Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

since we have 2 threads at the moment, crossposting my last post:

AnacondaHL posted:

Oh no....

The Murloc Paladin deck might be legit...

wins vs warrior through 2x Bladestorm 2x Risky Skipper

win on Turn 4 vs Galakrond Warlock

vs Rogue just see who does the most bullshit to win

lose vs every Demon Hunter

tier 1?

HS Replay has Murloc Paladin as the best deck in the meta, for what that’s worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Toshimo posted:

As someone who doesn't really play constructed at all, what do I need to do before the end of the month to score some rewards?

Just play really. You’ll earn rewards as you rank up, which should happen naturally since even if you don’t have star bonuses you’ll hit rank floors that will prevent you from ranking down.

If you’re not making a push to legend don’t really worry about playing the best decks, just play the deck you like best. You’ll probably play better and avoid burning out on constructed if you’re not forcing yourself to play a deck you hate but wins 5% more games over a 10000 game sample.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Regalingualius posted:

Sounds like the ranked overhaul is working out pretty well so far, considering all of the people I’ve seen (myself included) who reached Legend for the first time ever this month, and some regions have 100k+ who reached it.

I suspect that that’s a combination of both the new ranked system and that there’s tens of millions of people not working a job right now.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

I’ve gotten to R1/R2 and then bounced back to R5 three times so far this season.

fuuuuuck ive never taken legend seriously before and im really starting to regret doing it this month

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

fanny packrat posted:

Since I switched over to playing zoo I've played priests in 40% of my ranked matches. That's not a fun matchup at all. HS Replay says priest is about 10% of the meta right now.

Priest looks like it has the toolbox to deal with DH but the problem is that it can’t reliably put up any sort of threat while also dealing with the onslaught. They spend the entire game on the backfoot and their only real victory condition is still being alive when the DH runs out of cards. This leaves them vulnerable to getting bursted out by some combination of Metamorphosis/Mistress/Altruis if their defense isn’t perfect.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

AnacondaHL posted:

Priest is unfavored against DH, it exists to keep Warrior in check and also Face Hunters at lower ranks.

I started from the premise of “here’s why I think so many people are playing priest right now even though it’s not great” and I guess I forgot to actually put that in the post. Whoops.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

What are they qualifying as “Control Warrior” because the only decks I can see under that category have extremely tiny samples

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Regalingualius posted:

Is there still fuckall Wild data? Last time I checked, there were literally only three decks listed in the free section, and from what I heard from people who did shell out for it, the Premium stuff was barely any better.

VS is good when they get around to doing a Wild report every 6-ish weeks but I think otherwise the best free source for the Wild meta is Tempo Storm.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

myron cope posted:

I haven't played a lot in the past couple months and only a few games in the last week have been my only exposure to this expansion but...some of these demons seem crazy. I played a demon hunter that healed for like 15 in the match while drawing cards and doing good damage...it was crazy.

I get that they want demon hunter to be strong but sheesh

And this is the Demon Hunter that’s been nerfed twice already. Day 1 DH was doing some truly bonkers poo poo.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Regalingualius posted:

Do they still do that thing where they post lists that have small but significant changes to the “original” version?

Yeah, they still like to highlight a different list every report if possible.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

World War Mammories posted:

I have not seen this happen personally but based on other mechanics they should resolve in order of play, so the second magtheridon played would destroy the first

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this in a Trolden video.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Blasmeister posted:

Got an 11x star bonus this time, ended the month around 1k legend. Thought it'd only be 10 so not sure if that's from a second invisible legend tier or an MMR thing. Either way, nice

I think the 11x multiplier is supposed to be for top 1500 Legend.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Holy loving poo poo it only took a global pandemic to give me enough time but I finally did it.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 1, 2020

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

E: wait. If I’m D10, and assuming I have a 55% win rate... does that mean I would have to play 300 games to hit legend?

10 ranks, 3 stars each = 30 stars. For every 30 games I win 16.5 and lose 13.5. So a net of 3 games. So I’d have to play 30 x 10 = 300 games to reach legend on average?

I think the 2x winstreak bonus is in place until you hit D5.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Xguard86 posted:

God priest really is the fun killer. I think I'd rather get blown out by DH than smothered to death by priest and their lovely eternally recycling minions.

If it makes you feel any better they’re having a pretty bad time overall on ladder right now.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Yeah if your starting star bonus is 9-10x then the only ranks that really matter are Diamond and Legend. Having a star bonus as low as 2x on top of a potential winstreak bonus means that even a deck with a winrate as low as 35% can climb the ladder if you’re stubborn enough.

If you’re good enough to get an 11x bonus then Diamond is also pretty meaningless and you’re just seeing how high you can finish in Legend.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Goons Are Great posted:

The biggest upside of this is, imo, that I can play fun stuff that might not work while grinding through the ranks up again. If I lose I lose, but who cares if I get 7 stars on a win despite being on gold; even after 7 consecutive losses the netto gain is just 0, which is fine for dumb gently caress decks that I can play terribly while watching a movie or something.

I’m having much more fun playing the deck i want to play (Highlander Mage) instead of the deck I would otherwise feel forced to play (Tempo DH). I really like this new system.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Fenarisk posted:

I'm really liking libram paladin, I feel if it gets just 1 or 2 good cards next expansion it'll be in a good place. I just like the style of multiple routes for buffing.

It just needs another way to draw cards. People complain about Divine Favor being gone but i think even something as slow as Acolyte of Pain would have put the deck into the mix, especially since it would make a particularly juicy libram target in the mid to late game. “Oh, don’t mind this 3 mana 5/7 that draws me a card every time he gets hit, he’s not doing anything important.”

edit: now I’m imagining Enrage Warrior with Acolyte and I’m glad it’s gone again

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

GTO posted:

I love all the random powerful turns you get these days but I find yoggs puzzle box just too random. Has anyone done stats on the likely outcome if you play it in different board states? (ie you control the board vs they do). Feels like it has lost me more games than it has won.

If you’re ahead you’re better off just developing your game plan because a known moderately good outcome is better than flipping the board over. If you’re neutral you should probably only play it if you otherwise don’t have anything else that can meaningfully contest their next turn or two. If you’re behind and nothing else can catch you up or you suspect they’ve been setting you up for lethal, gently caress it let’s gamble.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Correct, give in to your fear. You are a pawn. Praise Yogg-Saron.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

So Highlander Mage has been bumming me out with all of its disappointing filler that lead up to payoff cards which simply don’t seem to do enough anymore so I decided to make a straight up simple Mage dragon control deck.

Removal Suite:
2x (1) Arcane Breath
2x (2) Frostbolt
2x (3) Scalerider
2x (3) Imprisoned Observer
2x (4) Fireball
2x (5) Rolling Fireball

I tried to key my cheap removal around 2 health for I think obvious reasons. Scalerider is loving bonkers right now and any dragon deck that isn’t running as many as possible is doing it wrong. Imprisoned Observer is great but with the slight caveat that if you just jam it out on turn 3 against an aggressive opponent who’s been developing well the first few turns then it’s probably going to be a turn too slow. One of my favorite plays with this deck is to coin out Scalerider on (2) then following up with Imprisoned Observer on (3). It’s almost game winning by itself against aggro/tempo decks. She’ll contest the board just enough to keep the opponent from punishing you too much for playing the Observer on curve.

I’ve been waffling back and forth between Ray of Frost and Frostbolt, but I think I’m settling on Frostbolt. I want there to be some flexibility in my early removal as far as damage output goes, and I think having a 3 damage option before Fireball comes online is important. Also being able to hit face for lethal or even just freeze their weapon for a turn can be worthwhile.

Dragons:
2x (4) Twilight Drake
2x (5) Big Ol’ Whelp
1x (5) Malygos, Aspect of Magic
1x (9) Alexstrasza
1x (10) Kalecgos

7 Dragons seems to be the sweet spot. The only real debate here is if Whelps or Cobalt Spellkin are better in the (5) slot. Personally, I think while almost all of Mage’s (1) spells are good, the extra 2 points of attack and drawing a card from my own deck are more valuable. By the time I’ve weathered the early storm, I’m looking to turn up the pressure and making them respect my 5 drop counts for a lot here. Malygos is surprisingly mediocre because usually I have better things to do in the mid game, but sometimes it’ll keep you alive in a pinch.

Big Swing Stuff:
1x (2) Astromancer Solarian
2x (6) Dragoncaster
1x (8) Deep Freeze
2x (8) Power of Creation
1x (10) Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron
1x (10) The Amazing Reno

Arcane Breath and Scalerider are good early game payoffs for running the dragon package, but Dragoncaster is the real deal. Stabilizing on (5), putting an absurd amount of stats on the board on (6), then attacking/Fireballing for tons of damage on (7) are how this deck ends games relatively quickly. Power of Creation is better in most situations just because of the flexibility, so I’m favoring it over Deep Freeze. Solarian Prime is an amazing play pretty much any time, she usually helps when behind and locks things up when ahead. Puzzle Box and Reno of course are great ways to get yourself out of sticky situations.

Tech/misc.:
1x (2) Acidic Swamp Ooze
2x (3) Arcane Intellect

Acidic Swamp Ooze is just a really good tech card right now, almost all of the top decks in the meta run weapons of some sort. The Arcane Intellects are the worst cards in the deck, frequently I never have time to play them or never have the need to. I’m thinking of swapping them out for some combination of Bloodmage Thalnos, Evocation, and Conjurer’s Calling.

Overall, this deck has really surpassed my expectations since usually decks I make myself don’t really do that well but it seems to be holding its ground in the D5 tier against all the try-hards. Solid early game defense, big mid game punch, and enough gas to keep going in a long slog.

AAECAc2xAgjFBIoHip4DwqEDjLYD4bYDjbsD3sQDC7sCqwSWBY0IoJsD+qwD7K8D8K8D57ADh7EDw7gDAA==

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 6, 2020

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Amoeba102 posted:

I like this post. Dragon mag was my pre-rotation deck, but I swapped to tryout spell mage. Good to s imprisoned observer in a deck.
My question is, what about the explorer dragon? Not necessary to get more dragons with a kinda soft taunt?

Spell damage +2 is nice, but a (4) is just too much for a 2/3 in my opinion. This deck already has plenty of value generators, if I’m spending (4) on a play I’d rather play a Twilight Drake.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Small correction, but Druid got the 4th class highlander card, not Rogue.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

I don’t regularly play Hunter but I was under the impression you open palm slam Imprisoned Felmaw onto the table ASAP.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

RatHat posted:

Well that's a new one.

No, it’s a year or two old now. It will forever be the only Paladin hero I ever use. Too bad I still almost never use it because I don’t like the class very much.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

lol how did i not notice that

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Julio Cruz posted:

is Treant Druid any good? just unpacked a golden Goru and wondering if there's any point in keeping him

Not at the moment, Druid is very nearly in the bottom tier with Paladin and Shaman. Maybe next set?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

I cruised into legend this month with Highlander Priest, facing almost nothing but Warriors, DHs, and other Priests within the D5-D1 range. Even Rogue seems to be disappearing, at least from my limited perspective.

My final boss was a standard Galakrond Priest, and we went deep into fatigue before my highlander cards ended up being the deciding edge. It felt fitting afterward to craft a golden Galakrond, the Unspeakable to commemorate my fallen yet worthy opponent.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

AnacondaHL posted:

uh oh, Warrior was not nerfed enough.

Notice how Brute’s new 5/8 stats slot perfectly against Priestess’ 6/5 too.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

I’d have probably made Risky Skipper a 1/2 and touched nothing else but I don’t work for Blizzard so what do I know

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Goons Are Great posted:

What's your setup? Currently running around with the Kibler version but I feel like it's not optimal in any direction and instead tries to just answer everything thrown at you. That works but is annoying to play, as the games take absolutely forever.

I’m just using the VS list with no changes.

https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/decks/dragon-highlander-priest/

AAECAa0GHh7cAZcCyQaNCNMK65sD/KMD0aUDmakDn6kD8qwDha0D57ADgbEDjrEDkbED47QDmLYDk7oDr7oDsLoDuLoDyL4Dzr4D5r4DyMAD2MIDptUDp9UDAAA=

It’s a bit more proactive than most lists, but Priest is just prone to long games in general. Mirror matches doubly so.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Julio Cruz posted:

people have been discussing making her undiscoverable but I don't think that's happened yet so your opponent may have just gotten lucky

or Warlocks can get multiple Alex with Expired Merchant

Things that discover or generate random dragons can create DQAs but DQA can’t create another copy of herself.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Julio Cruz posted:

decided I'm gonna dust some legendaries to build myself an actual good Standard deck, which of these would people say are safe to dust? these are what I've got which don't seem to see any play even in Wild

Goru the Mightree (golden)
Lucentbark
Tyrantus
The Marsh Queen
Boommaster Flark
Sir Finley of the Sands
The Glass Knight
Chameleos
Face Collector
Hallazeal the Ascended
High Priestess Jeklik
Blood-Queen Lana'Thel
Hir'eek the Bat
Woecleaver
The Boomship
Nat Pagle
Moroes
Harbinger Celestia
The Beast (golden)
Marin the Fox
Nozdormu
Deathwing Dragonlord (golden)

Marin the Fox is uncraftable so you also can’t dust it unless you spent 3200 dust on the golden version. Other than that I don’t see anything that gets serious play right now, though I’d advise that you might want to at least hang on to cards that are still in Standard in case they end up becoming good sometime later this year.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Turncoat Mommy posted:

Legend is the new dad legend.

Yeah the new system removes a good chunk of the grind that was previously needed and a lot of people have much more free time on their hands these days. A lot of “Dad legend” players like us who had the skill to hit legend but not the time to grind their way there are now finding it much easier due to those overlapping factors.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

I’m in the 2000-2500 range and it seems about half my games are against similarly ranked legend players and the other half are D3-D1 players.

Devo posted:

I'm currently playing against a Demon Hunter with the 1000 win skin. What the gently caress.

What, you don’t play 2000 games a month?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

AnacondaHL posted:

Just because you can't see the decisions doesn't mean they don't exist.
fuckin’ bodied

For real though, playing aggro isn’t any more mindless than playing control, or at least it shouldn’t be. Knowing your outs and playing to them, anticipating responses, reading your opponent for openings, maximizing your damage per card, knowing when to shift from board control to chasing lethal, there’s still lots to do in 75 seconds. Even decks like face hunter need to make a bunch of these decisions and the answers aren’t always obvious. Just because a deck can be autopiloted doesn’t mean that it’s the correct way to play it.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

If you get to top 1500 you get the 11x star bonus on the next season, otherwise you’re just playing for fun at this point.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

AnacondaHL posted:

Right, so mid-June they release PvE content to tide us over for 2-3 weeks, then new expansion 1st or 2nd week of July.

Normally the expansions release in April, August, and December. It’ll probably be a few weeks before they make the pre-release bundles for the August expansion available but 5-6 weeks before the expansion itself.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I just started playing regularly after starting up like a year or so ago (when I got all the classes to at least 10). DH is a fun addition, but my question is should I be prioritizing the basic hearthstone packs with coins or the latest expansion?

It depends on if you plan on staying long term. If yes, and you’re willing to take a few years slowly building up your collection as sets come out, prioritize the Classic set because those cards will always be Standard legal barring some fundamental change to how Standard works. A lot of the cards won’t be very good right now but their eternally legal nature makes them a good long term investment. If no, prioritize the most 2 most recent expansions (and the 2 most recent single player releases) because they have some of the most powerful cards available to play with right now.

Eventually you’ll get to a place where you have an adequate Classic collection and can start saving gold between expansions to buy 50-70 packs of each one as they come out. Start doing this and within the next 1-2 years you should have a decent enough collection of every legal set that you’ll probably always have at least one tier 1 or 2 deck available to you at any given time.

If you want to just get something to play with right away and work on Classic after, I’d focus on Demon Hunter. It’s still one of the best decks in the game even after getting hit with 3 waves of nerfs and it’s cheaper than it looks because a bunch of its cards come from completing the free Demon Hunter content. Almost all of the other cards come from the latest expansion too so you get more value for gold than buying any other expansion because these cards will be legal until April 2022.

### Custom Demon Hunter
# Class: Demon Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (0) Twin Slice
# 2x (1) Battlefiend
# 2x (1) Beaming Sidekick
# 2x (1) Blazing Battlemage
# 2x (1) Crimson Sigil Runner
# 2x (2) Chaos Strike
# 1x (2) Spectral Sight
# 2x (2) Umberwing
# 2x (3) Eye Beam
# 2x (3) Frozen Shadoweaver
# 2x (3) Satyr Overseer
# 1x (4) Altruis the Outcast
# 1x (4) Kayn Sunfury
# 2x (5) Glaivebound Adept
# 1x (5) Metamorphosis
# 2x (5) Warglaives of Azzinoth
# 2x (6) Skull of Gul'dan
#
AAECAea5AwTMugPDvAPaxgPVyAMN/acD+a4Di7oD17sDxLwD4LwD1r4DusYDx8YD2cYD98gD+cgD/sgDAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

AnacondaHL posted:

My first ever Top 1k Legend finish, and back into Top 200 Americas in BGs (after three months).

May was a Good Month :toot:

Holy poo poo, congrats!