Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Good evening.

We interrupt your crossed animals and seventh finalized fantasies and your King Tiger show to bring you an important message.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, many social events, film releases and other various public gatherings are postponed until the end of April. It is recommended that individuals, if at all possible, should remain home and practice safe social distancing.

To alleviate your imminent boredom of isolation, and to contradict the patterns of postponement across the world, CinemaDiscusso has partnered with the creators of the Ludovico TechniqueTM to provide a thrilling distraction that challenges the intellect and boosts the immune systems with adrenaline-based stressed tests!

We call it..."The April Horror Movie Challenge!"

:neckbeard:

Want to be a participant? Interested in becoming a lab Guinea Pig (Devil's Experiment) for the Greater Good? Well congratulations! By reading this, you are now visually contractually obligated! A single post in this thread signs over all your rights as an individual, including suing Cinema Discusso (and it's affiliates) for any harm as a result of participating in the challenge. This includes Personality Disorders, Damages to Self-Esteem, Physical Manifestations, etc. (Legal Disclaimer: A full list of possible side-effects and permutations as a result of the April Horror Movie Challenge may be found on the corresponding warnings available on the Ludovico Group website.) We assure you, that no harm has befallen participants (so far).

"What is required of me for the test?"

Cinema Discusso is unable to force you (directly) to participate in any structured way. We can only provide guidelines for the most efficient testing possible. The guidelines are

Watch a Qualifying Film. The test is designed around adrenal response to danger, terror and the macabre, so please stick to movies of the Horror and Thriller genre. In previous iterations, we have allowed Mini-Series to qualify. However, this has proven to complicate the results of the test, and so it is preferred that they are abstained from this challenge. For structure, we also have determined that the cinematic experience must be 60 minutes or longer to qualify as a film. In the past, people have used a...What was it called...Masters of Horror? episodes?...as a testing material. These are also disqualified, unless they are 60 minutes or longer.

Write The Results of Your Experiment. Because of the procedures of this Test--er, "Challenge", yes--this part of the test is open to abstraction. Discuss emotional responses, discuss personal histories with the film you chose for your experiment, discuss the film-making techniques, or critical analysis of the film...Our computers and the scientists running them are highly complex, so any written discussion will be accepted. Simply posting a film experiment without your thoughts completely perverts the test results, so please take the time to write your results.

Now the Amount of Films for your experiment are up to you. However, an average of 13 Films seems to give us the clearest results. A good Guinea Pig should strive for 13, but a great Guinea Pig should stress their little souls to the brink and try and fulfill as many experiments as possible. The choice is yours! And it has absolutely no bearing on your survival! In fact, let's forget I ever mentioned survival at all!

Before you get upset at the Testing Officials reviewing the results of your experiment for not allowing your choice of testing material to qualify, consider that there are literally thousands of movies that do qualify, and you should exert your energy into just finding and watching one of those instead of arguing your point. If a Guinea Pig is found purposefully breaking a rule against the test guidelines, demerits may be handed out.

Please refrain from asking what you are being tested for. The results of your testing will be shared on a need-to-know basis. All complaints about testing can be directed to the Complaint Department.

We understand that you may need time to prepare for The April Horror Movie Test Experiment Challenge. Please understand that

The Challenge Begins April 1st @ 12AM (for the eager night owl Guinea Pigs)

And as all beautiful things must come to an end, The Challenge Ends May 1st @ 12PM (EST). That means the final test results must be posted for evaluation by the deadline.

Thank you. Now, if you'll excuse me, your regularly scheduled events will resume momentarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

More Information Will Be Provided On A Need-To-Know Basis

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 31, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping to knock out the last ten movies I have from Edgar Wright's 100 Favorite Horror Movies:

Besides that, I may pick another list to work from, or I may just grab from the 450+ horror movies I have on my Letterboxd Watchlist.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Krazyface posted:

Is there any restriction wrt the movies being new to me? I mean obviously those should be the majority, but I've got a couple of flicks I've seen before, but not in a while, that might provide some good data.

The only restrictions with new-to-you movies are the self-inflicted ones. It's within the spirit of the thread, but in no way mandatory.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

Well, I've decided to inflict on myself the worst kind of 13 movie challenge. Here goes.

1) Guinea Pig: Devil's Experiment (ギニーピッグ 悪魔の実験)
2/5
I have to give this one two stars simply on the merit of being a technical demo of sorts. There's no real plot, no connection, no emotion to it, but... Imagine being in the 90s and coming across a tattered VHS copy of this, with its intro disclaimer of being a real evidential torture tape. It's believable, and that's impressive for 1985.

2) Guinea Pig 2: Flower of Flesh and Blood (ギニーピッグ2 血肉の華)
3/5
The second entry in the Guineaverse (Pigverse?) ups the ante a bit. There's more of everything. More gore, more plot, more... Cameras? On the one hand, the prosthetic effects are phenomenal for the late 80s. I don't think I've seen a fake severed head that looked that good to this day, let alone 3 decades ago. But on the other hand, the extra effects and extra camera angles and plot and stuff kind of ruin the suspension of disbelief that the first movie had.

I will never watch these, but I've heard that the 3rd and 4th are the Actually Good ones.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I had no idea there was an extended horror franchise called "Guinea Pig" and it never ceases to amaze me how deep the well of the horror genre goes.

It's a "franchise" in the same sense as Tetsuo. Except Tetsuo is more interesting, in that it tells more of a story and has themes rather than just being a technical showcase.

They're also only 40 minutes each (and don't count for the challenge, sorry), except for Guinea Pig: Mermaid in a Manhole, which is 63 minutes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

But the mental anguish lasts longer than 60 minutes

God drat it fine, I forgot about that, I'm not going to watch the rest of them.

Sorry bud. I genuinely appreciate the effort. Would have warned you about that had I remembered their short run-time.

You can still watch Mermaid in a Manhole!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Friendly reminder that there is a slasher set on April Fool's Day, and it's remake.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

I just watched the original recently and it's decent, is the remake any good?

No idea! But I do like the original quite a bit.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Lep in the hood come to do no good

Which has been your favorite so far?

For me, I like 3 and In The Hood the most.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

OK, after some thought I hav decided to make this more complicated for myself

I will watch 13 horror movies I haven't seen before. In keeping with the spirit of the times, all the movies will deal with one or more of the following topics

-Disease
-Contagion
-Hospitals/medicine/medical procedures
-Large scale disasters
-Societal collapse

I would appreciate some recommendations. I'm keeping "Contagion" pretty broad mainly because I want to watch Colour Out Of Space

Epidemics: Movies about Disease & Sickness

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Before anyone asks, The Stand is a mini-series, and doesn't count.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

I won't go as hard at it as in October, but I'll at least do thirteen.

Hopefully okay to ask for a recommendation. What's a good horror movie/thriller about a small group of people encountering strange phenomenon in a relatively desolated area? E.g., in the desert, etc. And hopefully something more otherworldly and strange than just, like, cannibal freaks. There's a number of these set in the woods/forest/lush environments (the various Blair Witches, The Ritual, The Endless, Annihilation,..), but are there any good ones set in more inhospitable environments?

The Ruins.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The CineD Z-Fest Stream is LIVE!!!! (For testing purposes)

Here is the GitHub link to tap into the Z-Fest stream on CyTube

Here is the CineD Discord, where you can find the Z-Fest channel for live chat

Please try the link and make sure that you are able to stream without issue. We wouldn't want you to try and massage your occipital lobe with z-grade transmissions and miss out on the fun because technology fails you.

If you have issues, try restarting your computer, trying a different browser, or reading the help section on the website.

Please post any issues you have in the thread or on discord.

And while the Z-Fest is not exclusively horror, there will be qualifying films shown.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

:siren: CineD Z-Fest Thread :siren:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If anyone wants to knock out a few horror movies tonight and tomorrow morning:

Thread/ Stream Chat

Horror films:

Planet of the Vampires
Popcorn
Plan 9 From Outer Space
Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers
Matango
and Rockula?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Some thoughts on Z-Fest films that apply

Planet of the Vampires

In many ways, it's the quintessential sci-fi adventure. It's very reserved for an Italian film (and for Bava), trading in gore or shock for suspense and building dread. The sets, the colors, and the sound design is top notch.

The Brain That Wouldn't Die

In many ways it's a direct inspiration for Re-Animator. A man's quest to save his lover's life leads to an obsession with the perfect woman. Being saved from death cause's her disembodied head to grow evil and want to take over the world and kill all men. It's such a weird film in many ways that can only be seen.

Popcorn

One of my recent favorites. It starts off like a slasher and grows into a Phantom of the Opera-type tale of madness and revenge. I'd love to exist in this weird world. It's the most exciting movie night, with wonderful costumes and energy. When the movie strays away from the slasher elements, it's then anchored to the wonderful performance of the villain. The make-up effects and the concept of a murderous avant-garde filmmaker making an evil experimental film are the icing on the cake. Just a blast.

Plan 9 From Outer Space

I turn my brain off from boredom after the Pillow monologue, every single time. Yeah, it's well-known for being bad, but it's so boring.

Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers

Drops any pretense of being a slasher and instead becomes a hypersexualized neo-noir with an absurd mystery involving a chainsaw cult populated by sex workers. I can't help but be intrigued that they made the sex workers (the titular Chainsaw Hookers) so absolutely horny in every scene. Lots of watery blood, too.

Rockula

It has zero interest in horror, or vampirism as a concept beyond immortality. The musical numbers absolutely make me cringe every time. There's such a manic energy, great choices from extras and costuming, and some genuinely funny moments, which keeps this mediocre film from staying in the grave.

Planet of the Vampires; The Brain That Wouldn't Die; Popcorn; Plan 9 From Outer Space; Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers; Rockula

Total: 6

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 5, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
7. Ringu
1998 | Hideo Nakata | from a novel by Koji Suzuki

Although I had seen the remake when it came out, I've never actually seen the original Ringu.

Sadako's haunting shows that Bloody Mary-type urban legends and classic revenge ghost stories have a way of evolving and spreading along with culture. The Luddite theme that television and horror movies are detrimental to society is hard to ignore in a film with a death curse transmitted by Televisions and forbidden VHS tapes, especially with it's sinister conclusion.

The film's slower pacing creates a more haunting mood. The characters grow more desperate as the clock works against them, but the film doesn't work with the clock with more jump scares or shocking imagery. It's brooding, with creepy droning sounds and glimpses of images in the reflective surfaces behind the characters hinting at their danger.

Worth noting: Koji Suzuki's novel Ringu came out in 1991, Candyman the film came out in 1992 which is based off a story Clive Barker published in 1986.

Planet of the Vampires; The Brain That Wouldn't Die; Popcorn; Plan 9 From Outer Space; Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers; Rockula; Ringu

Total: 7

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Eyes of Laura Mars was recently added to Criterion Channel. If you haven't seen it before, I highly recommend it. It's a based off of a John Carpenter screenplay, and was released the same year as Halloween. It's an excellent slasher with giallo flavors, but with Victor J Kemper cinematography. You'd also recognize the director, Irven Kershner, as he would follow up Eyes of Laura Mars with Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.

If that isn't enticing enough, the cast is Faye Dunaway, a young Tommy Lee Jones, René Auberjonois and Brad Dourif.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
8. Four Flies on Grey Velvet aka 4 Mosche Di Velluto Grigio
1971 | Dario Argento

A lesser-known Argento for a reason. Despite the main character being a drummer, there isn't much of an energetic or musical quality for a giallo, and instead concentrates a bit more on the mystery and investigative side of the genre.

The movie picks up around half-way through, but it never really reaches full Argento potential. It's certainly a step up from Bird with the Crystal Plumage, but he wouldn't hit his stride until the mid-70's which lasted until the late 90's.

Nonetheless, there are still flourishes of his genius. There's a truly suspenseful claustrophobic chase in a narrow passage between two buildings; there's an interesting segment of a laser; Dalia's death where we track her head down the stairs, and the finale with the killer's demise are both some of the best moments of Aregento's filmography. He has a painterly composition in shots, like when Roberto is being comforted in the bath by Dalia, and a reoccurring dream Roberto has of a decapitation.

There is also a theme of homophobia throughout the film that feels very dated, even though it tries to have a gay character as a detective. It feels condescending towards homosexuality, and makes a lot of strange jokes. There's also a character that tries to tell a funny story about Frankenstein's monster as a rapist. That kinda stuff falls really flat, and feels out of place.

If you aren't fully invested in the mystery, many parts of the film kind of drag on. The highs are still high, and it's interesting see Argento develop his voice, but it's not a favorite.

Planet of the Vampires | The Brain That Wouldn't Die | Popcorn | Plan 9 From Outer Space | Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers | Rockula | Ringu | Four Flies on Grey Velvet

Total: 8

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 6, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Come To Daddy

Elijah Wood knocks another one out of the park with this film where he plays a son who receives a letter from his estranged father asking that he travel to see him after many years.

Aside from that, go in as blind as you possibly can. The movie keeps shifting under your feet every few minutes and always keeps you guessing, while being stylish as hell throughout the whole thing. And like I said, Wood is just a really really compelling protagonist who has a lot more dimension to him than meets the eye at first.

I mentioned this in the horror thread but it struck me as the credits were rolling that Come To Daddy could act as a companion piece to Prometheus. Both films are about men who go looking for answers from their creator, and instead find incomprehensible madness.

Yeah, this is still solidly my favorite horror film of the year. The Lodge is arguably darker and more horrific, but Come To Daddy just brings so much to the table in every aspect--performances, production, themes-- that even though it never becomes predictable, it never feels cheap or like a theme park ride, because the emotions and themes linger past the credits. Really glad to hear you enjoyed it!

I'm gonna check out In The Tall Grass now. Your saying it's good (and Gey Muckle Mowser as well) gives me reason to think I'll enjoy it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I haven’t had a chance to see VFW yet. I’m excited for it, though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Final Destination is really good, yeah. I'm not a big fan of the direction for the finale, but it's still fun throughout.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

Anyway, yeah, I'm gonna stop posting my reviews here too cause I just haven't had the spoons, but I'll be reviewing on Letterboxd and will post a final tally at the end of the month.
I don’t really understand that when literally the whole point of the thread is to write your reviews in it.

Like if the thread were just to mention a movie you watched, that’s literally just the horror thread.

gey muckle mowser posted:

Someone give me a wildcard recommendation to watch tonight! I have Netflix, Hulu, Shudder, Prime, and I'm willing to rent something digitally as long as it's not more than a couple bucks. I'll watch the first movie posted that I haven't already seen.

Dario Argento's The Stendhal Syndrome is on Shudder.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 6, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

married but discreet posted:

Come on Fran, gently caress that creepy movie.
Wholesome alternative: Next of Kin (1982), on Shudder.

It was the first one I saw that gey muckle mowser hadn't watched on Letterboxd. I haven't seen it either.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

married but discreet posted:

I had to turn it off cause it was way too rapey and misogynistic. It's very unpleasant to watch and not in the good way at all.

STAC Goat posted:

I don't how I feel about Stendhal Syndrome. Its super "rapey" but like, its a movie about rape and the trauma of it. Its uncomfortable and all the real world stuff about Asia Argento and the fact that her dad is directing her all make it a little extra uncomfortable. I don't know. You should definitely get trigger warnings going in.

Bear I mind I might be the less aware person there is here because I didn't even realize it was Tilda Swinton as the old man in Suspiria.

For me I think my problem with In The Tall Grass was that I found everything happening with Wilson, the rock, the cult, and the church way more interesting than what they actually did for the 3rd act. All that stuff got left ambiguous and while I usually expect a touch of "unknown madness" from King I also usually can trust he'll give me more minutiae then I want. In this case I was super thirsty for more.

I appreciate the warning on it. I just knew it was an Argento film.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I just thought this would be an interesting film to pair with Suspiria for fairly obvious reasons. And I couldn’t sleep last night, so I napped today, so I wasn't remotely tired.

17 (21). Climax (2018)
Directed and Written by Gasper Noe
Watched on Prime.

A dance troupe blow off steam with a wild night of excess. Sex, drugs, booze. But it all gradually grows out of control and turns into a nonstop nightmare.

Its a hypnotic experience and a remarkable piece. Part of me wants to turn it right back on and rewatch all the dancing and everything that happened now being more familiar with the characters and their fates. Part of me wants to never watch this movie again. Part of me wants to go see Noe’s other work. Part of me wants to swear him off entirely. If you haven’t seen it its definitely something worth considering, but again, be warned its loving dark and goes some very disturbing places that I’m still not really over.

I think it's easily Noe's most palatable work, for sure. I'd say from here, you're probably best off trying Enter The Void. Just be aware, it's darker, more depressing, more disorienting, and is just as (if not more) taboo than Climax. Fascinating look at death, dying and the afterlife, but the character they chose for the story is a depressing one.

I think Irreversible is good, but man, it is just a huge bleak weight on the shoulders of the viewer. Even ignoring the Infamous Scene, it's a really bleak picture of how revenge is just a useless salve on a broken heart, and how human beings are chaotic creatures, and how the perfect life can be ruined by a seemingly insignificant choice such as walking down a hallway. It's moments of violence are absolutely brutal, but the overall experience is disorienting, sickening, and depressing.

Eventually I'll get around to Love, I Stand Alone, Carne and a few others, but real life is depressing enough as it is currently, that I don't need Noe's brilliant nihilism to be hyper-aware of how fragile existence and sanity are.

Which, if you're asking me, is what I think Climax is about : how our constructs of society, community, family, sanity, and our human emotions like empathy, love, friendship, as well as hate, bigotry, violence, etc, are all so fragile that a quick little chemical change in the brain is enough to make it all fall apart.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 7, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

My favorite thing about Climax is how they didn't rely on trippy visuals to convey "the characters are on drugs". Instead it's like you're the helpless bystander while everyone else is experiencing something you can't see. I feel like it's a lot more stressful and scary that way.

Oh absolutely. Also, just, in general kinda more interesting, since Enter The Void is mostly through the POV of someone on drugs, with all the trippy visuals. I appreciate his counterpoint of filming an outsider-looking-in on drug use instead of just repeating himself.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oh for sure. Like I said, next time you're in the mood for something dark, depressing, frightening but thought-provoking, Noe is there. But I have to be in the proper head-space to deal with it, and I don't see me being in that headspace for the rest of 2020, honestly.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Mummy is easily my least-favorite of the Universal Monster movies. It's all uphill from there.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Hammer Mummy is so much better. I think it the whole Egyptian thing works better in color, and Lee is a better mummy than Karloff(sounds blasphemous, but in this case it's true). Throw in Peter Cushing and for me it's no contest.

Absolutely agreed. I really enjoy all of Hammer's mummy's movies, even the sexy Blood from the Mummy's Tomb

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Have you seen Clue? I would have done the endings like that, just play them consecutively. "That's how it could have happened ... But here's how it really happened."

That would have been interesting!

It's kinda weird because Don't Feed The Plants is a great number, but it is nice seeing Seymour and (especially) Audrey live happily ever after since they've been poo poo on for their whole lives.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
9. Seconds
1966 | John Frankenheimer

Arthur Hamilton, an aged successful banker, is coerced into leaving his entire life (family, career, friends) for a new identity--rebuilt from his name to flesh and bone--by a shadow organization called The Company.

Another from Edgar Wright's 100 Favorite Horror Films, this one is heavily based in sci-fi and speculative fiction, like a 90 minute Twilight Zone episode. While the most grotesque aspects of the film are standard medical procedures, the film is at times disorienting and paranoid.

The obvious star of the film is James Wong Howe, the cinematographer, who's camera work is phenomenal, beautiful, and claustrophobic. Many frames of this film are sinister, and the shadows are foreboding. His camera work and the collaborative editing work of Ferris Webster and David Newhouse are what make this film a classic. The old adage of "if you notice the editor's work, he's failed" is false with Seconds. The black and white photography make the editing and camera work--think Terry Gilliam's frantic sweeping camera movements in Brazil and 12 Monkeys, both highly inspired by this film--feel incredibly progressive for a 1960's Hollywood film. Distorted imagery begins with the Saul Bass title sequences, and continues to pop up in surprising moments, which makes moments of the film have a hightened sense of reality, similar to the set design of the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, although used here to show the addled mind of our protagonist in an ever-shifting reality and identity. This is all scored by Jerry Goldsmith, whose composition feels like The Horror Score you hear when characters in a film watch a scary movie.

While the technical mastery is honestly enough for me to enjoy the film, it's not all impressive surface-level demonstration. Our introduction to the protagonist, Arthur, begins with his fate being sealed. By the time he arrives home to talk to his wife, before he receives a phone call from a dead friend, he has already been handed a piece of paper with an address. What Robert Louis Stevenson in Treasure Island refers to as The Black Spot, in a sense. His course has been set, and it is not one of his own devising. Arthur, who eventually is made into Mr. Wilson, because everyone uses surnames and old identities must be forgotten, has a journey of reckoning with choice. He craves freedom of choice, but it is always others who choose what choices he may decide from. He wishes to decide fate for himself for once, to really make Life is own, but like all of us, our choices are limited to our experience, and the sandbox Fate decides for us. Ironically, when he is given choices, he is inundated with fear, the perplexity of infinite possibilities just another prison. Arthur--excuse me, Wilson--just can't win.

Not an outright frightening or macabre experience, but certainly a fascinating existentialist nightmare crafted with ingenuity and creativity.

Planet of the Vampires | The Brain That Wouldn't Die | Popcorn | Plan 9 From Outer Space | Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers | Rockula | Ringu | Four Flies on Grey Velvet | Seconds

Total: 9

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

2. Scream 2 (1997)

Also, Craven should have had the balls to actually kill off Dewey. His stabbing is perfectly shot and it would have been a great ending for the character.

We discussed it in Discord, but this is absolutely my biggest gripe with the film, and it weirdly feels like a great example of how it's pulled punches keeps it from reaching it's full potential.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Interesting. I think lack of belief is why I never really connected with the first Exorcist, and also why I don't connect with most ghost or satanist movies. They always seem to hinge on the viewer being terrified of concepts that I find pretty silly, or at the very least they have POV characters who are terrified of those things. Maybe I should give Exorcist III a shot.

While I don't have a belief system that makes me worry about demons or stuff, I still think a parent being helpless to their child's suffering, and a child being randomly afflicted with something greater than her, is terrifying. It's the same fear of losing a significant other or a family member to cancer or any other disease. That stuff is frightening.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

But I don't really believe or fear [...] werewolves.

Wow, rude. I'm right here.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Absolutely, and arguably the scariest parts in The Exorcist are the medical procedures

Yeah. That neck effect is still terrifying to me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

For sure, though I think that it's why I can really enjoy and appreciate the first Exorcist, but when I talk about it with people who come from a Catholic background they have a deep and visceral fear-based reaction to it that I just don't. That sort of stuff is still effective to me, just to a lesser degree than someone who has put a lot of stock in the beliefs behind it. A ghost can still get me good, but it won't tap into a real-world fear of mine. But good storytelling and characters are always what's going to get to me over baser fears.

For sure. I grew up in an area predominantly Southern Baptist, so Demonic Possession and (worst!) Demonic Oppression are Very Real to many people.

Tangentially related, back when Evil Dead (2013) came out, I was talking with a co-worker about how much fun it was. I started explaining how Candarian demons are demonic forces that possess the person, but they seem like Super Zombies, and he said "I'm out," abruptly. "Torture? Gore? Violence? Blood? I can handle that poo poo. Throw the worst at me. SAW series? Nothing. Hostel? I can take all that poo poo. Ghosts and demons? Nuh-uh. No way. That shits real man, and I'm not inviting it into my life to gently caress me up."

I thought he was joking, but once I realized he thought that watching a movie involving ghosts or possession or demons would basically make his life the plot of a Demons movie, I awkwardly ended the conversation and never talked movies with him again. That stuff really changes your perception of a person.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if you care at all about costumes, set designs, and animated extras, Eyes of Laura Mars is a must-watch. I watched it two weeks ago(?) and I think I'm gonna do a rewatch for this challenge cuz I loved it so much.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

48) The Cave - 2005 - Crackle

This was a basic horrors in a deep cave movie, but comes off as a lazy The Descent knockoff. The concept had potential, investigating a unique ecosystem that's developed in a cave, but it's like they did nothing with it beyond a halfassed explanation for the monsters.

One's better off sitting through The Descent again.

Also, all of the diving in the movie is bullshit. The movie starts off with them breaking all of the rules of diving safety, and it gets more absurd from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Part 7 got ripped apart by the MPAA. You can find some of the footage of the original gory kills with the director's commentary on YouTube somewhere. I like to imagine one day we'll get a restored Uncut version, but supposedly the prints are gone or locked up.

Also, you should watch the Reboot! It's one of the best of the Slasher Reboots of that era, whatever that means, and I think the actor who plays Jason is great.