Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Blast from the past man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

jjack229 posted:

Written in January 2001

That article's author absolutely borrowed Verhoeven's time machine.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Everytime I go to China, well, you may disagree with the means of the Cultural Revolution but you can't argue with its ends. China is an incredibly *new* country. Even in the hinterlands.

Ethnic enclaves excluded, obviously. But China is, err, working on that part. Once again, I'm disagreeing with the means and in a multicultural world, I'm disagreeing with the ends.

Depending on where you are and who you talk to, China was either created and born with Dengism in the '80s or is 5000 years old. Like Turkey, most locations and most Chinese also embody both positions within themselves.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

InediblePenguin posted:

How the gently caress do you read the Bible and come away with that loving filth, I want to ask, but i know the answer is literally "none of them read the Bible, they get told by a preacher what to believe and HE'S basing that on what makes him money"

Why would you care what's in the Bible? Doesn't it make more sense to look at what most Christians actually believe? The combination of Christianity and capitalism is baked into virtually all Protestant sects and it absolutely part of the orthodoxy. It's less prevalent in the orthopraxic ethnic sects but the largest of those (Catholicism) adopts a lot of Protestant orthodoxy when their adherents become white so I wouldn't expect much for the future.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Skwirl posted:

The Elizabeth Warren thing was dumb and offensive, but it's no where near the same as what Rachel Dolezal and Jessica Krug did. Warren never claimed not to be white, or deny her white privilege, or use her claimed identity as Native American to silence actual Native Americans who disagreed with her.

In many ways Warren is worse. Dolezal actively took part in the African American community and sought to advance members of that community. Warren claimed native ancestry when it suited her but actively rejected advancing native concerns while she has been in government.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

dialhforhero posted:

Or even better: "don't sexualize people"

Nah, sexualizing people is great. It just needs to be done in the right venue and in certain ritualized ways. In college a friend of mine briefly dated a dude who was terrified of sexualizing/objectifying her up to and including during the act of sex. She tried to work with him on it for a bit because she thought he was a good guy but the relationship collapsed for obvious reasons.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Data Graham posted:

People who call mozzarella "mootz"

What's wrong with that?

It's one of the interesting facets of American Italian cultures is that the places they are from and languages they speak are basically all extinct now except in America. A friend of mine grew up in an Italian speaking family, living in an Italian enclave. When he went to the part of Italy his family is from, he could basically only speak to 80+ year olds because mass media, conscription, fascism and capitalism had made his language extinct. There are a lot of real and cool cultures there. A massive amount of cross-breeding with the Polish coreligionists. Since Polish and Italian cultures are pretty different, the Italian cultures assimilated the Polish. That's also part of why the Italian part is so brash, it had to be to survive.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
That's fair. It's just frustrating to see things like Starbucks coming along and now all the johnny-come-latelies drinking capuccinos look down on people who have been drinking espresso and pronouncing it ex-presso for generations. Arthur Avenue was taken over by the Albanians and now the Mexicans so there are almost no clear Italian enclaves left. It's just another homogenized white culture in America.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Which bit of Italy? I'd love to know more about this.

Somewhere in Bari. Not near the American military base! As far away from that as you can be and still be in Bari (it comes up a bit since Airforce people will be like, "My dad/uncle/etc was stationed in Bari!"). I'll see if I can casually get more info but like gently caress I'm gonna call a drinking buddy who goes on and on about Italy and be like, "tell me more about Italy". It sets a bad precedent.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Hollandia posted:

At a risk of the classic goon food derail... post the instantpot recipes.

The cool thing about instapots is that they have three things: a pressure regulator, to control and maintain pressure inside the cooker; a vent pipe, which allows excess pressure to be released; and a sealing ring, which creates a pressure-tight seal between the lid and the body.

So, you have your special sauce. That's totally open, red, white, plenty of options! You can find plenty of sources online. Timing is important, so take your trusted Casio F-91W and make sure you know when things are ready to pop. Add some other things from your kitchen to the pot. It doesn't really matter what. Like, you could literally add rusty old nails. The Instantpot is a solid brand and will absolutely make anything taste good. After that just pressurize it, put it where you want it and let your watch do the magic.

Best cooking implement ever.

Consider for the moment, this recipe:

WHAT IS IN THIS BUTTER CHICKEN RECIPE?
Canned Tomatoes
5-6 cloves Garlic
Minced Fresh Ginger
Turmeric
Cayenne Pepper
Smoked Paprika
Kosher Salt
Garam Masala
Ground Cumin
Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs, (or use skinless chicken breast, bone-in, or whatever works for you. If frozen, add 1-2 minutes to total time)
Butter cut into cubes, (use coconut oil if dairy-free)
Heavy Cream, (use full-fat coconut milk if dairy-free)
Garam Masala spice mix
chopped cilantro

Throw it all in there and it basically takes care of itself. Delicious dish. I recommend using more water than is in this recipe but ymmv.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

snergle posted:

im gonna try this thanks. i love butter chicken but i can never make the sauce good.

Go with God into glory brother!

https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/

Feel free to use that take on my recipe if you want to actually make butter chicken.

It tastes extra good next to mail boxes.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Syd Midnight posted:

This is a few pages back but "electroshock therapy" and "electric shock therapy" have very little in common besides the word "therapy".

One takes place in Denton, USA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3M3jcZvkg0

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

ultrafilter posted:

OP not the idiot, but a glimpse into the hellworld that is legal practice.

https://twitter.com/kept_simple/status/1305296104964190208

Not their fault that he is doing the profession wrong.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Plenty of Europeans use the politics of lesser peoples like Slavs, Turks and Americans as a way to elide their own racism.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Skwirl posted:

See also, any time Romanis come up on twitter.

I feel like that's just them being racist as opposed to them demonstrating how evolved and beyond racism they are by being super racist.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Only assholes have pride

Someone more clever than me could make a killer double entendre out of this statement.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

there wolf posted:

It's always telling how they frame it as a mental health issue and then pivot to 'so everyone just has to deal' instead of calling for better mental health treatment.

I've developed a weird parasocial relationship with Chris Evans by watching Sunshine too many times while really drunk and high followed by interview clips of him having just absolutely nothing but distain for the whole Marvel thing. I imagine it will fade once I can go to proper bars again and develop weird boundary-crossing social relationships with other patrons.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
I think there is a case to be made for studying bad faith arguments so you can identify and dismiss them. Since holocaust denial is a particularly egregious and obvious form of this, you can focus on rhetorical flourishes that make this kind of thing work.

I also think that it would be extremely naive to actually go and make that case since the teenage population you'd want to use it on would have a lot of edgelords who would take it the wrong way and just give baddies ammo for both ironic and unironic holocaust denial.

We need to focus more on rhetoric as a society and while I can see how in an idealized intellectual world this seems like a perfect set-up for that, in the squishy real world it is a horrible idea.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
You could use Chaplinsky v New Hampshire to argue that on the grounds of fighting words but subsequent cases would make it harder. Under Terminiello vs Chicago you'd have to argue that Nazi speech represents a clear and present danger to yourself (I think it does but lol in a 6/3 decision) but with Texas v Johnson you could arguee that Nazi speech is a personal insult or an invitation to engage in fisticuffs. There is strong precedent for punching Nazis, so by espousing Nazi ideology people are inviting themselves to be punched.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
My experience with the Bronx public library is that there is always the "dude who is furiously masturbating to hentai" and "the dude who is grunting reading Drudge Report while wearing giant headphones" and they both always get to the library before you do. Even if you get there when it opens, it's one of those mysteries of the universe.

It's always a hard decision where you sit in relation to them and you have to rely on other known entities where it's like "I'll sit next to the masturbator today if you listen to the chud talk at you around lunch time."

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Is his name Richard Rorty? Because he is about to become post structural.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Let's circle back to that femboy who got banned from Twitter or YouTube or whatever. What's there name? I want to follow the drama.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
how to set up only fans account without giving them my credit card information

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Fried cauliflower is dope, Buffalo sauce works (if you want to go veg not veeg) but a lemon tahini sauce is even better. Hummus is good. Chips and guac is good. Add some olives and grapes and maybe a nice salad. If you want to have a little slavery, as a treat, some tasteful cheeses and membrillo.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

Be fun to see the big labels over the fresh department at the store. BEEF. PORK. CHICKEN. PLANT-BASED. HORRORS OF THE FLESH.

PROTIEN FROM THE SEA!

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

rodbeard posted:

I've seen vegan shark fin. There's a kosher dim sum place in Chinatown NYC does some interesting fake meats.

There are a lot of very good vegan meat alternatives due to Buddhist influences and various fads around that. Ask for a vegetarian meal in Asia and you'll probably get something with just a little bit of meat. Explain that you are Buddhist and want a temple meal: boom, effectively vegan since milk isn't common. You can do a lot with seitan (mock duck is awesome) and algae (which captures the flavorless jelly-mess of sharkfin very well).

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

OwlFancier posted:

I could go for a religion where god is a really good loaf of bread and you eat him, and most of the tenets are about making bread.

Good Russian rye is good so I'm sure there are prozymite churches out there with good bread. Probably old rite though.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Improbable Lobster posted:

Early risers loving love to assume that everyone else is lazier than them, regardless of other sleep rhythms existing

In a way they are right, it's just that their priorities are always super hosed up. There is nothing to do on the morning because everyone else is asleep so they 1) work out and 2) start working early (which means they work longer). I'm a big time night owl. Late at night I'm socializing with friends, hanging out at bars, etc. Infinitely more rewarding than working out or working but much less valued in our society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Skwirl posted:

People just unwilling to realize we should have nationalized railroads decades ago because it's a vital part of our infrastructure but there's no way to run it both safely and at a profit. It's like, what if we only had for profit roads.

APPD remains the best political party with simple goals like:

Right to unemployment with full salary

Youth pension instead of retirement pension

Abolishment of compulsory education

Creation of centers for physical love, so-called Mitfickzentralen (literally "fuckpooling centers")

Abolition of police

Legalization of all drugs

Abolition of the right to demonstrate with prior announcement (abolition of distinction between permitted and not permitted)

Totale Rückverdummung: Reconstitute the German borders from 1237

Incelshok Na has a new favorite as of 04:17 on Feb 15, 2023