Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Knormal posted:

For anyone who hasn't heard the story beyond just her name, Typhoid Mary's a really good analog to the modern anti-quarantine protesters. Even after she was identified as the carrier and informed what she was doing she wouldn't stay in. She just really loved spreading typhoid.

I remember reading about Typhoid Mary a few months ago and thinking "I can't imagine anyone being this selfish these days" and boy the last few weeks have really opened my eyes to the amount of garbage people I live with.

Fishstick has a new favorite as of 13:22 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

nexus6 posted:

Aren't pretty much all those points either demonstrably false and/or twisted from what he actually said/did? Also, love that he refuses any debate at all from the outset.

I read the one about the hospital ships and that's where I already bailed. Those things have been ready and active across the world for literally decades, there's no "getting them ready".

A 3 year old also asks a lot of "Why" questions and it doesn't make them smart either.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

SerialKilldeer posted:

There's also some Christians who claim that Christianity isn't a religion, but a "connection to God" or something along those lines. I'm not sure what the difference is supposed to be.

It's the convenient way in which they can still label themselves as a Christian (and therefore Are Good People) without having to actually bother with pesky Christian tenets that require effort, time, or sacrifice.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Uncanny

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Black people: Please stop killing us, we can’t take this anymore
Police: McDonald’s was too slow making my breakfast sandwich and nobody thanked me. We can’t take this anymore.

https://twitter.com/tkag2020_ann/status/1273075677454098436?s=21

Definitely want someone who falls apart over an egg mcmuffin to hold a badge and a gun

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

What stupid thing are the Gamers angry about now that they're sending Bailey death threats?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Literally calmhitler.jpg

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Hollandia posted:

Actually, while this is relevant, what's the Eco quote about the way fascists use language? Was talking about it with a mate today and couldn't find it.

Did you mean the Sartre quote about bad faith arguing?

“Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.”

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Because that tracks with the "the poor are abusin our tax monies" vibe the sun has going?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Is that implying obama eats dogs because he's black? or because he's a Democrat? I mean theyre both awful, one is just extra awful. I think.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Its a good thing Americans are known for their healthy lifestyles and underlying conditions such as diabetes, obesity, and asthma are very rare.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Takoluka posted:

*investigating a murder* This wasn't really a homicide, because the guy had high blood pressure.

Literally one of the talking points around George Floyd. "The cops didn't kill him, he just had a heart issue while they were strangling him"

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Trump survives -> see it's not that bad! Democrat Hoax Virus!
Trump Dies -> PencePocalypse/Democrat Assassins!

Assuming he actually has covid and isn't just using it to duck out of the rest of the debates, that seems like a very on-brand move for Trump

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

dialhforhero posted:

The rhesus is a cool monkey.

And Reese’s are delicious.

Rhesus Pieces are an aqcuired taste

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Are minors allowed on planes unsupervised?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

How are those even articles? The min wage one is literally 3 paragraphs and is on par with a reddit comment in terms of prose

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

RoboRodent posted:

Genres are fake. Sometimes you'll get a science fiction setting but the actual story is a murder mystery or a horror. A lot of science fiction is straight up westerns in space (the term "space opera" comes from "horse opera" which is, no poo poo, an old term for westerns from when they were contemporary stories). The line between fantasy and science fiction is almost nonexistent, based more along the lines of what we think is and isn't possible, but that's arbitrary and tends to change over the years anyway.

I'll accept Bladerunner as cyberpunk, or at least cyberpunk-adjacent.

As far as Cyberpunk 2077's "working with the cops," I'm never comfortable judging a storyline when I only hear it taken out of context, and since the game is a buggy mess that's been taken off the market I'm unlikely to be able to play it myself. Maybe I should find a let's play.

I don't know what mission that poster was referring to, there's no main line mission(s) where you're forced to work with cops. You can do optional side gigs by tracking police scanner jobs where cops pay you (you are a merc after all), but nothing mandatory as far as Ive seen.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I saw a blistering takedown of Cyberpunk 2077 by a Japanese person who is fluent in both Japanese and English. A lot of the stuff presented as weird and alien is just normal Japanese culture; he called out a particular dish (a non-ramen noodle bowl? I forget, sorry) that the viewpoint character thinks of as bizarre but is just daily food in Japan. It's Orientalist (not surprising from a Western studio) as gently caress.

Do you have a link to that takedown?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

wizzardstaff posted:

Incredibly revealing that he doesn't consider money to exist anymore if it's not hoarded in an account. That's all money is, just a way to keep score. Not a means to purchase goods and services.

It gets better

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

The second B is for BYOBB

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

You mean military-age males

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Last time I was laughing at bitcoin iirc they were using the equivalent of Ireland in kwh to keep those digital beanie babies going.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

I always think back to that angry retort about how you can't just count the money left over after expenses, because expenses are what money is for.

For me it's that Washpo comic about the regular families hurt by Obamas tax plan, that showed like "Single Person, 250k income"

Edit: Found it

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Have you tried those enchroma glasses, out of curiosity? They don't work for all types of colourblindness but I think they have specific ones for deuteranopia, a friend of mine has it as well and had good results with them. Not for everyday wear but for enhancing some stuff.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, I feel like Netflix has cracked the code. Just give people the option of subs, dubs or both at the same time who even gives a gently caress you can enjoy it however you want.

Netflix is more like "We have a ton of shows for you! 2 have the subs in your language, 1 only has them in English, 1 only has Japanese captions and the others only have French subtitles". I dont know if thats just more region licensing fuckery or just Netflix being stupid about which subs to allow in multilingual countries, but its really annoying to find a show you like and then the only subs available are of no use to you.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I don't understand why the choice has to be "company can take money out of your bank" or "1960s paper checks". Can you not just wire money from your own account to your landlord/utilities manually?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why would I do either of those when I can just tell the bank “pay this much every month”.

It’s not “letting the company take money out of your bank”, it’s “giving your bank instructions to send money to the company”.

That sounds like a recurring wire transfer, rather than a direct debit ? According to what I can find DD does in fact authorise the company to initiate a transfer:

https://gocardless.com/en-us/guides/intro-to-direct-debit/guide-for-payers/ posted:

A Direct Debit authorizes someone to collect payments from your account when they are due - for example, an accountant collecting a regular fee from you, or even Netflix collecting your monthly subscription.
You give this authorization by completing a Direct Debit mandate form - also known as an ACH authorization form in the US. This can be a paper form or a web page that you complete online.

Once you authorize a company, they can automatically take payments from you (provided that they comply with certain rules).

Platystemon posted:

The U.S. version of this is that you go to your bank’s website and fill in a form.

The bank will print and mail a check to the entity you named, in the amount you named, at the address you named.

The recipient deposits it with their bank, often instantly via scanning the check, but potentially taking it physically to the bank.
:psyduck:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Can I wear my Homo Helmet in the Sissy Hypno Vortex?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Platystemon posted:

I want to hear the thread’s opinions on celeriac.

Celeriac wishes it were Kohlrabi

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

The avocado toast thing was based on one idiot real estate millionaire extrapolating a whole trend from seeing one overpriced menu item at a fancy-ish restaurant. He was immediately and roundly dunked on all across Twitter.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/may/15/australian-millionaire-millennials-avocado-toast-house

Because we live in the dumbest, most spiteful timeline, boomers continued to run with it anyway.

If you just stop eating avocado toast you too can become a selfmade millionaire like Tim Gurner

quote:

And it all began with a humble gym in the Melbourne suburb of Elwood, when Mr Gurner was just 19 years old.
“I saw an opportunity and took over the lease,” he told news.com.au.

“I didn’t even know what I was doing, to be totally honest, but it was a really good opportunity, a good spot.”

His grandfather gave him $34,000 to kickstart the project

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

It's only moldavite if it comes from the Moldau region, otherwise it's just sparkling rock

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

ElBrak posted:

The bigger the batch of food you gotta make, the more your utensils and tools look like you're about to mix together a big batch of concrete.

Those sikh kitchens in India are cool to watch for this, making curry in swimming pool sized vats using 50kg bags of spices and absurd amounts of butter

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Read After Burning posted:

Here's some rich people idiocy, also DaBaby being a terrible person yet again.

https://twitter.com/HOT97/status/1414951637567803403

Is this the same guy that was just literally tossing cash off his boat because Reasons?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Genocide is normal, so this is normal. The end!

If you read the replies (I don't know why I did, I can't help myself) the current argument seems to be "childhood disease happened a lot back then so its normal to have cemeteries outside of schools"

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Fictional pronouns, as opposed to naturally-occuring renewable ones

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Mx. posted:

I like HarmonQuest

Harmonquest is pretty great, too bad it's only on fuckin' Vudu, which nobody has.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Love a good slice of cat food and shredded cardboard pizza right now

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

https://twitter.com/JoeRhisga/status/1448235358798454787

Fellas is it gay to wave? Have you been excessively waved at by your parents, and how did it ruin you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

A St. Louis Post-Dispatch journalist found 100,000 Social Security numbers exposed in a government website, and reported the flaw to the government. They were included in the page's source, so basically accessible to anyone with a browser and knows about View Source.

Missouri state is obviously taking this very well

https://twitter.com/GovParsonMO/status/1448697768311132160
https://twitter.com/GovParsonMO/status/1448697780101394432