Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
Around 8 years ago I rescued a tiny baby kitten that was under a bush in a snow storm. This little bastard thanked me by pissing over every square inch of carpet I have. Fucker refused to use the litter box. Changed litter, changed boxes, spent weeks picking him up and putting him in the box every 10 to 15 minutes but he just loving refused.

My wife and I split and she got a new house with her new boyfriend and I made her take the hellbeast pissboy with her. He pissed primarily in the bedrooms, of course, so I rented a dumpster and tore the carpet out of those rooms.

Now I want to know the best plan of action to fight this Godamned piss smell soaked into the floorboards. I was thinking coating it all with Kilz but will that even help/work? Do I need to replace the flooring too?

Godamned loving cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
If you're talking about sealing the piss into the floorboards, my first step would be kilz, that oil based stuff worked really well when I was trying to seal tannins from on my red oak windowframes and baseboards when I was painting them white (ruining them)... Obviously not the same as cat piss, however. That being said, the oil based paint takes a while to offgas and the smell sucks, so your house will smell like a chemical plant for a few days. You could try water-based sealant first, but I'm not sure if it'd even work/if it'd last very long once you put floor back over it.

Nuclear option, you could pull the boards up and put in new subfloor. That would be a pretty sucky job, but it'd definitely remove all trace of hell-cat. Unless they pissed on the bottom of your walls, as well.

(sorry about your piss house) :(

edit: Yeah, looking at the internet, lots of fellow hell-cat owners have actually had to pull and replace the subfloor. The good news is, if you had any problems with heating/cooling/mechanical in those rooms ever, you can fix it now.

originalnickname fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 12, 2020

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Kilz works on dog and human piss I think, cat piss (especially male) is a special breed of stink though... That's what we would use when I used to remodel/build houses at least. It's worth a shot!

Edit: added the word remodel for clarity

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 26, 2020

Souli
Aug 4, 2008

HERRO,I FRIE PRANE
I'm not much of an expert, but you probably should actually remove the odor causing material using an enzyme cleaner made for urine. Natures Miracle is geared towards animal urine, but there are plenty of other commercial products that work in the same way. To give you the best chance at removing the odor, I'd go the enzyme cleaner route, really let it soak and give it a few days to do it's job and dry. Then do your paint treatment if it still smells. Also, try to get an enzymatic cleaner that isn't loaded with fragrance, that poo poo sucks.

Souli fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 13, 2020

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Souli posted:

I'm not much of an expert, but you probably should actually remove the odor causing material using an enzyme cleaner made for urine. Natures Miracle is geared towards animal urine, but there are plenty of other commercial products that work in the same way. To give you the best chance at removing the odor, I'd go the enzyme cleaner route, really let it soak and give it a few days to do it's job and dry. Then do your paint treatment if it still smells. Also, try to get an enzymatic cleaner that isn't loaded with fragrance, that poo poo sucks.

They supposedly don't work if you've already cleaned it with something else, also I've ended up throwing out almost everything I've tried it on in the end, cat piss is some strong stuff.

But yeah try that too, the kilz is gonna act like an encapsulate or like an epoxy and ought to block though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
I'll pretty much do anything to keep from having to replace the subfloor since the full sheets go under walls and whatnot, I don't want to jack with cutting sections out halfway across the floor joist.