Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Have we already talked about how the Ministry of Magic has a fountain in honor of wizard supremacy over non-human sentient beings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I've heard that one before and would buy it.

I am curious what the big red flags about Rita being a trans person are. I see the reporter parallels but am not well versed in trans-phobic to see how Rita could be viewed as trans, rather just more JK hates women talk.

For the hand thing there might be a touch of projecting going on?

While I am not quite convinced that Rita Skeeter is a conscious transphobic stereotype it seems to at least be subconsciously colored by JKR’s views. The best way she could think of to make Rita unlikeable was to give her “masculine” traits.

It comes from a similar vein like Neville’s boggart experience. The most pathetic and ridiculous thing in JKR's eyes was to put Snape into women’s clothing.

Mistaken Identity fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 29, 2020

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

This got me thinking, so avada kedavraing someone somehow stores their soul in your wand ready to be played back/summoned by oddly specific circumstances, right? How does that work? Is it the actual soul/ghost or is it a snapshot of the consciousness? Do wands have a bandwidth/storage capacity? Is there a dead ego stack overflow if you murder too much?

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Hodgepodge posted:

on a purely practical level, i have some doubts about voldemorts plan to assassinate his greatest enemy, a literal wizard who can disable an attacker in a million ways without harming them, using a kid who can barely bully another kid effectively

Well, I was always under the impression that it was less about finding an efficient way to deal with Dumbledore and more about punishing Luscious Malfoy. Dude never could catch a break with Voldemort after basically losing a Horcrux.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

josh04 posted:

I forgot Umbridge was DatDA, whoops. She lives, afaik. Also Lupin dies. It's been a while since I read Deathly Hallows, about twelve years in fact.

Well, she lives, but she does implicitly get (sexually?) assaulted by a herd of centaurs soooooo...

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Wait, where does it actually say that the curse is "real"? I always considered that more of a bullshit tongue-in-cheek explanation instead of something actually supernatural.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

amigolupus posted:

Dumbledore mentioned that after Voldemort got rejected after applying as the Defense Against Dark Arts teacher, that was when the position got cursed.

Though since the curse was on the school subject itself, I think Dumbledore could have rules-lawyered his way out of it by removing it from the curriculum and just making a new subject called General Defense.

I really have to re-read that passage, that was exactly what I filed away under "dumb superstition". After all that is kind of the only time we know of of a curse working in such a way, isn't it?

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Mistaken Identity posted:

I really have to re-read that passage, that was exactly what I filed away under "dumb superstition". After all that is kind of the only time we know of of a curse working in such a way, isn't it?

I need to continue my tangent by selflessly talking to myself because this curse thing has me kind of obsessed the last few days and I can't get it out of my head unless I vomit forth my thoughts and I don't have any other receptable for weird Harry Potter trivia right now except this thread sooooo... you're welcome.

Let's play this straight and say this is actually how this curse works and it has been demonstrably sort of effective. Disregarding the fact that by the time Harry Potter starts they must have cycled through the whole pool of potential teachers in all of England (which kind of makes sense since every teacher Harry does get is kind of bottom of the barrel material) then why the gently caress did Voldemort waste such an apparently uncounterable curse (because no way Dumbledore would have let that run its course out of gross negligence, right? ...right....) on a petty reason like cursing the Defense against the Dark Arts position instead of, say, the HEADMASTER position? :psyduck:

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

muscles like this! posted:

Did Rowling ever explain what was going on with ghosts? Because that whole situation sure seemed hosed up.

Existential horror as comedic relief.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Sydin posted:

Well except for Malfoy and his toadies, who got special privileges from Umbridge they could use to bully others. Which makes it even funnier that he's suddenly supposed to be sympathetic in Book 6.

Right, both Gryfindor and Slytherin attract talented, ambitious wizards, the difference is that Gryfindors use those abilities to help others, while Slytherins are really only interested in helping themselves. If you removed the blood purity stuff from the books and just left it at that, Slytherin would be fine and also an interesting foil/temptation for Harry, particularly in Book 5 where he feels he's being locked out of the loop by his friends and allies despite everything he's accomplished up to that point. But because the story has nazis, we need a place to put them and they all end up in Slytherin. There are no Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw Death Eaters. So Slytherin just becomes the nazi house and that drowns out anything else they could potentially be about and makes all the moments where people point out Harry could have actually fit well there ring hollow because for all his faults Harry is not going to embrace blood purity ideology.

Well, tbf. There is Peter Pettigrew. A bonafide Griffindor Death-Eater. Would have made for an interesting nature vs. nurture theme, if it got explored. But looking back on the books, it probably was sheer accident.

[edit] Hold on. Am I crazy or wasn't Tonks' mother Slytherin as well and married to a muggle-born? So she might also have been somewhat decent. [/edit]

Guy A. Person posted:

Well and the problem is the “we sort too soon” line is in that same book so it undermines the entire idea that Slytherins can be just as brave and good because your wise wizard granddad is saying to the most heroic one “you should have actually been a Gryffindor”

Really she should have just established at some point that even tho all the antagonist teens are Slytherins there are a few who are not totally poo poo by having a few of them occasionally act happy when Harry saves the school and their friends lives, or not have them all clear out before the battle of Hogwarts (oh but don’t worry some of the 17 year olds totes snuck back in its canon).

Actually, now that I think about it I read in an interview about an abandoned subplot for Book 4. Apparently we were supposed to get a girl cousin of Ron that was actually a Slytherin and was supposed to be not full on nazi but instead an antagonistic ally. Supposedly that got scrapped by the editor and we instead got Rita. :psyduck:

[edit2] Found it: http://web.archive.org/web/20040803113633/http://www.jkrowling.com:80/textonly/extrastuff_view.cfm?id=3. Misremembered a bit, no editor, JKR did that all on her own. Did she even have editors by this point?[/edit2]

Mistaken Identity fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 18, 2020

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Regalingualius posted:

This just raises questions for me.

So is a house elf screwed if they’re owned by a nudist household?

Aren’t house elfs screwed. Period? The one case of liberation we see gets treated like a freak and a leper by his own people, implying that not only is it exceedingly rare in the first place but house elfs are so indoctrinated that they don’t even want to be free.

Holy poo poo, I just realized that house elfs are basically the racist “the faithful slave” trope.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Hodgepodge posted:

tbf that does sound like accurate characterization of a kid who had his entire early childhood and every summer spent in more or less solitary confinement

And was also subconsciously groomed to be a child soldier.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

josh04 posted:

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is very good, and has a very good TV adaptation.

Second this. It is of course not quite coming of age but it depicts the personal growth of the protagonists over the course of their magical career really well. It also does a really good job of feeling like a faux-historical piece.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Roach Warehouse posted:

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is like Jane Austen’s Harry Potter in that a good chunk of the drama is wizards getting offended and writing angry open letters at each other.

It loving rules.

I have to really reign myself in not to gush about that book. It blows my mind that it is basically her debut work.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Read Name of the Wind if you want a newfound appreciation for how much worse Potter could be

I would actually like the story, if it was a clear case of an impossibly unreliable narrator that was given the opportunity to basically retcon his whole life through a biographer and going for it instead of Kvothe being the Mary Sue of all Mary Sues

I unironically really like the way magic works in NotW though. I always found the concept of true names give power really interesting.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Guy A. Person posted:

But again maybe this is an inherent thing with the fantasy genre I just need to accept.

Or as I told my friend who recommended it “more like The Name of the Long Winded!”

I'd strongly refute this being an inherent fantasy trope. The Earthsea books, that Tulip mentioned, for example are an excellent counterpoint (and excellent series in general). I feel like it is more of an unfortunate recent habit of modern fantasy authors.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

I can’t remember from the top of my head if it has already come up in this thread and I don’t have the power to search:

What the hell is up with Dumbledore‘s brother and that goat thing? Why is the only implication of non-normative sex, that is actually in the books, apparently about bestiality?

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Going to vent for a second, since this thought hit me recently when I read to my young son.

Apart from her being a godawful person in general, I also have a pretty deep anger for JKR because I will probably never have the joy of reading to him/with him Harry Potter, at least not unless it is a highly annotated reading session.

We riff on the books pretty mercilessly because they frankly deserve it in lot of places, but there is no denying that they were pretty important to a lot of people growing up, especially those of us that practically grew up alongside Harry.

So on an irrationally personal level it feels like she has taken that away from me by being so goddamn lovely, because Death of the Author can only take you so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Zesty posted:

Have you considered reading another book? There are a lot of them. Some are even good.

There is so much poo poo from when you were younger that didn’t hold up. This is just another on that pile.

Save it for when he’s a teenager when he’s more receptive to reading critically. Point out you can still enjoy parts while being able to make criticisms.

Heh, yeah of course. We are reading tons of stuff. Some even good. I think it hits me because Harry Potter was very formative for me, although in all fairness I probably want to share the simple feeling of losing yourself in a book with him more than the actual Harry Potter stories. And you are absolutely right, there are tons of books that are suited for that.