Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
It would be funny if one year, the core set was made up of all the least played cards ever made.

(So basically TGT :v: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remember deadly arsenal??? no???

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I got sick of the current Standard meta and decided to hop into some Wild for basically the first time. Had no idea what to play, so I netdecked the first highly rated thing I saw at hsreplay, which was secret mage.

Won my first game, lost my second, then uh...

Not to brag or anything; this just seems bizarre. It feels like I can't lose. To make things even weirder, I've only run into the mirror match twice so far, and I don't think I've ever played against a deck that seemed to be built to counter this one. Why does Wild apparently have a tier 1 deck that hardly anyone is playing as or against? Am I just getting supremely lucky?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Wild is basically a casual mode. Most people queue into it to play some old deck they have nostalgia for or try to put together some bullshit combo they saw in a Trolden video.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
It's the last day of the month, I'd guess everyone else ranking up with Secret Mage has done so already.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Secret Mage is a beast of a deck and best I can figure is that everyone just agrees not to play it?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

It should be slightly better than now, though, with a lot of terrible beasts rotating out and a lot of good ones left. Still, there's such a huge variance in possibilities (e.g. Owl vs Krush) that it could never be one of those deck defining cards, especially at its cost.

It’s around almost purely to lower the quality of the average 7 drop but its very existence means that blizzard can’t print too many high cost beasts without also adding low cost ones to balance it out, because the random nature of the effect means that if it’s ever too good it’s a huge issue, but as long it’s an overall bad card it doesn’t matter that it can highroll 1% of the time and be an improved Brann (which by the way is hardly the lofty peaks of Hearthstone highrolls). When you consider that they had the entire history of hearthstone cards to choose from it just astounds me that they kept it

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

But he's the BARRENS stablehand! How could we go to the Barrens without such an iconic character?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So neutrals aside, what do people think of each class' core set (with phoenix cards and no uh... dragon? No last year cards)?

I think it's safe to say Shaman and Paladin are huge winners, but beyond that:

I think Warrior and DH came out ok. DH's got a solid game plan for midrange. Losing Skull hurts, but Raging Felscreamer into Illidari Inquistor is a modestly better Inner Demon which is a good finisher, and it's early/midgame cards are good.

Warrior has some good control cards, though I'm not sure how Grom will be without Inner Rage.

Rogue: lol

Mage and Druid are kinda eh. No card draw for druid is pretty bad since it seems to want a zoo deck with those core cards. Mage lost some big early game cards and combo pieces, too.

Priest, Hunter and Warlock are a bit harder to evaluate. Warlock's big missing point to me is Voidwalker. Zoo doesn't care much for stuff like Jaraxxus, but a control Warlock will hurt for that loss.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Priest lost the good silences in exchange for a very mediocre one, it lost most of it's card generation (Thoughtsteal) in exchange for a not-terrible tutor, it lost it's best minion (Cabal Shadow Priest) in exchange for more things reinforcing this nonexistent minion buff priest, and it lost it's early-game board control except for Holy Nova and Holy Smite in exchange for Shadowform.

By and large I think Priest is a loser overall. It has some interesting pieces but without a) consistent card draw or b) an actual finisher I just don't see how any of them come together. It's removal and value generation is much more limited than it used to be so these pre-existing flaws don't really have counterbalanced strengths anymore. If you look at the cards it's really hard to answer "what is Priest good at now?". It can buff minions on board, but almost exclusively for health. Granted that I haven't double-checked what other cards remain in standard yet... but my gut reaction is that controlling Priests will get run over early, aggro Priests will run out of gas, and combo Priest will be nonexistent.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Acerbatus posted:

DH's got a solid game plan for midrange. Losing Skull hurts, but Raging Felscreamer into Illidari Inquistor is a modestly better Inner Demon which is a good finisher, and it's early/midgame cards are good.

Skull is in Ashes of Outland, so it's not rotating

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Devils Affricate posted:

I got sick of the current Standard meta and decided to hop into some Wild for basically the first time. Had no idea what to play, so I netdecked the first highly rated thing I saw at hsreplay, which was secret mage.

Won my first game, lost my second, then uh...

Not to brag or anything; this just seems bizarre. It feels like I can't lose. To make things even weirder, I've only run into the mirror match twice so far, and I don't think I've ever played against a deck that seemed to be built to counter this one. Why does Wild apparently have a tier 1 deck that hardly anyone is playing as or against? Am I just getting supremely lucky?

If you've only just started playing Wild you probably don't have enough MMR to see the meta consistently.

But yes, Secret Mage is that good. It's easily the best deck in the game, and even hard tech against it is doesn't do much against it's effectiveness.

It's probably a lesson in that the balance team really struggle to appropriately cost conditional cards as well.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I wonder what they’re planning to do about golden copies of brand new core set cards, will they grant them to everyone or make you craft them.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.

Blasmeister posted:

I wonder what they’re planning to do about golden copies of brand new core set cards, will they grant them to everyone or make you craft them.

Didn’t they at some point say that you unlock the core cards by leveling, like it is now with the basic set? If that’s the case, you should get the golden versions if your heroes are at the appropriate level, I guess.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

B-Mac posted:

BGs may be less RNG and slower now but it feels worse to play for some reason. It’s feels like if you don’t get locked into a build early you have no chance at winning. To be fair I’m probably just poo poo and that’s why.
I don't agree with needing a build to win. Imo it has actualloy gotten easier to at least top 4 with just going for stats. I mean there's a difference in the mmr tiers but I'm creeping up on 6k and my basic process(for heroes that don't want to press their button) is to level on 4, 7, and 9 gold. I only lvl on 8 gold now when I get lucky and have a stronger than expected board. Going to 5 usually happens once I can lvl and buy on the same turn and if I don't desperately need to catch up with the lobby. Aside from that it's just the basic process of getting stats, shields and a poison or two. My trash runs now are really the ones where I don't get some steady stat growth instead of not finding certain units

Here's the last game I played today and that's not a comp at all. I even still got a buff slot sticking around for the final fights which was really bad in the previous meta

Olpainless posted:

But yes, Secret Mage is that good. It's easily the best deck in the game, and even hard tech against it is doesn't do much against it's effectiveness.
Ehh, don't really agree with that. It's very strong but a good part of its win rate comes from it destroying people in the lower ranks with bad decks and not enough knowledge of the secrets and the match-ups. I've been feasting on it this season with odd warrior and kingsbane can also out-aggro it a good portion of the time. I don't play reno decks but I would assume they also beat it often enough. It's basically the best "grinder" deck in wild but not the best deck imo

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

MuLepton posted:

Didn’t they at some point say that you unlock the core cards by leveling, like it is now with the basic set? If that’s the case, you should get the golden versions if your heroes are at the appropriate level, I guess.

I feel like golden cards are underused, they go to all the trouble of animating them and then most people just dust them. You'd have to really love a card to craft it golden.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

Ehh, don't really agree with that. It's very strong but a good part of its win rate comes from it destroying people in the lower ranks with bad decks and not enough knowledge of the secrets and the match-ups. I've been feasting on it this season with odd warrior and kingsbane can also out-aggro it a good portion of the time. I don't play reno decks but I would assume they also beat it often enough. It's basically the best "grinder" deck in wild but not the best deck imo

From VS, it's the best deck in both Legend and D1-D4 by a strong 2.5% lead from a sample size of over 100,000 games: https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/wild-vs-data-reaper-report-25/

quote:

Last time, we told you Secret Mage was an absolute monster. Don’t worry, it’s gotten better since then. The deck looks completely broken.

Secret Mage has been rapidly refined and taken over Wild. It is now the most popular deck at high diamond and legend ranks, making up over 15% of the field. Its matchup spread is close to flawless, with nothing that could be considered a clear counter. The archetype is utterly unopposed.

HSReplay also ranks it as the best Wild deck. To be fair it's not surprising, it was a good deck even before SoU and then it received a solid year-and-a-half of support.

I wouldn't even know where to start hitting it since it's a deck full of just great cards with no single outlier.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 28, 2021

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Blooming Brilliant posted:

From VS, it's the best deck in both Legend and D1-D4 by a strong 2.5% lead from a sample size of over 100,000 games: https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/wild-vs-data-reaper-report-25/

HSReplay also ranks it as the best Wild deck. To be fair it's not surprising, it was a good deck even before SoU and then it received a solid year-and-a-half of support.
Huh, that's surprising. Guess I shouldn't lean too hard on my subjective play experience then. Still had a good score against it with odd warrior though up to plat 5. I was playing an anti-aggro version though without silas and with armor vendors and sword+board to pop counter/portal before board wipes which doesn't even register as an archetype as it seems. Probably because it struggles against other slow decks without silas and just folds to tickatus :v:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

So neutrals aside, what do people think of each class' core set (with phoenix cards and no uh... dragon? No last year cards)?

I think it's safe to say Shaman and Paladin are huge winners, but beyond that:

I think Warrior and DH came out ok. DH's got a solid game plan for midrange. Losing Skull hurts, but Raging Felscreamer into Illidari Inquistor is a modestly better Inner Demon which is a good finisher, and it's early/midgame cards are good.

Warrior has some good control cards, though I'm not sure how Grom will be without Inner Rage.

Rogue: lol

Mage and Druid are kinda eh. No card draw for druid is pretty bad since it seems to want a zoo deck with those core cards. Mage lost some big early game cards and combo pieces, too.

Priest, Hunter and Warlock are a bit harder to evaluate. Warlock's big missing point to me is Voidwalker. Zoo doesn't care much for stuff like Jaraxxus, but a control Warlock will hurt for that loss.

I would consider Paladin the biggest winner. They lost a few cards that occasionally saw play as the 30th best card in the deck, while they've gained cards that are actually good.

Shaman lost Far Sight and Lava Burst, which were never top tier cards but were important to the kind of decks that would play them. Otoh, they'd be the second place winners just for the hero power change and the consistency buff to lightning storm, but their new 1 drop and buffs to old cards also help a lot.

I think Warlock losing Voidwalker and gaining Possessed Villager is a wash. Running the new Lakkari Felhound with that spider egg card might be a good combo for aggro Warlock, but I think they need another low cost card to discard to really make it work. The real gain for the class is with control. The Jaraxxus change, as well as the buffs to Drain Soul and Siphon Soul, are all huge buffs to cards that weren't that far from being good to begin with.

Rogue's loss of Eviscerate is devastating, and they didn't get much in return. They lost some other decent cards too, including Edwin and Sap, but nothing can really compare to how core Eviscerate was to Rogue. I'm not sure if there's a single Rogue deck in Hearthstone history that didn't play Eviscerate, which is especially crazy because they always had 3-5 different decks to play in nearly every meta.

Hunters didn't get much. While every other class got some nice buffs to borderline cards, Hunters only got one buff to an old meme card. They got Quick Shot, which ain't bad, but they lost this:

Warrior's new core set is okay but not exciting. They've lost some cards that were good but depended on the meta, like Battle Rage, Upgrade!, and Kor'Kron Elite.

Priest is a mess, but hey what's new. I agree with orangelex44's take on them, but I'll also say that the shadowform change is baffling. Bring it back, buff it, but then also remove the part that makes it ok to run two copies?

Mages are the only class with losses comparable to Rogue, but they at least got some decent returns to compensate them. Aegwynn is extremely interesting but probably too slow. It's also strange to still be giving Mage spell damage synergy when, as far as we know, their only spells that can hit face will be Fireball and Apexis Blast. I'm sure Blizzard is planning on giving mages new cheap damage spells in the new expansion, but this wouldn't be the first time they made changes to open up design space that they never ended up exploring.

I think Druids came out a little worse off but not too bad overall. Swipe, Wrath, and Starfire were tools that Druid only used because they lacked alternatives. The real big loss is Savage Roar. While it hasn't always been used, it has always been important to help token decks close out games. The buffs to Mark of the Wild and Druid of the Claw might make them playable, and the new Nordrassil Druid is pretty good.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Tin Tim posted:

Huh, that's surprising. Guess I shouldn't lean too hard on my subjective play experience then. Still had a good score against it with odd warrior though up to plat 5. I was playing an anti-aggro version though without silas and with armor vendors and sword+board to pop counter/portal before board wipes which doesn't even register as an archetype as it seems. Probably because it struggles against other slow decks without silas and just folds to tickatus :v:

I crafted secret mage last night and of the 6 or so games I played the only one I lost was to odd warrior. It was able to run me out of secrets and I wasn’t drawing any of my minions so I couldn’t even try and trade.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I am not a great player and even I have an 83% win rate with Secret Mage.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Olpainless posted:

If you've only just started playing Wild you probably don't have enough MMR to see the meta consistently.

It's probably a lesson in that the balance team really struggle to appropriately cost conditional cards as well.
I mean... it's wild. It makes sense that secret support printed in a lot of different expansions becomes op when it's all in the same deck.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Duels update : I've played the buffed Men at Arms/Bring on Recruits Paladin deck a few more times now, most recently this version :

AAEBAZ8FD9wD9Q33DYwO2a4Cu68Clc0Dm80Dk9ADgt4Dg94DhN4Dh94Dot4D+t4DAAA=

(from this site)

It's surprisingly good. I've managed to go 5-0 twice now because it has a distinct advantage in the early rounds when deck sizes are small and you can guarantee you'll draw Men at Arms early. The Duels meta is currently two types of decks : Mage/Shaman/Priest/Warlock running C'Thun the Shattered, and Druid. None of the former can stand up to two or more 3/3s every turn, and Druid will only beat you in these early rounds if they get their god draw.

As with all Duels decks, your longevity will be mostly determined by your treasures. Your first passive doesn't matter too much as long as it isn't completely useless, but if your second isn't Emerald Goggles or Cannibalism you probably won't make it past seven wins. For buckets, you want to keep your curve pretty low; secrets can be good (but not too many) and anything with Goody Two-Shields is worth considering. If you're going first, try to avoid playing Oh My Yogg! until your opponent has used their coin because it can give them an Innervate or Lightning Bloom, and because it's usually better on later turns to catch more impactful spells (possibly even a C'Thun spell) especially if they can't afford to test for it first.

I'm still trying for the 12-0 achievement, so I'm playing Druid whenever it's offered. Since the patch took Mage down a notch, Harvest Time!/Warden's Insight Druid is the only Tier 1 deck. I took a fairly good one to 10-0 on the weekend but fairly good won't get you all the way (that one ended at 11-2).

Nowadays when I reach 10-0 wins with a good deck I click the Find Game button with equal parts dread and morbid curiosity at what I might discover, and sure enough every time I've been completely blown out by the most ridiculous poo poo I've ever seen in this game. If you want to go infinite in Duels you need mostly skill and a bit of luck, but if you want that 12-0 scorecard you need mostly luck and a bit of skill because no matter how good you are, if the game doesn't offer you the right cards you aren't getting there. Pretty much all of the decks I've faced at 10+ wins (and my own as well) have the following in common :

1) Tier 1 treasures, or unusually good deck synergy with Tier 2 treasures (like the Warlock with Disks of Legend who played a Golden Kobold on turn two and then multiple Envoy Rustwix).

2) Lots of good buckets. In my last eight games of Druid there were five games where I wasn't offered a single Nature's Army bucket, despite using the same deck list every time. I still believe they improved upon bucket consistency in the patch but it's crazy how random it still feels sometimes.

3) Card draw, either from in-class cards or neutral treasures.

It's most telling in that the classes I see consistently at 10+ wins are the same kinds of Mage, Warlock, or Druid decks, but when I connect to a Demon Hunter at that level I know I'm in for a ride because the only way they make it that high is if the stars aligned for them. As frustrating as it's been for my own goals, I'm not sure having super high variance at the top end is really a problem for Duels in general, but it would be nice if they could somehow make more classes and/or powers viable so that you don't see the same few deck archetypes every time.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
RegisKillbin just posted a video that summarizes a lot of the core set exclusions. I don't necessarily agree with all of his opinions but it's actually a pretty good place to start getting a handle on the bigger picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmw0166UYE

Of note, it really makes it obvious how totally poo poo some classes' basic/classic sets were. For all the bitching about Hunter, Rogue, and Mage, Paladin lost 15 cards and none of them were consistently in a deck for the past year. That's ludicrous. Overall it's clear that Blizzard murdered the poo poo out of in-hand face damage and to a slightly lesser extent removal in general. I think we're going to see a return to a meta centered around board control, intelligent minion trading, and Curvestone.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I just started watching Kibler's overview :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbv_NtScJgU (Demon Hunter, Hunter, Druid, Mage)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vscaQimotLI (Paladin, Priest, Rogue, Shaman)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er6DP3gTuxs (Warlock, Warrior, Neutrals)

At first glance I didn't really think much of Vanessa Vancleef but now I'm really looking forward to her - she's basically Orderlol : The Card. Just the threat of having her in hand could result in a lot of inefficient plays from your opponent, plus burgle is my favourite Rogue archetype anyway.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

orangelex44 posted:

RegisKillbin just posted a video that summarizes a lot of the core set exclusions. I don't necessarily agree with all of his opinions but it's actually a pretty good place to start getting a handle on the bigger picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmw0166UYE

Of note, it really makes it obvious how totally poo poo some classes' basic/classic sets were. For all the bitching about Hunter, Rogue, and Mage, Paladin lost 15 cards and none of them were consistently in a deck for the past year. That's ludicrous. Overall it's clear that Blizzard murdered the poo poo out of in-hand face damage and to a slightly lesser extent removal in general. I think we're going to see a return to a meta centered around board control, intelligent minion trading, and Curvestone.

I just looked through the paladin cards from the Year of the Dragon that rotate out. Rise of Shadows had the secret package and the dragon synergy that both hasn't seen play in a long time, plus Duel for some meme decks. Saviors of Uldum has the 1 health minion thing that doesn't work, plus a quest that nobody plays and highlander support that's super weak. Only standout is Tip the Scales, which is quite powerful in the right decks of course, but until very recently had fallen out of favor.

Descent of Dragons on the other hand is a huge loss. Lightforged Zealot and Lightforged Crusader are very important for pure paladin, Amber Watcher and Bronze Explorer are just very solid cards, and Sky Claw plus Righteous Cause saw a good amount of play in a more minion swarm type of deck. Galakrond's Awakening had Air Raid and Shotbot as good cards, as well as Scale Lord for your murloc decks.

Still, I think paladin got off pretty light compared to other classes, and a lot of it's power derives from the Year of the Phoenix sets. Getting most of the useless trash dumped out of the core set is also a very good change, plus some of the retuning cards are really great. Righteous Protector into Hand of A'dal? Sounds good to me! And I'm just generally very happy that the power of the core set cards got a lot more equalized between classes.

Your overall conlusion is likely correct. Especially combo decks will really suffer the removal of board control and stall cards like Doomsayer, Wild Pyromancer, Frost Nova, etc. These decks would suffer from the lack of face damage spells and charge cards, but they will also have a harder time to stay alive to pull off their Mecha'thun combo or whatever. So yes, curvestone it is. I'm very much looking forward to the exciting new rogue weapons now that Blade Flurry has finally been laid to rest.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'm a bit confused about the core set stuff, forgive me if this was announced when they announced it and I just missed it. If I have like, all the classic dragons, for example. Are both they and the new dragons going to be playable in Wild and if not are they going to automatically dust the old ones or give you the option?

What about if I already have a legendary that is in classic and is going to be core, technically it might be worth dusting it now, before the core set comes out since I'll get it back but then when/if the core set changes and hypothetically that card gets made to be not part of the core set, I'd lose it right? Are they going to be tracking which cards are actually yours and which ones are just being "leant" to you because they're in the core set?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

thebardyspoon posted:

I'm a bit confused about the core set stuff, forgive me if this was announced when they announced it and I just missed it. If I have like, all the classic dragons, for example. Are both they and the new dragons going to be playable in Wild and if not are they going to automatically dust the old ones or give you the option?

What about if I already have a legendary that is in classic and is going to be core, technically it might be worth dusting it now, before the core set comes out since I'll get it back but then when/if the core set changes and hypothetically that card gets made to be not part of the core set, I'd lose it right? Are they going to be tracking which cards are actually yours and which ones are just being "leant" to you because they're in the core set?

I'm not sure about the first thing, either. But I think the core Ysera's and co. are technically new cards. You have classic's Ysera, you have Descent of Dragon's Ysera, Unleashed, and you have the core set's Ysera the Dreamer. So I believe the old version of Ysera goes into the "legacy" set that will become part of wild. I don't think they're going to automatically dust your cards.

As for the core set, the way I understand it, you get it "on loan" so to speak for each year. If you have all classes at level 10, you get all core cards "for free", and can use them as you see fit. No need to craft them, but you can't disenchant them either. Then, at the end of the standard year, the whole core set gets taken away, and you get a new core set from Blizz (which like way more than 50% overlap to the old core set, most likely). So that classic legendary would become part of the legacy set (Tirion for example), and you would also own a copy from the core set. You don't actually get Tirion back when the core set comes out, but you get a copy in the core set loaned to you. I still don't know how exactly this works with wild, maybe you don't get core set cards there, and instead you can only play the legacy cards plus the various expansion cards. This would actually make a lot of sense, since that way, there won't be two identical Tirions in two different sets, and so no headaches with having two Tirions in your deck, even though you normally can only play one copy of a legendary. So that way, if you do play wild, you shouldn't disenchant your classic cards, since you will probably lose them then. If you only play standard, you are safe to disenchant all your classic cards, since you won't be able to use them in standard anyway.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Has there been any mention of what happens to Classic card packs when the new expansion drops? I have a few I haven't opened and wondering when the best time to crack them is.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Flayer posted:

Has there been any mention of what happens to Classic card packs when the new expansion drops? I have a few I haven't opened and wondering when the best time to crack them is.

I think they will become "legacy" packs, but as I wrote above, I'm not sure yet. We'll probably get more info about all of this well before rotation happens.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
The old dragons are definitely moving to Wild just as they are now. If something has a new name in the core set, that means that the old card is still going to stick around for Wild (I think this is only true for the dragons?). Stuff like Stonetusk boar that was changed without changing its name is changed everywhere.

I guess I'm not absolutely, 100% sure on this, but I've heard at least a couple of people like Regis say this.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

thebardyspoon posted:

Yes, they will be playable in Wild. They are moving to the "Legacy Set", which is the name for the new Classic + Basic + Hall of Fame combo set.

If you play Wild you in general need to keep the real copy of cards, because there is no guarantee that anything will remain in Core Set.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Newest blue posts are that all old dragons are being totally replaced and you'll get dust in exchange like if they were HoF.

So basically even if you wanted to play them in wild you can't.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I've got all the dragons plus Malygos as a golden :getin:

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

blizzardvizard posted:

I've got all the dragons plus Malygos as a golden :getin:

Yeah as much as I plan on transitioning to wild I don't play those dragons much anyway and hate dying to old Maly and Alex combos, plus the dust from 4 legendaries ain't bad.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
You can still play them in Classic Mode (I now understand why this mode exists).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Excellent, so I may as well keep my old ones to get the dust and then if I want to play classic I'll have them at the ready. Wonder if it's worth making Alex to get the dust back and have her ready in case I ever do play classic.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What’s the difference between classic and basic?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The old cards had better art though. Very weird decision, I can't understand why they wouldn't just give the new ones different names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Fenarisk posted:

Newest blue posts are that all old dragons are being totally replaced and you'll get dust in exchange like if they were HoF.

So basically even if you wanted to play them in wild you can't.
Rip to that otk with domo and deathwing