Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

What is a virtual race? Is NASCAR just playing Mario Kart now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

"Ultravenous" sounds like it would hurt a lot.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

"Friends of Vlad" sounds like a 1950's euphemism for vampires.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Hihohe posted:

Well. TECHNICALLY wasnt it the nazi government that did the holocaust so it was legal for them. Therfore not a crime.

War crimes are crimes, dude, it's right there in the name.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

If someone is a "double traitor" doesn't that mean they're back on your side?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Anyone who had actually met Socrates would be first in line to tear down his statues. Dude was so widely reviled in Athens that they executed him just so he'd stop annoying people.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Are you saying that if he had an SA account he would never stop posting?

They'd need someone on the mod staff who's whole job was to ban his reregs.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

FFT posted:

Where does this spirit energy go? Obviously it can't be measured, duh

What if I'm "taking one for the team", so to speak, spreading all of my spirit energy to the needy?

how can I turn this into a call to masturbate more often?

Everyone tug your puds to lend Goku your energy!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Wouldn't Obi One be the original non clone?

That would just be Obi.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Like, completely off topic, but is there a video game that you think has a good political message?

Metal Gear Solid is pretty staunchly anti-war and pro-tight male butts, so that one.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

Thought he meant Unreal Tournament and was totally on his side.

M-M-M-MONSTER PISS

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Sometimes I forget that "get the strap" can refer to guns and I was really confused by this.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Nutting really hard while firing a gun at a speedboat driven by a swarm of rats and experiencing the full spectrum of human emotion

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Most people who like Harry Potter have literally no idea about any of Rowling's opinions about anything.

I dunno, I read those books in middle school and when I got to the part about all the wizard banks being run by hook-nosed goblins that hoard gold coins, I had a pretty good idea about at least some of her opinions.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Paul Bearer, Peter Coffin, Patricia Headstone, Pendleton Mausoleum

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

'she's so real she divorced me!!!'

"You wouldn't know her. Her lawyer's Canadian."

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Didn't Disney just spend a couple billion helping make it legal to jail and murder gay kids in Florida? Shouldn't these people be going hog wild for Disney right now?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Skwirl posted:

What? My understanding is they made a public statement against new "don't say gay" laws but not a strong enough one for a bunch of their employees.

Disney poured a ton of money into the passing the Don't Say Gay bill.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Eh, it's a little more than that. One of Gaston's henchmen is pretty explicitly queer-coded throughout the film. There's a scene when the furniture characters are fighting off the villagers, Mme Garderobe (the wardrobe) pulls dresses over the three henchmen -- two of them run off, embarrassed, but the other looks down at the dress he's wearing and sheepishly smiles, and Mme. Garderobe gives him kind of a knowing "you're welcome" look. Then in the finale that guy is shown dancing with another man.

A lazy joke about all gay men being drag queens? Wow, thank you so much, Disney!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Splash Attack posted:

no, there’s these three other dudes in addition to LeFou, and they’re the ones that get dressed up as women. LeFou has a heart to heart with Mrs. Potts about why he should leave Gaston because he deserves better.

LeFou was billed as the first gay character in the disney movies where he’s supposed to be in love with Gaston but it’s all subtext. then at the ending he’s dancing with a woman but the henchman who enjoyed being in drag suddenly cuts in and dances with LeFou while they stare passionately at each other for like 2 seconds in a scene that could be cut out.

i don’t think it was bad with what they did with LeFou in the live action as he’s not a complete idiot like in the animated version. he’s just someone who is completely blinded by adoration of Gaston, but acting like making him gay was a major milestone was not it lmao. the movie really tried to seem inclusive and complex, but it’s an incredibly shallow effort lmao.

The joke is still "put the human being in a dress". I know Disney owns all the franchises and franchises are all that matters these days so we have to give them a pass and blame everything on the devious Chinese, but gently caress. I would prefer Disney to go back to pretending people like me do not exist. It was genuinely less insulting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

Harry potter was before she got the brainworms. More recently, she wrote a book entirely about a man who dresses up as a woman to enter women's bathrooms and murder them.

The banker goblins and house elves and heroic incel stalker character were before brainworms?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Iliad is literally bronze age comic books. Shakespeare was poo poo you went to see in the cinema with sticky seats. Who cares? There's no reason to elevate old crap over modern crap just because it existed longer.

It's less about elevating one thing over another and more about desperately wanting to talk about anything other than the same three goddamn franchises for another 40 years.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I don't understand why this is has to be some sort of "high art/low art" culture war. Just watch or read or play or even just think about anything other than superheroes and Star Wars for one week. Please. I don't care if its classical literature or airport novels or even just a cool bug you see on the sidewalk. Anything other than Batman for just a little while.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

It would literally change nothing so I don’t get peoples weird obsession with this.

People are going to read the fiction they like and trying to make them like the fiction you personally like is ultimately pointless

I don't care if they like what I like. I was born in 1988. I've never lived in a world where people weren't constantly talking about Batman, Spider-Man and Star Wars. I just want a loving break.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Splash Attack posted:

ah so you would like to hear about my sonic fanfiction

Let me cue up some Crush 40 first.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Go watch everything everywhere all at once regardless

That movie doesn't have a Spider-Man in it, telling me to watch it is a direct attack on my moral character. Please apologize to me and Mr. Peter Parker immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

It's what you oughtn't to tweet but you tweet anyway