Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Goons Are Gifts)

B33rChiller

We got a new kitty.

He has 3 modes: attack, hide, and chill.
Chill mode is the only one conducive to photography. Fortunately that is around 20 hours/day at this point.

Eta: here's my 9mm shooty thingies

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller

nut posted:

I’ll miss our friends in TFR, but am excited to meet our new friends who shoot laser bullets with master chief in the cult hit halo

*groggily emerging from stasis pod* Yaaaawn, mornin' everyone. What's this? The ship left TFR while I was sleepin? Dang, I forgot to stock up on ammo before we left. Guess I'm all in for this ride. Just drop me off at the gardening or plants in general treads whenever we pass by ok?
Greetings LPers! byob types, hope you don't mind a lost tfr stowing away for a while.

B33rChiller

nut posted:

My presence here is mandatory but it’s dlc to kiss me

:10bux: :sonia: :wink:

B33rChiller

Roth posted:

How does one make a Let's Play???

Robot Made of Meat posted:

You start by posting your crimes, pets,and favorite soup recipes. The rest just comes naturally.

nine-gear crow posted:

Buy a camcorder. Play a game. Film your TV in the worst possible lighting possible. And be sure to say something horribly racist/sexist/homophobic/that would get you fired instantly if you said it to your boss's face so you get noticed by The Algorithm and rack up them YouTube Bucks.

Congratulations you are a Let's Player.
I see. Lemme give this a try
Crimes: this
Pets: an old female tuxedo cat, and a brand new male kitten, really floofy tabby.
Fav soup recipe: I just go look in GWS, or whatever I have in the kitchen for veggies and chicken bones. Just do a simple broth, I ain't got the patience to type that up on a tablet.

B33rChiller

M

B33rChiller

Picked up farming simulator 18 for the 3ds yesterday. 50% discount! Now this is a chill game. Diggin' in the dirt, collecting and spreading poop, cutting grass. I'ma drive my tractor and collect some food.

Saw we landed on anime planet, and thought, nah, I'll just stay onboard. I'll tune up the hyperdrive. Turned out to be a wise choice. I know of a couple outposts of chill, if our good captain is interested. The selfie thread in pyf, and the gardening and plants in general threads in dyi (I think) are super chill. Not sure if they have a spaceport where you could land this thing though (can threads sit inside threads?)

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
B33rChiller

PI would be a good choice. I got a new kitty.
Here's Peter (Petey) Parker.
https://i.imgur.com/vLlQRRP.mp4

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

xcheopis posted:

How big is this small beast?
About this big

He's about 85% floof. Super soft and fuzzy. Almost 10 weeks old.

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Hey Bird, and all the other residents of Pet Island, thanks for the warm greeting. I'm one of the resident stow aways. Hitched a ride from TFR with these kind folks. Think I like the chill times. Here's some kitties for all to enjoy.

Pour one out for the late, great Alexander Carlin

She never met a cat she wouldn't hiss or growl at. Ladies and gentlemen, it's Lucille Johnson.

And the latest addition to the clan: Peter Parker

B33rChiller

When I was a kid, I would read the comics in the back of the newspaper, like many here. I remember always wanting to buy comic books at the drug or grocery stores, but not having enough to afford singles. My mom would often spring for an Archie digest though, since she would read them after me. By the time I had my own money, the only comics sold anywhere near me were the Archie digests, and Mad magazine. So I read Mad as a teen. Around the time Deadpool was hitting theaters, I sought out more info, as I'd never heard of that character. BSS filled me in that you can buy comics online now, and pointed me in a few different directions for good poo poo to read. Yesterday I picked up some collections of sci fi from the early 50's to read on my tablet. There's so much out there, in a pile of different genres. Any kind of story, with pictures to go along with it!

B33rChiller

The X-man cometh posted:

I used to read comics by J. Michael Straczinsky but then he retired. Who writes with a similar style?

I'm unfamiliar with his style, but heard his run on Thor is well regarded. If you want good Thor stuff, I'd suggest Jason Aaron's run. I'd also suggest asking in the recommendation thread. Those folks know their comics.

B33rChiller

magic cactus posted:

Howdy comics pals!

I recently read a really cool series called Zero by Ales Kot. It didn't quite stick the landing, but I was struck by the clear passion the author put into their visuals and story. I've read everything else Kot has put out and enjoyed it, though none have hit quite like that initial read of Zero did. I'm looking for suggestions of comics that were clearly passion projects for their creators. Other examples I can think of that fit that bill: The Invisibles, Kirby's New Gods, Sandman, Milligan's run on Shade The Changing Man, and (for better or for worse) David Sim's Cerebus. I have no problem with superhero/cape books or indie comics.

Anyway comics are cool and cool comics are the coolest.

Vision by Tom King could fit that bill. It's certainly what Tom King wanted to be writing, rather than an editorial driven event tie in or some such other.

And in the "You probably don't want to give him your money." category, any of Howard Chaykin's stuff. He openly just wants to draw pictures of big breasted women, and guys with guns, and that's what he does. American Flagg isn't too cringy, I guess.

B33rChiller

Here's an ad from an old comic that stayed in place during digitization

From Lorna, The Jungle Queen, 1953

B33rChiller

well now, a secret dance party? that's just swell.
I'm glad to have found the ship again
I think I fell out of the3 airlock somewhere around LP, and have been tumbling through the void ever since.

here's another chill LP I did last night
yes, it was shot in selfie mode, so everything is mirrored

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

rear end-penny posted:

It is the most BYOB thing I've seen in a long time.

I'd kind of like to do more of these if anyone wants

here's a screenshot of my chill games collection

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AomH3bswMApRyaUShpmXcTFpUZDDZRP9/view?usp=sharing

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Goons Are Groovy posted:

What I'm saying is, weed

you make a good point

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Here's some in-flight music for everyone's enjoyment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UYyGbcyuJ8

Can I get another day's worth of shore leave capt? I'm not done provisioning for the trip, and just realised we don't have enough beer, wine, ciders, :fourloko: weed, or coffee.

Buncha piss tanks in TC consumed the entire passage's worth of supplies in a single session.

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

rocket fuel is gluten free :thunk:

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Alright, the parts for the hyper drive just came in from Spain. I ordered them in a late night TC weed binge, and I didn't remember ordering 2, but that's what arrived!
Here's a test run
Deffo gonna make some spaceship tunes with these.

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

More liftoff/spaceflight sounds

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Derpies posted:

Can you tug in space or does the no gravity mess with that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_tug
Good news! It seems to work well.

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

First flight track in the bag. Apparently I do have the capabilities to record direct into the computer, and don't have to rely on a phone mic
https://voca.ro/1i28II2ppzyg

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

magic cactus posted:

I really like this, it reminds me of a first wave IDM act called CiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpBwYUO9JhA&ab_channel=VincentG

Hey thanks! and thanks for sharing CiM. yay, new to me tunes.

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Goons Are Great posted:

Alright it turned out to be your night and my morning instead, but that's fine let's goooooo

Everyone buckled up? Got yer helmets on?

Good

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Hi spacegoons, I recorded a little jam for our trip to see you.
I've thoroughly enjoyed learning about space, orbital mechanics, rockets, and kerbals from Scott Manley's YT.

If you're here, do you feel like outing yourself, Mr. Manley?

B33rChiller

Elmnt80 posted:

What is the best space music video and why is it this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKjZuykKY1I

It's either the flowing hair, the falsetto vocals, the space tentacles, or most likely, some forbidden combination of the three.

It's the wardrobe

B33rChiller

Hey space folks, another question for y'alls: Are medaka the only vertebrates to have been intentionally bred in space?

B33rChiller

I have some pictures. I bet the dorkroom would have some good cat pictures, looking forward to the next stop!

B33rChiller

Here's a phone photo of my little mystery snail.

B33rChiller

Here's the best least ugly of the first session attempt at using a tripod and timer to shoot my first aquarium. I'm pretty sure mounting the camera higher, and using the white lights, which are much brighter would improve things. I don't know about f stops, aperatures, iso, or any of those other terms. I just set the camera to the "don't use flash" mode, and autofocus.
metadata tells me it's a nikon d60.

Photo-goons, do you have any easy, simple things I could do to make my shots better?
eta: I was using green light because I was shooting at night to avoid glare, and was trying to not juice the algae. (effectiveness unknown so far)

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 5, 2021

B33rChiller

Ric posted:

That's not what paddling dogs means, travellers

I'm going to guess you have, or had in the past, a dog that enjoys swimming? Portuguese water dogs / Chessies / Poodles, etc.
Y/N?

B33rChiller

Ric posted:

Water dogs are great, but it stems from someone rejecting our collective advice, telling us that we are paddling dogs too far from shore, unaware that our creative deaths are imminent, while they will succeed

That's funny, and I would never had guessed.

B33rChiller

I'm only vaguely aware of certain topics, but I think it's called something like depth of field, or depth of focus, or something like that. I mean, is there a way to change or make things at different distances from the camera be in focus at the same time? Or do cameras only ever focus on a 2d plane, or I guess dome, at a set radius or distance from the camera? Can someone help explain the basics of optics / focus please?

B33rChiller

Wow, thanks for the excellent explanations, and video demonstration! I feel like I have enough grasp to start learning some stuff now.

B33rChiller

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Yeah, quite a bit of the work that goes in to making CGI look "real" or maybe even "good" is intentionally (sometimes at great computational cost) replicating the various quirks and defects of real world cameras and lenses - distortion, color fringing and aberration, lens flares, bloom, non-uniform bokeh, vignetting. The list is very long, and each represents a degradation of the original mathematically perfect image, and a loss of visual information. But if done tastefully it actually looks and feels better, at least to most people.

There are styles and applications where it's not true, but the general rule of realistic-ish CGI is that imperfection is perfection.

I remember reading about something similar in music production. The article I read was focusing on extreme metal genres, and groups that use programmed drum patterns, rather than live playing the drums. The drum programmers that were regarded as excellent would put in a lot of extra effort programming in "mistakes". Little variations in timing, slight changes to the sounds in order to replicate hitting the drum head in a different location or with different velocities. Basically, if every little sound made by the software drum kit was exactly on time, and sounding perfect, It doesn't end up sounding very good to most listeners. Small changes and "errors" are what we expect, and it can take a lot of extra effort to intentionally replicate that in software.

B33rChiller

Here's a little video clip of my favorite part of my car. It's an old beater that still works well enough for my purposes (mostly storing fast food wrappers apparently)

B33rChiller

Being a hardass doesn't seem very BYOB to me ?

B33rChiller

Ranzear posted:

I got the latest Killer Bee EP, signed cassette, just last month. I also have Whenever You Need Somebody on cassette kicking around. I have not driven a car with a cassette deck in 15 years.

It works better than the 6-pack cd changer in the trunk. It was high end when my grandma's sister bought it in '97!

B33rChiller

more falafel please posted:

I'm probably gonna buy a crossover suv because it's the only thing that makes sense because why aren't there station wagons that don't cost $40k goddamnit

I just want my mom's Taurus wagon but like, without 180k on it

This resonates with me.
We ended up buying a subaru crosstrek because we were thinking "I don't want to pay outback or forrester money. I just wish they sold the impreza with more clearance for logging roads." Turns out, that's exactly what the crosstrek is. That's the family car. My beater for occasional use, and periodically travelling to my work away from home is a 97 sable (pretty much a taurus).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller

I'm delighted to hear the tale of remember sailor, and the print block's voyage. You didn't have to tell me to listen to 2DCAT, I've been onboard that train for a while now.