Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
There's a Chenvaala mage that you occasionally see. It's not particularly good, but if it manages to go off, it's pretty bonkers.

I haven't built it myself, but seems like it's Sorcerer's Apprentice, Chenvaala, draw and cheap spells. Maybe Khadgar would make sense. Almost definitely the "spend 8 mana on spells for a dragon" sidequest (which also incidentally works with Khadgar)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Pirates are definitely fun. They feel a bit like Murlocs once you get higher tier in that there's lots of cycling and fast thinking, especially if you're buying the economy ones (like the pirate that gives you a coin when you buy a pirate).

Got second place with a pretty random comp, had two of the golden scaling guys with 3 goldens and they get big pretty fast (accidentally sold another gold as well, so could have been even harder scaling). Getting goldens doesn't feel too hard with the number of pirates you're buying.

Cannon feels good in the early game but drops off hard, even more so than Soul Juggler. Having two surrounding the auto-attack taunt guy is amazing until someone gets cleave.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 9, 2020

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Chernabog posted:

Hooktusk should get a nerf too. IDK if making it cost 1 would be too harsh but I can't think of anything else other than making it not discover, and then it's almost the same as Maly.

I feel like a good nerf for Hooktusk would be to not allow Tier 1 units to be targetable by the hero power (which makes sense, there's no such thing as a tier one lower than Tier 1). Might be too aggressive a nerf though.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

RatHat posted:

I don’t think Puzzle Box can cast itself.

I think they're saying that Solarian casted two Puzzle boxes, which I think can happen?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Blooming Brilliant posted:

That's some good design philosophy, that went out the window with original Dragonqueen :v:

Yeah, they keep making this mistake over and over. There should be a general rule / design principle that things should never be able to discover or generate themselves, rather than leaving it up to a case by case basis.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Goons Are Great posted:

Yeah well they are okay with generating the same card over and over again, actual infinite loops where a box casts a box casts a box casts a box endlessly would be straight up game breaking, even with the maximum number of queues hearthstone accepts at like 70. Casting this alone would probably eat up two turns for both. Generating tons of dragons that end up in your hand doesn't do this, so they were whatever. :v:

For sure the actual possibilities of infinite loops is way worse, but I don't remember anyone being thrilled about endless chains of Frightened Flunkies (granted, the discover change to not favour class cards helped this a fair bit)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I haven't had any of the new heroes except for Mukla, which I did horribly with - my luck wasn't great, but I still think the hero power isn't quite strong enough to justify spending a coin in the early game (and delaying tiering up / an extra minion / etc.), and in the late game isn't significant enough to be worth much.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Honestly I think "your opponent discards down to 4 and replaces cards they were holding with random cards from their deck" aspect is a much bigger problem than a 4 mana draw 3.

It would probably be too strong if it changed to "discard 4 cards, draw 4 cards", so hand sizes were preserved if > 4, but even then it would be a strong card.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

gandlethorpe posted:

The power level this expansion seems off the charts, yet not broken (for the most part). And they're not shying away from combo pieces. Nothing's even felt like pack filler yet in the ~65 cards they've revealed.

I don't even know if the power level is even that much higher with this set. It's not like DoD where every card was just obscenely strong - there are some super strong effects, but nearly everything has a condition or a catch. I think there's been a lot of evaluating cards by what they'd do in an absolute dream scenario vs. how they would do in actual usage.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

RatHat posted:

With 2 of these could you have a 7 cost Malygos? Also you can discover more Solarians.

This would be great in Spell mage I think. Gives you a way to generate minions that complement your game plan (right now minion generation is super random and Mage has a lot of build-around minions that aren't great when they come out of a Font of Power)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I don't understand why they just didn't change the text on Zoobot and Menagerie Magician. It's not like they're such meta-relevant cards in Wild that it would confuse people when they saw them with different text.

Also, here's firebat as kripp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmZmIQt6MuA&t=627s

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I didn't figure Token druid would still be competitive now - are there many differences in the deck from the treant one that was being played during DoD? I really liked that deck.

Or do you mean the Gibberling one? The forest's aid sort of threw me for a loop, but then I read that you discovered it.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Elysium posted:

I played a game of Eudora last night before the patch hit, and then again just now post-patch.

Played Eudora as well with my first post-patch game, came in 2nd. Still a good hero, you can keep afloat by buying a couple of minions at 6 gold where you'd previously spend the whole turn getting your gold minion. I do think it had a significant enough effect though, and you're really only guaranteed 2 golds vs. 3 now (you might get the 3rd but it's not a guarantee depending on your lobby).

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I always do Mogu cultists in these limited card decks, this was no exception. Research project, frost nova, mogu cultist. Gets a little dicey near the end since your hand is stuffed and you could run out of freeze, but it's such a fun animation when it goes off.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Julio Cruz posted:

is Totem Goliath the worst epic in standard

It seems OK when it's generated by Jandice Berov, but otherwise it seems pretty bad. Does it work in wild at all with that minion that gets a payoff from summoning all the basic totems?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

quote:

Hearthstone Book of Heroes will bring fresh and FREE single player content over the course of the next 12 months, until the stories for all 10 core Heroes have been told. Defeating all 8 bosses in this linear adventure will reward 1 Mage Pack, containing only Mage cards from Standard!

So I guess it's going to be a full year of lovely "fight these bosses" single player adventures. I get that dungeon runs were getting kinda stale, but it would be nice to have something with a bit of creativity behind it.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Regalingualius posted:

This is the first time they’ve explicitly nerfed a Standard card for Wild’s sake, AFAIK, but some of the DH nerfs (Altruis and Warglaives) also had the knock-on effect of weakening Odd DH.

I think the Flametongue totem nerf way back during the year of the Raven was mostly for Even Shaman in Wild being oppressive.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Fenarisk posted:

I just don't know what deck to use anymore. I haven't won a game in the last 8 days (0-18). If I run face hunter I match into control and heals. If I run bomb warrior I match into weapon destruction (2 decks even teaching into sticky fingers). I run aggro rogue or even secret rogue with my own tech including flik, I match into heavy aggro or highlander decks. I dont have the cards for the paladin lists or for turtle mage.

Created by mage - can't tech against a deck that's 90% randomly generated BS.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Created by mage continues to be fun. Got to Diamond 5 with it today, my win percentage is strong enough with it that legend seems totally doable.

There's so many different directions you can go with this deck that virtually every starting hand you can get has something interesting to do (load up on cheap spells for Chenvalla, generate a bunch of stuff for mana giants, get out an early Ras Frostwhisper or Jandice, or just do a bunch of poo poo and cyclone yourself a full hand).

Demon hunter can be tough if you can't find things to freeze face (they can get to 8 attack and cast that "deal your weapon damage to minions" against your mana giants, which is BRUTAL), and druid if you're not well ahead with a lot of resources in hand by the time they get to 7. Bomb warrior can sometimes be a pain (again, finding freeze pretty much locks in the game for you). Everything else seems super easy.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Devils Affricate posted:

It would put it into the same category as the vast majority of other cards, as well as the same category that it occupied before the latest expansion.

I'm not totally sure that Highlander would have run Tortollan if it didn't give you an extra cast of one of your bigger spells. If they coupled it with a mana reduction it would probably be OK (7 mana understatted "cast a spell from your deck" seems fair). That being said, I don't see some huge pressing need to keep a card from a past expansion that isn't even being run in the way it was originally used relevant.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

A lot of people in here were playing a Mozaki mage when the expansion came out, although this one sounds a little different (I don't remember Evocation, although it's not a bad idea)

It's fun when it goes off but it's SUPER dependent on finding Pokelt early enough. The idea is your high end is all freeze stuff, so you stall until post turn 9 when you have both apprentices and enough damage in hand.

I think it's pretty much disappeared from the meta at this point though.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Chernabog posted:

I like Mozaki in the non-combo deck. Just drop her on T5 and she either survives for great value or they have to spend resources to remove her.

Which one? Cyclone or Highlander? I've thought about it in Cyclone, but 5 is a super crowded mana cost in that deck.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Too Many Birds posted:

sad that guardian animals is getting a nerf because that probably means druids are finally gonna have to start crafting decks that are actually effective against face hunter.

it was fun charging up all my secrets before they managed to get to their 7 mana.

Playing Guardian Animals against a face hunter with 2 secrets up but you have nothing else to do is just the worst feeling in the world.

I feel like Druid is pretty hopeless now, Gibberling is a highroll deck that works a third of the time and promptly dies every other time, Treants are an old deck that's probably super outclassed now. You can pray for a good mountseller I guess?

enki42 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 28, 2020

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Elysium posted:

Has anyone pulled off the Al-Akir / Golden Macaw / Golden Goldrin / Golden Baron / Whirlwind Tempest dream yet?

I had golden macaw / golden goldrinn / normal baron with Al-Akir - didn't even think to put in whirlwind tempest, although getting 80/80 in stats on cleave / poison minions seemed fine enough :)

Honestly, even with a spawn it's pretty strong - I couldn't find a goldrinn until super late game and was able to keep up with everything except big elemental boards that had been buffing with rag for a while.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Chernabog posted:

Elementals: haven't played enough but it seems like building around Nomi is the best choice, playing a bit like pirates with a lot of buying and selling.

I think Lil Rag is probably going to end up more of the key piece. Nomi is good but is low, non-scaling stats himself, and you have to keep cycling out your elementals to get better ones. With Lil Rag you can just keep buying and buffing the same guys (and the ones you want to buff tend to be lower tier, like the tier 3 windfury one and the pseudo-cleave.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Fragment DH is super annoying when they get to take out 2 mana giants AND hit my face for 8 with nothing on board.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Wasn't the new game mode supposed to come in this expansion? Surprised they're already announcing the next one before talking about that.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Milificient was changed, but is back to her launch HP, so she's also the same as she was at launch.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

It's gotten to the point where tripling into even Nomi on your 9 gold turn probably means you're not going to do well, since games are 100% decided by who tripled into Djinni.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Duels is fun, but they really have to get rid of some of the OP passives. Robes of Gaudiness is in there, and if you get that alongside a deck that has decent-priced cards, matches become REALLY one-sided. I had multiple games where I had 2-3 minions with 10/10+ stats by turn 3.

Just had a 9 win run and by the time you get up to 8-9 wins the games get pretty nutty. I had a good buff paladin deck going but was finally beaten by someone who had the passive that all low-cost minions are poisonous alongside the rush passive and it was just impossible to stick anything on the board.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

Duels is pretty fun from the few games I played, but there's definitely balances to be worked out. As mentioned earlier, I wasn't heavy into dungeon runs so I'm not sure of the precise mechanics, but the best balance method would be to organize the tiering better so that certain insane options aren't available until you've gotten to a large enough number of wins that the craziness is offset by your opponent's potential craziness.

They do do this - the first set of treasures you get are much weaker than the later ones. You get the OP ones fairly early on though (like after 3-4 games I think)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Strawberry Panda posted:

Are only people playing Duels right now that pre-ordered the mega bundle? If so, I feel like I'm gonna spring for it.

I think you get early access with the cheaper one too (I'm not 100% sure, so double check).

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I think the thing with Robes of Gaudiness is that it makes really boring OP decks. You don't need synergy between your cards, or to do crazy combos, you just dump 1-2 big cards a turn down and overpower your opponent.

OP decks are fine and you shouldn't be playing Duels if you don't want that, but they should at least be cool and not just "lol I played a 5 drop on turn 2."

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Quotey posted:

duels shows how unbelievably bad the paladin basic/classic sets are

the hero power REALLY doesnt help. like i could play zombie chow and keep ressing it? i had an idea with spellbursts/divine shields but there just isnt enough support. kinda wish they had a retire button

I've done really well with Turalyon, but yeah I didn't use much if anything from Basic / Classic. A couple of buff cards, I probably would have included Tirion if I had him.

Anything with Divine shield is pretty decent with the hero power. Goody Two-Shields in particular is nice if you can consistently res it. Dealing 1 damage twice isn't hard for most classes, but doing it every single turn is tougher.

The spellburst legendary (forgot her name) is also really great with the legendary weapon that you get, since you can get a full turn's worth of spells to spend on her.

I'm finding most decks aren't running too much hard removal for whatever reason, so the add 8/8 5 mana card has worked pretty well.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I think a good way to solve elementals would be to eliminate a lot of their early game power, and provide WAY more pressure in the mid-game (tier 3 / 4), so it's less feasible to rush to a triple on 5, which is all anyone ever does. I know people hated cannon, but it at least provided some pressure, whereas right now there's zero reason to hang around at 3 and 4 at all (I find myself just leveling to 4 at 8 gold pretty often these days, just so I get some rolls to find a triple at 5, which feels like the only way to win a game - that should be a SUPER greedy move IMO).

• Definitely Garr and Djinni should switch places
  • Switch both Party Elemental and the taunt at 2 to not scale (maybe Party could be a 3/3, give an elemental +1/+1, and the taunt could be "has +1 health for each elemental you control"
  • Buff Soul Juggler to return it to being a significant mid-game threat (Soul Juggler should be tuned so it eats non-scaled builds with the cleave and windfury elementals for breakfast)
  • Buff up another tribe to give them a strong mid-game (maybe Murlocs? They don't have much to do at the moment and they already can have pretty significant attack at low tiers).

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Yeah, I think the lack of pressure early (particularly at 3/4) is a bigger problem than the lower elementals being super OP.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

The fact that Djinni gets elementals specifically instead of random minions is huge though, because elemental builds generally scale by spamming elementals, and Djinni ends up getting you tons of triples along the way. Pagle is more strictly a pure economy play, it's pretty rare that you get something that you really want to keep off of him.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

A neat change for Djinni might be "Summon a random elemental, add a copy to your next tavern", so you get the elemental synergy but kill any economy gains from it. Elementals are usually crowded enough these days that a guaranteed elemental on your next turn is probably worth it, even if you have to pay 3 gold for it.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I dunno, a 3 mana 4/1 without any immediate on-board effect or stealth is worse than a magma rager. If you can't play the card you draw it's basically 3 mana draw 1.

This set seems a lot more "fair" compared to recent ones. The last few expansions, it's felt like every card revealed was completely bonkers, with this one nothing seems horrible but nothing feels super strong either.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

The mage 4 drop is made much better by that secret IMO. Your opponent can either not damage you, pop the secret and let you draw 3 cards, or you get a 4 mana 8/8.