Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
She's also a TERF, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

jk expects us to believe you can't magic food but how many times is wizard agriculture mentioned or alluded to in the books? Oh wizards just use muggle money to buy food at the supermarket? Yeah right.

wizarding society leaches off muggle society and refuses to acknowledge it.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
can' wait to see bugs bunny kick voldermorts rear end

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I have read precisely one (1) Harry Potter fanfic and it was a goddamn crazy ride that started off zany and light ("What if Gordon Ramsay taught at Hogwarts?") and veered sharply into "nobody gives a poo poo about the trio, here's what it was like for normal people in the Wizarding World under the heel of Wizard Nazis" and holy poo poo did it get dark.

gonna need a link

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Arthur is essentially wizard ATF

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Wondering if Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon would have disowned Dudley if he turned out to be a wizard too.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
It's telling of JK that the most evil character she could conjure was not Voldemort, but Umbridge.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

MikeJF posted:

Wasn't there a piece of fluff that Ancient Runes was the written form of spell language?

nope, fanon

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i bought the lego harry potter games on steam sale. any of you nerds want to join in an lp of them? we can talk poo poo about harry potter for two whole games.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
it's funny because only wizards can become ghosts, meaning only wizards have souls.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You really can't get worse from North America's "their magic was fake until the english showed up and enlightened them," so maybe JK can salvage some of her reputation if she plays it wise

wait, what?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
welp, another fan fiction ruined by them supporting house elf slavery. nerds suck.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I'll still probably buy it.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
they'd definitely be a master of wizard kung fu

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Buttchocks posted:

As long as there's a magical gardening minigame, that's all I need. There's no way they could screw that up or make it offensive, right?

mandrakes in blackface

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
the M-word

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Jazerus posted:

so...dumbledore was married to wizard hitler?

wizard Ernst Rohm

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Cranappleberry posted:

he still has the Trace. This would alert the ministry, full of Voldemort's minions, to his location at the Dursley's house. It wouldn't break the "home" protection but it would give them an excuse to arrest Harry. If he apparates from broom, same. It would allow them to know where Harry went and the ministry could break non-ministry protections far more quickly than the Death Eaters alone as happened at The Burrow right after the Ministry fell.

They do take portkeys to The Burrow because the safe houses are much closer than The Burrow, and if Harry went directly there, they'd know it was him and also he'd likely have been captured or killed on the way. Portkeys need to be registered (legally speaking) but anyone who can figure it out can technically do it (it's supposed to be far harder than apparating). They might also have a dude in the portkey section of the magical transpo office. Who the gently caress knows.

Also there is supposedly some control over whether or not you can portkey to a place without specific permission/there are anti-portkey charms, like at Hogwarts. They can have exceptions like how the headmaster can create one that works to, from and within Hogwarts. Idk why they didn't use one from the Dursley's except that they might be vulnerable for a moment when the charm breaks?

the Trace is only on wands, not apparition. JK is just dumb.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Cranappleberry posted:

Incorrect. it applies to any magic done by or near the individual, not necessarily from a wand.

Hence Dobby got Harry in trouble.

wait, so they have a country wide magic detector yet can't find dark wizards by detecting the 3 unforgivable curses?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

He was campaigning for re-election, at the time of his death he's a sitting NY state senator lol

wizards killed FDR?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
the most disturbing parts of harry potter are the parts that are based on britain. just a hosed up hell island.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
would read a fanfic where Maggie crushes the wizards

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Maybe he's an animagi and turns into a goat and likes to get busy

who amongst us

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I tried to watch the rifftrax of Half-Blood Prince but couldn't make it past Umbridges introduction. Whoever that actor is who played her did such a good job of making her hateable.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
most people, when worldbuilding, would give their fake civilization great musicians, poets, novelists, artists. JK Rowling? Jellybeans that taste like earwax.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Zesty posted:

But what about that one hack writer?

ah yes, the man who was a master of erasing memories who worked at a boarding school in the UK. surely nothing sketchy about that.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
just realized something: if Hermione is black, like in Cursed Child, that makes all of JKs statements about her hair...interesting.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
wizards don't know what guns are, despite guns massively predating the statute of secrecy

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Torrent it, got it

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Sydin posted:

Agreed, the whole "nuking Japan was a necessary evil to prevent an even worse bloodshed caused by a mainland invasion" narrative is so ubiquitous that even my very leftist HS history teacher who talked openly about the myth of Americana and had us read Zinn parroted it to us back in the day. And of course like all good propaganda it makes a lot of intuitive sense to the layman who's not spent time digging into the historical particulars.

Can someone link the nuke video? I was under that impression myself. It's especially poignant for me, seeing as my paternal grandfather was scheduled to dive an LST in the first wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Cranappleberry posted:

sean is pseudonym. He is actually the real-life Ronald Bilius Weasley.

Way not misogynistic enough