Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1770124704084263188

Carmack's such a dumbass lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

YaketySass posted:

I get the impression the LessWrong guys branched out of regular internet atheism culture pretty early. Definitely enmeshed with all sort of Bay Area creepiness though.

The second one is this one, right?

https://old.reddit.com/r/internetdrama/comments/9p700q/popular_harry_potter_fanfic_author_turns_out_to/

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of. It's a smaller cult compare to Yud's, but it's no less stupid.

I knew it was going to be good when they started the video reciting the group's marriage vows to Snape lmao

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

you can understand why the guy started a site called 'less wrong' if the place his life was at was reading hundreds of harry potter fanfictions as a grown rear end man, i just didnt realise it was meant as a support group for him

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Was Jesus a wizard in the HP universe?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

bobjr posted:

Was Jesus a wizard in the HP universe?

more importantly, what was his Hogwarts house?

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Jesus was born before the founding of Hogwarts, but so was Merlin* (canonically a Slytherin) so who even knows. I'd guess Hufflepuff but he's going to be yet another Gryffindor if it ever comes up.

*Yes, I know Merlin ages backwards in some myths. That's not the point.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Jesus “Lion of Judah” Christ, belonging to a house with a badger as its animal? Not on Queen Terf watch’!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Guy A. Person posted:

Jesus preached to the poor, unremarkable, common clay of the world that nobody wrote anything down about. So Hufflepuff

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Alternate timeline where Rowling got really into edgelord atheism instead and keeps posting about how wizards invented all the world's religions by accident. Jesus was a wizard, Muhammad ran into some angel-looking critter, Abraham's sacrifice was the result of a botched Imperius curse, etc.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

Jesus “Lion of Judah” Christ, belonging to a house with a badger as its animal? Not on Queen Terf watch’!

So you're saying the Gryffindor lion is Aslan

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

YaketySass posted:

Alternate timeline where Rowling got really into edgelord atheism instead and keeps posting about how wizards invented all the world's religions by accident. Jesus was a wizard, Muhammad ran into some angel-looking critter, Abraham's sacrifice was the result of a botched Imperius curse, etc.

Whereas in this timeline, they only invented the beliefs of native Americans

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

YaketySass posted:

Sorry, Wizards hunted Angels to extinction centuries ago, their feathers just made too good of wand cores to pass up

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

there's a great meta story in harry potter about the way access to extreme magical power has made wizard society stunted and moronic. it's not just bad writing that the wizard world seems like a child's understanding of how a society operates, its just that all the wizards are manchildren whose failures are subsidized by arcane might

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

The fact that the whole series ended up with the status quo being put in stone, kind of like the end of every wacky sitcom episode ever, might be the biggest strike against it IMO. Voldemort is dead, sure, but functionally society hasn’t evolved in any meaningful way. Which is not surprising knowing the author but it’s a wasted premise regardless.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

you can't get rid of hitler house, people love buying the hitler house merch

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They should have set the hat on fire again after the battle

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
im going to kiss salazar slytherin on the lips

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

I hear Salazar Slytherin supports trans rights.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

there's a great meta story in harry potter about the way access to extreme magical power has made wizard society stunted and moronic. it's not just bad writing that the wizard world seems like a child's understanding of how a society operates, its just that all the wizards are manchildren whose failures are subsidized by arcane might

Well, again, this is Britain

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Harry Potter and also European politics: no hugging, no learning

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

YaketySass posted:

Harry Potter and also European politics:no hugging, no learning minorities allowed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

The fact that the whole series ended up with the status quo being put in stone, kind of like the end of every wacky sitcom episode ever, might be the biggest strike against it IMO. Voldemort is dead, sure, but functionally society hasn’t evolved in any meaningful way. Which is not surprising knowing the author but it’s a wasted premise regardless.

Kind of like how the third Fantastic Beasts movie seemed to be building towards Jacob being made WizPrez so he could bring better understanding between Wizards and Muggles but that can't happen so instead he just gets the okay to have a mixed race marriage (which is also kind of hosed up that that was illegal before.)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

What's happened to the role of WizPrez by the time of Harry Potter? Is that poo poo ever even hinted at? People walk all over Dumbledore.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Of course they do, it's Dumbledore. What's he going to do about it, regret not doing the right thing in a few decades but consider it to have worked out for the best?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Professor McGonagall teaching the woke TRANSmutation classes

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

Professor McGonagall teaching the woke TRANSmutation classes

McGonagall: “anything can be anything else”
Rowling: “we’ll see about that bitch” *furiously drafts a chapter where McGonagall dies horribly*

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Guy A. Person posted:

McGonagall: “anything can be anything else”
Rowling: “we’ll see about that bitch” *furiously drafts a chapter where McGonagall dies horribly*

I love the idea that Rowling would have a petty hissy fit over what a character she wrote would say.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Again, a reminder that using Polyjuice to change genders is also canon and a plot point

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

josh04 posted:

Carmack's such a dumbass lol

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

YaketySass posted:

:hmmyes:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Regalingualius posted:

Again, a reminder that using Polyjuice to change genders is also canon and a plot point

To be fair it's used as a form of deception - exactly the method in which Rowling and most bigots view gender-affirming healthcare.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
shoves nerd into locker
O'Goyle rules!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Okay, so the Hogwarts Express leaves London at 11am and by the time it arrives at Hogwarts in Scotland it is dark out (which on September 1st is 8pm local time) so it is at least a nine hour train ride. Which makes perfect sense for a group that can teleport. Yes I know you can't teleport directly to Hogwarts but how far does that extend? Also you have to feel bad for anyone that doesn't live in the London area that has to go there first.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Trapping hundreds of 11-17 year old wizards in such a small, enclosed space for nine hours, especially without any adult supervision, is a recipe for someone getting maimed and/or killed. Hell, Harry himself has been both victim and aggressor in those cases.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

muscles like this! posted:

Yes I know you can't teleport directly to Hogwarts but how far does that extend?

I feel like we see people walk to the edge of Hogwarts grounds (either front gate or forbidden forest) at some point to teleport out. We definitely see them teleporting in and out of Hogsmeade, which is where the train finally arrives. And while apparition isn't possible, we know there are other magical teleports in and out of Hogwarts that do work, like floo powder and portkeys and vanishing cabinets and house-elf teleports. And even the "apparition isn't possible" thing is a rule that can be temporarily disabled easily if they feel like it, since in book 6 they suppress it so students can practice apparition in a Hogwarts classroom. (Personally, I feel like it would have been simpler just to write that they walk down to the edge of the grounds and learn to apparate there.)

Some of this is because the train is introduced in the first book, when not a single one of those teleports exists yet, and it's kind of implied that they don't exist by Dumbledore taking an hours-long broomstick flight to London for a meeting during the climax. It works fine in the first book, it just stops making sense with everything introduced later.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Harry Potter isn't real.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Harry Potter isn't real.

harry potter is real

real dumb

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

amigolupus posted:

Trapping hundreds of 11-17 year old wizards in such a small, enclosed space for nine hours, especially without any adult supervision, is a recipe for someone getting maimed and/or killed. Hell, Harry himself has been both victim and aggressor in those cases.

It causes less trouble for the staff if students get it out of their system and form their cliques before reaching school grounds.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Some of this is because the train is introduced in the first book, when not a single one of those teleports exists yet, and it's kind of implied that they don't exist by Dumbledore taking an hours-long broomstick flight to London for a meeting during the climax. It works fine in the first book, it just stops making sense with everything introduced later.

It feels like almost every book introduces some new transportation method (depending on how you count various flying animals).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Jesus was born of a divine (wizard) father and a human (muggle) mother. Making him a mudblood.