Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Burns posted:

Like what?
Disproving the idea that every significant person or event has to link back to the Skywalkers.

Rose's statement after stopping Finn from suicidebombing (fight for the things they love).

Injecting Del Toro's bit about profiteers making bank off of the wars.

And possibly most fun was the idea that the Resistance was turbofucked because of apathy and would have to find a new way to fight back.

Also Luke being disillusioned because his Hero's Journey had ended and he was now a part of someone else's story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

FilthyImp posted:

Disproving the idea that every significant person or event has to link back to the Skywalkers.

This is the one that gets bandied about the most, and the thing is, the movie just doesn't do anything with it. It has zero impact on the movie at all except like the final three minutes where Rey decides she wants to be a hero anyway and uses the force or whatever. Its Robot Devil levels of subversion.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

You can't just subvert things and boom, movie. You have to have a story and characters with motivations and make it interesting, which TLJ fails bothering with.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Some Goon posted:

the movie just doesn't do anything with it.
The whole film is Rey scrambling to fulfill some vague Destiny she feels she has that ties into her assumed Chosen Parentage. And Kylo / the Force Cave just say "you're just yourself. No special spaceblood." Instead of being fated to be a heroic figure, it's something she chooses to work towards, and it's something that pushes Luke out of his fear exile.

Though I'm not sure "hey sorry I almost killed you out of fear, let's force battle" is an adequate resolution for Luke/Kylo, but meh.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Did Rey have any reason to assume that her parents were anyone special? She thought that they were coming back for her eventually but it was an audience expectation that she was Luke’s daughter or something similar, I don’t recall any reason that she would care that her parents were nobodies

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

FilthyImp posted:

The whole film is Rey scrambling to fulfill some vague Destiny she feels she has that ties into her assumed Chosen Parentage. And Kylo / the Force Cave just say "you're just yourself. No special spaceblood." Instead of being fated to be a heroic figure, it's something she chooses to work towards, and it's something that pushes Luke out of his fear exile.

Though I'm not sure "hey sorry I almost killed you out of fear, let's force battle" is an adequate resolution for Luke/Kylo, but meh.

That'd be great, except its barely any of the movie. The entire excursion onto porglantet is Luke coming to terms with his past mistakes, moving on from said mistakes, and committing a heroic sacrifice to save the day, with the scene in the cave lasting all of a few minutes. And then you have the entire high low speed space chase, and some excursion to the prequels. Rey's interactions with Kylo / Snoke don't change in any meaningful way for not being a skywaker; she still fights the bad guys and goes off to work with the good guys just the same as someone who never questioned being a hero would, except she pauses for like 30 seconds.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Did Rey have any reason to assume that her parents were anyone special? She thought that they were coming back for her eventually but it was an audience expectation that she was Luke’s daughter or something similar, I don’t recall any reason that she would care that her parents were nobodies

She was kinda hung up on the whole 'being abandoned' thing, and had a bunch of weird visions relating to Luke's lightsaber in TFA.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Did Rey have any reason to assume that her parents were anyone special?
I recall the Maz Kanata excursion being "oh, the SKYWALKER lightsabre speaks to you ehhhhh wink wink". And the implication that her parents left her on Jakuu because &reasons&.
Plus all the poo poo implied by her being super force savvy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

JJ made such a big deal about parents that while in the film it was a character bit, the meta narrative was that they HAD to be someone.

Since they wrote TLJ before TFA was out, it became a bigger deal. It was never an interesting hook to me. So I was happy they said, yah ur just Rey.

It sucks that JJ thinks you can’t just be yourself.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
"You're not some special Chosen One from a Special Bloodline" would probably have had more weight if the movie hadn't also established "But you are a special Chosen One uniquely empowered by the Force to balance out the Darkness!"

And if the film hadn't had as it's B plot "You know that regular guy who literally has no family and just chose to be a hero because it's the right thing to do? Yeah, gently caress him, he's useless and achieves nothing positive."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

I recall the Maz Kanata excursion being "oh, the SKYWALKER lightsabre speaks to you ehhhhh wink wink". And the implication that her parents left her on Jakuu because &reasons&.
Plus all the poo poo implied by her being super force savvy.

Going into the Last Jedi, I'd assumed, because of that whole scene and the fact that Rey sees Luke's academy burning down and the Knights of Ren in her memory/vision flashes that Rey was one of Luke's students alongside Ben Solo and that she was basically the sole survivor of the massacre (aside from Ben and the kids who went on to become the Knights of Ren).

Her "parents" were the people who rescued her from the temple, took her to the farthest edge of the galaxy and went "Okay honey, hide here and wait for us to come back" and then got the hell out of Dodge and never looked back because they figured whoever really masterminded the attack (ie Snoke) would want to hunt her down the same way Palpatine hunted down all the survivors of Order 66, because poo poo like this is cyclical. It's like poetry, it rhymes. And Rey just suppressed the memories because she was a five year old who survived a mass slaughter and something something The Force.

And the fact that Luke's lightsaber "calls" to her wasn't that she was a secret Skywalker or the descendant of anyone Important, it was the Force pushing her back to Luke so that Teacher and Student could reunite and then--lol disney

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Angry Salami posted:

"You're not some special Chosen One from a Special Bloodline" would probably have had more weight if the movie hadn't also established "But you are a special Chosen One uniquely empowered by the Force to balance out the Darkness!"

And if the film hadn't had as it's B plot "You know that regular guy who literally has no family and just chose to be a hero because it's the right thing to do? Yeah, gently caress him, he's useless and achieves nothing positive."

The force learned its lesson about chosen ones after Anakin

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Rey is infinitely more a Chosen One than Luke ever was. In fact, one of the subversive aspect's of Luke's story is that his secret heritage is a horrific thing. He does inherit his father's psychic powers, but in the end his victory really has nothing to do with his magical abilities. He succeeds because of his abiding faith and love for his father, in spite of everything he's done.

Star Wars really isn’t about heroic bloodlines except in the latter-era EU (where the Skywalker/Solo kids always seem to be coming up with crazy new powers) and, more importantly, in the popular consciousness. In the Lucas films, there are plenty of people with prodigious Force talent who have nothing to do with the Skywalker line, and while both Obi-Wan and Yoda think the twins' abilities will make them powerful weapons against the Sith, they’re kind of wrong.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zoran posted:

Star Wars really isn’t about heroic bloodlines except in the latter-era EU
Eh, I dunno. The OT has that stuff with Leia in RotJ that comes out of left field. The PT hosed it sideways thanks to Anakin's Forcebirth Jesus thing. And poo poo, Rise has Ben, Rey Palpatine-Skywalker, AND a rando Storm Trooper that probably is Lando's daughter.

We sure as gently caress have alot of writers trying to make it a dynastic mess.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I maintain that TLJ is actually 2 movies shoehorned into one and its biggest faults are created because of it.

It’s like the opposite of the Hobbit series.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
haha isn’t it weird that both sides are backed by the same nefarious corporate interests??? anyway the solution is for the big hero of yesteryear to believe in himself again and do a big sacrifice in front of a dozen witnesses

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

oliwan posted:

For my view on TLJ, please check the OP.

I think Vince Mancini of filmdrunk is the best movie critic in the world, and his review of TLJ is very good, you can read it here:

'The Last Jedi’ Subverts Some Of The Worst ‘Star Wars’ Tropes

This person praises the subversion of Finn performing a Noble Sacrifice, but ignores that Holdo had her Noble Sacrifice ten minutes earlier and Luke has his Noble Sacrifice 5 minutes later.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Zoran posted:

haha isn’t it weird that both sides are backed by the same nefarious corporate interests??? anyway the solution is for the big hero of yesteryear to believe in himself again and do a big sacrifice in front of a dozen witnesses

Luke had to sacrifice himself so kids will play with Star Wars action figures again.

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012

SolarFire2 posted:

This person praises the subversion of Finn performing a Noble Sacrifice, but ignores that Holdo had her Noble Sacrifice ten minutes earlier and Luke has his Noble Sacrifice 5 minutes later.

Plus the line delivered to Finn about saving what you love is exactly what he was trying to do with his kamikaze run into the big gun, trying to protect the rebels. He wasn't doing it out of hate, so it didn't really have the intended impact.

And subversion for subversion's sake doesn't make good writing. Particularly if you're fundamentally changing the personality of established characters. Luke for instance, who saw the glimmer of good in his father, one of the biggest mass-murderers in the galaxy and managed to redeem him to win the day, decides to off his own nephew because he freaked out at the dark side in him? Pretty lame when you remember this takes place way before he's in disillusioned hermit mode. If you're going to subvert expectations, which is apparently the big draw of this movie, you should at least sell it as convincing and necessary. Give a solid justification that is delivered in the actual story and not in some convoluted apologist fan-analysis. It could even have worked if it was properly developed and allowed room to breathe, instead we get a brief scene and a bit of exposition that we're just supposed to accept. Imagine if Johnson had spent some time developing the corruption of Ben Solo and his tutelage under Snoke and less effort on a charmless romp on 1-percenter world, we'd have had a much better and more coherent film IMO.

Burns
May 10, 2008

In my own head canon the robot xhicken emperor is the only tru emperor.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hi everyone, just coming back to this thread because I thought I'd let you know that I have now watched "The Mandalorian", and my opinion is that it sucks but its good if you want to watch it stoned because its pretty to look at and it has great music to lock into and you won't miss the total lack of things like character development or just any kind of development at al really

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Actually The Mandalorian is good.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

dialhforhero posted:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Mandalorian is good but it's not good for the reason a lot of people think it's good. Like it's not good because it acknowledges Life Day or uses deep cut action figures as actual canon spaceships. Those are just outward manifestations of why it's good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like Rey, Finn and Poe, but I wish they were in better movies.

I really like Rey. :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Same here. The Last Jedi got like 50% of the way to being a good movie, which makes it phenomenal compared to its immediate predecessor and successor, but yeah those three plus Rose and Kylo Ren really deserved a better, more cohesive storyline.

Here's hoping the Sequel Trilogy gets a Clone Wars/Rebels interstitial series at some point in the future that redeems its worth like the former did with the Prequel Trilogy. Because Resistance ain't it, fam.

And honestly, I'm being 100% real, I would have been mostly okay with Rise of Skywalker if they just changed three things: don't make Rey Palpatine's granddaughter, that's gross, let Rose come on the stupid McGuffin chase with the big kids, and give Rey her her yellow scavenger lightsaber right at the start of the movie instead of in the last 10 seconds of it.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
The Mandalorian is good because it utilizes the Star Wars universe in the best way/format possible.

Serialized side stories.

Everything post OT that has done this is at least okay if not great.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Finn should have been the main character in the sequels, Rey should have been a side character he meets and they should have fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. Yeah, they should have hot wet sex, in a Star Wars movie. Now, here's the twist, and there is a twist. We show it. We show all of it. Because what's the one major thing missing from all action movies these days, guys? Full penetration. Guys, we're going to show full penetration, and we're going to show a lot of it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
You have have gone a bit too far in some places :stare:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

When they first realized they were being tracked through hyper spaced I assumed this was going to be the case, that Holdo was being super secretive because anyone on the couple of ships left was the person leaving a trail for the first order, but then this is never even brought up as a thing in the movie. A lot of the character's actions in the chase make more sense if they're all paranoid about that.

just remake 33 from Battlestar Galactica as a star wars movie

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Finn should have been the main character in the sequels, Rey should have been a side character he meets and they should have fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. Yeah, they should have hot wet sex, in a Star Wars movie. Now, here's the twist, and there is a twist. We show it. We show all of it. Because what's the one major thing missing from all action movies these days, guys? Full penetration. Guys, we're going to show full penetration, and we're going to show a lot of it.

Same but it's porgs

Musluk
May 23, 2011

HOT RANCOR SEX neon sign in the background

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

oliwan posted:

Over the last three days during isolation I finally watched the 3 new star wars films while smoking weed. I don't know poo poo about these, and i haven't followed the "hype", but I thought you might be interested to read my thoughts.

Star Wars the Force Awakens
: Sorry, can't really remember this one. Who actually directs these things? Oh it's JJ Abrams, the biggest hack in Hollywood. Makes sense I guess?

Star Wars The Last Jedi Wow this one is actually good, and brings the franchise into the 21st century. I mean it's not perfect, but it's enjoyable, solid film making that you can watch without being embarrassed. It finally does away with the dumb monarchy poo poo too. Guess JJ has finally learned something?

Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker: Goddamn yikes this is absolute trash and they did away with everything that made the last jedi good? :chloe: Now that's the JJ I know.

Ok, thanks for reading everyone!

edit: sorry i forgot about the thread icon

I fully agree with these reviews. I was actually looking forward to the third one after Last Jedi then JJ jumped back on as the writer/director and I knew it would be garbage because JJ can come up with some decent scenarios and characters but couldn't actually end a story in any way acceptable if there was a gun pointed at his head, and yep I was right.

to add insult to injury the original 3rd film script leaked and it was loving good. Oof.

Rise of Skywalker was a worse letdown than the ending to loving game of thrones.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

dialhforhero posted:

:hmmyes:

Mando and Rogue 1 are the best star wars things in years.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

They, and Rose, were loving robbed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I fully agree with these reviews. I was actually looking forward to the third one after Last Jedi then JJ jumped back on as the writer/director and I knew it would be garbage because JJ can come up with some decent scenarios and characters but couldn't actually end a story in any way acceptable if there was a gun pointed at his head, and yep I was right.

to add insult to injury the original 3rd film script leaked and it was loving good. Oof.

Rise of Skywalker was a worse letdown than the ending to loving game of thrones.

I hope one day they do what they did for Lucas's first draft of A New Hope and give Duel of the Fates a comic book adaptation treatment just so that we can have it in some appreciable fashion.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Sorry, the last good Star Wars movie was made in the 80's.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

nine-gear crow posted:

You have have gone a bit too far in some places :stare:

It's an It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia reference.

Anyway, I just spent almost two hours watching this and I liked it a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywT7arOAnc4

The last 35-40 minutes are just his pitch for how he would do it. I'd watch that instead of the crap we got any day.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I read it in Trump’s voice and it worked just fine as a joke post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Thread tag and title have been updated! Keep fighting the good fight star warriors!