Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Promethium posted:

the autoresolve calculation assumes the looters don't break morale so your party gets full experience for beating them

is that how it works? I wondered why I wasn't getting more xp from slaughtering columns of fleeing infantry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

every open field battle the first thing I do is 2->F3->F3 to put my archers in Loose formation

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I finished a campaign, sort of:

I went it alone with my own imperial faction, seizing an isolated castle that Khuzait had taken from the northern empire so I could finish the kingdom quest and get access to the kingdom screen, then I started executing Khurzaits because they kept escaping from my dungeons. Later after killing probably 2/3rds of their leaders I realized that as a faction leader I could straight up ask people to join me, so I started doing that instead. The remaining Khurzaits hated my guts because for most of them I'd executed multiple family and friends but I still convinced a couple of them to become my my vassals even though my Honour was "Devious", probably from executing people, and I only had 20 charm. I had a huge pile of renown at this point though, so maybe that has an impact, but probably the conversation and barter mechanic just isn't close to properly balanced/implemented yet. Also, I'm playing on the middle difficulty, which is called 'easy', so maybe it really is supposed to be easy

At this point Vlandia declared war on me and had expanded across most of the map (I started the campaign a few patches ago, before the anti-snowball stuff) so I paid whats left of Khurzait 15k gold to make peace. Vlandia doomstacks began sieging multiple castles and cities but I convinced some of their nobles to defect and one of them gave me half of Vlandia. I also convinced more random nobles from other nations to defect to me so I at this point I became the snowball. Eventually I took a settlement that I think gets me to the 2/3rd Imperial culture settlements I needed to win but if I try to assign it to a clan in the Election screen the game crashes. Close enough :toot:

I'll probably try a Realistic campaign as a vassal to see if the diplo stuff in that feels much different. 5 star early access game though, even if it did take a decade

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 5, 2020

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Also, fians are death gods. I want to get Leader 125 in my next game so I can turn forest bandits into fians. The super units for the other factions all seem to be cavalry but a AI horseman with 280 riding and polearm isn't going to rack up the kills like a 280 archer aimbotting it up. Here's a battle where the AI sallied forth from a besieged city to try and finish off my few remaining troops after I nearly got wiped out by a Vlandia doomstack:

(I have no kills because I was at 20% health and archer AI gets real dumb if the player dies)

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Looters can't ransom prisoners in town, so captured peasants and soldiers are indoctrinated just like in the player's army: eventually they throw off the trappings of civilization and learn to love loot

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Something I just figured out: bowmen start out siege attacks in the 'scatter' formation, which looks really cool - they'll spread out and take cover behind barricades, but if you have a numbers advantage you probably want to just set up a firing line to hose down the ramparts. archers hiding behind barricades won't necessarily be in a position to shoot anything

Also, you can actually move units around the field before starting a siege attack. Its probably pretty obvious to a lot of people playing but I just assumed the whole reployment mechanic was NYI since the 'auto deploy' button was greyed out

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Beefeater1980 posted:

The “I have reserves” strategy.

it actually reduces casualties, though: a firing line will suppress defending archers. every time a new archer or siege engine operator runs up to replace a dead one he'll get mowed down. Also, if you pull your infantry off the walls the defending infantry will pull away from the breach points, leaving the archers as the only targets for your archers

I think walls get way tougher to assault as they get upgraded, though. There's one that has massive concave ramparts where pretty much all the defending archers are well protected

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Captain Oblivious posted:

Just be aware that the way this is going to work for a while is scrounging for the odd Highborn Youth recruit becaus they’re rare as gently caress. Part of why Battanian archers are so good is that’s their noble ultra elite troop type.

Alternatively, with Leadership 125 you can take the Disciplinarian perk and then every prisoner you get from forest bandit lairs you capture can eventually become a Fian

(it's really hard to get though, as far as I can tell the only way to raise leadership is by putting armies together, and even after doing that it takes a long, long time)

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Jamwad Hilder posted:

yea turning the sound to lowest quality remarkably improved the games performance for me, for some reason

mostly I've been frustrated because the game ran smoothly the first few days and now battles between 40 combined people on both sides are choppy so I don't really understand what happened

Try rebooting, my game chugged when I first installed it but ran fine after a reboot

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Midgetskydiver posted:

Can the horses you and your companions ride die? I have noticed a couple times that equipped companion horses disappear. If so, this is extremely stupid.

I don't think they can die in battle, but I think if you upgrade infantry troops to mounted troops they take the most expensive available horse or war horse, even if a companion is riding it.

(I havent had this happen to me because I always choose a different upgrade path, its possible its been fixed or the horse was disappearing for some other reason)

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 8, 2020

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

This was weird: the Vlandians retreated with over 2/3rds of their army remaining (They weren't doing great, but still)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL15-jZUekw

I had my guys pick up arrows instead of chasing them down because I thought they were regrouping with reinforcement troops and coming back :goleft:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

If there's a spent arrow embedded in the ground nearby they'll go grab it automatically. As far as I can tell they won't refill from dropped quivers, though

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

New patch

quote:

Crashes
Fixed a crash that happens mainly when exiting the game or leaving a scene.
A crash that occurred when making peace with lords in an army through barter has been fixed.
Fixed a crash that occurred when trying to execute a prisoner.
Solved some memory leak issues related to loading a game and entering a scene.
An infinite loading issue that occurred when the player was leading an army and attempted to defend a castle was resolved.
Fixed an infinite loading screen bug while starting a battle as an army.
Save & Load
Loaded games now start in a paused state.
Battles and Sieges
Fixed a menu bug that appeared when the defender side of a siege sallied out.
Clan and Party
Fixed a bug that allowed players to repeatedly create and destroy new parties after reaching each clan tier to take the starting troops of the new party into their own. Player created parties now start with just 1 hero.
In rare cases, a lord’s party was spawning at the centre of a settlement and was unable to move. This is now fixed.
Kingdoms and Diplomacy
Fixed a bug where ending your mercenary contract with a kingdom resulted in a loss of relationship with the lords of the kingdom.
Kingdoms at war with powerful enemies will now offer higher payments for mercenaries. In addition to this, the ruler's economical situation is important too while determining payment. With this change, mercenary factions will now generally prefer to take a contract from factions which have powerful enemies and rich rulers.
Mercenaries are less likely to join kingdoms immediately and will instead wait for a decent offer. With these additions, there is a bigger difference between payments offered by different kingdoms to mercenaries (changes between 30-300 denars per influence).
Players can now hire mercenary factions to their own kingdoms via dialogue (using the same formula as above).

Quests & Issues
Dialogue screen now returns to normal conversation after discussing the “Battle of Pendraic” with related nobles instead of closing.
Fixed a bug that showed some issue quests’ days remaining as a negative value.
Fixed a bug that caused some quests to fail immediately when activated.
Conversations & Encounters
Fixed a conversation bug that caused the conversation to get stuck after returning to the menu while the persuasion conversation is still active.
Fixed a bug that caused prisoners to smile. :smile:
Other
Made the splash screen intro when launching the game skippable.
Fixed the age of “Watchman” troops.
Fixed an exploit where hitting a shield in a town gave combat XP.
When we entered a scene, the clothing colours of our clan members are now the same as our clan colours.

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 8, 2020

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Nosre posted:

it's dumb that all horses (including Sumpters) are called 'horse' at the top of the tooltip, but there's a 2nd 'horse' label down at the bottom which is the one that matters

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

-I have a foggy memory about kidnapped siblings from the very start of the game. It's a year later and I've not heard from my brother, should I be worried?

Looking at my family tree, I only have one sibling remaining so I'm assuming things didn't work out

also for some reason I'm at -100 with my liege Caladog? Thats weird, I haven't been executing anyone and no one else in the game hates me nearly that much

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

The Duggler posted:

Is there a good starting guide to this? I can get off the ground, get a couple of dozen men under my command but I kind of lose what to do next. Should I be trying to join with an existing faction? Just keep doing jobs for whoever? Once I outnumber every group of bandits/looters I see I am stuck in a place where I can't exactly take on anyone else because they have way better and way more units than I could gather.

Yeah, the best thing to do is find two factions that are fighting and join one as a mercenary. Places where lots of big armies fight are where you get rich early on. Also, if you happen across a big battle and your employer's side is losing slightly you might want to wait for them to lose the battle - the winner will have a ton of veteran troops as prisoners and if you beat them you'll get to instantly recruit all those troops into your army

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Thats weird, I just recruited a guy named The Falcon (one of the new companions they added in the last couple patches) and made him a party leader, gave him the troops from the old party leader I kicked out and he gained 10 points in Steward the next day. My other party leaders have been leading the same number of dudes and have gained less than 5 Steward in dozens or hundreds of in-game days

All are Int 0, no focus in steward

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I might be wrong about how it works but I think settlements go to the leaders with the least settlements in the kingdom. I got a bunch of enemy generals to join Caladog and I haven't seen myself or most of the og Battanians show up in a vote for a while

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

The Locator posted:

Now that it can't be couched, is it as good or better than the Large Executioner's axe?

Better in general imo, but the axe is better indoors for siege battles and can hit multiple dudes at once

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I convinced this guy to betray Raganvad and pay me for the privilege :dukedog:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

longbows like the ones used at Agincourt were powerful enough to puncture tank armor

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

Poor freckles, heard about arrows and crashed the game.

horses are so drat stupid

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

you might not like it but this is what peak performance looks like

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Drakes posted:

Guys I think smithing is still good for money, you just need to craft an actual weapon.

Those polearms cost like 2 wrought irons and 1 hardwood each, there seems to be some rng when crafting too. Recipes pop up way more often when crafting a weapon after recipes from smelting dies down.

Yeah it seemed like a pointless money pit but then I unlocked Eastern Steel Mace Head. I get 1-2 skill points and 1-2 unlocks every time I make one of these and they sell for 1800 dinars:

edit: :yum:

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 12, 2020

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

and now I'm manufacturing this reality defying fella which gives me 3-4 skill points and 2-3 unlocks per craft and sells for 5800

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

you get way more smithing xp/unlocks if you make something valuable, but its kind of a crap shoot whether something is valuable. Some high tier stuff isn't actually valuable at all

edit: but yeah as far as I can tell it's totally random what unlock you get

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think you get that rep from local notables from having a big army parked in town that's part of your kingdom

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Destroyenator posted:

Yep, turns out prisoner recruitment is this:

its a really annoying way to do it since it rewards having a billion stacks of 1 prisoner each

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

terrorist ambulance posted:

Ok, but how do you get to 125 leadership?

as far as I can tell you have to get to the point where you have your own kingdom or are a vassal, then you can form armies. Once you're leading armies around your Leadership will increase. Slowly. (A lot faster in 1.1 than in earlier versions, but still pretty slow)

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 12, 2020

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

ok I have unlocked Long Falx Blade for 2H swords and achieved victory in the smithing minigame

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

if you want to get a big, unethical leg up on smithing early on, look out for throwing knives: they're dirt cheap, I found stacks with dozens of them in settlements around Battania and they give tons of materials when smelted

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

BeAuMaN posted:

What has been everyone's go-to big gently caress-off shield? I've been using the Large Round Shield but I did pick up a Pavise recently and I'm tempted. Battered Kite Shields seem to be worth a lot of coin for some reason.

I think the Pavise is the best in the game, at least for single player. If you kneel down with it raised you can't be hit by arrows in a pretty good arc

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Jose posted:

where can i get myself a tier 6 glaive that has good length. currently using the long glaive

it doesnt get much better than the Long Glaive but you might like the Rhomphalia more

you can also craft stuff if you feel like spending a few hours leveling blacksmithing: if you want you can make a glaive with 260+ length but that will tank your handling and swing speed, I feel like around 200-220 length is a good spot for trading length vs handling/speed

at high levels you can proc bonus stats from the blacksmithing skills but I'm not sure how they compare to store bought weapons. Here are some glaives with extra stats from smithing:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

crafting also gives you infinite money in the current version of the game once you unlock certain parts:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Right now smithing is really buggy: very often if you make another weapon with the same blade type as a crafted one you have in your inventory the new weapon will become the same as that weapon and go into the same stack. I wouldn't be surprised if stats were getting overwritten all the time for one reason or another

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Diplomacy is this is really psycho, my kingdom just randomly declares itself at war and peace with other nations, with zero input from me. As a vassal I didn't mind it, but I am the king!!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Companions with a full set of T6 cavalry would probably do a great job of chasing down and mulching every bandit

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Eltoasto posted:

To be fair, you ARE doing a service to the kingdom so it's not exactly an exploit. Maybe not worth the cash you are making but hey, there is profit to be made in war.

yeah mercs going around recruiting troops and using them to fill the garrisons is super helpful, I'd totally pay a premium for the AI mercs to do that for me

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Lokee posted:

Getting real tired of conquering stuff and watching it get voted off to someone else, is there a way to mitigate this?

Own fewer fiefs - you won't even be in the running if your realm has 4+ clans and you have significantly more fiefs than the others.

This is the case even if you have your own kingdom, unless you limit yourself to three clans or fewer (which is a big handicap) you'll be limited in how many fiefs you can personally own because the three clans that can be awarded a fief will be three of the clans with the least number of owned fiefs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Vargs posted:

I have an army of 240 and I still ain't fuckin with this. I'd rather fight 500 of just about anything else.

just put a square of melee infantry in front in shield wall formation, if you have decent archers you should be able to wipe them out while the melee take all the arrows with few or no losses

(except the ones without shields but melee infantry without shields deserve what they get)