself

https://bannerlord.party/banner/

wonder if its possible to add in new shapes so i can give clan atreides its proper heraldry

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

DrBox posted:

YES! Also, other factions should be able to send you counter offers if you want to rogue it up a bit more.

I want to be able to launch sneak attacks on cities. Like if your roguery is high enough and/or the owners trust you enough you can just move your whole army in then start a giant hellbrawl in the streets to take it over without a siege.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i wonder what determines the size of looter groups

i been seeing ones that are 20-30 people strong, even saw one with 60 people

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

nations, nobility, power, wealth, all of that is just a distraction to the real ideal for which these gods among men have forsaken their humanity in the pursuit of

the perfect rock throw

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

BeAuMaN posted:

What would their flag be?

what is a flag to someone who requires no symbols? who carries only the tattered rags of what they once were? they need no flag, only knowledge of their goal and what it is for. that if on the road they encounter God, they may throw a rock at him

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Uppa posted:

Movement speed: how to go faster? I find it incredibly annoying to ever...so...slowly chase some small group of looters halfway across the map because my movement speed is 0.1 faster than theirs is. All I've found in my (admittedly little) googling is 'more horses', so I've bought lots of horses and doesn't seem to be accomplishing anything.

What kind of horses? Mules and Sumpter horses just give more carrying capacity and do nothing for speed

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, I've been very carefully not promoting some units to keep costs down for now. I guess I need to look into forming a caravan, though I sent a companion off on a mission and he hasn't come back.

Question in general: if I conquer a (hypothetically) Battanian village/castle/town and then go to recruit, will the recruits be Battanian? And does the same thing happen if, say, Sturgia conquers a Battanian village? Will it be Battanian or Sturgian recruits?

Cultures are determined by the town so it always has the same kind of troops regardless of who owns it

so in your example the sturgian lord would be able to recruit battanian soldiers from the village

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe this is a stupid question but I can't figure it out, how do I put troops into groups? My little party of 20 people has like 5 archers, 10 melee, and 5 horses but when I go into combat they're all one big clump. How do I put them into easily orderable groups?

on the party screen there's a little shield with a Roman numeral in it in the upper right coroner of the units picture, you can assign group numbers there

to order a specific group just press the number key. It usually defaults to infantry as one archers as 2 horsemans as 3 and horse archers as 4

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

It also uses terrain. It one big battle the enemy army pulled back and reformed with a cliff at it's side to guard it's flank

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

how do u manually slaughter animals

I've only ever seen it done automatically

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

im not sure why people getting hit with those fukken rocks is so funny but drat

also medicine levels up when your dudes get knocked out, but not killed.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

imo its also a good idea to focus character creation skill points in skills that are harder to level up.

weapons skills shoot up pretty quickly if you make consistent use of them, same with riding or athletic. smithing also goes up pretty quickly, especially if you have the stamina turned off. steward ship gets exp every day just from paying wages and handing out food. roguery from ransoming people and burning poo poo. those are pretty easy to level up to being useful especially if you put a focus point or two into them.

poo poo like leadership, charm, medicine and scouting are kinda bastards to actually build up in my experience tho so buffing those seems like a solid idea. idk might have to try it out when being a mercenary gets fixed.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

can't wait for a jank off model Franz who just uses voice rips from total Warhammer

can I join your faction? "THIS ACTION DOES NOT HAVE MY CONSENT"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

The one thing that I wish they had changed is how nobles can just straight up escape. Unless I want to play as The Executioner it's really tedious.

I captured a noble half a days ride outside of a city and he escaped in the time it took for me to get back there to ransom him

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

Ok I'm hitting my roof on the poo poo I can do just going around rescuing battanian daughters and fighting looters. How do I start makin' big dosh? Real big boy dosh? I set up a trade caravan and it seems to do loving nothing because I assigned a fighter instead of a trader like a goddamn imbecile thinking it was a matter of protection and not leadership.

Caravans take a week or so to start turning a profit. For big boi money tho

Your prolly at clan rank 1 by this point, so join up with a kingdom as a mercenary. the actual pay you get for destroying groups is irrelevant, your goal is to make profit of the wars and the much better loot it gives you. Join in with an army and demolish another army for horses and weapons. Burn villages for free food. Destroy enemy caravan for free everything else. When you hit clan rank 2 you can join as a vassal and start getting some fiefs.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Arrath posted:

How would I go about doing this? Hit up some noble out in the world? Go to the keep in a town?

Talk to any noble, I can't remember the exact dialogue options but you basically just ask if they can swear you into their kings service (or directly if they're the king in question). Select either the mercenary or vassal option depending on what you want. Do that and your set.

Fair warning on being a merc, at the moment it's basically the same as being a vassal, but without the promise of land so there's no term for your contract and you take a faction wide relationship hit if you leave. Hopefully this will get fixed in the futurt

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah it seems weird. Not sure if it's an odd design decision or something isn't working right. I don't see why mercenaries should be penalized for leaving a faction. Going from place to place to fight is kind of their thing.

at the very least it would be nice to be able to leave the service of someone who's getting their rear end kicked/fighting the horse nomads without freezing myself out of any future jobs once they get their poo poo together/stop fighting the horse nomads

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah, there should be arrow barrels scattered around. Alternately if you press alt it'll highlight any items you can pick up so you can get any arrows that missed or refill your quiver from ones dropped by dead archers

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

just put mules camels and sumpters into a new item category called pack animals, there problem solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

wait the western empire gets unique infantry

what the gently caress