Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Should we just make a new thread? We were about to enter a new standard year anyway, and the OP is perma'd. Here's what I put together so far
title "Hearthstone: Forged in the Barrens Chat"

It's Blizzard's take on Magic: The Gathering, drawing inspiration from World of Warcraft lore. The newest cycle of cards appears to be taking influence specifically from vanilla (or "classic" if you prefer) WoW, with the first expansion being Horde focused, the second likely Alliance themed, and the third being Alterac Valley, based on this preview image:

Big Changes for this year

Year of the Gryphon: The current rotation is the Year of the Gryphon. This includes the Year of the Phoenix cards (Ashes of Outland, Scholomance Academy, and Madness at the Darkmoon Faire) as well as the Year of the Gryphon sets (currently Forged in the Barrens. New sets come out about every 4 months, so the next one will probably be around July).

Core Set: Blizzard continues its trend of learning what the Magic: The Gathering team learned 20 years ago. They're replacing the old Basic and Classic sets with a new Core set that will be modified every year and will be created from a mix of new and old cards. The Core set will also be free to all players, allowing everyone to have a decent base of cards to work from no matter when they start.

Mercenaries: Not much is known about this new game mode, so far it looks like a Slay the Spire clone.

Classic: Play the game as it was back when it was first released.

Game modes

Standard: Compete against other players using a deck of 30 cards from the newest core set, this year's expansions, and all of the previous calendar year's expansions. There's are casual and ranked queues.

The ranking system goes Bronze-Silver-Gold-Platinum-Diamond-Legend, with the first five divisions having 10 ranks each. Based on your final ranking from the previous month, you get bonus stars that make you climb the initial ladder faster. Every 5 ranks, and Legend, is a floor you can't drop below, and provides rewards at the end of the month.

Wild: Same as Standard except that you have access to all the cards.

Battlegrounds: If standard Hearthstone is wizard poker, this mode is wizard slots. Try to create the strongest board of minions from a semi-random selection, then watch in horror as the RNG pulls out a miraculous victory for your opponent.

Arena: Draft a deck of 30 cards and play to either 12 wins or, much more likely, 3 losses.

Duels: This mode is the old dungeon run adventures converted to multiplayer. Build an initial deck of 15 cards and a pick of starting hero power and treasure, then play until you hit 12 wins or 3 losses. After every game, you're offered a few cards to add to your deck, and are often also offered a treasure that is either a powerful card or a passive ability that stays in effect for the rest of the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Yeah, I was thinking about a new thread. Maybe a better time would be a week or so before the new expansion actually releases. I'm not sure there is a date set in stone yet.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Thirded for new thread

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Flayer posted:

### Tech
# Class: Warlock
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 1x (1) Demonic Studies
# 2x (1) Mortal Coil
# 2x (1) Rain of Fire
# 2x (1) Spirit Jailer
# 1x (1) Supreme Archaeology
# 2x (2) Mo'arg Artificer
# 2x (2) Plot Twist
# 2x (2) Soul Shear
# 2x (3) Dark Skies
# 2x (3) Free Admission
# 2x (3) School Spirits
# 2x (4) Cascading Disaster
# 2x (4) Fire Breather
# 1x (5) Kobold Stickyfinger
# 2x (6) Aranasi Broodmother
# 1x (6) Riftcleaver
# 1x (8) Twisting Nether
# 1x (10) C'Thun, the Shattered
#
AAECAa35AwbbBuujA/+kA4ixA+zRA7/gAwzECNqWA9qbA+usA+2sA+m+A6zLA8zSA83SA5LeA5XeA8beAwA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Originally made this deck specifically to beat Evolve Shamans so it's out of date now but the basic idea of rushing through your deck while clearing/healing stands (I guess I swapped out the second Kobold for a Riftcleaver at some point for... reasons). It was good against Rogue too.

Got the achievement after three games with this deck, thanks!

Also yes, new thread.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
I'M GOING TO BECOME THE JOKER

priest has 2 novas, a ruin, a duskbreaker, a breath and a mass hysteria against treant druid in duels. caballed my 2/12 guy, ouch, whatever

but its fine, i pull a board of 8 drops out of my rear end

his third was deathwing dragonlord, god knows what the fourth was. probably core set deathwing

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think I'll make a new thread once we're closer to rotation, I originally asked because I thought I could make the new thread before the move, but now we're already here, so we might as well ride it out for a bit.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I was confused why this thread was in my RSS again.

Thread is already over 200 pages, I also agree that a new thread is probably best. Shed some of the history that we have and start anew.

*grumble* *grumble* Win 5 ranked weekly quest

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sirtommygunn posted:

the OP is perma'd.

I was robbed I tells ya.

I'd hold off on making the thread for a little while because we'll almost definitely find out more about Mercenaries and such in the lead up to it's release. If someone is curious and clicks on the thread and sees "oh there's going to be an STS mode, or something?" that's less likely to be relevant than an actual explanation, imo.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
This is a weird thing, but since the update have the "active/new quest" noises become unbearably loud for anyone else? It's like they've somehow been untethered from my in-game volume settings (i.e very low indeed) and cranked up to maximum. Might barely be noticeable for some, but I have both Windows and HS sounds very low ie sub 20% because my headphones are natively real loud with my setup.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Welcome to Games!

Definitely feel free to reboot the thread whenever you think it's the right time. Shoot any of us mods a PM and we'll close the old one for you when the time comes since the OP can't exactly do it themselves :v:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Jeza posted:

This is a weird thing, but since the update have the "active/new quest" noises become unbearably loud for anyone else? It's like they've somehow been untethered from my in-game volume settings (i.e very low indeed) and cranked up to maximum. Might barely be noticeable for some, but I have both Windows and HS sounds very low ie sub 20% because my headphones are natively real loud with my setup.

Yeah it happened to me, I had just forgotten about it by the time I was posting. I think you're right about the cause of it too, because it's just those sound effects.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I’ve made it to the lofty heights of Diamond 2 in Wild! Maybe I’ll actually make Legend!

I am weak. I gave into my hatred. I turned my back on the light of pure paladin, and started playing Res Priest because I was sick of losing to it. My victories are hollow, my achievements are as ash in my mouth

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

a true hearthstone player would know the difference between honor and victory

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Is there any calculation of your current level vs. what you WOULD have gotten if you ponied up for the tavern pass?

Curious how much gold I did miss out on, but I'm not in the ridiculous 160's and such without it right now. Currently around 110'ish I think?

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Is there any calculation of your current level vs. what you WOULD have gotten if you ponied up for the tavern pass?

Curious how much gold I did miss out on, but I'm not in the ridiculous 160's and such without it right now. Currently around 110'ish I think?

Guy on reddit made a spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Mwem_kif7W0NG0b9m0OFRVbZlwL6_SpO/edit#gid=17006923

Takes 200 levels to make 2k.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Thank you for moving us, Prag and hello games!
A reboot is probably in order before the new year starts off, yeah.q

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I've come to a stark realization that I won't be able to complete the Rogue Shenanigans/banana cheevo in low-rank Wild ladder because these player's decks don't have any card draw :/

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

I've come to a stark realization that I won't be able to complete the Rogue Shenanigans/banana cheevo in low-rank Wild ladder because these player's decks don't have any card draw :/

Play Coldlight Oracle and make it a mill deck!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Play Cho and feed them draw spells

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I haven't played since 2017 and picked up the Looking Sharp deck as well as some packs -- can I get a recommendation for a tempo-based deck or decks? I do have a bunch of leftover gold and dust and can craft up pretty much anything.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

terre packet posted:

I haven't played since 2017 and picked up the Looking Sharp deck as well as some packs -- can I get a recommendation for a tempo-based deck or decks? I do have a bunch of leftover gold and dust and can craft up pretty much anything.
### Whirlkick Rogue
# Class: Rogue
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (0) Shadowstep
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (0) Backstab
# 2x (1) Wand Thief
# 2x (1) Secret Passage
# 2x (1) Prize Plunderer
# 2x (1) Pharaoh Cat
# 2x (1) Brain Freeze
# 2x (2) Whirlkick Master
# 2x (2) Swindle
# 2x (2) Foxy Fraud
# 2x (2) Eviscerate
# 2x (3) Questing Adventurer
# 2x (3) EVIL Miscreant
# 1x (4) Edwin VanCleef
# 1x (5) Jandice Barov
#
AAECAaIHArIC2dEDDrQB7QKXBogHhgmPlwP7ogP1pwOqywPHzgOk0QPf3QPn3QPz3QMA
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

If you like tempo and whizzy resource generation that is the deck to play. However even if you do have plenty of dust and gold I would wait to craft anything until the next expansion drops (best guess at the moment is on the 22nd of March). The game will look very different then so anything you invest in now could potentially be rendered less valuable or even completely redundant.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Thunderking hero+card back is in the shop right now for gold or money. It’s not there for me but I already own it so maybe that’s why.

Also apparently the core set is being revealed on the 25th.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Why did they even push the Taunt comp in BGs when it's so bad. Even Demons are better at clawing a Top 4.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
All the new taunt stuff just makes greybough stupid broken when you can pull it off. It's gross and I hate it. Demons have also been real good to me since the darkmoom faire poo poo ended, it was so fast during that time, half the game shooting to tier 5 on 10 gold sort of stuff. The other thing I notice about the taunt stuff is the fella that boosts attack permanently now is a great temp slot to add to elementals which really didn't need the help

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I see a lot of the taunt minions as bridge units at tier 3 and 4, they're definitely powerful for that, and require less of a commitment for a midgame build than soul jugglers, so you transition out of them easily when you find something that scales.

Taunt as an endgame comp is pretty hopeless though (again, unless you're greybough and you hit the nuts)

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
The one that buffs neighbours on death is over tiered and is rarely a good pick. The one that buffs attack is good now for mid tier. The one that scales on taunts being attacked can be good, but it has no tribe and is vulnerable to poison like any big minion.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I can see a temporary 4/5 early game is alright, and a Qiraji whatnot at 4 can give you a little tempo but the build is fundamentally unsynergistic (yes, unless you're Greybough). It has one actual scaling unit and requires multiple enabling units that cannot be scaled themselves unless for some reason you taunt them which defeats the purpose. So you have to put your taunts up front to attack in order to get any value, and you lose any of the 'get attacked' merit of the build. It badly needs another battlecry that buffs taunts and possibly even a pre-taunted deathrattle that buffs taunts or has some other beneficial effect as well so you can at least have a shot at a decent finish with Brann or Baron. Strongshell Scavenger at 5 is just hopeless, and frankly better in any other comp because at least taunting every minion in other comps is a valid strat. Right now there isn't even a slot for Brann and so on because even with a Golden 4/5, Qiraiji and Champion of Y'Shaarj, the theoretical dream combo, you're completely board-locked. Even cutting the 4/5 and losing your taunt scaling, with Brann you also need a buff slot so you can have max 3 taunts (or 4 if you can manage to find an Argus), and you'll be attacking first with them anyway.

Losing Elistra has removed the only relevant 6 drop for the comp saving maybe Imp Mama, which is already a supreme edge case. IDK. I know people will say it's just transitional, but they shouldn't bother making a whole slew of units and pushing a direction if it's complete bait. If you try to build it to it's maximum potential, you're just setting yourself up to lose and that's stupid. The only unit that has any relevance is Champion of Y'shaarj, and only because if you get it early and happen to have taunts, you can fit it into a different tribal comp.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

My experience is that certain Taunt minions are really good but the overall Taunt package loving blows when you try to make it work

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
LMAO I just got a bucket in Duels titled "Why? Why not?" that was just 3 Blood of the Ancient Ones

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Devo posted:

LMAO I just got a bucket in Duels titled "Why? Why not?" that was just 3 Blood of the Ancient Ones

This is a massive tangent but this reminds me of my favourite business name of all time, a tile place named 'why not tiles?'

I used to drive past there once a week or so and whenever I would I'd say to myself in a motivational speaker tone of voice 'well Malcolm, why NOT tiles?'

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Played Demon + Greybough and went full Taunt build plus the Demon that gains boosts based on summons. Got second to poison Murlocs, but glad it worked well enough. Outside of that, I’d agree that taunt just isn’t that attractive as a comp.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
This has to be the most powerful battlegrounds start possible, right?

I'm never going to be this lucky again

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The Taunt minions are very much meant to be transitional stuff, I don't think they're intended as a comp you can regularly bring to endgame. It's like a Soul Juggler "comp". Arm of the Empire also sometimes works as a splashable scaling unit. Qiraji Harbinger can carry your midgame with a few Taunts. Champion of Y'Shaarj is pretty much a meme minion but can potentially be in your endgame comp if the stars align.

They're fine as they are imo. Playing Taunt synergy minions isn't necessarily at the cost of doing another scaling comp too, Mechs and Menagerie can often fit in an Arm or Qiraji for a few turns before replacing them with a 'Don or whatever. It's also good that we have these minions intended to be strong in the midgame so every game doesn't just turn into a powerlevel fiesta

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 25, 2021

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Been playing Kibler's Rustwix deck for a couple of days, gone 18-9 so far. 3-0 against other warlocks, 3-0 against mages, 4-1 against priests.

### all the way down
# Class: Warlock
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (1) Armor Vendor
# 1x (1) Felosophy
# 2x (1) Mortal Coil
# 2x (1) Plague of Flames
# 1x (1) Supreme Archaeology
# 1x (2) Kanrethad Ebonlocke
# 2x (2) Plot Twist
# 2x (2) Questing Explorer
# 2x (3) Dark Skies
# 2x (3) Hysteria
# 1x (3) Sense Demons
# 2x (4) Hellfire
# 1x (4) Sky Gen'ral Kragg
# 1x (5) Envoy Rustwix
# 1x (5) Kobold Stickyfinger
# 1x (5) Vectus
# 2x (6) Aranasi Broodmother
# 2x (6) Khartut Defender
# 2x (8) Twisting Nether
#
AAECAeL5AwjcBuujA4ixA/O3A9a5A4rSA87SA/bjAwvbBrYHxAjalgPamwOhoQO7pQOdqQPrrAP44wOS5AMA
#

Hellfires were there specifically to counter the turn 4/5 Alura -> Tip The Scales, but with the death of that deck it's possible they should be School Spirits instead, or something else entirely. Stickyfinger can likewise be swapped for whatever you like

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

blizzardvizard posted:

The Taunt minions are very much meant to be transitional stuff, I don't think they're intended as a comp you can regularly bring to endgame.

One of the biggest problems with BG is there are only like... 4?... actual builds you can win the game with. Theres Dragons, Menagerie, Poison Murlocs and... occasionally deathrattle beasts? And everything else is just a transition to one of those.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

From experience on both sides of the situation, one build is George With Full Divine Shields And A Board That Otherwise Doesn't Suck Too Bad

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Elysium posted:

One of the biggest problems with BG is there are only like... 4?... actual builds you can win the game with. Theres Dragons, Menagerie, Poison Murlocs and... occasionally deathrattle beasts? And everything else is just a transition to one of those.

Did the Khadgar nerf destroy the silly pirate comp? I never even thought about that. Although in fairness, actually pulling that off is...not common.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
BGs seem generally more varied and fun when Murlocs aren't involved as any flavour of Generic Big Minion or general stats overload is dangerous due to the scarcity of Poison.

Jeza posted:

Did the Khadgar nerf destroy the silly pirate comp? I never even thought about that. Although in fairness, actually pulling that off is...not common.
Yeah it's hard to pull off because it has very specific requirements and only becomes viable to survive with once it's very close to completion.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Elysium posted:

Mechs can win the game, heroes like Rag and C'Thun (and Millie of course) are particularly suited for it, although by default it's definitely harder to scale with than others. Pirates with enough Hoggers, on paper, has the gold to keep rolling for a triple Selfless + Baron and more and just win with gigantic stats. Lil Rag is also a real comp but it does feel like a consolation prize if you don't hit Kalecgos sometimes. All of those basically need Brann to really shine though.

Sometimes you also identify that you're probably not winning the game and you make plans for a top 4 finish by focusing on your midgame, and that's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I've been working on adjustments to the Spell Damage Elemental Mage deck, involving a card that got completely overlooked when Darkmoon Faire released.

I was inspired by this, emphasis mine:

vS Data Reaper Report #187 posted:

Firebrand is okay, until you realize that Arcane Explosion is absurdly good in the deck (very often a 2-mana Flamestrike), to the extent that Firebrand is almost redundant as a result of its presence. It doesn’t contribute much to the deck’s burn plan since it doesn’t target face and has awkward synergy with Arcane Missiles (Explosion helps you direct your missiles to face).

Spell-Damage Mage is desperate for card draw, yet Arcane Intellect is quite underwhelming. Elemental Allies is the best choice alongside Cram Session. Builds running Allies look clearly superior, but both of these draw engines would like more activators. This is where Mana Reservoir comes in, a card that is surprisingly decent in the deck due to its multiple synergies and stickiness to the board.

The card?

I was blown away when I saw this card in my collection, not even knowing where it came from. But in a deck that plays elementals, draws cards, needs spell damage, and burns face, fitting 2 of those categories is pretty good.

The other driving force behind this was justifying the cuts of Jandice Barov/Mask of C'Thun from the deck. I had enough of drawing/playing these high mana cards and losing, and finally the stats are starting to back up that feeling. The addition of Gyreworm gives much needed clearance to play elementals for tempo while still having enough gas to power all Elemental Allies. And I don't think I need to speak to the utility of 3 target-able damage.

Combined with the Bloodmage Thalnos synergy tech, I've finally got a decklist that as been responding well enough on ladder, and I'm willing to run in MTQs for all the marbles:

### Burn Elemental
# Class: Mage
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (1) Arcane Missiles
# 2x (1) Elemental Allies
# 2x (1) Lab Partner
# 2x (1) Primordial Studies
# 2x (1) Violet Spellwing
# 2x (1) Wand Thief
# 2x (2) Arcane Explosion
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 2x (2) Confection Cyclone
# 2x (2) Cram Session
# 2x (2) Frostbolt
# 2x (2) Imprisoned Phoenix
# 2x (2) Mana Reservoir
# 2x (3) Gyreworm
# 2x (4) Fireball
# 1x (5) Ras Frostwhisper
#
AAECAf0EAu0F0M4DDrsCvwO0BJYFzp0D+6wD868Dhc0Dzc4DpNED99ED+N0DjOEDh+QDAA==
#
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net