Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

L0cke17 posted:

I don't understand the dragoncaster nerf in the slightest.
Sideway nerf to puzzlebox

E: Also slightly cuts the mana cheat on power of creation/deep freeze but mainly box

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Throwing out box on 6 or a turn earlier with the coin is poo poo and deserved some form of nerf

The 8 mana spells have less direct impact(outside of creation high-rolls) so them being hit too is an unfortunate side effect

Disargeria posted:

DQA, Rogue Galakrond and Dragoncaster were absolutely broken cards.
It's almost like mana cheating has been a constant source of broken poo poo in card games :ssh:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 10, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Got a watch&learn quest on both of EU and NA today and upon re-roll it stays the same and then completely vanishes once you leave the quests screen. Restarting the game doesn't make it come back so lol good old blizz client

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

DH absolutely deserved every nerf it got. Also while I'm not playing standard my understanding was that warrior was the deck to beat after DH fell off? Bloodsworn+charge combo seems like a good enough way to burst priest but idk

In wild DH is still nasty for a large part of the field because they have four copies of battlefiend to get in enough early damage to just finish you with any amount of reach

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Chin Strap posted:

A usually 6 Mana 3/3 removal is broken?
Yeah that was my first thought too. And priest won't be able to use it at all if they're at 30.

Not seeing this one as busted but as soon as there is some sticky card that does self-damage/heal brittlebone is a looming spectre on the board for sure.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

No Wave posted:

That's actually really good, and it is the floor for this card's efficiency.
Tbf warlock already has this and it saw minimal amount of play so I'd say that kind of floor is just okay in the current level of power instead of good

No Wave posted:

Definitely a better warlock card than priest card tho.
For sure

Firebert posted:

You can't look at it as a 6 mana card, especially in control Warlock because you want to be tapping anyway

Also if Warlock/Priest get access to weapons with their DH/Paladin cross-class cards it will be very easy to drop it for just 4
I get what you're saying but I'm still using the 6 mana lense since that's the total "vanilla" cost of the action behind playing the card :v:

I will however admit that I did not think about the potential of the cross-cards. Kinda hard to evaluate it based on that and on the possible synergy cards that you need to run for it. But if the synergy is cheap then yeah it has potential to be a staple.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 22, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

yikes! posted:

Isn't Keli'dan in all the quest warlock decks?
Afaik it was core for a while but then moved into the sometimes/maybe spot. Could be wrong on that though since I don't play standard and keep up with the meta/decks there through yt content on the toilet

Blooming Brilliant posted:

In Wild, does Discard Warlock run stuff like PO and EVIL Genius? Thinking otherwise, an Egg might be somewhat clunky for the deck even with the synergy.
My discard quest meme deck will play this since it also has the 2 dmg aoe to pop it and it's also good for defile chains

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

This looks a pretty good Giant, for both Priest and Warlock (but mostly Warlock).
Uhh isn't this a big loving lol at molten giant?

Firebert posted:

I really hate the wording of that mechanic lol

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

each time your health changed, not how much your health has changed.
Yes, I'm aware.

I guess it's due to me looking at it from the wild perspective where warlocks can play it on four by going kobold, tap, mistress+tap. Also molten loses its reduction when you heal and this does not. I mean there's currently no warlock deck in wild that really wants this I think but it still looks like a better molten giant to me :shrug:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Both of those cards are very good

Groundskeeper is obvious but Ras has some aspects to it that people might not see right away. Cards that remove and develop at the same time have been historically great in mage. Because that's one of their weak spots. They can blow up all your stuff but just stay stuck in a loop if they can't develop something at the same time. This card is already good at base and sticky with six health. It can lock you out of the board if it sticks for a turn and the mage then plays some form of spell damage behind it. Not saying that it's busted but it has some scary scenarios for board-centric decks

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Promoted Pawn posted:

edit: I think it’s more powerful in Shaman than in Mage because the hero power can spit out a +1, but it could very well be good in both.
Oh lol didn't even see the dual class :v:

Still think that its more fitting for mage but shaman does have the totem advantage and can utilize the effect well to take the board. Remember how maelstrom portal for 2 damage could completely warp tempo games by setting you behind a bunch? Now extrapolate from there to a scenario where it keeps happening. As said I don't think the card is busted or will carry a deck but it does have a lot of potential to become a menace

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

trump revealed a card.

3 mana 3/2 warrior legendary.

Battlecry eqaulity effect, deathrattle whirlwind effect.
4 mana wipe with skipper with the threat of damage for the next minions your opponent plays seems pretty good for ctrl warriors. Yeah it's a one-off but it's all about the toolbox

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

It's good

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

What the gently caress

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Blasmeister posted:

I love bolf ramshield season

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Welp voracious reader is my highest canidate(along with secret passage) for an early nerf because holy poo poo does it enable aggro all by its own. When I saw it first I thought it was a joke because it's such a massive power creep on jeeves which was already good enough for token druid. It's incredibly busted when you can just keep drawing between two and three extra cards per turn and keep vomiting because they are cheap

Reader and gibberling have brought token druid back in wild and I ran it to diamond 10 with very few losses. Just feasting on secret mages and some other aggro decks. Priest/warlock and any reno deck that draws early defense plus reno is tough as expected but you can absoulutely kill them by 4/5 if the draw lines up and catch up later with embiggen. Doesn't feel like tier 1 because your can draw some real clunky hands and it's hard to recover if you get kicked off the board too early but solid at the cusp of T2

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yo any wild experts itt? I've been thinking about finally making the legend push but I always get kicked back down after hitting D2. Been playing token druid/pirate warrior but aggro has a pretty rough time atm with the abundance of warlock/priest/big shaman and the occasional pure paladin. Basically all the aoe and the huge taunts make aggro doa if you don't luck into an insane opener and them drawing absouletly awful. I did hear tells of kingsbane being good but never saw the deck myyelf so far so yeah hmu with some tips that aren't play priest/warlock if possible

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Pardot posted:

I made it to legend last week with this odd paladin
Thanks for the sugegstion. I switched one of the sidequests for another faceless since I feel that the quest is pretty minor and often hard to fit into your turns since you rather want to play tempo. And the corruptor does a ton of work in the deck imo so it just feels wrong to not play two copies. Did it from D3 in a bit over an hour with some matchup luck on the last stretch since I was mainly running into discard/darkglare locks that you can race with a good opener and some board control. Very few secret mages which is good since flak mage is an auto-loss. First final boss was a reno lock that started to BM hard once guldan was down and my % went down to near zero. People that stay silent the whole game and then go hog once it's locked always seem so silly to me but that's HS. Second and last final boss was another renolock that I perfectly sniped with leeroy so the universe is at peace again

First time since I started playing(naxx) so yay I guess. Can't imagine what a soulless grind it must have been under the old ladder system though

mcbexx posted:

Lightning Bloom
Ancestral Knowledge
Snowfury Giant
I stole this and it was extremely good :v:

Four giants on turn 2 is hard to beat

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Darkglare nerf is so weird since that deck wasn't even crushingly good or anything.

Flayer posted:

It's weird to balance new cards in Standard for Wild. Blizz must have some serious plans for Wild card collections to nerf a perfectly balanced Standard card to improve Wild.
It's weird if you only look at it from the outside tbf. This wasn't about "improving" wild but about stopping it from turning into another degenerate "Naga+giants" meta with coinflip games. Darkglare started to become rampant close to the end of the last season and it was deffo headed in that direction asap so I'm real glad that they reacted quickly. Darkglare+raise dead or penflinger/tour guide/flame imp/kobold and many other small cards let you chain draws while cheating mana and getting out flesh/molten giants to win on the spot. On turn three/four or two if the stars aligned and you coined the darkglare with one minion in your raise dead. It got so popular that people were running broom in their list to swing back after the other warlock went off first

If any standard player wants to understand this better, here's a video where GetMeowth and Corbett talk about the deck at around 6 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KujwcZZr2NE

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 4, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

It's worth to keep in mind that secret mage has fallen off a bit since you kinda auto-lose to priest without getting lucky

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Lister posted:

The good news is that there's four daily quest slots so now you can long in every four days. The bad news is that you'll get more packs as rewards in many cases instead of gold, so you'll have less freedom to use the reward how you'd like.
Afaik this slot is for the legendary/event related quests and not for another daily?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

One issue with the new ranked system I failed to foresee is that the bigger weekly requirements, like playing more turns, spending lots of mana, destroying more minions, etc. incentivize long, grinding control decks in Wild. On a small sample size, 2 of 3 opponents this morning were Highlander Priest. I get the feeling this deck was partially held in check by the fact that it was painful to play with outside of an occasional desire to machine gun, but now that they can make huge progress towards mega quests, it's going to see more play, along with similar long-time control decks.
I get what you're saying but reno priest has been one of the most popular/strongest decks in wild for months now so there's no relation here

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

After looking at the set my only real want is to come up with a deck that somehow plays an endless cycle of corrupted clown boards

Honk honk binch

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Got a golden clown

Tin Tim posted:

Honk honk binch

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Amoeba102 posted:

Can still do dailies in tavern brawl, at least the "play as class" ones, because I did that yesterday. Wins as any class also work. Is it the Weeklies that are a problem? Because I've had those not work in friendly brawls.
I didn't get credit for play as class x dailies in brawl yesterday and it would have counted under the old rules for sure so :shrug:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Matchmaking is based on MMR instead of rank

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

How do you beat the fire elemental in the new book of hero? The loving portals just drown me once they roll a taunt or break the bladestorm chains

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah the tiller deck is hosed and should be hotfixed. It's going to become more toxic than snip-lock was if they let it fester and get refined.A few hours after the set dropped I was already running into five priests with tiller otk in a row and then played BG instead

If you wanna brave the trenches then even shaman is my hot tip. I was exhausting their aoe pretty quickly and then murked them with notetaker+surge. You also have some decent chip/reach with eel, axe and crackle. But yeah you're still gonna die if you draw weak or if they find the combo too early. I dunno maybe play disruption-lock with doubles instead of the reno package? Tickatus is probably too slow anyway

Olpainless posted:

it only deals 60 damage

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

That's a thick rear end boy

Also tickatus seems pretty good. There's obviously some variance to it but you can make some good power spikes and multiple shields is dirty af

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Since we don't appear to have a BG thread I'm gonna go fishing for some info itt

I pretty much ignored the mode since release but have gotten into it recently and had a steady learning experience up until now. I feel like I hit my first wall trying to break into 4k rating. I'm seeing a pattern where I often miss the fight for top 4 by a pretty tight margin. Like I'm getting hit for exact lethal or lose fights by what seems like a few stats points and then die on the next one. The others players just seem a tiny bit faster with the scaling. Maybe between 1-2 turns I guess? Feels like I'm on the cusp of snowballing and get murked just right before it. And I'm talking about games where I don't get some obvious boosts like a token start or a speedy tripple into a meaningful 4/5 drop/scaler. I guess what I'm looking for is advice on how to become a bit faster/leaner and keep up with the lobby when there are no obvious directions to follow. Just hit me with your pro-strats and general advice, goons

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Jeza posted:

Getting 1st and getting Top 4 in BGs are almost like separate arts, and with a bit of experience you will know where your trajectory (likely) is going.
Yeah I started to get a feeling for if my comp is going to make top 4 or is on the way to death because my stats or units suck too much

Jeza posted:

Sunken cost generally manifests as either clinging onto early pairs or clinging onto current synergy. When you're shooting for Top 4 and haven't hit the exact rolls you were looking for (like a murloc triple into Brann or whatever), a simple question to always be asking is whether something makes your board stronger. How long you can hold on to things depends a lot on understanding your strength relative to the lobby and your health total. If you're on mid 20s HP and just lost a fight on Tier 4, that Murloc Tidehunter pair absolutely has to either hit or get sold in the first 1-2 rolls in exchange for the most tempo units you can get, even if they have no synergy.
I'm deffo guilty of holding on to weak pairs a bit too often and have tried to pay attention to this to reduce it! Also agree on the need for raw stats at certain points. I guess it's just sometimes too hard for me to let go because I feel like I need a tripple with a lucky discover to have any chance to stay relevant and that getting a few extra stats puts me in the same place next round instead of on a path to winning. It's a little bit the like difference between playing to survive and playing to win in HS games for me. Tough subject without personal examples and full information

Jeza posted:

The new treasure system also plays a role in this, and although it seems like a massive waste to invest in things like the +1/+1 board buff or even the +5/+5 Taunt buff on stuff you aren't sure you'll keep, it can buy you enough time to find find a board that you can work with.
I've gotten better at making those choices but yeah there are times where I'll hold the buff for a round or two when I know that my board is just chaff that will get sold in the same time frame. It also depends on how good I feel about my stats and if I think that I can take some chip. But in general I started to gravitate towards early "tempo now" treasures if I'm not getting very lucky with my units or already have some stat growth going. The instant impact treasures usually help me to "buffer" so that I can hold a weak pair or spike a tavern tier ahead of the pack

Jeza posted:

For a more concrete tip, although it can vary from hero to hero and comp to comp, most good players very rarely stay on Tier 3 to roll. Even if you're leveling in a normal fashion with no extra boost to gold or whatever, it is very standard to level on 8 gold to Tier 4, even if that costs 7 gold and you have nothing to do with the spare gold but roll. The jump in unit quality is worth it, and a triple to 5 is infinitely more likely to be relevant in the longer term than a triple to 4. It's the last turn that you're likely to only take minimal damage from a loss, but the ground you'll make up on Tier 4 is far greater than if you spend an extra turn on T3 in order to level and buy on 9 gold.
Huh, that's an interesting tip. I do think that I'm guilty of rolling on three while looking for a tripple into a 4 drop. I mean there are some decent scalers or units to hit on 4 so that's the allure for me I guess. But yeah the jump from T4 to T5 units is much bigger than the jump from T3 to T4. I'll try to remember to level on 8 gold more often and see if I feel like I'm not falling behind like I do right now

I'd offer the usual advice of watch someone play it. I only watch Firebat for BG, but he's pretty good at explaining his plays/how to maximize your tempo vs. scaling vs. endgame.
Good general tip, yeah. Firebat is actually one of the few HS content producers that I watch and that allowed me to get into BG without failing a whole lot :v:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Jeza posted:

it is very standard to level on 8 gold to Tier 4
Thx again for this tip. Got 2nd three times in a row today and broke 4k :toot:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Blasmeister posted:

drat battlegrounds MMR (?) ranking for someone who's not played since dragons were the newest thing is unforgiving that even ducking in for a 'get a top 4' for a weekly is out of my reach. Guess it's just the hardcores left playing this thing now huh.
You might just be too unfamiliar with the meta and the right curves? I actually just started playing the mode a few weeks ago so I guess my initial MMR was non-existent but I had a fairly steady climb to 5k so far. Around 4k was the first bump where I looked for some advice itt and since then I've improved. I mean yeah there are more than a few rounds where you just die because you putter around with weak stats and don't see any solid units or get any tripples but the majority of the good heroes should go top 4 if you do the common builds and don't get shafted by rng too much. But I assume it's a harsher environment if your MMR has put you into a more hardcore bracket?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I just missed the spicy pretzel mustard due to one tie :negative:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

You can just insta concede all matches and it still counts

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Chernabog posted:

At this point I don't know why they don't just make those quests a log-in bonus.
My soft theory is that it's due to some number scams for the money people. Like even if you insta concede the five games some internal data sheet records that someone played the mode and they can show that number went up which equals success if presented right

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah this wasn't always the case and has been patched in iirc. The wording "play" is now handled that way for all quest I think. But I do remember that you previously had to hit some shady triggers in regards to game length/damage dealt/actions taken or whatever. It sucked real hard when your quests used to not trigger because the game was over too fast or the opponent conceded early.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Tfw you can't google "hearthstone basic decks 2021"

E: Serious answer is that he should have at least one bad legendary that rotated to crack for some commons to make some aggro deck that can grind out five wins

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 15, 2021

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Wow some pretty interesting stuff going on with all the small changes and new cards...might actually play standard after rotation to escape secret mage and tickatus

Also rogue does look grim at first glance but don't forget that we're also getting a new expansion of cards and that rear end blade+poison+tox lady and the new neutral pirate+step is a win con

No Wave posted:

Warrior got that improbably popular card shieldbearer.
Do not speak ill of my gnome wife :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

B-Mac posted:

BGs may be less RNG and slower now but it feels worse to play for some reason. It’s feels like if you don’t get locked into a build early you have no chance at winning. To be fair I’m probably just poo poo and that’s why.
I don't agree with needing a build to win. Imo it has actualloy gotten easier to at least top 4 with just going for stats. I mean there's a difference in the mmr tiers but I'm creeping up on 6k and my basic process(for heroes that don't want to press their button) is to level on 4, 7, and 9 gold. I only lvl on 8 gold now when I get lucky and have a stronger than expected board. Going to 5 usually happens once I can lvl and buy on the same turn and if I don't desperately need to catch up with the lobby. Aside from that it's just the basic process of getting stats, shields and a poison or two. My trash runs now are really the ones where I don't get some steady stat growth instead of not finding certain units

Here's the last game I played today and that's not a comp at all. I even still got a buff slot sticking around for the final fights which was really bad in the previous meta

Olpainless posted:

But yes, Secret Mage is that good. It's easily the best deck in the game, and even hard tech against it is doesn't do much against it's effectiveness.
Ehh, don't really agree with that. It's very strong but a good part of its win rate comes from it destroying people in the lower ranks with bad decks and not enough knowledge of the secrets and the match-ups. I've been feasting on it this season with odd warrior and kingsbane can also out-aggro it a good portion of the time. I don't play reno decks but I would assume they also beat it often enough. It's basically the best "grinder" deck in wild but not the best deck imo