Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
N*maj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Note that the canon reason they do this is because muggles would ask the wizards for help

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

muscles like this! posted:

So does that mean Snape was volcel?

Slytherins gently caress. Voldemort impregnated Bellatrix Lestrange during book six. Yes, this is canon.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s a girl and her name is Delphini. She goes by Delphi Diggory after imperiusing dead Cedric’s dad into thinking they’re related.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

Is she also somehow a cop?

Just a time traveling nazi.

Yes the cursed play makes heavy use of time turners and alternate universes if you were wondering

E: it’s canon that if Cedric Diggory survives the tournament he ends up killing Neville and causing Voldemort’s triumph.

So maybe JK’s one good retcon, it’s clear that Neville was the chosen one all along

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 12, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

quote:

Meanwhile, Draco reveals the Time-Turner was actually a prototype for a perfected model owned by him (it was made for his father), but they remain unable to rescue the boys due to their uncertainty over which time period they have entered. After Harry receives the message from the boys, he and his allies use Draco's Time-Turner to travel back in time to save them and stop Delphi. While waiting for Delphi, they deduce she intends to convince Voldemort to abandon his doomed attempt to kill Harry, ensuring her father's survival and allowing her to be with him.

Harry disguises himself as Voldemort using Transfiguration to distract Delphi, during which Delphi reveals that Bellatrix Lestrange is her mother and after a struggle, the group manages to subdue her. Rather than killing Delphi, it is decided that she will be brought to Azkaban Prison. Lord Voldemort then appears and is oblivious to the presence of Harry and the group. The group allows the murder of Harry's parents to play out again, unwilling to risk the consequences of altering the past.

They all stand with Harry to watch the sad event replay. After returning to the present day, Delphi is sent to Azkaban. Albus and Scorpius now decide to be more active at Hogwarts, with Scorpius expressing interest in trying out for Quidditch and asking Rose on a date. Harry and Albus visit Cedric's grave, with Harry apologizing for his role in Cedric's death.

Im just gonna leave the last three paragraphs of the plot synopsis here and y’all can imagine what leads to this

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In book 2 they don’t have a fight I think, Hermione just gets paralyzed.

Oh and before that turned into a furry.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In the inevitable gritty TV reboot will we get a Hagrid dong prosthetic like for Hodor?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In book 2 JK goes out of her way to mention everyone’s getting flus and Madam Pomfrey is fixing them instantly with a potion. And then goes out of her way to mention that Filch is sick with the flu. They won’t even cure him.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Filch is actually really sweet to the nice hufflepuff kids. All the torture talk is just to gently caress with little shits like Harry and Draco.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I always get slytherin in quizzes and I'm still salty she decided "no they're literally all racists."

As a kid I always wished she'd follow through on there being good guy slytherins. I also wanted there to be a reveal that Salazar himself wasn't actually that horrible and the Chamber of Secrets was just a rumor until Tom Riddle made it reality.

Also, I feel like you could make Snape a lot better with two changes: first, make clear that by the time of their deaths he's gotten over himself and is a genuine friend to Lily, even if he still hates James. Second, make him be a double agent from the get go, because he wants to be, not a committed death eater who turns "good" just because of Lily.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Roth posted:

Fourth: Make Alan Rickman less hot

:hmmyes:

e: he looks like a british Bob Odenkirk

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Part of me wishes this game had come out before I had completely soured on Potter poo poo. I would've gone crazy for this as a teenager.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.quora.com/Has-Harry-Potter-heard-about-9-11

quote:

I’m sure he has. The majority of The Cursed Child took place in the twenty-first century. And 9/11 was the biggest, and only major, terrorist attack on America. Many countries mourned for America. Buckingham Palace played the star spangled banner in honor of America.

Of course, this is more a muggle issue, and unless their were significant numbers of wizards in the building I doubt the wizards (at least in the U.K.) gave it much thought.

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was actually some anti-muggle attack led by a dark wizard.

The american wizards however, probably took this as a much more serious issue. Especially if the incident was wizard related.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Do you think the 2016 wizard election also went to a chud?

e: lmfao

quote:

Alternative names
Muggles[1] (Great Britain)
No-Majes[2] (USA)
Can't-Spells[3]
Non-Wizards[3]
Non-Magiques[4] (France)

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 18, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The one in six would be Tony Blair wouldn’t it?

Did wizards participate in the invasion of Iraq?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There was some kind of owl/broom air force that helped the entente in ww1. The gym teacher was involved. Yes, the one from the 90s.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Like I said earlier, the whole magical world makes more sense if the 11 schools and all the rest are all just one set of super elite british-founded private schools that are the only magical communities the dipshit british purebloods recognize, and 99% of the rest of the wizarding world is just living their lives laughing at these assholes. Notice how not a foreign soul besides Fleur cared to help out with their insane racist civil war.

The school in Africa is like 20 magical rhodesian kids that even the british wizards look askance at these days. (also magical Rhodesia is going strong and the Malfoy family runs their equivalent of AIPAC)

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 19, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Her writing is really hit or miss imo. There’s extremely good and funny chapters and ones that are a horrible slog. Book three is the high point. Which incidentally is when she stopped using a real editor, which tracks. She improved over time and then went Lucas In The Prequels once the infinite money went to her head.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

reignofevil posted:

Four and five are probably my favorite of the series.

I wouldn’t say they’re my faves but I was of the perfect age to be 110% IN for the teen angst and romance that everyone complains about

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In book 3, Ron and Hermione fight bc Hermione’s cat seems to have eaten Ron’s rat. Hermione has no answer except “that’s what cats do.” And is eventually justified because Ron’s rat turned out to be an evil dude the whole time.

Excepppptttt

The assumed killing happened months before that reveal and that is such poo poo pet owning. Yes it’s what cats do. And some dogs will murder your cat in turn as their nature commands. Being a responsible pet owner means not letting them just run rampant and murder other animals, especially your friends’ pets!! gently caress Hermione here.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Does no one in Hogsmeade gently caress? Hogwarts doesn't seem to have any students from there.

Also, do scottish children have to go all the way to London to get to Hogwarts?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Let’s all not talk about Dumbledore’s galaxy brain plan to get Harry to lick that snitch to find the Resurrection Stone

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Would Ron have to chop off his hand to rebirth Harry?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sydin posted:

I like how Creevey dies and there is exactly zero fanfare to it, like during the final battle Harry just walks past a bunch of bodies and offhandedly thinks "there's Creevey, dead" and then he just moves on. Even Harry doesn't give a poo poo that he's dead so I'm not sure why Rowling thought we would.

Isn't this exactly as much fanfare as Lupin and Tonks get?

And in the movie, Lavender Brown.

Who, it cannot be said enough, was played by a black girl until the movie where she had to kiss Ron.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
oh boy principal photography on fantastic beasts 3 has started.

e: and there's gonna be five of these loving things

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
So I kinda sorta half watched the second fantastic beasts and I guess Grindelwald being 1. german and 2. allies with Hitler is just tossed out now?

Also why the gently caress is the wizard pokémon movie about this poo poo?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FunkyAl posted:

What I'm seeing is, that Voldemort is still on the loose and Harry Potter, our last hope, Has now died and been abducted by a ghost. I hate to say it folks, but it might just be time to pledge allegiance to the dark lord

I'm a slytherin. Way ahead of you, boss.

magical e: not a nazi, just trying to save my skin!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Shrieking Shack pointed out that it seems like JKR was lowkey coding Rita Skeeter as a trans woman, rather grossly, in her first appearance and now I can't unsee it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zore posted:

Yeah, remember last time Voldemort died he turned into like some kind of spirit form and then posessed Quirrell less than 10 years later and got back on track with the whole 'coming back to life' thing. The after getting blown out of Quirrell he's back with Peter's help in under two years with a rudimentary body that he can cast magic with while waiting for the insanely complicated 'abduct and send Harry to a graveyard' plan to go off. \

And that ritual didn't need Harry, he just didn't want to be burned when they touched. Its a theoretically infinitely repeatable thing because its not like he's lacking in idiot minions or enemies, the only thing that might eventually put a damper on it is using up all of his father's bones.

Honestly its super weird he just hung out in Romania for like a decade until Quirrell came along in retrospect.

I think he kinda was supposed to be lacking minions. Pettigrew and Crouch Jr were the only ones willing to risk anything to aid him (other than the folks in Azkaban.) Malfoy and the rest of the crew came back only after he rezzed, because they were scared of him/wanted to be on the winning side. Voldy implies that he knows this in the graveyard and Crouch Jr spells it out in his frothing villain rant after he’s revealed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Making it unforgivably evil to kill murderous wizard nazis with the painless death spell is incredibly centrist lib

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
DBZ is so much better than Potter what the gently caress are you people whining about

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm a big fan of the Goblet of Fire game that's a horrible ripoff of the LotR film games, and the final games that are even horribler ripoffs of Gears of War. Harry Potter and the Tedious Cover Shooter.

Also I'm unironically excited for the dumb victorian Hogwarts rpg and I'm ashamed of myself for it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

chaleski posted:

I slow down time and use all my action points to Flipendo a Death Eater in the nuts six times in a row before he ragdolls across the room at mach five and clips through a wall

My ideal Harry Potter game has always been Bully set in Hogwarts, ideally with a new or player created character and a focus on exploration and discovery instead of action set pieces

That's what I'm hoping for the new one.

Especially because it's far enough removed from the Voldemort poo poo that I can finally be a good slytherin. I wanna be low key scummy rogue, not likeable but also not a loving incel or nazi.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm just picturing Fatalities and realising duelling would work way better as a fighting game

We see magic do hosed up poo poo like remove bones from an arm, do that on the whole body, or other ludicrously hosed up poo poo like expelling your organs from every orifice or exploding your blood or vomiting acid all over yourself

lol that deleting and regrowing your bones is just Tuesday on the good guy side, and the worst thing the bad guy wizards can think of is instant painless execution.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

galagazombie posted:

House Slytherin was literally founded by a man who hid a Snake Monster in the bathroom in order to murder JewishMuggle children and resigned his post in outrage when the school admitted students from the untermensch. No matter how much better their color scheme and heraldry is the Nazism is in the marrow, no matter how many Slughorns Rowling tried to insert at the last minute.

That's a fair point but my wizard lore is 90% emo fanfic from a decade ago and 10% anything JK Rowling ever wrote, and I'd like to run up the percentage.

e: dramione forever no questions please.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 13, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE4IpoJTXjU

let's not forget what the school's biggest idiots had to say as soon Draco got his birthright

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
holy poo poo the actual Luna Lovegood was in the dumb harry potter musical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a81FO-2TxNg&list=PLvep3WS9e8tRA_amclMNdVkVqNazfebXk&index=2

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I need to pick up on The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, witch school being Bizarro Catholic school never stops being hilarious

That show is way better than any Potter media

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CptAwesome posted:

Quirrell went to Albania in the late 80s/early 90s because he is a vehement anti communist and assisted in the liberalisation of the country

Out of character for Jo to make such a character the villain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like the thing is that using the rules of weird magic poo poo would work to beat Voldemort given he's all about that kind of poo poo

But honestly would have worked to just use the battle of hogwarts to thin out his ranks and then everyone casts all their gently caress you spells at him at once

Harry avada kedavra's Voldemort and then gets thrown into Azkaban for life by a resurgent Cornelius Fudge after the postwar election.