Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Getting in on the ground floor to announce that, after years of sticking almost exclusively to Casual, I finally got over my ladder anxiety this expansion and pushed into Wild Legend just now! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

fanny packrat posted:

That's awesome! What carried you up the ladder?

Pre-Diamond 5, Secret Mage was hilariously good; I legitimately lost track of how long my win streak was. Once I got into Diamond, I started running into tougher matchups and swapped to Quest Mage pre-nerf... And once I hit 5, it started feeling like a Sisyphean “win a couple, lose a couple”. I managed to get to 1... then plummeted back to the bottom. :negative:

I got most of the way up my second time with Odd DH, then spent the last bit playing Cubelock with a bit of extra healing and secret/weapon removal tech cards... though, funnily enough, I never got the chance to use the ooze against Aluneth or Skull of the Ma’nari, when that was half the reason I slotted it in in the first place (the other half was DH weapons).

Final opponent wound up being some poor Dragon Hunter who apparently could not for the life of him draw any dragons, and conceded after I Cubed a Voidlord on turn 6 or 7.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

There’s always Odd DH in Wild! :v:

Okay, yeah, that’s also a pretty tempo deck, too. But DH is pretty much locked in to being an Aggro class, since most of their control package is pretty subpar right now.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Furious Lobster posted:

Can you post your list? I’ve been stuck between ranks 1 and 3 while running mostly secret mage and odd dh. I heard cubelock is good at beating quest mage so I’d like to finish with that.

Sure thing!

### Custom Warlock
# Class: Warlock
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Dark Pact
# 2x (1) Kobold Librarian
# 1x (1) Mistress of Mixtures
# 2x (1) Plague of Flames
# 1x (2) Acidic Swamp Ooze
# 2x (2) Defile
# 1x (2) Expired Merchant
# 1x (3) Dark Skies
# 2x (3) Sense Demons
# 1x (4) Eater of Secrets
# 2x (4) Voidcaller
# 1x (5) Antique Healbot
# 2x (5) Carnivorous Cube
# 2x (5) Doomguard
# 1x (5) Skull of the Man'ari
# 1x (5) Zilliax
# 1x (7) Lord Godfrey
# 1x (8) Enhanced Dreadlord
# 1x (9) Mal'Ganis
# 2x (9) Voidlord
# 1x (10) Bloodreaver Gul'dan
#
AAEBAfqUAwyKB8IP9Q+IrwLexAKX0wLb6QKc+AKggAP9pAPrrAPEuQMJ9wTcBo4O58sC8tAC+NACi+EC6OcCnakDAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Usual advice is to mulligan hard for Skull or Voidcaller. If it looks like an aggro class like Odd DH or Pirate Warrior, lean into board clears, and if you think it’s a Quest Mage, also try to mulligan for Sense Demons. And feel free to change the tech cards to whatever you’re running into; I honestly barely got much use out of the Ooze.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, Wild up until Diamond is pretty great for playing some really out there deck archetypes and still doing well if you know what you’re doing and how to pilot it. Secret Mage in particular is great for quickly climbing the lower ranks if you have the core pieces (Aluneth, in particular, since it gives you the boost to finish off a game before your opponent can stabilize).

Hell, Discard Warlock is now a force to be reckoned with in Wild.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Nah, the current Wild Spell Druid is just armoring up and otherwise protecting yourself until you can pull off some mad bullshit with Kael’thas letting you deck out in one turn, then swapping over to the Jade package for the rest of the game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

Really tempted to craft Lynessa and Liadrin for these meme decks. The first standard one listed, with Cho, is a legit decent deck.

Is there a list of safe crafts from Outland yet? I'm thinking Maiev looks pretty safe but nothing else seems to stand out from the pack. Definitely going to craft Hanar because it seems the most fun card from the set.

Metamorphosis and Kayn seem pretty safe crafts (Kayn slightly less so, since it was rarer for him to be the finishing move in my experience with DH).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Why is it considered easier to get legend in wild than standard?

Wild is going to always have certain cards that are perpetually powerful for as long as they remain untouched. And once you have a solid core for one archetype, you’re practically set for life... or however long until it gets nerfed or power creeped into obsolescence.

Once you’ve got that core figured out, you’ve got room to either refine it further to be even better at whatever it’s good at, or you can branch out into all kinds of weird tech choices, alternate win conditions, etc. that Standard doesn’t have access to.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Goons Are Great posted:

In general I feel like the only way to tackle this without going batshit crazy and developing a burning hatred for the game is to not play too much.
The new system heavily overvalues wins over losses as long as you have even just one star bonus. Even two losses can disappear by just one win, a win streak is even more valuable.

Only diamond 5 and above are problematic since even when you were legend before you only get a star bonus of 10 (11 only if you're in the top 1500 of your region as per developer tweet), which means in D5 you inevitably lose both star bonus and the regular win streak. The last 15 wins you need are probably harder to get than the entire journey from B10 to D5.

Imo to stay sane it's about quality, not quantity. There's no value in playing 50 games on one day if you lose 30 of them and the wins always happen in a way that you do get no progress. At some point I had like 60 games on a day over hours, lost around 30 and still managed to stay on D5 all the drat time.
I rather stop playing after a few games now, get my brain on something else and focus on playing good games with all of my attention and mind on it instead of grinding everything down to simple decks, simple games and braindead play styles just in hopes that I score wins in a good order. Might take longer, but at least it's more fun.

After tumbling from D1 all the way to the floor of 5, yeah, I found that this was a good mindset for making the second climb. Recognize when you’re basically spinning your wheels in the air, and don’t be afraid to take it easy if you’re starting to get frustrated, since that just leaves you liable to make stupid plays and lose games you could have won if you had a clear head.

Also, the other big suggestion I’ve heard is to figure out one or two decks you know how to pilot well and consistently, and play them almost exclusively, instead of just bouncing around if you lose a couple games in a row with whatever your current one is. You’ll most likely have more success as you learn how to play against the other decks, or worst case scenario, you learn that that deck doesn’t really work as well as it used to, and adjust accordingly.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Toshimo posted:

As someone who doesn't really play constructed at all, what do I need to do before the end of the month to score some rewards?

I’d say at least try to get to Diamond if you can, because you now get a number of free packs at the end of the month based on your ranking, and the bottom of Diamond is the last “easy” cutoff point if you can keep a solid win streak going. Plus there’s the one-time rewards for Classic cards for every 5 ranks.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Cool. Is there an easy way for me to export my collection to compare against decklists to see if I'm close dust-wise to anything that would be good enough to hit Diamond?

IIRC, HSreplay has a function that lets you do almost exactly that, or it at least lets you filter for decks you already have most/all of the pieces of in your collection. And the decks that they show the data on for non-premium viewers are usually fairly solid up until you hit Diamond.

The usual recommendation is to just assemble a very aggressive deck and just pound away with it, and Standard DH is pretty dirt-cheap, from what I remember; just sub in any other aggressive cards for any legendaries that you don’t have.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

shoc77 posted:

Hearthstone is my very first CCG and my jam when it first came out and I was heavily invested in it till the witchwood expansion.

The sameness of the gameplay and over the top RNG mechanics eventually wore me out and I've left the game and haven't been back since. How has the gameplay evolved since then and is now a good time to get back into the game for a someone who's been out for a couple of years?

I used to sink about a hundred bucks per expansion to keep up with the meta and I remember the first few weeks of each expansion release is pretty whack and fun when everyone is still figuring out stuff. The problem is that it doesn't take long for the player base to figure out the meta and eventually every match just devolve into everyone playing the same few meta decks and which makes it really tedious and boring.

:(

They’ve increased the amount of RNG card generation by a ton since when you last played... though it used to be even worse with the rest of the sets from that year, too. And Demon Hunter on release was a solid contender for the most broken class in the history of the game.

On the other hand, though, they’ve also become a metric poo poo-ton more responsive to balancing than they ever were back when you last played. They’ve already done two rounds of card nerfs since the expansion launched, where before they basically sat back and waited until well after the point when action was needed.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Also, Altruis is apparently still a stupidly high-rolly card in Standard. The most significant thing the nerf did was kick him out of Odd DH in Wild.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Sounds like the ranked overhaul is working out pretty well so far, considering all of the people I’ve seen (myself included) who reached Legend for the first time ever this month, and some regions have 100k+ who reached it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

If Altruis hit friendly minions too would it be busted with the 4/10 Bonechewer guy or the 3/5 ooze or something or would that be a novelty combo like the BEES/Linecracker one?

My thought - make it hit everything but itself, including the Demon Hunter's face. Make it silly as poo poo if it's going to be silly.

It’d also be incredibly on-flavor for him to hit everyone else, considering his whole deal in WoW is that he was the only DH who turned his back on Illidan without then joining up with the Burning Legion, but almost all of the others still consider him a traitor.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Is there still fuckall Wild data? Last time I checked, there were literally only three decks listed in the free section, and from what I heard from people who did shell out for it, the Premium stuff was barely any better.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Promoted Pawn posted:

VS is good when they get around to doing a Wild report every 6-ish weeks but I think otherwise the best free source for the Wild meta is Tempo Storm.

Do they still do that thing where they post lists that have small but significant changes to the “original” version? Granted, it doesn’t matter too much to me, personally, now that I have legend and have no intent of seriously gunning for it again in the foreseeable future.

And yeah, it’s almost hilarious how woefully far behind VS’s Wild reports are.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Is there any tangible difference in rewards (like the cardback) between getting legend in wild v standard?

Nope! Your end-of-month rewards are determined by whichever format you attained the highest rank in, but otherwise they’re practically exactly the same.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Promoted Pawn posted:

Holy loving poo poo it only took a global pandemic to give me enough time but I finally did it.

Congratulations! I’m just glad that I can finally scratch reaching legendary off my list of stuff that I’ve never done in all my years of playing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

yikes! posted:

I really miss the bumping yetis days :( although I think they're mostly just in my head since druid always had combo, miracle existed, and freezemage and handlock were still kickin. Still, I want a midrange meta but not one dominated by shaman

Yeah, I remember when making a Mage deck with every single Freeze spell and Antonidas as the finisher was enough to get me into whatever the highest rank in the beta was (the one where you had absolutely no clue how close you were to ranking up).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

When is the dumb story mode opening?

If the last few have been any indication, it’ll probably be roughly two months after the expansion released, since they seem to see them as the best way to tide us over to the next one.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Also, if you want super-cheap-but-still-viable decks, DH has competitive decks made up of almost nothing but their Basic cards. The only “must-have” legendary of theirs from this expansion is Metamorphosis.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The thing with Maiev is that I can’t wrap my head around when you’re supposed to be using her power. Early game seems like too much of a liability, mid game... okay, maybe then, and late-game it’s way undertuned and too slow to be worth it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Ohhhh. So it doesn't matter if your deck starts with doubles, as long as you are rid of them by the time you play those cards.

Funnily enough, some dev admitted somewhere that they had considered making the condition of the newer Highlander cards “if your deck started with no duplicates”, but ultimately decided against it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It used to be even worse right after the expansion released.

At least they recognized that they hosed up and issued the fastest nerfs in the history of the game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Holy poo poo Wild Pirate Warrior is busted.

I just faced off against a Reno Mage, had him down to 3 by turn 5... And then I blitzed him back down to 3 again, the very next turn after he coined out the healing Reno, thanks to some lucky hits from a Cannon.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

At least in Wild, you can have total blowout games with the Paladin Mech package... though even with that, you basically live or die based on your opening hand or first few draws.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Doesn’t help that Druid is basically second only to Hunter for “what’s this crap?” for class legendaries.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It’s almost kind of hilarious that Secret Paladin is functionally extinct even in Wild... because it’s just too slow without a big enough payoff to be worth it nowadays.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Isn’t the whole issue with it that the Mage also plays all of their giants the same turn, though?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Chernabog posted:

I don't know if it will fix paladin but it will certainly help. It is especially good for wild with crystology.

While I appreciate the Lurker buff I don't think that's a card that needed it since it is pretty good at what it does.

Wild Paladin is basically just different flavors of aggro at this point. I legit can’t remember the last time I saw any control decks from them, so I’m dubious about this alone making it viable for them again.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

mcbexx posted:

I don't quite get the point of

Most of the time she is played is as a finisher, nobody gives a poo poo about the stats on that card.

Same, I would’ve figured that she’d get bumped up to 4 mana.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

Made it to Diamond 5 with Secret Gala Rogue, the version with two spy mistresses, two ambushes and one of each of the other secrets.

I almost made it there a few days ago with Warrior, but had a few bad games against supposedly good matchups. Kudos to those who can really play it well.

My final "boss" was a warrior who seemed to have no idea what he was doing, playing Risky Skipper on turn 1, etc. My guess is it was someone at the D5 gateway experimenting?

I agree with the Priestess of Fury nerf, but think the crimson nerf was too harsh. Normally D5 will be my stopping point but I'd like to reach Legend once especially after narrowly missing it last month. Any recommendations?

Could just be someone who’s already in Legend just loving around, too; a lot of my matchups last month were against folks in low Diamond/high Platinum.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

IIRC, they’ve also said that the librams are going to be a one-expansion mechanic, not a yearlong thing like the Lackeys, so Paladins in general are probably going to continue to be screwed unless they go all-in on stupidly good cards for the rest of the year.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

They nerfed Quest Rogue despite the sub-50 winrate because it effectively completely shut out control decks from the meta (since it led to everyone using decks that were even faster than QR).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Like playing a bunch of weenie minions for a final rush on the next turn... when your opponent is about to have the mana to play their common board clear(s). You’re basically gambling on them not having it, since they can completely reverse the course of the match if they do play it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Wild Pirate Warrior is hilariously good at total blowout starts if you’re lucky enough with your mulligans. Like, it’s not terribly uncommon to have 3-4 minions on your first turn.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I’d guess that it’s their way of trying to take some of the pressure from ranking up off of you until you don’t have to worry about ranking any more.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Managed to make this a one and done with a few Baristas discounted to 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

There was at least one player at the ongoing grandmaster tournament that had the DH 1000 skin as well.