Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

jojoinnit posted:

I've finally read through the thread. My irritation as a child was all the wacky amusing stuff in the first book like the non-sequitor of Dumbledore saying a bunch of nonsense words as his speech kinda got dropped. As a kid I couldn't tell if Harry got some extra special intro to the school that everyone after him didn't get (presumably the continuing student deaths put a damper on things) or if it's the same but just not mentioned in the books. There was so much whimsy in the first that got dropped.

Anyway, this has been a fun read and I'm now subscribed to the Shrieking Shack podcast.

I mean presumably most kids get the same kind of speech. Harry misses the feast in books 2 and 3 because of his misadventures with the car and the dementors, Book 4 has Dumbledore doing almost exactly the same speech and announcing the Tri-Wizard Tournament and then after that you have the escalating deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Starsnostars posted:

Did the sorting hat have to maintain balance when assigning students to houses or could it have gone "gently caress it, this year everyone is a Hufflepuff"?

It seems to roughly balance them, but assuming we get everyone in Harry's year is named there are definitely discrepancies between house size.

We get 8 Griffindors, 9 Slytherins, 4 Hufflepuffs and 6 Ravenclaws total. 18 boys and 9 girls. Which also should mean Hogwarts has somewhere in the realm of 200 kids at a time. The movies pad this out a lot by adding a bunch of unnamed extras.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 1, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

dordreff posted:

i don't remember much about the movies other than the third one, because it was the only one directed by a human instead of a computer algorithm, and the fourth one because it was a hosed up fever dream that just threw in scenes i vaguely recognised from the book at random. They couldn't take 5 minutes to explain who the gently caress David Tennant was playing but they absolutely could take 10 minutes to show a bunch of 30 year old Polish dudes spinning sticks around while some girls sighed dramatically and blew kisses at everything. Absolutely incredible film.

The third movie is probably the best standalone movie but boy did it gently caress up a ton of stuff down the line because it decided to leave out a ton of stuff that would become important later (like explaining who the gently caress the Marauders were) and started the trend of the movies just being supplemental to the books.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_the_Red_King

holy poo poo if you thought Potter was bad check out the saga of CHARLIE BONE

I remember these books.

They were uh pretty generic overall. Also the world was tiny, there were like 20 people that mattered in the entire world and they were divided neatly into 'good people' and 'bad people' who mostly all had to go to school together and act with decorum because????

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

So does every single wizard in the UK go to Hogwarts? Because it definitely doesn't seem like a big enough school for an entire country.

Some are supposedly home schooled, but in general most go to Hogwarts. A school that has about 200 pupils total across 7 years at a time and somehow manages to be enough education to support the entirety of UK Wizard society we see which includes a several hundred person bureaucracy, at least 10 professional sports teams, a thriving journalism scene and dozens of cottage industries.

Also canonically every single wizard in all of Asia goes to a single school.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

TheAardvark posted:

there are homeschooled wizards?

so are they allowed to just cast spells whenever they want? or are they required to arbitrarily stop whenever hogwarts lets out for the summer?

Unspecified, though since most of the homeschooled ones we hear about in canon are from wealthy Pureblood families I assume the rules just quietly don't apply to them at all.

Like the woman who founded the American Wizarding School. Her backstory was being a homeschooled and abused child of two ancient pureblood families who got kidnapped and raised by her parent's murderer back in the early 1800s who never learned much but managed to flee to America with a stolen wand when she was 16. Somehow this never triggered any of the underage magic protection stuff or any like investigation into the fact she was raised by someone who murdered her parents. Note she explicitly still got a Hogwarts letter.

She then goes on to absolutely revolutionize magic in North America because British Wizarding is so superior that even a completely untrained neophyte with no formal education and a stolen wand knew more about magic than any of the Native Americans who all came to learn from her and reshaped the entirety of Wizarding society in America to be a copy of the UK.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Angepain posted:

Do wizards have a spell equivalent of that Icelandic phone app to check if they're related before casual sex

Most of the purebloods are horrifically inbred specifically and know they're related.

Like anyone who's a pureblood can't be any less than second or third cousins at best. Like both Harry and the Weasleys are third Cousins through the Black family at the very least and that single family is the only one we get a vaguely detailed family tree from.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sydin posted:

You'd think there'd be more wizards who low-key use their magic to obtain fame and fortune in the muggle world. Like hell, if you're half-way competent at potions you could get a loving cult going in a nanosecond. Posit yourself as a miracle worker/spiritual healer/whatever and just take people into a back room where you feed them the potion that cures them and then oblivate their memory. Person comes out with you all "I have no idea what happened but I'm cured!" You'd be a goddamn sensation.

At a minimum I'm surprised more wizards don't double dip. Like how there's nobody who's ever thought "hey I can take some of these gigantic gold and silver coins and take them on over to Cash4GoldTM to get some muggle money, which I could use to buy some cool muggle poo poo" is weird. Even ignoring stuff like modern technology, you'd think they'd still show an interest in muggle literature, or music, or something, even if just as a fascination.

I would also like to point out that roughly half the policing departments we're aware of are specifically designed to catch people loving with Muggles and the Statutes of Secrecy means they take a pretty dim view of people doing that kind of stuff.

Like all of this is wildly illegal in universe, and based on how hard they came down on Harry for his public use of magic in book 5 I imagine its not something Wizarding society tolerates.

Like we do see some of this, Arthur goes on literally dozens of raids over the course of the series to bust criminal rings creating enchanted muggle artifacts for various purposes.

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 11, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sydin posted:

Who cares?

Also the only reason they detected Harry is because the Ministry puts some kind of magical trace on underage wizards. Once you're an adult they'd actually have to catch you in the act.

Presumably the Ministry does since they have at least four different wizard cop divisions dedicated entirely to stopping people from loving around with Muggles

Like you might be able to get away with penny ante poo poo, but in general the series portrays the Ministry as total hardasses about people who do anything magical where non-magical people can see or be affected.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 11, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s a girl and her name is Delphini. She goes by Delphi Diggory after imperiusing dead Cedric’s dad into thinking they’re related.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is insanely hosed.

Just everything about it is JK Rowling doubling down on some of the most insane poo poo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sydin posted:

Does Harry make it through a single book without a fight that results in him not being on speaking terms with one or both of his friends for multiple chapters?

I think in book 6 it's Ron and Hermione who have the massive blowout while Harry remains on good terms with both (read: has Hermione continue to do his homework and hangs out with Ron).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, book 1 has the initial fight be the impetus for the three becoming friends in the first place.

2 doesn't really have a bit fight.

3 has Hermione get really hacked off about Harry sneaking into Hogsmeade and the big fight over Crookshanks killing Scabbers between her and Ron

4 has Ron turn on him for being picked as the fourth champion and they fight until after the first challenge. Also the fun Ron/Hermione fight over Krum.

5 is peak 'Harry being a prick' and has him pulling a ton of mopey bullshit though I don't remember any specific big fights.

6 has the Ron/Hermione blow up over Lavender but Harry isn't involved.

7 of course has the big moment where Ron loses his poo poo and leaves for a bit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Speleothing posted:

Neville is the only main character who doesn't become a cop.

He actually does join for a bit along with Ron before they quit and do their later careers (Joke shop proprietor, Herbology Professor).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I'm not a fan of them using the movie designs where all the kids are wearing basically modern clothes under a long coat that they take off most of the time. Especially since the game takes place in the 1800s but everyones wearing like sweaters and khakis.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The books take place in the 90s and Harry Potter was very bad at divination

The epilogue takes place in 2017 though

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Especially after her background for how the American Wizarding Government formed. Which basically boils down to the fact that a bunch of British people showed the natives the errors of their backwards ways and how much better British magic was and then established a copy of the British government all built around a school that is explicitly a Hogwarts knock-off created by someone who never set foot in Hogwarts.

The wizards also supposedly basically peacefully integrated with the native American wizards who abandoned their deep ancestral ties to live in the clearly superior British mold because it was just better.

Basically everything she wrote about Ilvermorny and America is hilariously awful and gets really racist fast. It also presupposes a world where native American Wizards were integrated into the non-magical community in the Americas and then abandoned them as they were genocided to hang out with the cool British Wizards who had wands and schools and enforce the statute of secrecy.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 18, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

FunkyAl posted:

So how did these freakin' books end anyway? I got too scared by the sixth one and for all I know that maniac voldemort is still out there

Harry/Ron/Hermione gently caress around in the woods for a year while Voldemort takes over Britain. We get an endless amount of new ~Wand Lore~ and hyper powerful magical artifacts no one mentioned up until this point. There is a long running subplot where we learn Dumbledore was bffs with Wizard Hitler and had family drama because of it (this is where JKR later inserted that he was gay). They eventually make it back to Hogwarts have a final battle where a bunch of people die (and we learn Snape was a good guy all along! Also he forces Harry to look him in the eyes as he's dying so he can pretend its Harry's mom doing so)

Skip ahead 19 years later, Harry married Ginny and decided to name his second kid loving Albus Severus Potter because he hates him I guess. That kid will later become estranged and go on a wacky time travelling adventure with Voldemort's daughter.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 9, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, remember last time Voldemort died he turned into like some kind of spirit form and then posessed Quirrell less than 10 years later and got back on track with the whole 'coming back to life' thing. The after getting blown out of Quirrell he's back with Peter's help in under two years with a rudimentary body that he can cast magic with while waiting for the insanely complicated 'abduct and send Harry to a graveyard' plan to go off. \

And that ritual didn't need Harry, he just didn't want to be burned when they touched. Its a theoretically infinitely repeatable thing because its not like he's lacking in idiot minions or enemies, the only thing that might eventually put a damper on it is using up all of his father's bones.

Honestly its super weird he just hung out in Romania for like a decade until Quirrell came along in retrospect.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think he kinda was supposed to be lacking minions. Pettigrew and Crouch Jr were the only ones willing to risk anything to aid him (other than the folks in Azkaban.) Malfoy and the rest of the crew came back only after he rezzed, because they were scared of him/wanted to be on the winning side. Voldy implies that he knows this in the graveyard and Crouch Jr spells it out in his frothing villain rant after he’s revealed.

Right, that explains why he has a hard time coming back the first time.

If Harry had somehow merc'd him after the resurrection without destroying the rest of the horcruxes I feel like he wouldn't have had nearly as hard a time with minions the second time around since he had proved his immortality.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Who What Now posted:

You'd think at some point Harry would have learned a combat spell besides the one that makes you drop your wand for a second.

Its kind of insane too. Literally of all Harry's friends are shown using a fairly wide variety of interesting sounding hexes and jinx in combat when we see them. You get things like the leg-locker curse, sneezing jinx, cutting charm, bat-bogey hex, etc thrown out by everyone causing interesting body horror poo poo. Then you have Harry who basically exclusively using the disarming spell. Maybe the stunning charm if he's getting real fancy. :effort:

I'm fairly certain loving Ron has a more varied spell repertoire in fights. They even figure out who the real Harry is in book 7 because he's the only one who actually uses Expelliarmus during the flight from Privet Drive.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sydin posted:

I don't think Harry actually casts a named spell outside of class once in the first book.

In book two he learns expelliarmus, which becomes his default spell for the entire rest of the series.

In book three he learns patronus, and also I guess technically the spell that banishes Bogarts

In book four he learns acio for the first challenge, then learns a bunch other spells for the maze challenge, including a compass spell which IIRC he never uses again even when he and his friends are lost in the forest in book 7 :downs:

In book five Harry doesn't learn anything new I think, but he does teach a bunch of kids his small bag of tricks. Funnily enough most of them go on to have a more wide variety of spells than Harry does when they crash the Ministry. I guess this is the first book where Harry uses one of the unforgivables when he crucio's Bellatrex, but apparently he sucks at it and she just laughs him off.

In book six Harry learns Snape's incredibly powerful custom dark magic spell, which he uses once to maim Malfoy. He briefly duels Snape and by "duel" I mean Snape deflects all his poo poo easily and then knocks Harry on his rear end. I guess he also learns how to apparate.

In book seven again Harry learns nothing new I don't think, but he does use crucio and imperius a bunch.

So in total Harry knew... maybe a dozen spells? After six years of exclusively magical learning? I mean based on his OWL's and poo poo he supposedly was fairly competent at charms and transfiguration, but he basically never uses those ever in a practical manner.

He uses a few other spells. I know he learns Lumos early and uses it throughout the series. Similarly he learns Reparo to fix his glasses (and eventually his original wand). Book 6 is also weird because he starts doing a lot of casual magic to summon water etc a few times which hadn't really been a thing before outside of the obligatory class scenes. Then that goes away in book 7 for CAMPING TENSION

Its weird and inconsistent as hell

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

amigolupus posted:

You know, that does explain a lot about Neville's poor spellwork in the earlier books. IIRC, Neville used his dad's wand, so if his dad was defeated by the Lestranges then the wand's loyalty went to them. Trying to cast spells with a wand that doesn't want to obey you definitely didn't do any favors for Neville's anxiety and low self-esteem.

There's some irony in Neville's grandmother being so determined to make Neville be more like his dad that giving him his dad's wand turned out to be a massive handicap.

Neville's upbringing is honestly probably more abusive than Harry's. He tells a 'funny story' of how he discovered he had magic in one of the early books. He was so late to display it everyone thought he was a squib so his great-uncle dropped him out of a third story window and he only survived by instinctually turning himself into rubber. He then talks about how that was the first time his grandmother ever seemed proud of him.

Its insanely hosed

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
JKR also did stupid poo poo like have all the Slytherins either run away from the Battle for Hogwarts or explicitly join Voldemort's side.

Literally the only 'good Slytherins' we see in the series are Slughorn (who's still a huge piece of poo poo) and Snape/Regulus who do absolutely monstrous things before they snap out of it and are redeemed in death.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

chaleski posted:

Rowling also claims Merlin was a Slytherin but it was long after people stopped giving a poo poo about her Twitter retcons and is almost offensively lazy to just go "yeah the greatest wizard in history even more so than Dumbledore was a Slytherin, see I can make Slytherin more nuanced and no I won't explain how he fits in with them at all"

I'm calling the cops

Hogwarts was founded in 990 AD which is at the tail end of when most Merlin myths take place. So either he went to Hogwarts when he was an adult/several hundred years old (depending on tradition) or JKR just threw up some bullshit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

That's something I've wondered about and I'm not sure if it's ever addressed in the books. Can squibs or muggles make potions or look after magical plants and animals? Presumably most potions are just following recipes so you don't need magic, and most aspects of looking after magical plants and animals would be the same. C/D?

Filch at least uses potions and minor magical stuff to clean, and Hagrid spent years handling animals without a functioning wand.

I guess the biggest issue you run into is procuring the ingredients for Potions since magical plants are ridiculously dangerous. Similarly, the only reason Hagrid didn't die a billion times over is because he's tougher than a human being but you could still presumably handle them the same way we do Elephants or Tigers in real life. Dragons you would need millions of dollars of protective gear for but like Thestrals and Hippogriffs wouldn't be that bad.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Friend posted:

I always thought the snake had been polyjuiced into looking like the old lady and her dead body was in the room with all the blood, but I just read that part in the book and the snake is literally inside her using her like a puppet. What the gently caress? How does that work? Does the tail go down one leg, back up and then into the other leg, and the torso is working the arms? How does she hold the matches? WHY WAS THIS THE MORE LOGICAL SOLUTION THAN POLYJUICING THE SNAKE?!

The snake was also a woman who was like a hundred years old and had turned permanently into a snake by the time she hooks up with Voldemort. They add this whole big backstory for her in the dumb Fantastic Beasts movies.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sydin posted:

The reason Harry is rich is because his ancestor made a bunch of money off inventing beauty potions.

Specifically wizard hair gel.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, the Weasleys are in relative more than actual poverty generally.

The only real exception is their refusal to buy Ron a new wand even after his wand breaks. That poor kid spends an entire school year literally unable to do magic at a magic school.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

TheAardvark posted:

Why would any of the teachers let him use that wand anyway? Like he's real lucky it was just slugs, he could have killed somebody in class any time that year. loving psychotic

I mean look at the poo poo it did to Lockheart, loving permanent brain damage that he never recovers from.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Hermione also destroyed her parents lives. Like holy poo poo she just overwrites them with different people and sends them to Australia for a year without their consent.

It's insanely hosed up.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sydin posted:

IIRC Dumbledore explicitly tells Harry that Lucius had no idea what the Diary was outside of it being a powerful dark magic item, and he slipped it into Ginny's things out of petty spite hoping it would do something, anything to harm her. He further suggests that if Voldemort ever found out what Lucius had done, he'd be dead as a doornail.

The diary was obviously retconned into being a horcrux since it doesn't really act like one - the others are just soul anchors that at worst exert a kind of malignant force but the Diary is actually sentient and can actively leach lifeforce off somebody to revive a young Riddle. It's fine though because it's just one of a number of things that were very obviously retconned once Rowling realized she wanted to switch gears from whimsical kids story to YA fantasy epic. Retcons don't bother me, what bothers me is Rowling insisting that she's actually a galaxy brain genius who planned every minute detail of the series before she first put pen to paper for Philosopher's Stone.

I mean, we do see the locket exhibit similar behaviors to the diary in book 7. Rowling even uses a lot of the same language to describe how Harry/Ron/Hermione are getting affected by it as she did with Ginny in book 2. And at the end it even manifests a similar ghost to go full 'last temptation of Ronald Weasley ' before he breaks it.

None of the other Horcruxes are actually in their possession for long enough to really affect them in the same way.

:shrug: It honestly fits pretty decently overall. The big one that doesn't fit is Harry being a Horcrux because you'd expect uh similar effects.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Ron went to work for his brothers at their joke shop? Like as his whole adult career? I guess Hermione would be the breadwinner of the house, and I'd say that Ron should just be a stay-at-home dad, but there's not that much you have to do when your kids are off at boarding school.

Is there any wizarding-elementary school, or do they homeschool their kids, or do they go to muggle elementary and never speak to their childhood friends ever again after they come of age?

Well first he becomes a wizard cop with Harry and Neville for a few years. Then eventually he and Neville bounce and get not-poo poo jobs as a Joke shop proprietor and Herbology Professor. And fun extra canonical details say that Ron basically goes because George turns into a depressed alcoholic with grief and is on the verge of going out of business for a while!

Meanwhile Hermione's career trajectory goes from working to institute sweeping legal changes at the department for Magical creatures that like gives non-humans rights to being promoted to 'head cop' where suddenly all her cool reforms and laws just sort of stop.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Who What Now posted:

This was such a minor, nothing character that I have no clue who you're talking about.

Slughorn

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

amigolupus posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask but, did Rowling make up any stupid and messed up lore for Luna after the books were over? As far as I know, only Neville and Luna managed to escape any of Rowling's batshit lore.

Not really, she goes on to be a naturalist who travels all over the world and ends up marrying the grandson of the dude from the Fantastic Beasts movies who she meets on an expedition.

Which makes her roughly the only person in the world who doesn't marry the person she started dating in high school

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Honestly a series about Hagrid's misadventures as a young man trying to come to terms with his heritage, an outcast from both wizard and Giant society with no wand, would rule. Fighting in an underground magical creature fighting ring, buying and saving baby manticores etc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's also implied that he's a grave robber and that wizarding gold is all stolen from muggles.

Its not even implication, just flat out stated. He's a 'Curse Breaker' who works for Gringotts and spends the first few books of the series removing curses on the pyramids in Egypt to acquire their treasures.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sydin posted:

HBP starts with a scene between Snape, Malfoy's mom, and Bellatrix Harry isn't privy to at all, and I remember thinking it felt really out of place because of this.

It's dumb too because OotP establishes Harry and Voldy have some sort of psychic connection that Harry could block if he was assed enough to learn the mind reading defense magic, but he isn't and so he keeps having mind meld moments with Voldy. So just, like... have Harry dream Tom's memories where Tom went around and put together the pieces of his origin story.

I mean the first chapter in several of the books were from someone else's POV before it goes to Harry for the rest. Only books 2, 3 and 5 are exclusively from Harry's POV.

Philosopher's Stone starts with Dumbleore's POV, Goblet of Fire starts with the groundskeeper who gets murdered, HBP starts with the Prime Minister meeting Scrimgeour then the Snape chapter, DH starts with a big Death Eater scene with Voldemort.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hagrid's expulsion was weird. He was suspected of causing a bunch of paralysis cases and the murder of another student, and Tom Riddle turned him in for having some kind of weird pet that the authorities never actually found, otherwise they'd easily be able to tell that the victims never had any giant spider bites.

But I guess even though they expelled him, they didn't have definitive enough proof of the murder to give Hagrid real jailtime? Did he serve a sentence and get out on good behavior, or is expulsion from wizard school enough of a punishment for murder?

And then I remember as a kid thinking that Riddle and Hagrid were like roommates, and that's how Riddle knew about Aragog, but surely they weren't in the same house?

Yeah, they weren't in the same house. Hagrid was in Griffindor and Riddle in Slytherin.

The implication in the books seems to be that they convicted Hagrid of raising a magical creature he didn't have any control over that went rogue and caused all the deaths/paralysis. In punishment he was expelled and his wand snapped which makes him essentially a second class citizen who will never fully be part of wizard society, probably because he was a minor? Like even in the scene where Riddle is framing him he essentially says its negligence on Hagrid's part, not that he was trying to kill the kids. And he's like 12/13.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I read one of the 'book 7 predictions;. who lives and dies' and it was loving hilarious because it gave odds on all the characters death chances.

It had some wacky poo poo like Dobby being 1/100 chance to die while guaranteeing Hagrid was gonna bite it early

Also really bullish on Charlie dying because he had the least screentime of the Weasleys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Have zippers made their way into the wizarding world yet?

we learn in book 4 that older wizards don't actually know what pants are so signs point to no.