Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Skwirl posted:

Again, people running for congress with no chance in hell of winning. I looked her up she's running in John Lewis' district.

Also a former Real Housewife star and served time for running a stolen car ring (later pardoned by Trump). She also apparently gave birth to her child while in jail, handcuffed to a hospital bed, which is deeply hosed up but I would think it would make her guiding principle prison reform, not being anti-abortion.

apparently she is involved in prison reform

https://www.theakf.org/

it's framed as coming from a chuddy religious perspective of personal empowerment and job placement, but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Skwirl posted:

Again, people running for congress with no chance in hell of winning. I looked her up she's running in John Lewis' district.

Also a former Real Housewife star and served time for running a stolen car ring (later pardoned by Trump). She also apparently gave birth to her child while in jail, handcuffed to a hospital bed, which is deeply hosed up but I would think it would make her guiding principle prison reform, not being anti-abortion.

She's MLK's niece's goddaughter and as far as I can tell has no actual relation to the King family. I'm not sure why she uses the King family name but it doesn't seem to be in good faith.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/tereseaimee/status/1275381209523052544

Will no-one rid us of economic anxiety concern trolling from self-avowed leftists? :rolleyes:

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Strasserites aren't leftists

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Strasserites aren't leftists

I said "self-avowed" and her podcast is called "whatisleftpod" :shrug:

Edit: Here, have some nazi babies:

https://twitter.com/anonymouscommie/status/1275544084413898752

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Jun 24, 2020

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

https://twitter.com/tereseaimee/status/1275381209523052544

Will no-one rid us of economic anxiety concern trolling from self-avowed leftists? :rolleyes:

Divorced from context, this is a WorstPersonMadeAGoodPoint.txt

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

MizPiz posted:

Divorced from context, this is a WorstPersonMadeAGoodPoint.txt

But the economic reason was literally "slavery makes our economy work and we'll collapse without blatantly violating basic human rights" though.

E: Holy poo poo that redtext post combo though

d3lness has a new favorite as of 00:48 on Jun 24, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The civil war was to protect a racist economic system supported entirely because it was racist.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

"If you take this incredibly stupid and debunked theory made by literal Nazis to court poor southern whites out of context, it's actually pretty wise."

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

d3lness posted:

But the economic reason was literally "slavery makes our economy work and we'll collapse without blatantly violating basic human rights" though.

And the north's response was "we can have a functioning economy and blatant violations of basic human rights without overt slavery". While it's true that the south wanted to keep slavery even though all the evidence showed that it made production significantly more inefficient, the north's concerns were with inefficiencies of slavery, not the inhumanity. The fact that the southern aristocracy was left largely intact after the war should clue you into how little the war was about fighting injustice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MizPiz posted:

And the north's response was "we can have a functioning economy and blatant violations of basic human rights without overt slavery". While it's true that the south wanted to keep slavery even though all the evidence showed that it made production significantly more inefficient, the north's concerns were with inefficiencies of slavery, not the inhumanity. The fact that the southern aristocracy was left largely intact after the war should clue you into how little the war was about fighting injustice.

The North's opinions on slavery being inefficient are mostly immaterial since they aren't the ones who started the loving war.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

MizPiz about three posts away from saying the Irish were slaves too

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just walking around with a t-shirt with a massive valknot on it. Definitely not for Nazis and just worn by people with Norwegian roots I’m sure.
I mean you could focus on the valknot or you could just look at the pattern of swastikas around it. Unless I’m missing something.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Skwirl posted:

The North's opinions on slavery being inefficient are mostly immaterial since they aren't the ones who started the loving war.

It's pretty material given the fact that when they won the war, they basically gave the south carte blanche on what a "slaveless economy" looks like. There even concerted efforts by former Union-supporters who fought against Reconstruction and supported Jim Crow laws. You can't pretend a war was fought for justice when the injustice still exists and the people responsible for the injustice still retain all their power.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

MizPiz posted:

The United States as a whole saw Africans as lesser people, yes. This does not change the fact that the north’s seemingly majority opinion was that slavery was in fact wrong. And the back and forth of enacting/enforcing abolition was what incited secession, which is why the war started. It also became the sort of stated goal of the war.

The entire thing is full of lovely people with lovely motives, but it was all absolutely rooted in the fight over whether the United States would continue to allow slavery.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I wish the north won the civil war

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ugato posted:

The United States as a whole saw Africans as lesser people, yes. This does not change the fact that the north’s seemingly majority opinion was that slavery was in fact wrong. And the back and forth of enacting/enforcing abolition was what incited secession, which is why the war started. It also became the sort of stated goal of the war.

The entire thing is full of lovely people with lovely motives, but it was all absolutely rooted in the fight over whether the United States would continue to allow slavery.

And the answer was resounding "kind of, yeah"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MizPiz posted:

It's pretty material given the fact that when they won the war, they basically gave the south carte blanche on what a "slaveless economy" looks like. There even concerted efforts by former Union-supporters who fought against Reconstruction and supported Jim Crow laws. You can't pretend a war was fought for justice when the injustice still exists and the people responsible for the injustice still retain all their power.

I don't pretend the war was fought for justice, the war was fought to continue an injustice and the people who wanted to continue the injustice lost.

T-man posted:

I wish the north won the civil war

The North won the war, they lost the peace.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Still amazed that you're seriously attempting to use marxist theory to justify Lost Cause bullshit

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

MizPiz posted:

Inefficient? Not in any respect they actually cared about. Sure, lots of slaves died, but from the south's perspective that was totally acceptable. Growth-wise, they still had massive swathes of under-used land, and as I recall there was also starting to be a push to use slaves in more non-agricultural sectors. Efficiency was not a limit on economic growth in the slightest: if you were a wealthy land-owner who wanted to make more money, you didn't worry about how to optimally use what you already had. You just bought more land and more slaves.

Don't kid yourself: slavery was massively profitable. The idea that slavery was on the path to getting pushed out for economic reasons was invented as part of the Lost Cause mythology, and has no basis in reality.

Karia has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Jun 24, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/ZakNguyen/status/1275496550681194498

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hollandia posted:

I mean you could focus on the valknot or you could just look at the pattern of swastikas around it. Unless I’m missing something.

I often visit a hundred-year-old office building that has that exact same pattern molded as trim around the elevators in the lobby.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Karia posted:

Inefficient? Not in any respect they actually cared about. Sure, lots of slaves died, but from the south's perspective that was totally acceptable. Growth-wise, they still had massive swathes of under-used land, and as I recall there was also starting to be a push to use slaves in more non-agricultural sectors. Efficiency was not a limit on economic growth in the slightest: if you were a wealthy land-owner who wanted to make more money, you didn't worry about how to optimally use what you already had. You just bought more land and more slaves.

Don't kid yourself: slavery was massively profitable. The idea that slavery was on the path to getting pushed out for economic reasons was invented as part of the Lost Cause mythology, and has no basis in reality.

The value of slavery to the Southern economy would be in the billions in modern dollars. Estimates suggest over half the value of the Southern economy was tied up in slave labor. It was literally what the Southern economy was balanced on; people who owned over 500 slaves had an economic power equivalent to a modern billionaire, and someone with even a mild plantation was in the top one percent of earners in those states. Secession was largely driven not by simple white supremacy, but by capitalists who happened to be really into enslaving black people and freaked out at the prospect of not being the wealthiest men in America if they lost their enslaved labor force.

It's not very different from the modern 1% who immediately begin funding quasi-fascist politicians and lobbying to keep their oppressive labor practices from being abolished as soon as they get told that they might have to settle for only $5 million in profit a year.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Powered Descent posted:

I often visit a hundred-year-old office building that has that exact same pattern molded as trim around the elevators in the lobby.

I am an ELEVATOR ENGINEER and I eat MAC AND CHEESE and if you don’t also work for OTIS then you wouldn’t understand!!

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

Architecture of the 1920s may be a bad thing to look to if you want to avoid poo poo that later became associated with nazis.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

EL BROMANCE posted:

I am an ELEVATOR ENGINEER and I eat MAC AND CHEESE and if you don’t also work for OTIS then you wouldn’t understand!!

Schindlers Lifts supremacy. Otis is the name of the pug from a kids movie not a capable machine.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Bit of a difference from a 2020 t-shirt, but yeah that must be a bit :wtc:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MizPiz posted:

source your quotes

Skwirl posted:

economic efficiency is such a staggeringly online dumbfuck way to interpret the causes of the civil war that i'm surprised bitcoin hasn't been mentioned yet

regardless, racists have used the "wage slavery is the same as chattel slavery" argument for decades so i'm not surprised to see it popping up among twitter theorists who generally produce more words than they consume

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 02:55 on Jun 24, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Hollandia posted:

Bit of a difference from a 2020 t-shirt, but yeah that must be a bit :wtc:

I was gonna be like "that's just a geometric border!"

Then I zoomed in, and, uh, yeah those are swastikas.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

luxury handset posted:

source your quotes

economic efficiency is such a staggeringly online dumbfuck way to interpret the causes of the civil war that i'm surprised bitcoin hasn't been mentioned yet

regardless, racists have used the "wage slavery is the same as chattel slavery" argument for decades so i'm not surprised to see it popping up among twitter theorists who generally produce more words than they consume

p sure mizpiz used to post on kiwifarms so

StillFullyTerrible has a new favorite as of 04:13 on Jun 24, 2020

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

If this is what I think it was it was full of awful people telling stories about how their families don't want to spend time with them anymore and people making fun of them. Too bad she deleted it.

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1275431018581934085

Somebody asked a couple pages ago about her, and she a grifter who ran in the primary for Pelosi's seat. She did not do anything close to well, but that just makes the grift stronger.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bugsy posted:

If this is what I think it was it was full of awful people telling stories about how their families don't want to spend time with them anymore and people making fun of them. Too bad she deleted it.

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1275431018581934085

Somebody asked a couple pages ago about her, and she a grifter who ran in the primary for Pelosi's seat. She did not do anything close to well, but that just makes the grift stronger.

Wow, the other Republican running for that seat got 4 times as many votes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I thought it was a joke at first! But then the guy deleted it and made a different dumb post in its place afterwards so this is the only one I have on hand to show it.

https://twitter.com/MrMidnai/status/1275175547203706887

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I refuse to believe that's not a joke.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The first playable female character in videogames was left paddle in pong.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's also sorta bullshit because Samus Aran 1) probably isn't the first female protagonist either, and 2) no one knew she was a woman in the first game unless they beat it and I call bullshit that anyone actually beat it before another game with a female protagonist came out.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Samus was the first trans woman in videogames.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Skwirl posted:

It's also sorta bullshit because Samus Aran 1) probably isn't the first female protagonist either, and 2) no one knew she was a woman in the first game unless they beat it and I call bullshit that anyone actually beat it before another game with a female protagonist came out.

Athena and Psycho Soldier were the same year as Metroid at least but who knows which was first

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I mean, Ms. Pac-Man beat all three of them.

Also Mach Rider, weirdly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I mean, Ms. Pac-Man beat all three of them.

Also Mach Rider, weirdly enough.

How the gently caress did I forget Ms Pacman, the better Pacman game.