Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hello hearthstone thread. I put $100 dollars in the Blizzard machine and I got p good tempo mage and spellmage netdecks out of it. Been having a blast.

My varient on Tempo mage has a Lorekeeper Polkest - Pyroblast - 2x fireball and I feel like a Kenshiro on turn 7 playing Lorekeeper AI and have my opponent chipped down to 22.

Too Many Birds posted:

i feel like despite playing this game for a while i just don't have the brain smarts to build a deck from scratch and usually have to rely on net decks which isn't very fun, are there some general tips or resources that can help me with this?

My best advice is to take a netdeck and switch like one or two card packages around. Also combo decks are wierdly the most straightforward decks to learn to build: you figure out your combo and fill the rest in with cycle minions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The season start seems excessively aggressive, but then I played against a druid and the game went past turn 7. Now I understand why every deck needs a plan to kill the opponent by turn 7.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Spellmage is incredible. It feels like I'm hacking the matrix when I pull the Devolve Missiles against Resurrect Priest. I know that in reality it is the highrolliest control deck that can match aggression because you generate all of the answers you could possibly want and you can play them all for free. So much value gets generated it doesn't matter if it is bad. So many times have I hit elemental synergy in a deck with literally no minions. I hold on to elemental setups and pay offs because I believe in the heart of the cards.

I have blacked out the games where I mulligan into Power of CreationX2 Reno. They never happened and never will.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

AnacondaHL posted:

I just lived the mini-dream and used Adorable Infestation as part of my Kael'thas chain into Survival of the Fittest, resulting in 5/5 cubs. That is all.

Disgusting druid player. Make me sick.

Spellmage is a clown fiesta where I regularly get Solaris Prime. One time he casted Potion of Illusion, giving me another Solaris Prime, who costed 1 and also played Potion of Illusion. I was able to get the fabled DOUBLE BOX with 20 random spells cast for 10 mana.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

skaboomizzy posted:

If Spell Mage is still viable that's probably gonna be my jam after I futz around with some other decks.

Lemmie tell you it feels real good, basically the same decklist as before, but with the secret package stripped down to it's bones for 2X Brain Freeze and 2X Spell Damage Studies. The biggest thing is that the general power creep has made random minions valuable. Power of Creation regularly gives me 4/6s with bonus text, Spell Damage Studies gives me Solarius Prime like every other game, and there's ~enough~ minion generation that you can utilize the element and dragon synergies.

Edit: Reno is like $20 to upgrade this deck. I love him to death.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Goons Are Great posted:

That'd be this one for example:
# 2x (1) Arcane Missiles
# 2x (1) Brain Freeze
# 2x (1) Devolving Missiles
# 1x (1) Evocation
# 2x (1) Magic Trick
# 2x (1) Ray of Frost
# 1x (1) Sphere of Sapience
# 2x (2) Cram Session
# 2x (2) Frostbolt
# 2x (2) Icicle
# 2x (2) Novice Engineer
# 2x (2) Sorcerer's Apprentice
# 2x (3) Arcane Intellect
# 2x (3) Frost Nova
# 1x (4) Lorekeeper Polkelt
# 1x (5) Mozaki, Master Duelist
# 2x (6) Blizzard
#
AAECAY0WBMW4A5LLA4/OA/bWAw2cAskDqwS0BMsE5gSWBZ+YA5+bA/+dA+DMA8fOA/fRAwA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

The idea is insanely simple and virtually unbeatable. You mulligan and draw MASSIVELY to get Lorekeeper Polkelt as soon as humanly possible. Play him immediately when you got him to sort your deck based on mana cost. Afterwards you draw cards in an exact order and you will know pretty much precisely what to do get next. Once in business, you play Sorcerer's Apprentice once or twice along with Mozaki, get some more draw going to up your spell damage on Mozaki and once you are at like +15 spell damage throw the cheap poo poo into your opponent's face, like free 15 damage frost bolts, 18 damage arcane missiles and poo poo like that. You usually get lethal on turn 8 or later, with, depending on your other spells in your hand, ~12-20 damage per damage spell directed into the face. Should round up around 40 to 60 face damage in one turn, enough to beat everyone and too soon for warriors to armor up against it.

All other cards in there are either draw or freeze to avoid dying on the way through.

Hello! I got a variant along the same lines of thought, but using a different package.

### My Tempo Varient
# Class: Mage
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (1) Arcane Missiles
# 2x (1) Brain Freeze
# 1x (1) Evocation
# 2x (1) Lab Partner
# 2x (1) Magic Trick
# 2x (1) Primordial Studies
# 2x (1) Ray of Frost
# 2x (2) Frostbolt
# 2x (2) Mana Cyclone
# 2x (2) Sorcerer's Apprentice
# 2x (2) Voracious Reader
# 2x (3) Arcane Intellect
# 2x (3) Firebrand
# 1x (3) Frost Nova
# 2x (4) Fireball
# 1x (4) Lorekeeper Polkelt
# 1x (10) Pyroblast
#
AAECAf0EBMsEvwjFuAP21gMNuwKrBLQE5gSWBZ+bA+KbA/+dA/jMA4XNA8fOA83OA8bRAwA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

The general line is to get 8 chip damage in and rip AI and Polkelt Polkelt and AI (order matters) on T7, draw Pyroblast Fireball, T8 draw fireball play Fireball X2 for 12. T9 draw AI into Frost Nova or double Firebrand. T10 Pyroblast for 10. I really had to let go and embrace the smork, last game had me ripping Polkelt on T4 that culminated in a T8 Sorc Apprentice Frost Nova, T9 Pyroblast. It is a vicious machine and once you understand what your deck looks like post-Polkelt you feel like Kenshiro declaring your opponent already dead.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 10, 2020

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

yikes! posted:

what destroys priest!? WHAT DESTROYS PRIEST!??

Devolving missiles from Evocation has always come up big against both Rez priest and libram pally. Enough so that I think that'll be my tech choice if Lirbram Pally is still on the top spot. Hits the druid stealth draw 2 beasts too, but lol if I ever seen that just played on the board without Guardian Animals. I'd suggest slipping in a silence or transform tech card if you are in a class that can.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

DNK posted:

Tempo Mage is super fun. I routinely blow through like 7 cards a turn every turn once I hit 5 mana or so. Potion of Illusion with Sorc Apprentice and Wand Thief is insanely good.

I've tried to use Voratious Reader in my Tempo Mage deck and... It just gets in the way of itself or other card draw the majority of the time. Gonna have to swap em out for Wand Thief, that's the replacement yeah!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

blizzardvizard posted:

Is Libram Pally considered the "top spot"? I'm playing sort of a different version of it but it feels like a solid Tier 2 deck to me, and doesn't come close to the level of BS Big Druid or Freeze Mage can bring to the table.

First month numbers from hsreplay put Nerd Paladins as the deck that can stand the early set aggression and can sweep up Druid.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Chin Strap posted:

Tortollan Combo Mage is legit. It just hurts my brain to play

I just watched a showcase on the deck. Holy poo poo this is 5D solitaire chess. I thought the depth charges were rediculous, but it is absolutely necessary when you fill your board with 7 1/1s that cast frost nova. If you hit the nuts and draw ORB before Polkelt you can do some math meme deck manipulation until you get to the 4 Mana Nightblades, the secret inevitable weapon.

This deck is BANANAS

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Acerbatus posted:

I'm sad Doctor Krastinov doesn't scream THE DOCTOR IS IN when you play him

What's the Totrollan deck list? It seems like some dumb fun after I hit legend. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6TrWfzbKVs

https://twitter.com/ahirunHS/status/1292598485200465921?s=20

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

adamarama posted:

Paladin was trash tier for a long long time and is now merely very good. I can see nerfing braggart to 3 mana but a nerf to wisdom or first day of school is overkill this early in the expansion. It's not oppressive by any means and a zero mana spell in paladin is not comparable to the nonsense that rogue was/is capable of.

Wisdom isn't the back breaker in Paladin. It's that Power of Authority dropping on 5 Mana and reduced costed 8/8 divine shield heal right after that.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Me: priest priest-

Thread: priest PRIEST

Anduin, pounding on a clipboard: PRIEST PRIEST PRIEST

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Didn't you hear friend? There's been a coup

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Every time I generate a Trick Totem in my no minion mage deck I take it as a sign to believe in the heart of the cards.

The lil guy has always betrayed me, but as long as I have faith...

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

AnacondaHL posted:

Trip Report: I've just made my first ever Top8 in a Masters Qualifier tournament, for a sweet sweet reward of 10 packs :woop:

I'm only mentioning this now because both of my opponents in the next round have a lineup that will crush me, but good times nonetheless

My lineup - Stealth Rogue, Highlander Aggro Hunter, Polkelt Tempo DH:

https://www.yaytears.com/battlefy/5f12435e0770843f77f7c3e2/HiggsBoson%231805

Fuckin hero. CRUSH THEM!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Stealth rogue has been KICKING MY rear end on my no minion mage and face hunter. There's just so much damage being taken by turn 4.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like the cat and mouse meta of "Am I fast enough to pull off my *thing*" vs "am I fast enough to kill him before he does his *thing*" and each thing is an asymmetrical threat cheated out by turn 5.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

orangelex44 posted:

How, exactly? If they get the right draw they just... win.

Tortola mage cannot really go off until turn 8/9. So you really gotta throw every minion you can at them before that point. All their "pre-turtle time" survival tools are sub par minions with effects, honestly ignore them. Your minions should be permafrozen in a "post turtle time" world, so you gotta have some over the top damage.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My favorite secret passage secret is that it activates Mechathune when you play it with 0 cards in deck.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Orange Carlisle posted:

I packed a silence owl into my deck just to laugh at paladins who stack fifty buffs on a single minion expecting to get them all back when it dies

It's so satisfying every time

Ripping my third Evocation targeting a Devolving Missiles is how I capture that feeling of being alive nowadays.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

blizzardvizard posted:

He's also quite likely to be nerfed in the future imo, so there's a good chance you're gonna get back your dust eventually anyway.

What... like why? Wait, how?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

blizzardvizard posted:

I don't mean, like, this expansion, but the fact that it can basically guarantee your draws for the next X turns is potentially very abusable. Like right now it's mostly used to "tutor" cards like Dinotamer or Skull of Gul'dan, but we already saw shades of it being a 100% consistency combo enabler with that Mozaki deck. It hasn't broken anything yet, but I expect at some point in time, possibly before it rotates out, something's gonna break.

Basically it looks like one of those "limits design space" cards to me.

Oh right, I see it as that too. But I think Bliz knows that going in. Polkelt feels very much like a Thaurusan level card.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Xguard86 posted:

I dislike it because it feels like they can generate so many cards, they're going to find an answer. Unless you are running a deck that can make an unfair turn itself, and thus the HS rng solitaire experience that happens so often.

Highlander mage is like no-minion mage but the RNG is always good. That makes it an unfun to play against deck.

Unrelated, I know Hyena Alpha is standard in face hunter, but in this expansion a turn 4 7/7 just doesn't feel unfair enough.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I dunno man, I just click on the thing in HS replay and it was all "yeah this list with 4 traps and two hyena's totally 60%, if you wanna see the good numbers you should subscribe"

Point still stands, I subbed it out for the dormant Felthing. But that doesn't really hit the spot either.

### Face Hunter
# Class: Hunter
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (1) Adorable Infestation
# 1x (1) Demon Companion
# 2x (1) Dwarven Sharpshooter
# 2x (1) Intrepid Initiate
# 2x (1) Tour Guide
# 2x (1) Wolpertinger
# 1x (2) Explosive Trap
# 2x (2) Freezing Trap
# 2x (2) Imprisoned Felmaw
# 2x (2) Phase Stalker
# 2x (2) Pressure Plate
# 2x (2) Scavenger's Ingenuity
# 2x (2) Voracious Reader
# 1x (3) Animal Companion
# 2x (3) Eaglehorn Bow
# 2x (3) Kill Command
# 1x (4) Dragonbane
#
AAECAR8EtQPJBIewA4LQAw2oAocE/gyfpQP7rwP8rwOiuQP/ugPczAObzQOizgPG0QO50gMA
#

Edit: I knew I wasn't crazy

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
As a demon hunter setting up for the classic combo of weapon into lapidary. Is it more annoying to get frost bolted in the face on your turn 4 or on your turn 5?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

AnacondaHL posted:

Of the two, turn 5 because it has more swingy breakpoints with Blade Dance.

Thank

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Its me, I will put $10 on my unoptimized no-minion mage deck in this brawl. I will highroll my way into 12 wins crushing the dreams of hsreplay stats nerds with THE HEART OF THE CARDS.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I don't remember the last THUNDERDOMES having a free run, nah, gotta pay up.

I do like how you don't break even until 6 or 7 wins. But gently caress it I made play the first time last month and I know I'll go 12-0 off the back of 3 Mana Apexis Blast and 3 copies of Evocation.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Acerbatus posted:

Nobody can stop me from playing Big Warrior.

BROTHER!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Acerbatus posted:

Every game I play aggro rogue I get matched into a face hunter, is there any way to win that matchup other than sheer luck? Eesh.

Every time I play face hunter I get matched into aggro rogue, is there any way to win that matchup other than sheer luck? Eesh.

Foreal, I don't know how to play that matchup, like should I fight for board or just go face harder. If rogue can get their card draw rolling when I run out of gas I'm out. If I can get my explosive trap down somehow on turn 2 or 4 I feel great, then rogue reloads with secret passage and I die. It feels like rogue has like 4 more resources than I will ever get.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

blizzardvizard posted:

I'm fine with the Secret Passage nerf, they just want to control its consistency a little bit rather than gut it completely. I still think they should also change it so it replaces the whole hand back and doesn't leave discovered/shadowstepped cards behind, since that's more intuitive anyway, but eh.

RIP Zoolock, we hardly knew ye.

As a mage player who mainlines Evocation to generate value, I will fight for rogues right to keep their gen'd cards. Like it costs Mana to gen them.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

AnacondaHL posted:

qualifier: a Standard card in the most recent set, nerfed only a few weeks after release. They've historically let poo poo linger in Wild for the sake of Standard.

You have hit the correct modifier. I hope to do this sequence of semantics again in the next set where I get to read

Qualifier-qualifier: a Standard card in the most recent set, nerfed after the first hotfix. They've historically let poo poo linger in Wild for the sake of Standard until after the first bundle goes out of sale.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Did somebody say meme shaman?

### What the Muck
# Class: Shaman
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
# 2x (1) Devolving Missiles
# 2x (1) Primordial Studies
# 1x (1) Sphere of Sapience
# 2x (2) Ancestral Spirit
# 1x (2) Witch's Brew
# 2x (3) Far Sight
# 2x (3) Lightning Storm
# 2x (3) Serpentshrine Portal
# 2x (4) Hex
# 1x (4) The Fist of Ra-den
# 2x (4) Torrent
# 2x (5) Hagatha's Scheme
# 2x (5) Muckmorpher
# 2x (8) Plagued Protodrake
# 1x (10) Colossus of the Moon
# 2x (10) Scrapyard Colossus
#
AAECAaoIBMWZA9+pA+a3A4/OAw2UA/UE/gWyBq2RA4+UA9u4A5O5A/O7A+DMA83OA6zUA/DUAwA=
#

Hell yeah, saw RegisKillbin running this deck and it can out druid druid.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh man, people just are not prepared for Face Hunter unless it's the first of the month.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

DNK posted:

I feel like I’m the only one playing Turtle mage and I’m just crushing everyone. To be fair, it’s a crazy puzzle of a deck to pilot — hand management gets nutty and you do have to remember the order that you played minions on the board pretty intently — but it seems too powerful for me to be the only one doing it.

I have seen it in my travels like one time, so unless that was you there are folks doing it. One day I'm gonna try the Puzzle Box varient and commune with the heart of the cards.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Maybe he played a cost reduced Sap? Perhaps he stole your Ysera for a shadow madness turn. Only things I could think of.

Edit: soul mirror is also a possibility

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I never know when the right time to play trick totem is. I mean, yeah I should coin it out on turn 1.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Battlegrounds just doesn't feel good. Like the average game is like 30-40 minutes (like 2 games in a 1.5 hour session) and that makes the variance unbearable. Sure hearthstone has a lot of varience, but in a 2 hour session I can crack out like 15 one on one games to get an ok w/l record. Battlegrounds with like the 7 other competitors just gives me really low lows frequently. I will say that winning is like heroin in that game, I get why people chase that dragon tribe, it's just not for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Lorekeeper out of that whole list. You can just slot it into any deck. gently caress I put him in my face hunter just to turn on the Kill Command timer.