Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Skull of Gul'dan is still the most broken loving thing, I am so goddamned sick of games where I'm winning pretty OK until the DH plays Skull into Skull to draw five discounted cards on turn 9. Priest just can't handle that poo poo - I have the tools I need in my deck, but I can't keep up when the other guy goes through 25 cards before turn 10 unless I draw exactly perfectly. It's so loving frustrating, I've been bouncing between diamond 3 and diamond 5 for the last three weeks from this same bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I think Maiev will always have a home somewhere, but as a tech card - essentially as a better Spellbreaker. The question is really whether you think it's worth crafting a legendary for your tech card slot, which by definition will only be raising your win rate marginally.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Promoted Pawn posted:

Priest looks like it has the toolbox to deal with DH but the problem is that it can’t reliably put up any sort of threat while also dealing with the onslaught. They spend the entire game on the backfoot and their only real victory condition is still being alive when the DH runs out of cards. This leaves them vulnerable to getting bursted out by some combination of Metamorphosis/Mistress/Altruis if their defense isn’t perfect.

Yeah, exactly this. Priest has some absolutely amazing cards to handle DH - the issue is that they basically need to have drawn all of them before turn 10. Or build your deck to do nothing but beat DH, which isn't really practical.

AnacondaHL posted:

It may not be fun, but it is an even matchup. You just really need to get a Scrap Imp or Hand start. Throw away all traditional Zoo openers.

Priest is unfavored against DH, it exists to keep Warrior in check and also Face Hunters at lower ranks.

Depends on the Priest build, I think - against zoo anyway. Demon Hunter is a different story, they have a lot more burst and you can't stabilize behind a taunt wall. I find that against Zoo I can usually wear them down even through their draw, so long as I kept a board presence in the early game and hit at least one of my card generators (Sethekk, Galakrond, the 4/9 dragon).

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

peer posted:

somehow maintaining a positive winrate in dumpster legend with highlander paladin:

### highlander
# Class: Paladin
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 1x (1) Argent Squire
# 1x (1) Sand Breath
# 1x (2) Acidic Swamp Ooze
# 1x (2) Air Raid
# 1x (2) Aldor Attendant
# 1x (2) Hand of A'dal
# 1x (2) Libram of Wisdom
# 1x (2) Lightforged Blessing
# 1x (2) Murgur Murgurgle
# 1x (2) Shotbot
# 1x (2) Sir Finley of the Sands
# 1x (2) Wild Pyromancer
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 1x (3) Bronze Explorer
# 1x (3) Overconfident Orc
# 1x (3) Sky Claw
# 1x (3) Underlight Angling Rod
# 1x (4) Blessing of Kings
# 1x (4) Consecration
# 1x (4) Equality
# 1x (4) Truesilver Champion
# 1x (5) Aldor Truthseeker
# 1x (5) Amber Watcher
# 1x (5) Big Ol' Whelp
# 1x (5) Libram of Justice
# 1x (6) Khartut Defender
# 1x (7) Lady Liadrin
# 1x (7) Siamat
# 1x (9) Dragonqueen Alexstrasza
# 1x (9) Libram of Hope
#
AAECAcOfAx7cA/QF9QXPBooHrwf2B4qaA4OhA6GhA/yjA4SnA4euA4iuA5CuA52uA+ewA5GxA422A5a2A8q4A/u4A/y4A/24A+q5A+u5A+y5A+a+A4TBA8rBAwAA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

5-2 today. You lose to priests but the deck feels almost viable in most other matchups. Would be happy to hear suggestions for improvements!!!!

Probably drop Argent Squire for the 1 mana mech that grows +1 HP every turn?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

NorgLyle posted:

I'm fascinated by queuing into three different people tonight running (and losing with) Highlander Demon Hunter. Are Alex and Zephyrs really that strong that people think it's going to work out somehow? They don't exactly have a big broad selection of cards to deal with all the possible situations or anything really that generates value unlike the other classes that tend to do well with Highlander.

Demon Hunter has very few "bad" cards, and a metric fuckton of draw. Basically, if they draw Skull they're probably fine. It's not as good as the strictly aggro shell, but it's a viable archetype - and IIRC it actually tends to do quite well in the mirror.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
holy gently caress is Zephyrs not working right now

I leave up 2 mana against a hanar with two secrets up and a couple 1/1 buddies, hoping for either flare or pain. I get my choice of flamestrike, tirion, or cleave. what the ever living gently caress is that poo poo

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

No Wave posted:

There's a huge difference between trying your hardest at something that's winnable 100% of the time by the best player in the world and something that's winnable 65% of the time by the best player in the world. You have to be made of ice to give it your all when 35% of the time it turns out you never had a chance.

Conversely, it means that I can still have fun with a suboptimal pile of cards - I can scrape a 50-55% winrate out of what should be 40%. If only skill mattered at all, that "default" winrate would be so low that it wouldn't make any difference how well I pilot, the deck would still be forever dumpstered.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Welp, I'm officially ready for some new cards. This might be a fairly healthy meta on paper, but my three favorite classes are Mage/Paladin/Priest so it just kinda sucks for me. Again. I really tried to make Legend the last three months and it's just not happening, all the stuff I play is just too fair. The draw from DH/Rogue/Warlock is too insane, Warrior has too much damage, Druid has two varieties of bullshit that both depend on being the only class with ramp, and for the millionth season in a row a Hunter playing first with a decent curve is basically unbeatable.

Going Highlander gives anything a pretty high floor, but it's not close to what the actually good classes are doing. Grinding up past diamond 5 (or platinum? I forget which is higher) to legend at a 50-55% winrate just takes too loving long.

I suppose I'm better off still than the Shaman mains.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Amoeba102 posted:

But spell mage is cool and fun.

Fun, sure, if you're OK with absolutely eating poo poo every time you match up against DH or Hunter.

Goons Are Great posted:

I must say I'm really sad about how priest is doing currently. It's the first class I ever really got into and that I used to play massively for ages, but currently it just feels like a complete waste of time. Every priest you see is doing it as an anti-fun measure, stretching the game into infinity for no reason at all, it's not better or stronger than others, it just annoys people to hell by being 100% control with virtually no win condition apart from fatigue or stealing other people's cards.

I know priest has always been slow, some always hated it for a good reason, but there was a time where you actually could ladder with it. Now it's just a waste of time for the same results the strong classes can achieve with 5 turns and 2 minute games.

The archetype I want to work so badly is zoo priest. I think it's actually close, all it needs is draw... which Priest will never get. Deathrattle Priest is also interesting, but it's basically the prime example of "decent at everything except closing out games". You're right about the payoff thing, all priest has right now is resurrections (which are rightfully hated) or the highlander cards (which aren't unique to the class). Otherwise it's just about grinding the slower decks to fatigue, or hoping you can stick a board before the aggro decks kill you.

adamarama posted:

Currently, priest has zero tools to be proactive. It's all reactive bullshit that is unfun to play and play against. The only time I enjoyed playing priest was dragon priest when you had operative. That was 3 or 4 years ago?

Priest has some tools, but they're not playable right now because they're not control tools. I really think the shell for a kickass zoo deck is there; the 2/7 legendary, the 2/2 that adds 2/2, the new spell that gives 2/3 and lifesteal, their dormant 1-drop, Reliquary of Souls... if Priest gets consistent draw look out for it.

That being said, I do really like some of the "reactive" stuff Priest has. Madame Lazul is a super cool card, Sethekk Veilweaver, Renew, and the old standbys of Thoughtsteal and Shadow Madness. They're all technically things that you're only playing in reaction to the board state (except Thoughtsteal), but they're hardly just removal or board clears.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Xguard86 posted:

The true mystery is why I still see so many priests on ladder? Maybe they pick up enough conceeds and misplays to get up to diamond? Or they've decided diamond is as high as they want to rise?

Well, for me it's because Priest has some genuinely fun cards that are more-or-less irreplacable when transitioning to some other class. Thoughtsteal, Shadow Madness, Renew, Madame Lazul, Sethekk Veilweaver, Cleric of Scales, Murozond, Natalie Seline, Mindflayer Kaahrj, High Priest Amet... there's some really interesting stuff going on in the class. Playing a largely reactive game *can* be really fun, you're forced to understand all the ins and outs of literally every deck and class on the ladder. Card generation means that every game in genuinely different, there's a continual series of mini-puzzles to solve every turn.

The problem though is that all those puzzles are largely just to keep you from dying. The class is, as Goons Are Great said, continually underwater and just trying to stay alive. You have no way to consistently take over the board, at best you can keep it clear for one more turn and hope you get a real threat from your opponent's deck because you aren't getting too much from your own. If you face anyone that has anything like a combo, you die. If you face anyone that can go wide consistently, you die. If you face anyone that can play huge minions all the time, you die. If you face anyone that can consistently go face, you die. Note that this is basically everyone, because the reactive gameplan means you just can't have all the answers every time you need them because you have no loving draw.

Stuff like Convincing Infiltrator is not good for the class. Powerful, sure, but not healthy. It's yet another hail mary play, where you hope the opponent can't address it so that the game can drag on one more turn and you maybe find your one neutral legendary that can actually be threatening. The Galakrond package was similarly terrible. Infinite value to give the illusion of winning in control, but without any semblence of burst to actually close out games. I have lost so many times with my opponent at 5 or less HP, because Priest just has zero ways to do anything once they lose the board. I haven't even got into the atrocities of rez priest.

Priest has had one good aggro (or even midrange!) build in the last two years, and it was instantly nerfed into the ground. I do think the rework has gone a long way to reinvigorating the class, a lot of the new cards are very exciting (Apotheosis, Kul Tiron Chaplain). It's just not there yet, and I don't know if they'll be able to do it while Galakrond exists. The last time a midrange deck got access to an infinite value generator we had the drat Hunter Death Knight.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Well, I do always question how people can keep enjoying poo poo like Demon Hunter or basic Hunter, where every drat game plays out exactly the same and everyone has an identical deck construction. As much as I loathe Rogues (they're the natural enemy of Priest, a tempo class) at least they get some variance involved.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
People looked at it as a better Spellbreaker, which had coincidentally just rotated out to encourage the comparison, and said "man Spellbreaker was used a lot, surely this card will go into everything!". What was forgotten is that Spellbreaker wasn't actually used all that often, that it was included in very specific deck archetypes and only for specific metas, and that even a "better" Spellbreaker is still a tech card option.

Maiev is fine, and there's a decent chance it will end up in a ton of decks at some point during it's lifespan. It's just not going to happen unless the meta changes to encourage it due to powerful taunts or deathrattle minions. Right now, with Demon Hunter existing and a couple other powerful weapons in base Hunter and Warrior, Frozen Shadoweaver is much more common as a tech option because it can freeze the face.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I was thinking this adventure was super easy until I ran into Mother Sharaz, and hoooooollllly poo poo. This is awful.

edit: oh, and just for fun you also lose one of your early draws just in case you thought this was too doable

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I think Skull is still the biggest offender. I typically find I can stabilize against DH, but then lose a lot of games because I can't turn the corner on them once they go from a 1 card hand to a 4 card hand, in one turn, while also playing 3 cards and clearing a minion. Altruis is very broken, I'm less worried about Kayn. Warglaives is one of those cards that will just always be a massive problem to design around and they should kill that issue now. Metamorphosis is less concerning than the rest of that list I think, although similar to Warglaives I think it will prove to be an issue sooner or later. I think that Priestess of Fury is a bigger problem. It's also totally bonkers that the class has a totally serviceable control package that no one's ever bothered to play.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Don't sleep on the Priest 1-mana 1/4. The class is really close to having a workable zoo, all it needs is a bit more card draw.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Rastakhan is pretty mediocre, but TGT seems like you'd actually just play that as-is in some decks.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Disargeria posted:

The ladder is now entirely priests. 100% priests. I have only played against priests all day.

see you just need to change your thinking

you see a problem, I see an opportunity

I present: concede priest

### Concede Priest
# Class: Priest
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (0) Forbidden Words
# 2x (0) Whispers of EVIL
# 2x (1) Holy Smite
# 2x (1) Mind Vision
# 2x (1) Psychic Conjurer
# 2x (1) Renew
# 2x (2) Penance
# 2x (2) Sethekk Veilweaver
# 1x (2) Shadow Word: Death
# 2x (2) Thoughtsteal
# 2x (2) Transfer Student
# 2x (3) Breath of the Infinite
# 1x (3) Brightwing
# 1x (3) Madame Lazul
# 1x (7) Galakrond, the Unspeakable
# 1x (7) Soul Mirror
# 1x (8) Murozond the Infinite
# 2x (9) Plague of Death
#
AAECAa0GBtMK65sDt6wDjrEDyL4DyMADDB6XAssImJsDmakDn6kD2KwD8qwDk7oDm7oDw8wDotUDAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

for all your "gently caress you control deck" needs

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Goons Are Great posted:

This is a human rights violation, not a loving hearthstone deck :psyduck:

I went 13-5 with it to reach Diamond.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

adamarama posted:

55% win rate is very high, particularly if youve played alot of games. How is that not a viable deck? I'm not sure what expectations are for DH.

55% is literally the lowest win rate DH has known. How could you blame them for having high expectations? DH isn’t like Paladin for god’s sake, there are standards to maintain!

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Honestly, deathrattle Zoo Priest is already almost a deck. The issue is not that the power doesn't exist, it's that you can't draw for poo poo.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
[laughs in Galakrond Priest]

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I bet molten giant is a lot better, in practice.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Aaod posted:

Isn't this better than molten because it also counts healing?

Being at low health is something that you can pretty consistently have happen in most games without trying. Your opponent does that job for you. Changing your health on your turn is often more difficult. I think molten giants probably are cheaper, faster than this guy. I don't see a way to cheat this guy out much quicker than turn...5? For a Warlock going second that hero powers every turn (including coin -> HP turn 1).

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Seems pretty good, at least situationally? Less so for Paladin because most of the unit they'd want to copy already have divine shield.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Christ one of those DH cards is just Truesilver Champion - does that class really need to be a collection of the best cards that every other class has?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

During the Soul Fragement madness, they also revealed a Priest/Paladin minion that is Sunwalker but much better

Devout Pupil
6 Mana, 4/5 Taunt and DS
For every spell you have casted on a friendly target, reduce the mana cost by 1.

That's an excellent card. Maybe not quite unfair enough, but it'll make the cut in Highlander at least.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Nah. I think my bold claim of the set is that this card won't see much play.

A) it can't go face
B) both Mage and Rogue have plenty of single-target removal
C) the combo limitation isn't trivial

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
So that Theoretical Zoo Priest...

### DK Zoo
# Class: Priest
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 1x (1) Reliquary of Souls
# 2x (1) Renew
# 1x (1) Rocket Augmerchant
# 2x (2) EVIL Conscripter
# 2x (2) Loot Hoarder
# 2x (2) Serpent Egg
# 2x (3) Apotheosis
# 1x (3) Dragonmaw Overseer
# 1x (3) Mindflayer Kaahrj
# 1x (3) Teron Gorefiend
# 2x (3) Wretched Reclaimer
# 1x (4) Grave Rune
# 1x (4) High Priest Amet
# 2x (4) Holy Nova
# 2x (4) Psychopomp
# 1x (5) Al'ar
# 2x (5) Convincing Infiltrator
# 1x (5) Psyche Split
# 2x (6) Khartut Defender
# 1x (10) Deathwing
#
AAECAa0GCsIGqaUD2awDha0DlroD1LoD6boDzr4D374D674DCvsByQaClAONlwOhoQOvpQO2pQO9pgOTugOvugMA
#
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

I've been running this quite a bit lately. As has been said before it is indeed card draw that murders this deck from being A Thing. If you can combo the Loot Hoarder or EVIL Conscripter early you're able to refill after the board wipe, but if you don't you're just dead in the water.

That being said, from what we've seen so far in the expansion there are a ton of really nice tools being added for this... covering everything but card draw. Both legendaries, Gift of Luminance, and possibly Devout Pupil should all make the cut.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Fenarisk posted:

Hunter has a lot more draw with the +2/+2 draw beast card, cast secret from your deck beast,, draw a rush minion beast, tracking, etc.

Hunter also just has way better card quality. Your average Hunter card beats the poo poo out of your average Paladin card - which is to theoretically make up for the fact that Paladin's hero power is better. Remember, a third of Paladin's basic/classic set is their secrets, which are all basically useless - plus such winners as Righteousness, Humility, Guardian of Kings, and Blessed Champion. And those are just the literally unplayable cards, they have a bunch of mostly unplayable stuff too. They lack removal, they lack AOE, and they lack consistent draw. They weren't pushed for card generation. They do have a nice perk in weapons, but even there it's with awkward costs and statlines compared to the classic 3 mana 3/2.

I've tried to run a lot of variations on Paladin Highlander, and it's literally impossible to come close to the per-card effectiveness that Hunter, Mage, or even Priest can.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Is silver hand really the best hero power? 4/10 of the other powers directly counter it. Warlock’s is way better

Warlock is the main competition, yeah. Otherwise, getting a "free" minion is worth a lot, even if Mage/DH/Rogue can theoretically ping it off every time.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I feel like that’s an auto include in every Warrior deck, and decent in most Paladin decks.
Wonder if you are running Aurla, if it’s worth it to trade a Libram of Justice for Barov, limits her Missfire potential.

It's an auto-include in Paladin too. They like Equality, and absolute worst case this is a one-mana-cheaper Equality.

That said, what Paladin needs is some kind of cheap removal. Not more Equality effects, not more expensive minions that are pseudo-removal, not more "this doesn't actually kill things but it's probably fine to turn that taunt minion into a lower-statted taunt minion, I'm sure that's exactly what you need right now".

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Given how the rest of the set looks, what are the odds that the Priest legendary has text that says "win the game"? Not from directly playing a card, obviously, but from fulfilling some condition.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmPuuY-wHfc

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I say this a lot, but I actually think this might be the set where Zoo Priest can actually exist now.

Raise Dead combined with solid neutral draw options, solid cost-effective buffs, and the new legendary to steal your opponent's endgame options are getting us really close.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
We're also getting more support for the Big Pally dream!

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Got a new Rager this expansion too! 4 mana 5/1 Divine Shield.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
They could try going with the Zalae/Firebat crowd, but I bet they are reluctant since those guys are still actively playing on the competitive scene.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Gobbeldygook posted:

There are many great, recognizable choices who aren't loving Kripp! Alliestrasza, Amaz, Ant, Apxvoid, Asmodai, and we haven't even gotten to the other letters.

Well, Kripp probably has more viewers than all of those combined...

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Keymaster Alabaster for certain. I'm not sold on Lorekeeper Polkeit either although I bet that there's some super toxic Druid deck that can use it. Ilucia is interesting and certainly better than some of the other "weird Priest poo poo" legendaries from the past (hello Temporus) but I don't think it's actually good. Archwitch Willow sucks because there's no meaningful demons for it right now. Rattlegore is too slow. Speaker Gidra also seems not great but I don't play Shaman, I might be totally off-base there.

However, that's just about it. Everything else seems to have some quality use case, even if they're not build-arounds or game-enders. 19/25 ain't bad IMO.

Special note on Turalyon, which is that it's good in exactly Duel Paladin - which certainly used to be a full meme deck, but I'm honestly not sure about that anymore. There's a few others that are only going to live in T3/T4 decks as well but I expect they'll still see meaningful amounts of play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Is there something I'm missing with the Fireside event? I tried setting it up for 3 CST and thought there was to be an in-game prompt to start it, but it never popped. I've tried checking in infrequently since then (set it for 4 hours) but nada.

I went through setting one up too and apparently it's only for mobile devices? That's loving stupid.