Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Spoonsy posted:

Holy poo poo I still have this account and I am stuck in my apartment and I really want to play Mafia none of my friends want to place Don't Push The Button on Jackbox and my girlfriend doesn't play board games.

In short, yes, I, Spoonsy, shall take my rightful place in this game and play Mafia.

Also lemme text Kloaked to see if he wants in

Ehh....maybe I should take a look at the game

Huh...whaddya know

merk posted:

The Boy Who Lived returns.

Oh cool

zzyzx posted:

Yes, please.

That'd be fun

Tom Tucker posted:

Sure I’ll try this “Mafia” thing out.

Oh gently caress yes

It has literally been over a decade I think since I've played. This will be interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I didn't make Kloaked's list I'm sad

Only because I didn’t see you there!

Where’s Tomato Soup? They need to host the N1 party

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

At least all of us uber-veterans will all be equally as terrible for not having played in god knows how long

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Hal Incandenza posted:

And everyone I learned how not to play from!

Now do you mean 50lbs, or Alasdair since he was Snape and that was his personal goal in the first Hogwarts game?

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

OFFICER LIGER posted:

dismissive of things...the one thing. pointing out a cognitive dissonance in andy's post is kicking up a ton of dust? also how is clicking profiles scummy? please, write it out. tell me how its scummy. i want to know your thought process.

To understand the thought process of Thomas Tucker is akin to trying to understand why the mountains rise from the earth, why the fruits produce juice for our nourishment or why the child requires his mother. It is unknowable.

In these times where the Dementors are around us, the python dark oman appears in the sky above, and we fight for the heart of magic itself, one does not question he who hath brough Mafia to the forums.

(I'm was working overnight last night and again tonight so slept all day. Skimmed the thread but will actually read through shortly. Thank goodness work doesn't block the forums)

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Also, is there somewhere that shows a vote count that updates in real time, or do we still wait for the vote count to be posted by Tokes/Max as above?

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I think CapnAndy is posting in good faith. This is purely based on what I remember of him as a player from 10 years ago, but that's what I've got right now. Scientastic also reads town to me since in my experience, it takes a select scum player to wantingly make the first effort for turning from the joke phase to real discussion.

I'm actually going to ##vote Epsilon Plus. Reading the thread through it stuck out to me that I saw multiple posts from him, but couldn't remember an actual stance he's taken on anytime. Clicking his ? confirmed this. He has posts, but it's all worthless filler. Even his vote for CapnAndy appears to be filler and the reasoning (if you can call it that) for the vote is mostly a joke. Reads to me as scum trying to appear to have substance without actually taking a stance on anything.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

He’s the current vote leader, so seems like a good time to un-self vote

Scientastic made basically the same case that I did but a little more eloquent, with the post having a feeling that it’s written as brand new information / accusation rather than a continuation / furtherance of the case I made. Would appreciate him commenting on why he wrote it that way

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Kloaked00 posted:

He’s the current vote leader, so seems like a good time to un-self vote

Never mind, read the vote count wrong. Now I see the active votes are the ones that are hyperlinked

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Are you saying that I made the same case on E+ that you made on Mikujin, or that you’re making the same case against Milujin and myself?

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Scientastic posted:

Although I did add something: I added quotes to back me up and try and convince others, where you were lazy and relied on players checking for themselves.

I appreciate the response. I’ve done similar things in the past, and I was basically looking to see if you would respond directly to me or not to help further guide my gut feeling on you. And I agree, the case is better with examples included rather than my description of what he was doing

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

merk posted:

It's the same overall point against both of you. You are here to make safe reads instead of hunt scum.

Which part do you consider the safe read. What I said about Andy/Sci or the case I put forth against E+ ?

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

merk posted:

All of it. Nothing you said in that post matters. You're lightly flinging stuff.

I’m not expecting to convince you of anything, but I definitely disagree. Andy was a prominent topic of discussion yesterday, and I made a firm read on him though it was based on weak evidence (e.g. a gut call from prior playing experience). I also made a firm read on Sci with reasoning to back it.

The case I made was a novel one, and is pretty much the same case you made against Mikuljin and myself. So, by that, you’re lightly flinging stuff as well. If I’m missing the difference, please explain (can’t figure out a way to word that where it’s an honest ask and doesn’t come off as defensive or sarcastic)

I guess we just differ on what we think constitutes a effort post

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I’d still like to hear Merk explain how my case against someone posting without having much actual content is light flinging and scummy, whereas his case against someone posting without having much actual content is a good-faith townie effort

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

merk posted:

I kind of flipped on this too. Kloaked jumping in to discredit my case against him by trying to highlight some hypocrisy and then fading off into nothingland without giving any new read is scummy.

I worked overnight so have been sleeping all day. I don’t necessarily disagree with your case, since I’m voting Absalon for similar reasons, I just was having difficulty understanding what I felt was hypocrisy on your part

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Consider this a vote for KK. I’m not actually doing it because putting him at -1 isn’t a smart idea but I have no problem doing it once we’re all ready to do so

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Amnistar posted:

Please explain to me the town motivation for wanting to claim closer to deadline?

I can answer for him. There’s not. The closer it gets to deadline the more likely a chance of panicky chaos which ends up in a lynch we learn even less from

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

zzyzx posted:

Might as well drop your vote now, instead of waiting.

If KK had roleclaimed I would be very likely to go ahead and do so, but putting him at -1 significantly increases the chance of someone who's not paying attention popping in a putting down the final vote. Now of course that person would get hella interrogated tomorrow, but the risks outweight the benefits at this moment. Especially since it's almost 11pm Eastern and the chances are that most people are not paying attention to the thread right now.

This is not me trying to appear willing to vote him but not having to actually do it. I have no problem being the second to last or the banhammer vote since I'm convinced that KK is going to be our best lynch option for D1.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Epsilon Plus posted:

also I hate to be the guy who does this because I think it's a lovely way to pad your postcount but: bowmore and ASAPRockySituation are in this game?

E+ continues to strike me as scummy. He realizes that what he's doing is scummy behavior, and is trying to make it okay by acknowledging it

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Epsilon Plus posted:

I may be a simple country Mafia player, but this reeks of scum meltdown

##vote Khris Kruel pretty convinced this is a good call, and also idk if I can take 24 more hours of this

It's pretty evident why putting KK at -1 is not the best idea right now but E+ doesn't seem to care bout that

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I don’t have an actual suspicion for Merk right now but I do want to test something

##vote merk

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Second test ##vote Officer Ligor

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Testing over, going back to my suspicion from yesterday ##vote Epsilon plus

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

xopods posted:

He and the other missing players have been moved to the "Spectators" column in Votefinder, so it's not going to pick up the vote if that's what you're testing.

I suppose it's possible Tokes will log a manual vote for him, but I imagine we'd have been told if we could vote for missing players.

Yeah, I was pretty sure that we wouldn’t be able to vote for them and that confirms my suspicion

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Dexanth posted:

speaking of which did a re-read on Kloaked and town vibes there. Wasn't as comfy with the soft -1 on KK because it didn't explain reasoning and was a swap from E+ without said reasoning at the time, but that's the only thing that pings me negatively

I still liked my vote on E+, thus my vote back on him after some vote testing, but it was clear that he was not going to be the lunchee for D1, so I had to look elsewhere. The KK case seemed reasonable so I supported it with post, but not vote. I wasn’t comfortable with him being at -1 since someone could skim, throw down a vote and then hammer is down without us being content with that (or scum hits the hammer under the guise of oops!)

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Which also leads to my further support of doing E+ today since he threw down a very non-chalant vote on KK to make him -1

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

So here's how my though process has gone over the last half hour or so:

I initially wanted to see if there was anyone at the end of Day 1 who 1) didn't have a vote down at the end of the day or 2) put down their first vote either on KK as the bandwagon was picking up steam, or one someone else as the KK wagon was going. My thinking was that someone who was participating but didn't have a vote down somewhere by the end of the day was scummy, as well as someone who looked to be putting a vote down just to get a vote down somewhere and not stand out for not voting. This lead me to look at the last several people to vote for KK: KCW, E+, Dexanth Zzyzx and Leith.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but the E+ vote stuck out again for me. Not only because it put KK at -1, but also because his single prior vote (which I still read as a bullshit/joke vote without real reason behind it) was on CapnAndy on April 15 at 6:30pm eastern. His last minute change to KK on April 16 at 11:09pm eastern reads further to me as a panic switch to further try and blend in. There's a lot of time between those two and he just keeps reeking of scum to me.

The other person that ended up catching my attention is Jose. I was looking at the votes on other people to look for #2 above, and in looking at Jose's posting history, it doesn't look very good. There's the usual vote phase voting stuff, then once we started real discussion, there's still not much content at all. He had a joke vote on merk in the joke phase, then his second vote on Scientastic is here on April 15 at 1:37pm

Jose Valasquez posted:

Trap sprung. Only a death eater would vote for me! ##vote Scientastic

That's it. That's all his votes for the day. He does say that he's willing to vote for KK here

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'm fine with the KK launch, you can pretend I voted for him, I'm just holding off in case anyone else wants to say anything before hammer.

Which admittedly is pretty much the same reason I said I would vote KK and didn't, so I don't hold that against him necessarily, but with him not having put forth really any effort, the two in combination make it feel scummy. He also likes to lament a lot how D1 is useless;

Jose Valasquez posted:

I generally agree with everyone who says D1 sucks always and if you execute scum you usually got lucky.

Out of everything posted so far Scientastic's posts bug me the most, the out of the gate liger case felt uninspiring and forced but I lean "bad townie d1 case" more than "bad scum d1 case"

bowmore and yuming and ASAPRockySituation should post more

Jose Valasquez posted:

This is a common complaint with me on day 1.

I'm not good at identifying scum on day 1 (and I argue nobody is, sometimes people are just lucky) and I think that executing scum on d1 is usually counterproductive because it doesn't give them enough time to tie themselves to their scum buddies.

None of the existing arguments are compelling to me, it all just reads like the usual d1 bickering that happens. I've even reread most of the post histories in the game looking for something because I want to get the game moving, but there just isn't anything there yet.

And gives an excuse for why even though he's started playing mafia back when me, Spoonsy, TT and CapnAndy did, why he's bad now:

Jose Valasquez posted:

At this point we are all pretty much rookies again

You can look through his post history yourselves, but you won't find really any content there. Now, I do agree that the veterans might be rusty and might not be used to any new metas, but we still know how to play mafia. And that includes Jose. He knows better than how he's playing right now and his lack of contribution for D1 though he knows better comes off as really scummy to me.

I still like my vote on E+, but I am also very willing to put down a vote on Jose

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Anyone care to comment on my Jose case?
I feel like it got lost in the shuffle

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Spoonsy posted:

Would still like to hear more from PQ as to the missing players, especially since we have no idea as to anyone involved’s alignment.

The missing players made their own individual choices to go missing today. I don’t know that 100% but pretty close to it. I believe PQ didn’t cause that but rather is speaking from personal knowledge of what can happen. We all know that the Harry Potter games have items/item-like game mechanics. This is just one of those

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I also think PQ is town simply based in the fact that I don’t feel scum would want to relay any extra information to the town if they can help it, even if it’s information that some town may already likely have. And the way he said it doesn’t read as a scum gambit, it reads honest to me

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

For the people who think Epsilon is scum, what is your read of this post?

It feels authentic to me. I don't think scum would say this about fakeclaims in this way.

It's not a free pass where I think Epsilon is confirmed town or anything, but it is more compelling to me than the cases against him at this point.

Eh, with this being a Token HP game, it’s strong precedent and clearly stated here that scum all have fake claims, so I don’t think that really has any part in helping my read

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

With the hindsight of knowing KK was scum and Scientastic is dead I think he was right about xopods and I think he was likely killed to take the heat off of xopods.

Wasn't able to be around much yesterday so working on reading through Day 2 again. This jumped out to me since KK was definitely not scum. I'm not saying this was a scumslip by Jose, but I'm having trouble thinking of a reason that Jose would call KK scum when he flipped as town

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

DBD made a case against Humalong toward the beginning of the day that I think merits a re-visit. I don't think I've ever played a game with him before, so I can't comment on his meta play, but DBD's case did get me to look at his post history thus far...…...and wow it's pretty sad.

One of the themes I found was a attitude of "I'm too cool to be with all you"

Mr. Humalong posted:

I didn’t read those essays the first time around and I’m sure as poo poo not reading them a second time, but good effort Leith.

Mr. Humalong posted:

Hal Incandenza posted:

Tom Tucker posted:

How about we read 50 more posts about you sucking
That will probably take about 2 more game days, so just hold tight
As if you could make 50 posts in two game days

Mr. Humalong posted:

ill show you a fuckin meltdown

*points to KK day 1*

He's also fond of giving vague opinions without committing to anything in particular

Mr. Humalong posted:

Last time I played with KK we were scum together and he also was the vote leader day 1. And he did something extremely similar to this.

I don’t have a lot of experience playing with him beyond that, though, so that’s really the extent of any meta insight I can offer.

Mr. Humalong posted:

I always get bad vibes from people who come in after some town flips and express that all their reads have been turned on their head and they need time to start all over.

Mr. Humalong posted:

I guess I have to read xopods, Amni, and crabman sigma now ugh. I will say I thought the whole "I didn't actually read that long rear end thesis but I'm gonna call you out on it" from Amni was funny and kinda scummy but I'm going to do my best to not let that color my read of him.

And when he has had cases made against him, he's very dismissing and doesn't actually respond to them with any sort of content

Mr. Humalong posted:

I think I was chosen as an easy opportunity to appear like they were scum hunting. I have more than 5 posts so they didn’t have to appear like they’re picking a lurker, but I haven’t written any essays so it also gave them an easy angle to take.

Mr. Humalong posted:

Dexanth posted:

I will cop to going for easy

I will also cop to 'I havent done this in years and years' and every time I tried to force content as town it rings false and works against me

Like, tbh, i'm not going to do much defending of myself. What will happen will happen; I don't want to get lynched, but I will flip town, and I'd rather my posts at that point have people going 'welp those were genuine reads after all turns out Dex was right when she said she was rusty' and that's that!!

and i know some people won't be happy with that but like, its fine.

Re: Humalong :

I haven't done full reread but since it's been asked, my read on Humalong is 'He got active when I put heat on him and as soon as that stopped he went quiet again' so that is scummy. I am still 100% happy to vote for him but since I can't like, you know, do ranked choice voting.

anyways i have some con meetings to run so i will try to keep eye on things but will be busy a lot of tonight
Convenient timing!

Finally, in the third example from the middle part above, he tells us that he's going to go back and read on a few people. Which is immediately followed by

Mr. Humalong posted:

I will be starting with E+ first because OH MY GOD WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU TWO

That was at 4:09pm. His next post was at 4:45 to remind CapnAndy that Pander is not present for discussion today, and that is his last post. He uses humor to deflect why he's not going to actually give us his thoughts on Xopods and Amni, and still hasn't given us that E+ read that he promised.

I still like my vote on E+ the most but I would also be very comfortable with voting for Humalog based on DBD's case and what I have found as well

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

xopods posted:

I would assume that's just a brain fart, as the argument only makes sense if he meant to write "Town" there.

His argument is that Scientastic thought I was scummy for the KK lunch and would vote me if KK flipped Town. Sci was therefore killed to take heat off of me. It's a simplistic argument, but at least it makes sense. Replace "Town" with "Scum" and it's doubly nonsense because KK wasn't Scum, and if he had been, I'd have far less heat on me.

I would guess so as well, but thought I'd at least point it out since I've seen scum caught on lesser weirdness before.

I know that I need to give an opinion on the vote leaders for today as well so I'll be working on that soon (in between my actual work so it won't be immediate)

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Add this to my post as a cross between "I'm too good for you" and not defending himself

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Mr. Humalong posted:

I don’t like this arrogance you’ve ascribed to me.

Maybe if you would give us some actual useful content and even *gasp* place a vote today, you might begin to come across differently

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

I meant to say "not scum" or town obviously. Why would that mistake indicate alignment either way?

No, like I said it was just a weird thing that caught my eye

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Epsilon Plus posted:

tbh I'd rather see someone spending casing or engaging with other cases than hashing out a bunch of words about how they're definitely not scum, especially on D2 when hum has... zero votes, and ended yesterday with one vote

I mean he's not really doing either but I don't think "not defending himself" is a scum tell of any kind

Agreed, it's not a particular scum tell. It's his complete lack of effort to do...well...….anything, including defending his behavior, that I'm finding scummy.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Alright, after reading through Day 2 again here's where I am

- VOTE FOR E+. So many of you guys have agreed that his play has been scummy / there are good reasons to vote for him. So do it!

- I retract my case on Jose. His Day 2 play is now feeling more what I'm used to from him as town

- Humalong continues to have little to no value to the town and I keep reading his play as scum playing the "I'm not scum, I'm just arrogant townie who doesn't care" card

-TT's post on xopods is a strong one. I like E+ and Humalong better which is why my vote is still on E+, but would be willing to vote for him too

- Spoonsy's lack of presence is townie to me, based on the meta that I know from him as playing scum. I feel that if he were scum there would be a feeling of forced effort rather that minimal effort. Still would like more participation from him because what he's done so far certainly has not been helpful

- Reading through Xopod's posts again led me to his interactions with Leith, which started feeling off. More of a scummy failing rather than townie defending vibe. That plus Jose's case on him here is enough for me to feel comfortable with voting him as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Mikujin posted:

It did, but sure.

I can see where you're coming from in here, but Jose isn't the first or last player to basically say "I suck at D1" or an equivalent. To that end, I think you could hotswap in literally any player who self-described as being useless D1 and the case would be just as meritorious.

Talking about votes, though, got me thinking: there's another player on your list that popped onto KK late-in-the-day: Deadbeat Dad. Similar to some of the other mentions, he only had one prior vote (jokevote on yuming), and the vote itself came well after he threw some spaghetti at KK that stuck.

Go give him a read; tell me if you think his interactions with D1 players (Sci, KK) and reticence to play "until he's cased" seem more damning than Jose.

Yeah, I already remitted on my Jose case

Read through DBD and it's kinda the same thing that I was feeling about Jose. Not much D1 content but has picked it up D2. Not a strong read on him either way, but I do like that he turned me on to the Humalong case