Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Pulled my copy off the shelf, dusted it off, and will join in after a couple of short genre chapbooks (one blurbed by Ligotti :kheldragar: )

Its the Penguin Classics/McWilliam edition I had to get for my ugrad great books course. Can't recall for the life of me now what stories we read out of it so should be fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The introduction is depressing as gently caress given our current situation. Appreciate the apologies author!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I had forgotten just how funny these stories can get, the first story is loving hilarious and very goony.

Kinda wish I had grown up Catholic because I'm sure it would be extra funny then

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Through day 2 of a sequential read. The stories are really good and entertaining but also not something I can binge read.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

next month I'm finishing this month's book

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The Decameron is full of light escapist reading. Just a poo poo ton of it.

Sooo much escapism I'll never be free of it

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Grevling posted:

I'm about halfway into this. People have mentioned hosed up stories of which there are plenty but what are the funniest ones? I really liked the one where a priest tricks a guy into thinking he's in hell in order to have sex with his wife.

I just read that one! Very funny.

I still really like the first one, of the money lender's confession

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The North Tower posted:

Day 6 story 8 is only like a page and a half, but has maybe my favorite line in the book: "If you can't bear the sight of horrid people, my girl, I advise you, for your own peace of mind, never to look at yourself in the glass."

lol a medieval "Turn on your monitor"

Putting the Devil Back into Hell definitely deserves a mention for funny stories.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bumping

I am still picking away at this. I am over halfway but then ran out of give a gently caress as the stories started blurring together. Some stand out, some are forgotten as soon as the page is turned. Its a mixed bag and I always feel like I have something else more interesting to read instead

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Just finished day 7. The super horny day. Unlike all the other super horny days, this one was mostly happy and funny.

Next up, day 8. More horny.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I am genuinely impressed that you're sticking with it and posting. Thanks!

If I can somehow make it through the rest of this then I will know I am ready for the entire Divine Comedy later in the year. Have only read Inferno so far.

#readthecanon2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

If I can somehow make it through the rest of this then I will know I am ready for the entire Divine Comedy later in the year. Have only read Inferno so far.

#readthecanon2021

and like, what else does one do during a raging pandemic?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

on the final story of Day 8. This is perhaps the strongest single day since there are multiple funny stories with the same cast of characters, the two painters who have one over on the doctor had me really laughing

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The North Tower posted:

Was that the one with the pig?

No its the one where they convince the doctor they are high ranking members in a secret society of elites and get him to shower them with hospitality in order to try to gain initiation

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Or convincing their buddy he was pregnant

Then setting him up with a hooker and showing his wife in

These dudes are seriously hilarious

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Finally. One day remaining. Day ten.

Once I finish this Covid is over right? Sorry I wasn't reading faster I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Done. Glad I stuck with it because some of the best stories are in the final few days