Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

wizzardstaff posted:

The right is getting better at manual dexterity and it's making the left nervous.

The idle thoughts of a corpus callosotomy patient?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Tony Phillips posted:

Couple new ones from the one person I know insane enough to get me to post in this thread....

This morning:

Which led me down the "Haven't checked his wall in a while" path where I found this:

What the hell is this "using 'da' followed by an unhashed tag" gimmick? Is it some sort of russia-baiting?

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
That's... quite a personal brand.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

I often visit a hundred-year-old office building that has that exact same pattern molded as trim around the elevators in the lobby.

Architecture of the 1920s may be a bad thing to look to if you want to avoid poo poo that later became associated with nazis.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
What the he'll:

This was shared by somebody I knew in high school. Name was censored in the original too.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
The real IOSM are the impressive number of people who replied to this. Getting hilariously close to "your werewolf name is the third digit of your social security number followed by your date of birth":

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

goblin week posted:

Why would you even originate a thing like this if your result is „Thomas” though. That sucks and isn’t even a proper last name

The two notable American businessmen named Dave Thomas might disagree, but I'm pretty sure the answer is to encourage other people with rarer grandmother's-maiden-names to answer so you can add it to your bank security questions spreadsheet.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Check out this hot legal take:

I'm having fun imagining a world in which people are obligated to complete transactions with bank notes in any condition and have no legal recourse if the notes themselves are, say, contaminated with radioactive waste or previously used to retrieve dog poop.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

tbf to the whole no cash thing, underbanking is a thing and a lot of under privliage people dont have bank accounts.

iirc NYC had to pass a law banning some places for trying to go credit / debit only.

According to the snopes article about that post, there are states and jurisdictions that require businesses accept cash. San Francisco is one of them. Mississippi is not. This guy in a later, less widely shared post backpedaled from "this has the force of law" to "pretty please". It sucks either way because the people on both sides of the counter in poor communities are at a higher risk of covid, at least judging by the per capita infection maps that light up in the Black Belt and the Navajo nation. Not that it matters to Mississippi senator Chad McMahan who I'm sure is posturing for partisanship points.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Yes from now on I will only subscribe to the public health opinions of people who can't tell the difference between bacteria and viruses.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

I'm still irrationally enraged at Americans using "period" for the literal sense and "full stop" for the figurative one. I like to imagine everybody doing this has no idea they're talking about punctuation.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

you would literally die if you heard me talk eye arrgh elle

Like I even think language prescriptivism is dumb but this one feature of modern english just triggers my latent pedantry for some mysterious reason.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

"Online autism clout". :(

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Just holy poo poo at the idea that claiming to have autism gives you internet cool points or something. Some people really internalized that time in 2005 they read the Wikipedia article on asperger syndrome and it seemed to tell them they were smarter than everybody else while giving them a convenient excuse for being poorly socialized.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Burger king's entire business is built around a conveyor belt gas grill. Minimum wage worker puts in frozen patties on one side, cooked patties come out the other with grill marks from the conveyer belt. Turning frozen patties into cooked ones is not the difficult-to-automate portion of this process.

E: like imagine having a laundry robot who just washes your pants in the sink and can't fold.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

"Intercontinental ballistic mission"

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Gross Dude posted:

This is some Ayn Rand stuff. In Atlas Shrugged, John Galt keeps saying objectivism is all based on A=A but never really explains.

I think the 2+2 thing is a 1984 reference. The fact that Ayn Rand may have cribbed a better author like Orwell should surprise nobody. Both of them had a grievance with the way the CPSU attempted to exert total control over the historic narrative in the USSR. Comparing this to how it's unpopular to say racist and transphobic poo poo in academia is of course just a huge persecution complex circle jerk.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Are websites social media? The alternative weekly in the town I grew up in has always had a fw:fw:re:fw:fw: type of vibe, and I happened to get a link to, well, this:

My neck is still sore from the quick trip from yawn to yikes and back.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Regalingualius posted:

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

She made her career with an "actually mccarthyism good" book and it was kind of obvious then that she just gets off on saying maximally offensive poo poo and pissing people off, Fred Phelps style. Knowing that still didn't prepare me for this.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Am I the only one who thought they were vertebrae?

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

quote:

Editor of 'For the New Christian Intellectual.'

Great. He sees himself as Ayn Rand for Christians.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Here have this artifacty thing from somebody who was in high school in 2001:

I must be a cynic for only remembering a rash of hate crimes, unprecedented domestic wiretapping, and ultimately a pair of shiny new wars.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

The Idiots on Social Media Thread posted:

It seems like it's always a bad sign when a quote is attributed to only a piece of media, not a specific character or maybe an author.

e: context

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Nothing like a nice word salad with a zesty horseshoe theory dressing.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Here, I saw this smug poo poo today (shared by someone in their mid-30s???) now you have to, too:

I'm surprised they didn't reach for this mythical "balancing of the checkbook" everybody of a certain age sees as the highest educational attainment imaginable.

E: how much you want to bet they were fighting autocorrect to gloat about just how incurious they are about youth culture by misspelling tiktok?

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
I can't make the earth cooler, but I can make some corn in my cooler:

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

this sounds fine? it's basically just steaming them, which yeah, is a good way to cook corn on the cob. it's not something i'd do at home but it's a plausible tailgate thing.

It freaks me out to see someone boiling something in just any old plastic vessel. It's possible I'm just unreasonably squeamish, but that makes me feel the same way I feel when I've soldered and haven't washed my hands yet.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Also "fix my AC". God forbid somebody want to survive the murderous hellsummers of this damaged planet.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

The SA word filter has wrecked my brain and I will never be able to see "gently caress" and not think "gently caress".

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Captain Monkey posted:

Kennedy was president when we got to the moon

Secret puppetmaster president? He was very much dead by 1969.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
I wonder if this guy read Into the Wild and thought it sounded great. Starving to death is awesome if people spend years arguing over exactly how you died, making movies about it, and arguing that your spirit is commendable even if you died an embarrassing and preventable death.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
I guess it's more "idiots on traditional media" but when I was a kid I somehow got ahold of a mid-60s world atlas that included an entire "races of the world" section with that whole caucasoid/negroid/mongoloid racial theory. I think the assertion was that, since the americas were settled later than asia by people who came through asia, everyone in the western hemisphere before european colonization was "mongoloid". No recollection of which race various brown people from northern africa/southern asia were supposed to be. That world atlas also had a surprisingly detailed section on space launch vehicles/ICBMs of the world for some reason that probably made more sense during the cold war/space race.

Edit:

ultrafilter posted:

Weren't Arabs considered to be white up until the 1970s?
Now that I think of it, this was totally it! Desi and Iranian people as well.

Stack Machine has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Apr 10, 2022

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

You're in luck! I have people on the inside (also his profile is public because he's a dumbass).

"Christopher Supertramp". I loving called it.

Stack Machine posted:

I wonder if this guy read Into the Wild and thought it sounded great. Starving to death is awesome if people spend years arguing over exactly how you died, making movies about it, and arguing that your spirit is commendable even if you died an embarrassing and preventable death.

The wikipedia article on the Into the Wild guy posted:

Christopher Johnson McCandless, also known by his self-made nickname "Alexander Supertramp",[3] was an American adventurer...

That book is catnip to some dudes for some reason. It really captivated me in my early 20s. I just went on a lot of ill-advised solo camping trips by motorcycle though. Never tried to go for a good old fashioned Goon Walk.

e: f, b

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

I called it a full day before you!

Well color me thoroughly owned. Guess I took the bus past your post the first time.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Push El Burrito posted:

That "baby living in pee" thing is straight up just a South Park joke.

Amniotic fluid is recycled through the fetal digestive/urinary system and the bladder fills and empties repeatedly as part of development. It really is all piss in the same reductive way that "lol honey is bee barf".

Bit of a jump to get from there to whatever the gently caress this is, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Read After Burning posted:

..I would eat the Chick'n'Skin, I bet it's delicious. :colbert: I love pork rinds, particularly the Mexican brands.

When I buy whole chickens I like to render the fat for cooking and eat the fried skins with a little creole seasoning on them. It's a nice treat and quite cheap if you enjoy spending time in the kitchen. One 5#-or-so chicken yields a reasonable snack for 2-3 people.