Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Just want to say I’m working my way through this thread and one of the first pages someone suggested the manga Witch Hat Atelier as another coming of age wizard story. My compliments to the chef, this thing rocks.

Also, to keep this post on topic, am I the only one who was unable to understand 9/10 words Newt says in Fantastic Beasts? I had no problem understating the crew in the Harry Potter movies but this guy mumbles like every line. Who okayed this direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Also, to keep this post on topic, am I the only one who was unable to understand 9/10 words Newt says in Fantastic Beasts? I had no problem understating the crew in the Harry Potter movies but this guy mumbles like every line. Who okayed this direction?

Eddie Redmayne's crappy mumbling won an Oscar so nobody can tell him not to hrmblwrmbl his way through every role

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My secret agenda in this thread has been to get people to move on from Harry Potter to something else, so I'm glad that worked.

Considering what the thread's currently talking about, I don't think there's really any good series I know of that really depicts a young character suddenly going through their sexual awakening and be overpowered by their own horniness like at the end of Bambi. Most mangas if they're gonna have that kind of element have it be there right from the beginning, maybe there's some slow burn romances. There's even some isekai series where the characters are children with the souls/minds of horny adults.

I guess the closest I can think is Bad Machinery, which is another british series depicting their weird school system, but I guess a less weird portion of it. The story focuses on a group of children who solve supernatural mysteries while steadily growing up. Linton in particular goes pretty crazy from being a teenage boy later on.

The series started out as a webcomic but is now a series of books up for sale.
https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/e...tSelectorHeader

Taotipper
Nov 8, 2020

The Magicians books were pretty good, but I couldn't make it past the first season of the TV show. The school part of the series is nice but what I really like are all of the details on hedge witches who figure out magic outside of the standard academic pathways. Harry Potter leans heavily on there being a ministry of magic that governs everything, but in The Magicians it's the opposite; very few people know what the gently caress they're doing

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just read the Bartimaeus Trilogy it does the whole "wizards in modern England" thing in a YA format way, way, WAY better.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JethroMcB posted:

Eddie Redmayne's crappy mumbling won an Oscar so nobody can tell him not to hrmblwrmbl his way through every role

Someone managed to for Jupiter Ascending.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Sydin posted:

Just read the Bartimaeus Trilogy it does the whole "wizards in modern England" thing in a YA format way, way, WAY better.

These books are very good! Lot of class poo poo in em to, unlike the hp books.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is very good, and has a very good TV adaptation.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

josh04 posted:

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is very good, and has a very good TV adaptation.

Second this. It is of course not quite coming of age but it depicts the personal growth of the protagonists over the course of their magical career really well. It also does a really good job of feeling like a faux-historical piece.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I honestly loving hate Eddie Redmayne. There I said it. Dunno why but can't stand the dude.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
*stares blankly into the middle distance while wearing a half-mad smile*

oh yes I'd love some tea

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is like Jane Austen’s Harry Potter in that a good chunk of the drama is wizards getting offended and writing angry open letters at each other.

It loving rules.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Roach Warehouse posted:

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is like Jane Austen’s Harry Potter in that a good chunk of the drama is wizards getting offended and writing angry open letters at each other.

It loving rules.

I have to really reign myself in not to gush about that book. It blows my mind that it is basically her debut work.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Read Name of the Wind if you want a newfound appreciation for how much worse Potter could be

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Read Name of the Wind if you want a newfound appreciation for how much worse Potter could be

I would actually like the story, if it was a clear case of an impossibly unreliable narrator that was given the opportunity to basically retcon his whole life through a biographer and going for it instead of Kvothe being the Mary Sue of all Mary Sues

I unironically really like the way magic works in NotW though. I always found the concept of true names give power really interesting.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mistaken Identity posted:

I unironically really like the way magic works in NotW though. I always found the concept of true names give power really interesting.

A Wizard of Earthsea is legit as gently caress, read that (and its sequels, Tehanu in particular is breathtakingly good)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I would actually like the story, if it was a clear case of an impossibly unreliable narrator that was given the opportunity to basically retcon his whole life through a biographer and going for it instead of Kvothe being the Mary Sue of all Mary Sues

I only read the first book in the series, but it has the exact problem I have with most fantasy that is intended to be a long series (maybe even more-so) where there isn’t any kind of attempt at a resolved arc since they are already planning ahead several books and don’t gaf.

This may sound like an inherently silly complaint but by contrast in Harry Potter the first book has a climactic battle with the big bad of the entire series and a workable explanation of why Harry survived, so even if it sold poorly and no further books were released (or if someone decided one book was enough for them) “Voldemort tried to return to power again but was defeated by our plucky hero, maybe he will return again but we’ll be ready!” would be a fine enough ending that wraps things up in a single book after giving you a full story. Or in A Game of Thrones there is a full arc in “Ned’s fun journey to King’s Landing” which is fully resolved and obviously promised more to come but is at least a resolution to that arc and the obvious themes of the first book

In NotW the premise starts off strong where he is going to tell a story of how he was a world class badass but then talks for 600 pages about being a snot nosed kid and the big climax is some convoluted fight/trapping of some land dragon or whatever? Then he gets into grad school. There isn’t even a resolution for his rivalry with that other student (unless the assassination attempt was it and the main character never confronts the guy), there isn’t a second encounter with the Chandrian except in a round about way, and the story he’s telling just kind of ends abruptly because customers come in and then he gets attacked. As the only book in the series I’m likely to ever read it doesn’t really give me a sense of resolution for anything. But again maybe this is an inherent thing with the fantasy genre I just need to accept.

Or as I told my friend who recommended it “more like The Name of the Long Winded!”

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Guy A. Person posted:

But again maybe this is an inherent thing with the fantasy genre I just need to accept.

Or as I told my friend who recommended it “more like The Name of the Long Winded!”

I'd strongly refute this being an inherent fantasy trope. The Earthsea books, that Tulip mentioned, for example are an excellent counterpoint (and excellent series in general). I feel like it is more of an unfortunate recent habit of modern fantasy authors.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!
finishing writing your 12 book 'trilogy' has become passe when you can expand your type 2 diabetes problem instead

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Did Dobby gently caress?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
what you don't remember all the graphic accounts of Dobby's Winky?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Did Dobby gently caress?

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/60879/how-do-house-elves-breed

To the best of my understanding Dobby had never engaged in the act of reproduction or even copulation during the duration of his life.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Here Lies Dobby
A Free Elf
He Never Scored

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Why do you think he was given a sock?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why do you think he was given a sock?

Huge Red Hot Chili Peppers fan?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Even if house elves could gently caress Dobby has definitely never partook

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

He was actually a huge slut who regularly attended elf orgies but it wasn't important to Harry's journey.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'd strongly refute this being an inherent fantasy trope. The Earthsea books, that Tulip mentioned, for example are an excellent counterpoint (and excellent series in general). I feel like it is more of an unfortunate recent habit of modern fantasy authors.

I meant to reply to this the other day but thanks for the info, I am just glad my post-waking-up rant made some sort of sense. It's also good to know because one of the things that has often put me off of fantasy more than other genres is the feeling that I would always be starting a series, and I tend to like to bounce around a lot between fiction, non-fiction, poetry, etc. I'll check out the first Earthsea at some point

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
This Christmas we enjoyed a House Elf's pudding. This is when, after a house elf has died, his veins and insides and cavities are filled with a custard, then he is taken to a vat filled with a special sugar-solvent potion to sit for five years. At the end of five years, his meat and bones have congealed into a kind of a sweet jellied syrup. It is then served.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

FunkyAl posted:

This Christmas we enjoyed a House Elf's pudding. This is when, after a house elf has died, his veins and insides and cavities are filled with a custard, then he is taken to a vat filled with a special sugar-solvent potion to sit for five years. At the end of five years, his meat and bones have congealed into a kind of a sweet jellied syrup. It is then served.

Honestly this is pretty fuckin grim but at the same time the whole concept of a house elf is fuckin grim and this post is merely pulling aside the veil of respectability that Dumbledore and co put on the entire system so it stands imo.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's on a par with the Black household having a wall of mounted house elf heads that the order of the phoenix apparently find distasteful at worst.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

reignofevil posted:

Honestly this is pretty fuckin grim but at the same time the whole concept of a house elf is fuckin grim and this post is merely pulling aside the veil of respectability that Dumbledore and co put on the entire system so it stands imo.

I could easily see it being clickhole Rowling.

If not the real thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

josh04 posted:

It's on a par with the Black household having a wall of mounted house elf heads that the order of the phoenix apparently find distasteful at worst.

Which Kreacher happily awaits his turn to be stuffed and mounted on

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

FunkyAl posted:

I mean to be fair thats not that far off from some other british cuisine

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Which Kreacher happily awaits his turn to be stuffed and mounted on

Banned from Patreon

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Potter rewrite headcanon of the day: Harry is in fact gay and he bonds with Dumbledore over this. This could help explain Harry’s change from viewing Dumbledore as his cool weird principal to his being God the Father, and also explain why Harry smoulders at all his hot guy acquaintances but only ever notices Cho Chang or Ginny as “uh, pretty”

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
how big are the pipes at hog warts. that snake is big as hell!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

That pipe was under the girls's bathroom and has a bunch of connecting pipes to (I assume) other toilets. I'm surprised Harry, Ron and Lockhart didn't land on a massive pile of poo poo when they reached the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Piping diagram of Hogwarts with "hot water", "cold water", "waste", "snake pipe". Dumbledore nodding sagely.