Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

1991 isn’t the Stone Age. The Commodore 64 came out in 1982 and that was 17 million home computers. Plus, Dudley was spoiled as poo poo.

Other thing to bear in mind was it was a lot more common to have a (cheap non-PC) computer like a Spectrum or by then an Amiga or Atari ST than a console at the time in the UK compared to the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jazerus posted:

getting Your Boy into Those Newfangled Machines was the done thing in the late 80s and early 90s, britain had a stronger computer culture than most places at the time (but worse computers :agesilaus:)

Your phone is still running the same architecture developed for one of those computers :colbert:

Granted they were expensive, you saw Archimedes in schools not homes mostly, but they were poo poo hot for the time.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HIJK posted:

What do the books mean when they say "robes"? I always end up imagining wizards walking around in bath robes with their tshirts sticking out and sometimes the bathrobes have stars on them.

Look up what students at Oxford and Cambridge have to wear for formal occasions (eg exams) in your actual real life 2021. Its that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

halokiller posted:

I think even in the books the wizard robes are nowhere near as garish as a typical graduation gown. Though I wish they would have played it up more in the movies.

Like I say they're based off Oxbridge undergraduate gowns which have been basically plain black since the literal middle ages. Its all these johnny come lately places coming up with Day Glo poo poo.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Also Vernon just shoving a pistol in Harry's face while threatening him is totally in character.

Despite even owning a handgun being a massively serious Go Directly to Jail crime in the UK....

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Pre-Harry Potter YA fiction to my mind is Choose Your Own Adventure, Hardy Boys, Goosebumps, and Scary Stories (which received a film adaptation that really missed the point and tried to make the whole thing PG-13).

Harry Potter is a saga and it provided something different at the time for western readers. It appears on the surface unabashedly wholesome--silly wizards with silly magic--but it's got an Oliver Twist element to it, and pretty soon it's apparent that there's a whole ring cycle thing going on. It never really meets its potential as a story but it ushered in age of YA fiction that eases you in and then gets outright bloody and complicated.

Um, like, Wizard of Earthsea series? Narnia...? This isn't new.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

YaketySass posted:

I would choose that school in Dracula where the headmaster is the Devil.

Have this vintage bit of children's television, then! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Demon_Headmaster_(1996_TV_series)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OPAONI posted:

There's a cruelty at the heart of the British media and governing classes that infects the whole drat island.

Um we are here in this thread and can hear you, you know. Ask your average UK goon what they think of Rowling.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OPAONI posted:

Are you a member of the governing class or media class, or are you one of their victims?

Nobody posting on these forums is one of the former. As usual, blame the Boomers. The rest of us still live on this island.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 14, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cranappleberry posted:

The thing is, the system perfectly allows for new Umbridges to come in and gain power. Or new Fudges. Or a new Voldemort. Or other bad political actors. The system didn't fundamentally change, only the people running it.

Funny how this aligns with Rowling's politics. liberalism.txt

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Still lollin that the text of the book literally refers to Kingsley as being "installed" not elected.

I mean, real ones aren't either

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OPAONI posted:

This is because Rowling, although from Scotland, has the joyless, cruel heart of a true Englishwoman.

What I am saying is that to give an English power over you is to invite your own suffering. Suffer not the English to hold power.

Scottish people not AT ALL known for being dour, of course :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

Secrets has made about $250m in international markets for $331m worldwide...not quite double its budget, which it would likely need to recoup marketing costs, but it's playing much better abroad compared to Sonic or Morbius. Most interesting to me is that Japan is its largest international market at $27m, outpacing even the UK, which I would just assume to be its stronghold.

Japan does have twice the UK's population, to be fair...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sydin posted:

It's definitely an elected office, Fudge's whole thing in OOTP is that he's convinced Dumbledore is making the whole Voldemort thing to undermine the confidence of the electorate and call an election to get himself elected Minister for Magic instead, because Fudge is a vain dipshit.

Which is super weird because ministers are not elected irl, any more than the US Secretary of State is, they're the Queen's servants and appointed at the discretion of the Prime Minister.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

Minister of Magic gets elected how, exactly? Are there wizard political parties?

This has come up before. UK ministers are not in general elected any more than the US Secretary of State is. Apparently JK doesn't know this though because iirc this one is but details aren't really given.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 27, 2022

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Given how long they live, wizards are only what, three generations since chattel slavery was legal in England? Dumbledore was born 15 years after the US Civil War ended.

The last time chattel slavery was unambiguously legal in England was the Anglo-Saxons, so pre-1066. It's a bit fuzzy by the 18th century but you get stuff like this pretty early on - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerset_v_Stewart

(Not because England's awesome because *gestures at its Colonies which sure as hell did have slavery*, but because the climate isn't suitable for plantations so there just isn't much need for slaves). Even in those colonies, mind you, slavery was outlawed a good 30 years or so before the US civil war.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Feb 2, 2023

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, but the English didn't actually ban owning slaves until 1833, and there were still local slaves (as in life identure) coal mining in Scotland as late as 1799.

A) You are diving hard into the 'Irish people were slaves too!' thing here.

B) That's banning owning slaves throughout the British empire, all of it - which is not the same thing 'England' which is what I originally responded to.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Robot Style posted:

There's the weird age gap between Anakin and Padme in Episode I

While you're not wrong and it's pretty weird in that movie, there is something a bit different about that specific example than all the other ones ;p Wasn't it a case of Anakin was originally supposed to be a teenager in Episode I and they made him younger at a late stage to be more toyetic/appeal to the kiddy audience? Hence an 8 year old somehow knowing the equivalent of maintaining/building a 50s hotrod car.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Do you think a society that taught their children numbers would have that kind of currency system?

29 knuts = 1 sickle
17 sickles = 1 galleon

So 473 sickles to the galleon.

This is a monetary system the goblins clearly designed as a means of revenge on wizards, who can't count anyway.

12d to the shilling, 20s to the pound, a pound and a shilling is a guinea. The original was only slightly more sensible.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Zore posted:

Its kind of wild if you go back to Sorcerer/Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets because Harry is absolutely defined by being enthralled by the magical world in those books and really driven to learn. You have multiple scenes of him reading and re-reading his school books before going to Hogwarts and once there he's, if not the top student, a pretty drat model one in most of his classes. Then once you get to book 3+ no one except Hermione is really allowed to enjoy learning any more and you get some really jarring character changes.

To be fair, I personally had my desire to be a Good Little Learner go through the floor for quite a bit once I hit puberty. 'Teenagers don't care about school' is fairly realistic.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

I just remembered that the Kimgsman prequel had a stinger scene showing Hitler being part of a big bad Guy conspiracy and personally responsible for murdering the Russian royal family.

What. How. He was a 28 year old lance corporal when that went down.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jazerus posted:

or pay someone to shoot voldemort. for a couple of years after book 7 came out there was a small fanfiction fad where the author would find some excuse for Elite Government Operators to get involved and just dome voldemort with a sniper rifle. poo poo like harry sending a letter to the queen or a royal army helicopter getting black hawk downed by the hogwarts wards

they were all bad obviously but the way non-wizards are just not present in a story ostensibly about stopping the bad guys who want to kill them all is genuinely weird

Royal Army? Alternate future where Charles 1 won? :shobon:
Anyway not sure our lot can even afford the sniper rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Alhazred posted:

And it's the absolute worst one too.

I dunno, I quite liked it. Raising Steam was probably the one I liked least - not that that was his fault given everything of course.