Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Right now is a good time for rerolling as there is a free 10-pull available. Here is the process (on android):

1. Install the game
2. Play through the two tutorial battles
3. Do your tutorial 10x summon (Pull 1). This pull has the least chance of yielding a UR unit as there are fixed drops in it, but you still can get lucky.
4. Auto battle through story mission 1.
5. Click through the tutorial that tells you how to use EXP cubes, level your job, and strengthen abilities.
6. Collect daily login bonuses and open gifts.
7. Do the free 10x summon (Pull 2).
8. Use your free currency from the gifts to do step 1 and step 2 of the step up summon (Pull 3. Pull 4).
9. Complete the first Beginner Quest for 100 visore.
10. Go to missions and collect all your pending rewards.
11. You should have exactly 2000 visore to complete step up summon 3 (Pull 5, guaranteed UR).

If you don't get the units you want, you can uninstall the game and start from the top. It takes about 20 minutes to complete the full 5x pulls.

I would recommend resetting until you get 3 -5 URs, or however long you can tolerate it. You won't be able to do this forever, so it's good to do it while you get 5 free pulls. After you've decided to keep your account, you can get another 10x pull by completing all the Beginner Quests, and a 10x rare summon ticket which is basically another pull from either the shop or the Beginner area, I forgot which.

Here are the units you want:

Best UR Units:
Gilgamesh - Best unit in game at launch, but hard to power up due to having higher costs. If you are F2P you should consider skipping him, and you should DEFINITELY not take both him and Medi since they share ice element and your resources will be too thin.
Mediena - Best Magic DPS in game several months in. Ice element
Engelbert - Best Tank. Light element.
Ayaka - Best Healer. Wind element.

Decent UR Units:
Sterne - Dark Slash DPS.
Xiza - Dark Monk/Thief, has Steal time which is useful for raids.

MR Units
Mont - a budget version of Engelbert, easy to max out. Earth element.
Y'shtola - a budget version of Mediena in the fire element, easy to max out *Warning* if you want to max her out, you must do so while the FFXIV collab event is taking place over the next ~2 weeks
Fina - A unit that you can use to permanently raise Faith on your other units by leveling her cheer to 10. Not too good as a party member, but you'll want to do this at some point either by having your own Fina or using one from a friend in-game.

Future Top UR Units:
Orlandu - Highest utility DPS in the JP ver currently from when he comes in for several months onwards. Lightning element.
Lucia - Best physical ranged DPS in the JP ver currently. Wind Element.
Warrior of Light- A future replacement tank/utility unit over Engelbert. Light Element.

If you are intending to save for a limited character like Orlandu, try to save 60k visiore for when his banner comes along, and don't pull unless you can max him out

Future MR Units:
Gafgarian - Acceptable darkelement slash DPS. Easiest unit in the game to max out.
Saria - A caster better than Y'shtola but weaker than Mediena. Isn't completely free to max out like Y'shtola and Gaf, but easier than most units.

Other stuff to pull:
Oath of Love (MR) - Large attack buff for whole party, threat for tank.
Most cards in the game are actually really good, this one is just possibly the best one and is only MR.

Golem (UR) - Only summon that has + defense in their tree. Good for tanks.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I don't understand the pricing for stuff in this game, tbh. Sometimes it's like 'ok spend a couple of dollars and you can have this cool thing".

Other times its like 'here's a really bad character and some power-up materials, only $79.95'. Is that how gachas typically are?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The AI plays so badly in the arena (for your characters only, seemingly) that I was half convinced for a while in playing the JP version that the arena intentionally tanks your team unless you have spent a certain amount of money on the game.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Boris Galerkin posted:

FYI: on my iPad I can skip some/most of the video ads. There are some that were pure videos and I can just slide the modal window down. The ones advertising an app/game with a countdown timer though are unskippable.

-

Are there any must buys in any of the time limited shops? Things like the gil purchasable items in the beginners shop or the release commendation shop etc.

Always buy the rainbow fragments and orbs when they are selling for gold (they usually sell for 1 million each in limited quantities of either 1 or 3) or event currency (usually 3000 or 5000). They are very finite in number and you usually have to spend paid visiore to get them otherwise.

Also, sometimes you can buy chests, and they tend to have the rainbow fragments and orbs inside.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Anyone have a Fina with level 10+ cheer and or level 74/79 character? Post your friend code

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Thinking posted:

So I pulled Thancred with the shop tickets, which in any other gacha would be cause for riotous celebration and bragging. But as far as I can tell, I have only until the end of this event to buy all his shards before they go away forever, the only weapon he can use even in jp today also shares the currency from the same store, the costs for the shards had been increased for global like gilgamesh and if I don't get enough shards I can never fully level him up. Am I missing anything?

Yeah, don't bother with him. The increased cost for shards makes a character that isn't really worth it even less worth it. If all future limited characters are like that, the game will be near impossible for non-whales.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mugaaz posted:

I do, but good friends are so powerful and friend slots are so limited in this game. Are you 50+?

I started a few days late, my chars are in the 40-42 range right now, I should have at least one character in the 50-60 range in the next few days. Probably Sterne or Y'shtola.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

cams posted:

lol wow you hit the progress wall FAST in this game

so insanely thirsty for something resembling fft, but the fact that so little of what you need to advance is grindable is a massive bummer for me. played for about a week and i'm already at the point where there isn't much i can to improve, even with stamina pots, beyond logging tomorrow and knocking out dailies.

You can grind the PVP and multiplayer quests endlessly. The only multiplayer quests that are really active right now is farming awakening materials (you should do level 1 and level 3 until you have 50 of the elemental mats for each of the units you are using right now), but usually there are gear and event quests to grind.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

cams posted:

hm, maybe i don't understand the gear grind, i'll have to do some research. i am in a position where i thought grinding for xp/jp and (seemingly insanely low drop rate) job upgrade mats from story quests were all i could really do. i wanted to try and wait another weekish before i started grinding the event so i could do a higher level of ex for better value, but maybe i'll do that for a change of pace.

i've been doing the awakening mat multiplayer stuff but only did the manual pvp battle twice, are the rewards for the latter good?

The gear grind stuff isn't active yet. Usually when there is an event (like the FF14 event going on right now) there are multiplayer versions of the quests you can do to grind the event currency, but in the case of the FF14 one, there is only the single-player ones. When the raid comes along next week, you might be able to grind stones infinitely from that in the multiplayer. I didn't partake in the raids until later on the JP ver so I don't know how the very first one was run. There will also be multiplayer awakening materials quests that rotate in and out.

The PVP rewards are mainly crafting and weapon/armor upgrade stuff. Always good to have.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Patware posted:

I think the going advice right now is to reroll until you get at least one of the top-end URs (Mediena or Englebert (or Ayaka but apparently it's a while until having a good healer is useful)) and then make the choice between pulling on the current banner or hoarding for either Orlandeau or the FF7 collab I'm hearing about.

But that's coming from a pure F2P. I'm loath to do anything but give myself as many chances to get Orlandeau as possible.

I mean, Ayaka does shine the most when the Porcelain Tower dungeon comes around, but she has been the MVP for a lot of early battles as her limit break is nearly always ready and heals the whole group to full in the beginning. She gets comet pretty early on too, so you can just put her on that job and she will walk around nuking things and using cure when needed.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mugaaz posted:

The biggest problem with Ayaka is her AI is absolute poo poo. She also doesn't really bring anything to the table when it comes to farming. This makes her pointless until we have content that is difficult enough to require manual play. The only thing she is good for right now is teaming up with Engelbert in Arena. That strategy is actually really strong if your Engelbert is tanky enough and your Ayaka isn't getting hit.

It seems like the mistake the AI makes (and it kinda makes this with everyone) is positioning. She will cast spells and get either too separated from the rest of the team so she isn't in range when she needs to cure someone or she will put herself in danger. The AI is really bad when it comes to not putting characters in danger.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So far in the JP ver, one limited-time free MR character has come back (about a week or so ago). None of the URs have though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If you are in the guild, do your guild battles. All you havta do is click on a team weaker than you, let it auto battle, then repeat one more time every day between 2pm and 11:59pm PST.

We are losing battles that should be easy wins because people are not participating.