Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Well valeeras book of heroes feels like slamming a door into your dick from the start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Fenarisk posted:

I'm stuck on sylvanas and apparently I don't get to play Valeera until I beat it because there's no way to back out of garrosh's. Awesome.

I'm stuck on Garrosh vs the priest. I've played it like 5 times now and I still can't figure out how I'm supposed to win the with lame and unfun cards they give you. I've gotten him down to ~5hp then he just heals up and tosses up some divine shield taunts while I run out of gas.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Olpainless posted:

Well valeeras book of heroes feels like slamming a door into your dick from the start

Everything after the first two fights are much easier.

e: games not letting me open the rogue pack lmfao

e2: Rogue packs are locked because people were opening copies of the Maiev Shadowsong hero portrait

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 2, 2021

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

For people stuck on fight's, there is a retire button - like arena runs have. You'd have to start from the first fight with that character though.

For Valeera - the first fight is fine if they dont play the +2 dmg to totems spell until mid to late in the game I guess.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
As an aside... Is anyone else noticing mulligans and draw order is fixed so far in the Valeera figures? That feels like it's either broken or just makes the whole thing worse.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Olpainless posted:

As an aside... Is anyone else noticing mulligans and draw order is fixed so far in the Valeera figures? That feels like it's either broken or just makes the whole thing worse.

It seems like that's the case yea

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
gently caress the third challenge. I mean, gently caress it. Every single aspect and part of it, and the rear end in a top hat who programmed it. Sure is fun having to figure out how to play a game on rails and if you gently caress up once you might as well start over.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The third one? The one where you put a stealth minion down on turn 1 and keep it stealthed the entire game with your hero power, getting bigger and going face?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

idiotsavant posted:

Haven’t played Hearthstone since the first couple of expansions, but Battlegrounds looks like it could be fun in a “RNG big numbers/wonky combos and mash them together” kind of way. Is it pretty decent for that, and are there any decent primers for getting back into it?

Someone linked this which is a bit old but still generally accurate I think

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13kT8vWd4GFDH3IqSUsNLzBtOSMBhAlengyjALanDhZI/edit#gid=1610427615

e: I miss darkmoon prizes.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 3, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Amoeba102 posted:

The third one? The one where you put a stealth minion down on turn 1 and keep it stealthed the entire game with your hero power, getting bigger and going face?

Yeah, that one - even doing exactly that the loving AI can outpace you in damage.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I've only done it the once, but I did not find it that way. Guess I found the right rails.

It was when I got to Garona that I had difficulty, and again on Chogall. Haven't tried the final battle yet. Both of those two I named you take damage every turn, and Garona will kill you by turn 7 or 8 sometimes. And always do 12 damage to you on turn 2. They are very unforgiving and the correct line of play - particularly for the mulligan is not obvious. I felt the early fights were easy but maybe because my train of thought for the start was the correct way as per the strict design.
Flipside of the on rails and narrow choices for correct play is that a guide will get you the win easily.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This is *aggressively* un-fun. Each one of these feels like a "gently caress you, no more free stuff without us making GBS threads on you."

With Garona it seems that if the two random spells you get don't give you SOMETHING to put in her way, there's no way to keep her from grinding you down.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah. Book of Heroes was a drag anyway with the long unskippable dialogue when you just open up the drat things.
Just look up a guide and follow what it does. Mindless. Unfun.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Amoeba102 posted:

Yeah. Book of Heroes was a drag anyway with the long unskippable dialogue when you just open up the drat things.
Just look up a guide and follow what it does. Mindless. Unfun.

Are you complaining about something being mindless and unfun when you follow a guide for it? No poo poo sherlock.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I’m only at Garona so far but I’m enjoying this book way more than the previous ones. The others were basically just play tempo and win and IMO felt like playing early tutorial missions. This one at least provides somewhat of a challenge.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Kalko posted:

I just started watching Kibler's overview :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbv_NtScJgU (Demon Hunter, Hunter, Druid, Mage)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vscaQimotLI (Paladin, Priest, Rogue, Shaman)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er6DP3gTuxs (Warlock, Warrior, Neutrals)

At first glance I didn't really think much of Vanessa Vancleef but now I'm really looking forward to her - she's basically Orderlol : The Card. Just the threat of having her in hand could result in a lot of inefficient plays from your opponent, plus burgle is my favourite Rogue archetype anyway.

Having not seen a Kibler video in quite a long time I was not prepared for the snow dusted man bun and beard version

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

RatHat posted:

Are you complaining about something being mindless and unfun when you follow a guide for it? No poo poo sherlock.

I didn't follow guides for it. It's still garbage because you are stuck to a very narrow order of play. It's "do this or lose". There is no room for trying anything different, so it's just going through the motions. Having the same thing happen everytime with regards to opening hands, mulligans, draws, opponent plays, means you can use a guide if you are having trouble. I have tried to talk someone through the Rexxar ones, and for those there was some choice in your plays even if they are tough if RNG is against you.
Book of Heroes have all been pretty boring in my opinon. I haven't had extensive trouble with them, as they will all be finished the morning they are released. But they aren't fun, they aren't exciting. I wouldn't replay them like I have with old adventures. They are just a chore for a pack.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm fine with book of heroes/mercenaries being puzzle encounters, in fact I'd prefer it, just make it stop being a garbage dump for the design team's first drafts of single player content.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Orange Carlisle posted:

Having not seen a Kibler video in quite a long time I was not prepared for the snow dusted man bun and beard version

Brian Kibler Is The Handsomest Man On Children's Card Games Television

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
I know there really isn’t any way to see what rank the people you’re facing are but everyone I’ve been playing against has had the legend card back. I’m winning most of the games but it makes me wonder if I’m playing people in legend while I’m at Silver 8.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it's possible. matchmaking is done based on a hidden rating that is entirely separate from the league system, so that you have appropriately challenging matches the whole time rather than laying waste to newbies (if hearthstone even has newbies at this point, idk). but if you've never hit legend, it's more likely they just got legend once in the past several years and have since decayed.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

it's possible. matchmaking is done based on a hidden rating that is entirely separate from the league system, so that you have appropriately challenging matches the whole time rather than laying waste to newbies (if hearthstone even has newbies at this point, idk). but if you've never hit legend, it's more likely they just got legend once in the past several years and have since decayed.

Makes sense. I’ve never quite hit legend because the grind from D5 is hell but I tend to win more games than I lose, so maybe my mmr is high without getting to legend. :shrug:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

2x Frenzied Felwings against a hero you can't actually damage :psyduck:

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Kibler is the only HS streamer I've ever watched with any regularity because 1) I enjoy his laid-back former Pro seen-it-all-before personality, and 2) the deck archetypes he builds are broadly the same ones I like to play (except for his Warlock and Priest decks, two classes which exist mostly as dust in my collection). In his own words, they're 'sweet' decks; not cut-throat ladder climbers, but ones with more off-meta inclusions which are fun to play but still created with a competitive mindset.

Having said that, I played a fair bit of Stealth Rogue last month just to boost back to D10 quickly since I've been spending most of my HS time playing Duels lately. I also played a fair bit of AnacondaHL's Elemental Mage deck and that was a fun ride.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I know there really isn’t any way to see what rank the people you’re facing are but everyone I’ve been playing against has had the legend card back. I’m winning most of the games but it makes me wonder if I’m playing people in legend while I’m at Silver 8.

If you made it to Legend last season (or just have Legend-caliber MMR) then you'll always be matched with Legend-caliber players, and while you have star bonus that could include players in actual Legend.

But if you are no longer in Star-Bonus then you are almost assuredly not playing vs Legend players, and are instead matched by rank with other players that also are no longer in Star-Bonus.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Elemental Spell Damage update: Happy to hear everyone's trip reports with the deck :shobon: Sadly for tournaments I had to switch Gyreworms for Sorcerer's Apprentices for the dumb highroll potential, but overall I was still more successful with Gyreworms on ladder.

Rush Warrior update: I'm going to keep testing this deck pre-Legend this season. The amount of hilarity from opponents hovering over your cards is doubled with this deck, only instead of Gyreworm you plop down Playmakers and/or Parade Leaders into inexplicable winning plays. There are a lot of weird lines.

I STILL can't tell if the deck is actually good or if everyone is just confused by the cards you play :psyduck:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I finally got around to making a Yogg DH since blur is leaving. First game I died before 10 mana, but I got it off the second go. And it went perfectly. Got the rod of roasting, and typically got to pyro my face 4 times before hitting my 10 hp opponent. That's what blur is for.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

If you made it to Legend last season (or just have Legend-caliber MMR) then you'll always be matched with Legend-caliber players, and while you have star bonus that could include players in actual Legend.

But if you are no longer in Star-Bonus then you are almost assuredly not playing vs Legend players, and are instead matched by rank with other players that also are no longer in Star-Bonus.

That makes sense, thanks! I’ve still got x5 star bonus so we’ll see what happens when that’s gone :v:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

this kind of curve while playing a highlander deck should be illegal

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Does anyone know if you can keep the Rogue/whatever class packs and open them only once Standard rotates?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah you can do that, they're not gonna vanish on you.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

sirtommygunn posted:

Yeah you can do that, they're not gonna vanish on you.

Nice, any idea if they still will give cards from 2019, or if they will adapt?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
In the past card packs have always opened from whatever the current list is, not when the list from when they were purchased. Although it doesn't really make a difference these days unless you have a complete set of cards but don't intend to buy more than about 30 odd packs of the next expansion for some reason, thanks to the no duplicates rule being universal to card rarity now.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Flayer posted:

In the past card packs have always opened from whatever the current list is, not when the list from when they were purchased. Although it doesn't really make a difference these days unless you have a complete set of cards but don't intend to buy more than about 30 odd packs of the next expansion for some reason, thanks to the no duplicates rule being universal to card rarity now.

Cheers, I was under the impression that the class-specific packs had a higher chance of opening a legendary, and I don't want Flik or Anka or whatever when I could get beautiful Tengu.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
I'll start on the Rogue BoH shortly, but finished the Priest one last night and this morning since I had forgotten about it. It was annoying, especially the first battle. One I realized the cards were always the same, it became more like a Boom Labs puzzle in solo format rather than a terrible slog, but it would help if they advertised this or made that part a challenge mode or something.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Garona is terrible because the decks are predetermined but the RNG is not so sometimes you just lose because there was nothing you could have done.
Cho'gall has a bit of the same issue but it is a bit more forgiving.
The last boss is the most interesting if you take it as a puzzle, although it still has a bit of RNG involved with the knife juggler.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

I'll start on the Rogue BoH shortly, but finished the Priest one last night and this morning since I had forgotten about it. It was annoying, especially the first battle. One I realized the cards were always the same, it became more like a Boom Labs puzzle in solo format rather than a terrible slog, but it would help if they advertised this or made that part a challenge mode or something.

Its probably a bug, none of the other heros has been fixed like the rogue one

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
I like how for this brawl you can just play Gibberling Druid, only with Spreading Plague instead of Glowfly Swarm.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I had no idea what I was doing in this brawl and threw together a dumb Hunter deck that triggered Tonk four times in one turn for the win. It helps that the person I was playing against also seemingly had no particular plan.

What's going to happen with Tavern Brawls post Core? I doubt that they're going to give Classic packs but there won't be a Core pack to hand out so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Yeah I just tossed together some sort of lovely Face Hunter and won on my second try.